Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

25 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Well, some of us went crazy when gas went over $1.00, gas pumps weren't designed for that. The most they could handle was 99.9 cents

Some pumps would shut off automatically after $50 worth of gas was purchased as nobody could purchase that much gas. That is, until people bought larger SUV with 20+ gallon gas tanks and once gas went over $3.00 a gallon, pumps would shut off before they could fill up their tanks.

@Sea Dog

I just wanted to apologize to you when I made that reference to wild turkey.

Looking back, I do not know why I was so stupid to put that in.

I hope you will accept my apologizes.

And let me share a drink with you on the Bella Cruise.

Take care

From the stupid one.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

My son said remember when we thought over $4.00 a gallon was  ridiculous.  Now we are happy to see $4.55!

27 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The first time I was in a gas station with my car it was 36 cents a gallon.

When adjusted for inflation, gas that cost  35 cents a gallon in 1970 is the equivalent to  $4.49 today.

So I guess we are still in the era of cheap gas😲

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

My son said remember when we thought over $4.00 a gallon was  ridiculous.  Now we are happy to see $4.55!

That is how they play the game. First they jack the price up to astronomical so that everyone will be happy when they lower it from astronomical to just ridiculous.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Gas at BJ's was $4.17 when I filled up earlier today.  I only had to pay $4.07 since I had bought something in the store that gave me $0.10 off per gallon.  Last month, they had a promotion that was $0.75 off per gallon if you bought four of the items that were on the promo list.  One of the items happened to be the bottled water we drink.  That was really good savings when filling up my DH's truck!

• Like 5

My dad would always say how it liked it when gas was .25 cents a gallon. He'd carry a $10 roll of quarters in the car which would be good for 2 fill-ups and still have a few left over. That system went out the window when it went to .28 cents a gallon and now he had to include nickles and pennies. 😄

Still, he could get a complete fill-up, hand the attendant $5 & get change back.   And this was when he was driving full-size Ford Galaxie and LTD's with the gigantic gas tanks.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

And this was when he was driving full-size Ford Galaxie and LTD's with the gigantic gas tanks.

My dad had a Ford Galaxie 500. I have not thought about that car in so long until I read your post.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StanleyandGus said:

I said that I would take photos of the garden. The circular garden in the front yard we put in last year. The long garden, and rock/ garden-y thing is a month old.

The neighbours are relieved, because it replaced a horrible black fence and a rotting retaining wall.

As a bonus, there’s a photo of Thor being lazy. Staying off furniture lasted about 2 minutes. 

I don’t know how to organize photos nicely. 

8A4CED4D-DF0F-462B-A9E6-6C2D92C02897.jpeg

BD1ED9FF-4B50-4944-A93A-8AEB9E6DAFE1.jpeg

224948FE-FF77-4280-AFE1-9EA6D6AC3BD0.jpeg

411E0E99-93F7-4501-911A-F2A5E3147883.jpeg

Thor is adorable.    Your garden is beautiful and I love your roof too😀    Everything is beautiful.    Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Few pictures of the corn coming a long and first 2 sunflowers opening.

First ears starting to form.

20220720_152409.jpg

20220720_152422.jpg

20220720_152450.jpg

20220720_152442.jpg

20220720_152544.jpg

20220720_152621.jpg

20220720_152636.jpg

Looks Great!     I absolutely love sunflowers.

I am sad that mine are already bloomed and done.   I have them hanging in the shed to dry out the seeds.

• Like 1

Reporting on eggs and gas prices.....

I just bought a dozen local brand of eggs at our small market in town for $3.99. There were some in the case- maybe free range- that cost $7.89 !!

Gas prices are ranging from $4.25 to $4.77. There is a different price for cash and credit.

I happened to check what the minimum wage was in 1972 the other day. It was $2.00. I’m not sure what it is now. Maybe $15.00.Seems that it is all relative.

We have been tightening our belts a bit with groceries,clothing and other “extras” we may not need right now. I feel for families with teenage sons that can eat up a storm. 

Makes a person wonder how high prices can go.

Maybe we should take out those hydrangeas and plant tomatoes and other veggies. Just a thought !🙄

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My dad had a Ford Galaxie 500. I have not thought about that car in so long until I read your post.

He had two: a 1964 sedan and 1969 station wagon, which was eventually handed down to me  and became my first car in 1981. Since it was much bigger than anything my friends had, I became the go-to guy whenever large amounts of people and um, party supplies (i,e, kegs of beer) needed to be transported.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eggs in my area are around $3.50 for a basic store brand dozen.    If you want to get the fancy cage free, brown, etc etc expect to pay $4.50 to $8 a dozen.     I was shocked when I went to the store and a jar of Hellmann's mayo was $5.99 - I think that doubled in price this year.    Everything costs more, except for toilet paper and paper towels - they seem to be the same as 1 or 2 years ago.     I really don't know how some families are keeping their head above the water with the cost of everything.    

I would love to hear about your river cruise in Europe.    

River cruising is very different than ocean cruising.  We did Avalon on the Rhine and Moselle, 11 days.  The maximum capacity was 130 and we had 79.  We really enjoyed seeing all the historical sites.  Most of the excursions are included.  We did 3 extra ones and the cost was $368 for both of us.  I thought that was very reasonable.

Breakfast and lunch were buffet.  Some good some okay.  They made eggs to order each morning.  My pet peeve was I had to make my own toast.  Not a huge deal, but a little irritating.

Dinner was a sit down meal with lots of courses.  It took anywhere from 1.5 hours to almost 2.5.  That’s too long for us.  There are very limited alternatives.  I guess RC has spoiled me with lots of places to eat.  Our first regular cruise was in 1979.  River cruising reminded us of that.

Our final opinion was it was probably a “one and done”.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Reporting on eggs and gas prices.....

I just bought a dozen local brand of eggs at our small market in town for $3.99. There were some in the case- maybe free range- that cost $7.89 !!

Gas prices are ranging from $4.25 to $4.77. There is a different price for cash and credit.

I happened to check what the minimum wage was in 1972 the other day. It was $2.00. I’m not sure what it is now. Maybe $15.00.Seems that it is all relative.

We have been tightening our belts a bit with groceries,clothing and other “extras” we may not need right now. I feel for families with teenage sons that can eat up a storm. 

Makes a person wonder how high prices can go.

Maybe we should take out those hydrangeas and plant tomatoes and other veggies. Just a thought !🙄

MJ🙋🏻

I was just saying to Eric the other day I am thankful the boys are grown and out on their own as we would go broke feeding them at these prices.    Teenage boys definitely can eat a lot of food and if your house happens to be the hang out place for after school, forget it the cabinets are bare by the time you get home from work.    

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ATG said:

River cruising is very different than ocean cruising.  We did Avalon on the Rhine and Moselle, 11 days.  The maximum capacity was 130 and we had 79.  We really enjoyed seeing all the historical sites.  Most of the excursions are included.  We did 3 extra ones and the cost was $368 for both of us.  I thought that was very reasonable.

Breakfast and lunch were buffet.  Some good some okay.  They made eggs to order each morning.  My pet peeve was I had to make my own toast.  Not a huge deal, but a little irritating.

Dinner was a sit down meal with lots of courses.  It took anywhere from 1.5 hours to almost 2.5.  That’s too long for us.  There are very limited alternatives.  I guess RC has spoiled me with lots of places to eat.  Our first regular cruise was in 1979.  River cruising reminded us of that.

Our final opinion was it was probably a “one and done”.

We have been intrigued by river cruises and have looked at a couple different itineraries through different companies and decided maybe when we retire we will give it a try.    I like that you get a lot more scenery while cruising rivers than oceans but I would probably miss the ocean.   And you can dock at places that cruise ships could never dock.    

Are the cabins similar in size to say a balcony cabin on Royal?

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Hi Deb,    I just typed the same thing.    She's a sweetie.     But we have to get her a colorful blanky.     I would have thought Tyler would have done that by now.  😁

Excuse me, do you mean my dear friend Taylor?😁

• Haha 3