Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Bermuda is a much cleaner island compared to any Caribbean Island, much different.

If you like snorkeling you will love  Hartley's Underwater Sea Walk. One of the best excursion we have ever done on a cruise.

Check it out

https://www.hartleybermuda.com/wp/

We used to snorkle. Now Laura won't get her hair wet

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think that is true of most European cities....Paris, Rome, London, etc.  Even if they were located right on the coast, Venice for example, most of them need at least three days. I truly have no idea how people do Rome on a cruise. Between travel time to and from Civitavechia and all there is to see it boggles my mind.

That's why I've never done Florence on a cruise. 

We did Rome with 2 days post cruise. It wad fun.

I think we have a Coloseum tour included on world cruise. Its one of the New 7 Wonders

Chichin Itza (sp)

Christ the Redeemer

Machu Pichu

Great Wall

Taj Mahal

Petra

Coloseum

https://www.britannica.com/list/new-seven-wonders-of-the-world

• Like 4

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I agree with Paris,London and Rome.

Florence and Pisa are also a long way from La Spezia port.

Fortunately Barcelona,Naples,Palma and the Canary Islands ports are close to the centres.

Screenshot_20221012_195443.jpg

Screenshot_20221012_194558_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Pisa is easy, that was my alternate to Florence

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

That's why I've never done Florence on a cruise. 

We did Rome with 2 days post cruise. It wad fun.

I think we have a Coloseum tour included on world cruise. Its one of the New 7 Wonders

Chichin Itza (sp)

Christ the Redeemer

Machu Pichu

Great Wall

Taj Mahal

Petra

Coloseum

https://www.britannica.com/list/new-seven-wonders-of-the-world

Chichin itza is just a long day on a bus, or better a short plane ride from Coz or Playa.  

Machu Pichu is another matter.  You have to go from the sea to the high mountains, Cusco, then train to MP?  That must be a multi day stop in Lima I can’t imagine acclimating with all of the aged people on the cruise with less than 3 days in port.  Even then a challenge.  

How long are you in Peru?

jc

14 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Chichin itza is just a long day on a bus, or better a short plane ride from Coz or Playa.  

Machu Pichu is another matter.  You have to go from the sea to the high mountains, Cusco, then train to MP?  That must be a multi day stop in Lima I can’t imagine acclimating with all of the aged people on the cruise with less than 3 days in port.  Even then a challenge.  

How long are you in Peru?

jc

Two stops. Pisco and overnight in Lima.

For Taj, we leave ship in Cochin and come back in Goa or Bombay (Mumbai, I'm old)

Those two seem challenging for 1000+ people

FWIW, there are a lot of young families coming along. I'm guessing more than 100 kids😱

Overall we have 19 overnights.  Unfortunately, not Singapore. And no stop in Bangkok😪

And two of the overnights are Odessa and St Petersburg.  Can't see that happening.  Was really looking forward to Odessa

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I cannot recall when that started but in the old days WPIX televised all Yankee games including playoffs.

I remember that. This was the song they would play at the beginning of the broadcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceAu4rPH9no

Not to many people realize that there are lyrics to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--1E6xl6VM 

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

That looks good.

Our national drink created at the Swizzle Inn is a wonderful blend of Gosling’s Black Seal and Gold Seal rums with orange, pineapple and lemon juices, fruit liqueurs, falernum and other ingredients to make a this infamous libation. Served by an iced pitcher into cocktail glasses since it was created in 1932.

Single swizzle  $8.50 ½ Jug  $18.50Full Jug  $26.50

• Like 2

I have to join in with the posts about Bermuda. My husband and I spent our honeymoon there in 1983 and we have returned twelve times over the years. Our vacations were both cruises and resort stays. 

We liked it when the ships could dock at Hamilton as we could walk off the ship and explore the town. The Royal Naval Dockyard is far from most of the interesting sites.iMHO, the Dockyard has become very commercial over the years and seems a bit cluttered to me.

However, the mini golf course located there seems interesting. We have yet to try it. The ferries going to Hamilton and St George’s are convenient  transportation from the Dockyard and provide scenic views of the small islands that make up the country of Bermuda.

We have enjoyed Elbow Beach and the beach club at the Fairmont Southampton Princess. Horseshoe Bay is pretty,but it can get very crowded at times. 

We have enjoyed lovely dinners at the FourWays Inn and the Waterlot Inn. We have found the Hog Penny good for lunch or a drink before taking the ferry back to the Dockyard.

As for shopping, so many of the wonderful stores have closed in Hamilton. We used to shop at Trimmingham’s, Bluck’s and the Irish Linen Shop ( which may still be in business). There is an interesting liquor store on Front Street. I don’t recall the name of the store,but I do recall they had a wide variety of liquors in stock with beautiful displays.

We had planned a vacation in March of 2020 where we were supposed to stay at the Fairmont Southampton Princess and play golf on the lovely golf course at the hotel. However, that trip was cancelled due to Covid. We would like to plan such a trip again,but we are waiting to see if the present travel protocols will be lifted in the near future. 

We have fond memories of our visits to Bermuda and we can only hope to return someday.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 14

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Pisa is easy, that was my alternate to Florence

The leaning tower of Pisa is the only highlight of Pisa imo.

Plenty of market stalls selling leather mainly handbags.

Most people do a combined Pisa/Florence tour.

Screenshot_20221013_081324.jpg

Screenshot_20221013_081215_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The leaning tower of Pisa is the only highlight of Pisa imo.

Plenty of market stalls selling leather mainly handbags.

Most people do a combined Pisa/Florence tour.

Screenshot_20221013_081324.jpg

Screenshot_20221013_081215_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

I’d suggest skipping both Pisa and Florence and instead take the train to Cinque Terra. Very easy. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I think that is true of most European cities....Paris, Rome, London, etc.  Even if they were located right on the coast, Venice for example, most of them need at least three days. I truly have no idea how people do Rome on a cruise. Between travel time to and from Civitavechia and all there is to see it boggles my mind.

We've taken the ship transport into Rome a few times on a port stop and do our own thing once there.  Its not too bad. Lots of interesting info given out on the way in and most people doze on return after a hard days walking around the sights and maybe a glass or two of vino. Long day but worth it IMO

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

You have the luxury of easy access to Europe. I have had the fortune of a family to live with in Italy so as a teen I could spend summer months living there. You and I both know how much there is to see. For me, it took almost a full day just to see the Tower of London nevermind the rest of the city. I think many tourist think they have seen a city, or country, only because they don't know all there truly is to see. Then there is the whole other issue of the opportunity to interact with the local folks of a region which, for me, is just as important as the sites. A cruise just doesn't cut it for me.

You need to set your expectations. We do  European cruise most years, often just wandering around the ports. I wouldn't do Paris for a Le Harve stop but have taken ships transport to Rome and Florence. Southampton is usually a embarkation port so easy to tack on a few days before or after for in depth sightseeing. 

Liverpool and Belfast are very easy cities to visit from the ports as is Barcelona.

Its very easy to do Capri by yourself. Ferries are right next to the ship in Naples

On our Beyond cruise around the Greek Islands and Malta last June most ports were right in centre of town, for instance Rhodes and Malta.

Santorini and Mykonos were easy tenders, took a ferry over to Delos from the harbour in Mykonos.

Athens was a short bus ride away from the port.

I would suggest not July and August as its too hot for sightseeing 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 5