Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

There were many different classes of classic cars.  I'll lump them all together here.

1230369035_IMG_8433-Copy.thumb.JPG.1c38e2d41ff13d544e1bc4eef06e7749.JPG

1402460071_IMG_8434-Copy.thumb.JPG.ace7b4bb9b32a6eb26c23f7b9a296cb1.JPG

1200676330_IMG_8435-Copy.thumb.JPG.eaac1ec85cd990cfe5b8a5a005bc9d07.JPG

6768903_IMG_8436-Copy.thumb.JPG.b1ede410440c18bbc47180a57eb20fb9.JPG

2046114013_IMG_8437-Copy.thumb.JPG.61e4ba5f8c6d00d2519c1e9a7858fc12.JPG

165395548_IMG_8438-Copy.thumb.JPG.7961145861cf7eaf1cb9caf7a1a3ef5c.JPG

931564728_IMG_8453-Copy.thumb.JPG.944ef5b5b7ce66e4e64e5e5ba095ffbf.JPG

IMG_8455.thumb.JPG.a7581ec726803c0ed709a48b41668e3d.JPG

IMG_8454.thumb.JPG.e7d1d32ad7479de00bd14e337e652dd0.JPG

IMG_8457.thumb.JPG.86a17bed787a4e3657e84448212e2b1d.JPG

IMG_8458.thumb.JPG.ada98526610aa83e034340f31e5653c5.JPG

This 1933 Silver Arrow was spectacular

IMG_8460.thumb.JPG.f64675ff91b1020a0d7e9c02359fb2c1.JPG

IMG_8459.thumb.JPG.5f37a4841ccdc78d6046410a200c2d96.JPG

IMG_E8462.thumb.JPG.21d2f462766e95d751525fc99eec2978.JPG

IMG_8463.thumb.JPG.e4948a1d58d6366941fa0f05dfba22bf.JPG

The Duesenbergs were really incredible.  The technology that they built into their cars at the time was amazing.  The chassis alone would cost $7500.  By the time that you added a coach and a few other items, these cars would typically sell for $15-20K.  That was at a time when a Ford Model A roadster would sell for $450.

IMG_8464.thumb.JPG.88a92a01291490c0db1675514a0d3a55.JPG

IMG_8465.thumb.JPG.85504146b73662e6bf8c2f37fbb58c0b.JPG

IMG_8466.thumb.JPG.4b73fc29d1eeaf3be18b63776cf7f2f1.JPG

IMG_8469.thumb.JPG.c8977a3f10d369d38837a778f0f5b46d.JPG

IMG_8470.thumb.JPG.05b297dda656bb6f7b8c476dd5fb229c.JPG

IMG_8471.thumb.JPG.1ae94b720b643c38f9fa087fac775e4d.JPG

1175008816_IMG_8447-Copy.thumb.JPG.47e81e33f0ef7bfd7bee9c80cd726e5c.JPG

839741637_IMG_8446-Copy.thumb.JPG.d8bd4b5db882c881cf7fcfa17b02bb09.JPG

I loved the colors on this 1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible 

1098850451_IMG_8448-Copy.thumb.JPG.1564bfba124feeb1df26a9be3adb3624.JPG

Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts, "Horseless Carriages", and more

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Beautiful car.  Before I finished reading I thought, why would you park it out with so many walking around it.  I don’t think I would either and I don’t think I would spend that much for a car. Thinking about it, where would you drive it.  If I stopped anywhere I would be concerned letting it sit in any parking spot.

I'm sure that some of these cars are never driven unless under very specific conditions.  They're really no different than art.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and pricing often seems to make no sense (other than supply and demand).  Some of these are just investments by car people who have a lot of money and want to own a piece of history.  Some keep them "permanently" in their collection, while others buy and sell.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

So my retirement free tickets have to be used by early Nov or I lose them. We were planning to go to Australia for your spring/Summer in October but have recently found our we're going to be grandparents again early Sept 😊. So we don't really want to go away now in our Autumn. Thinking as an alternative to go end of march but looking at the weather we're having second thoughts . It's been a long cold winter and would really like some sunshine. Do you think the weather in Sydney or Melbourne might improve early April or just get worse 🤔 

Impossible question I know .....

Congratulations on being grandparents again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's it for the 2022 Amelia Concours d'Elegance.  Sorry for filling up so much space with car pics.  I'm glad that some of you enjoyed it and I apologize to the rest.  It's not really cruising content and it's certainly not "routine" for me.

For those wondering, I learned that the correct pronunciation is for the s in Concours to be silent, and for d'Elegance to be pronounced as one word (i.e., delegance, not de elegance). 

The final awards were professionally broadcast on a large screen at the opposite end of the show field from where they were held.  I'm sure that Hagerty, who now owns the show, has it recorded but I don't know if they will ever post it anywhere.  I did find a blogger who live streamed almost all 2 hours of it (missed the first couple of minutes) but it's all hand-held from a single camera.  Better than nothing if you really want to watch it.  Click here.  The video quality improves after the first couple of minutes and the winning cars do drive right past him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

There were many different classes of classic cars.  I'll lump them all together here.

I have always enjoyed foreign sport cars.  As a teenager I tried to get a loan to buy a Jaguar XK-E.  It looked beautiful and the owner was selling it for $3,000.  I couldn’t find a co-signer.  My friend liked rebuilding Triumphs.  I was a big Austin Healey fan.  I always wanted the 3000.  I once tried to rebuild a Bugeye Sprite.  The wiring was totally shot along with other things.  Never got it together.  Although I made money selling the parts, I would of enjoyed the ride much more.  For the last 20 years the thought of a sports car has been gone.  Our driveway is steep enough that we need vehicles that sit up more.  I Still enjoy seeing a nice sports car.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm sure that some of these cars are never driven unless under very specific conditions.  They're really no different than art.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and pricing often seems to make no sense (other than supply and demand).  Some of these are just investments by car people who have a lot of money and want to own a piece of history.  Some keep them "permanently" in their collection, while others buy and sell.  

This exactly. Some of these cars will have been out of their cocoon more this weekend, than their last 20 years of existence.  

My friends shop a few years ago did a dry restoration (no fluids) of a Shelby Cobra, to which then sat in the owner’s home never to have been driven. In sat in his living room if I remember correctly.  A car valued over a million just to sit, over and above the restoration cost.  As crazy as it sounds it’s all relative. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I hesitated responding but I felt compelled to do so.  There is no "good part" about someone's death, when  it relates to hospital budgets. Just my own opinion.

33 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Fingers crossed I can take Charlie home today.  White count near normal but arm still swollen, not as bad though.  I am leaving soon for the hospital.🤞🙏

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Today should be a high of 76f here in PA.  Yesterday was 70f.  I have some windows open, nice fresh air!

Strong winds coming tonight and should be in the 50s most of the week.  

I was in Philly yesterday & it felt like an late spring / early summer day. Chance of wet snow & rain here in NY this Wednesday. 😐 I hate those annoying little messy snow falls. If it's going to snow, give me SNOW so I can use the snow blower again. I need to burn up the gas in the tank.  Although checking gas prices in the low $4.00 per gallon range, I may want to siphon it out for the cars. LOL

33 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Often I see y’all get the same weather we had a day later and 5 to 10 degrees less.  Last night at midnight it was 72° and the wind became very strong.  We were in a tornado watch and a close county north of us had a tornado warning.  It is currently 43°.and forecast to be be 31° early tomorrow morning. The weather sure has been a roller coaster for several months.

Weather this week is going to be a roller coaster. Highs ranging from 67 down to 37 and then back to the mid-50's. Lows will be also all over the map from 41 down to 21.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

If someone  leaves their  tv on a news channel all day, they will have bigger issues than tv burn in.  I used to be guilty of watching a couple hours of news a day.  Now that I watch a very limited amount, life is so much more enjoyable.  

My wife, her daughter & pretty much everyone on her side of the family would frequently leave the TV on as background noise. It could be news, HGTV, Comedy Central, whatever. My problem is I'm easily  distracted or maybe have a slight touch of ADD and would stop whatever I'm doing and watch whatever was on TV, even if I had zero interest.

49 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Completely agree.  I probably take it too far in the other direction and gave up watching news all together.  Things sometimes happen locally or in the world that I don't know about.  Ignorance is bliss.

I was the same. I gave up having the newspaper delivered to the house since I can look up the news on the internet.  But a newspaper has a finite amount of news and when your finished, your done.  Looking up news stories on the internet would just drop me down into a never ending rabbit hole of info.

Kind of like Cruise Critic  but a lot less fun.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I enjoyed all the car stuff, it was a nice diversion 😁

Agreed. Thank you @bobmacliberty for taking the time to post all those pictures in an organized manner.

One thing I love about looking at the old cars, especially anything pre-1980's,  is how simple the interiors of the cars were, especially the dashboards with the basic dials and controls.  It worked and did everything you needed to do.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

The station we go to is charging $4.29 a gallon and they are the cheapest in the neighborhood!

I filled up at BJ's on Friday at $3.55.  It was $3.90 there yesterday and up to $3.98 today.  I have our home heating oil on auto delivery and got 162 gallons last week at $4.79/gallon. 😱

19 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

The station we go to is charging $4.29 a gallon and they are the cheapest in the neighborhood!

Most of the gas station in my area are around that. I swear I think some gas stations are changing the price by the hour! lol

There is one station that has been charging $3.99 but that was yesterday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I have our home heating oil on auto delivery and got 162 gallons last week at $4.79/gallon. 😱

I'm having a delivery coming today. Probably be at least 200-210 gallons and the price is $4.96/gallon. 

That's the price of a new 55 inch LG OLED, btw.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

Fingers crossed I can take Charlie home today.  White count near normal but arm still swollen, not as bad though.  I am leaving soon for the hospital.🤞🙏

Got my fingers crossed as well that Charlie can come home. Give him our best!

41 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's it for the 2022 Amelia Concours d'Elegance.  Sorry for filling up so much space with car pics. 

Thank you Bob! I loved all the car pics. What an amazing event. Thank you for sharing. A lot of automotive history right there.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

39 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

This exactly. Some of these cars will have been out of their cocoon more this weekend, than their last 20 years of existence.  

My friends shop a few years ago did a dry restoration (no fluids) of a Shelby Cobra, to which then sat in the owner’s home never to have been driven. In sat in his living room if I remember correctly.  A car valued over a million just to sit, over and above the restoration cost.  As crazy as it sounds it’s all relative. 

It's a shame because many of those cars are meant to be driven. My neighbor had a 1955 or 56  Ford Thunderbird -  when it was a 2 seater - and drove it every weekend. It was in pretty good shape but certainty not a show piece. It certainly helps what he had a friend(s) that could manufacture hard-to-find parts.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I've always said, everyone needs to have a hobby on which to waste money.  This is especially true for collectors.  It's just that some things are more expensive to collect than others.  For me, I "waste" my money on golf.  Oh yeah, and cruising.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've always said, everyone needs to have a hobby on which to waste money.  This is especially true for collectors.  It's just that some things are more expensive to collect than others.  For me, I "waste" my money on golf.  Oh yeah, and cruising.

My expensive hobby’s are my music studio, cruising and fine bourbon.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm having a delivery coming today. Probably be at least 200-210 gallons and the price is $4.96/gallon. 

That's the price of a new 55 inch LG OLED, btw.

This was our last delivery until the fall, so that is good.  We only get three deliveries a season, October, January and March.  

• Like 1