Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

@Sea Dog  Greg, add me to the long list of those who are sorry about your news.  I’m also really glad you’re not planning to cancel the October cruise - Jost Van Dyke just wouldn’t be the same without Sea Dog (and Linda too of course).  
Does any kind of brace or support device help in the meantime until you can have the surgery?  

• Like 2

Greg, sorry to read about the bad knee news.

As crappy as it is not do/get away with the simpler procedure, it is better to only go through one procedure and not the replacement a few years later. I just wish we could wave a wand and have it completed, and healed.

• Like 3

Just now, Momof3gurlz said:

@Sea Dog  Greg, add me to the long list of those who are sorry about your news.  I’m also really glad you’re not planning to cancel the October cruise - Jost Van Dyke just wouldn’t be the same without Sea Dog (and Linda too of course).  
Does any kind of brace or support device help in the meantime until you can have the surgery?  

Thanks Deb. No way I’d miss JVD with you. Hey that’s what “Painkillers” are for right? I may look into a brace but I don’t like wearing those things. I think I’ll be ok. I need to lay off the exercising for now. I think that will help.

22 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

.... and, speaking of all the cruises planned, another cabin on deck 8 bites the dust 😉

In the hope that we'll combine a visit to our son in Netherlands (which opens much more opportunities for flying across the pond, shortening it to less than 11 hours instead of 14 hours) and Bella 2 😁

Thanks to Ken, we've got my fav location 👍

Wonderful! Looking forward to meeting you!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Greg, sorry to read about the bad knee news.

As crappy as it is not do/get away with the simpler procedure, it is better to only go through one procedure and not the replacement a few years later. I just wish we could wave a wand and have it completed, and healed.

Thanks Andrew. You are right. It’s about quality of life. My replaced knee is never going to be as good as my natural knee I had for years before the surgery but my knee is much better than it was with the cartilage gone. It’s kind of a trade off but something I have grown to accept.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Good move! If the internet is $17.99, three tender ports, two meals, carry on help.

A word about the tenders esp. Grand Cayman: They put you on priority line to board the tenders, but you have to wait in the tender till it gets filled up, which mutes the "priority" part, since you will be reaching shore at the same time as other fellow passengers. Waiting in line in the AC or waiting on the tender to fill up, I'll take the AC, but whatever one feels comfortable with.

We had the Key on one Anthem sailing , purchased because it was same as the internet price and made sense to have internet plus two meals. I did not make use of carry on luggage drop off, but DH did.. No tender ports on that one.

These  3 tenders will be in Greenland in September, I'm thinking we won't need the AC.    😉🤣

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

The Key only gives you priority for tenders leaving the ship doesn’t it, so only beneficial for independent tour but not return?

We have 2 ships excursions booked for mid day and at 1 of  the ports we have nothing booked so far..........So on each of the 3 ports we will be able to tender off  and explore the area early in the morning. So Key works for us.

Return tenders usually aren't a problem since people go back to the ship at different times in the afternoon.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I will say both my doctors my surgeon and the one who has been doing the injections are from the same group and are friends. They both have said they only want what’s best for me. I am really happy with their care, compassion and how much time they give to their patients.

Sounds like you have been blessed with a great care team! That can be a big plus.  I hope all goes well for you.   It's great your next cruise is with friends from here.  It will make a big difference.   I have loved meeting the ones I have already. It's amazing.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks Andrew. You are right. It’s about quality of life. My replaced knee is never going to be as good as my natural knee I had for years before the surgery but my knee is much better than it was with the cartilage gone. It’s kind of a trade off but something I have grown to accept.

Sorry to hear about your knee problems and Linda’s hand problem.Surprisingly having played competive sports for many years I never developed any knee issues.Hopefully you will both have satisfactory results that will not keep you from any vacations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

.... and, speaking of all the cruises planned, another cabin on deck 8 bites the dust 😉

In the hope that we'll combine a visit to our son in Netherlands (which opens much more opportunities for flying across the pond, shortening it to less than 11 hours instead of 14 hours) and Bella 2 😁

Thanks to Ken, we've got my fav location 👍

Deck 8!  I will try not to be too noisy.   😆   Looking forward to meeting you 😀!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Sounds like you have been blessed with a great care team! That can be a big plus.  I hope all goes well for you.   It's great your next cruise is with friends from here.  It will make a big difference.   I have loved meeting the ones I have already. It's amazing.

Yes John they are really amazing. The one doctor who is friends with my brother gave me his personal cell for texting. My surgeon also has a texting service where he routinely checks his patients. I have never felt rushed in an appointment and they always take their time and answer all your questions. Really looking forward to seeing you on Bella 2.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sorry to hear about your knee problems and Linda’s hand problem.Surprisingly having played competive sports for many years I never developed any knee issues.Hopefully you will both have satisfactory results that will not keep you from any vacations.

Thats great you never had any knee issues. My dad had horrible knees and my doctor brother has had the bone marrow transplant in both his knees. I guess it runs in the family having bad knees.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thats greT you never had any knee issues. My dad had horrible knees and my doctor brother has had the bone marrow transplant in both his knees. I guess it runs in the family having bad knees.

I believe so .My father was an athlete a good portion of his life but never sustained any problems .However ,he had Parkinson’s as I do and he like me was prone to getting skin cancer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I believe so .My father was an athlete a good portion of his life but never sustained any problems .However ,he had Parkinson’s as I do and he like me was prone to getting skin cancer.

I hope genetic engineering in the future can help with those hereditary issues.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I hope genetic engineering in the future can help with those hereditary issues.

Hopefully .I am a member of a Zoom Parkinsons Support Group and much to my surprise everyone of the regulars is optimistic about our illness.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Yes John they are really amazing. The one doctor who is friends with my brother gave me his personal cell for texting. My surgeon also has a texting service where he routinely checks his patients. I have never felt rushed in an appointment and they always take their time and answer all your questions. Really looking forward to seeing you on Bella 2.

It is with sadness that I read your latest news about your knee . I am so sorry to learn of the condition of your 2nd knee and that your only recourse is surgery. I know how much you wanted to avoid it . 
I hope , it will be less stressful for you physically .  

My husband is 2 months post surgery and walking around without a cane for weeks  . He’s not doing marathons but gets around just fine . Our next cruise is at the end of September and we’ve requested wheelchair assist on and off the ship just so he doesn’t have to stand for a long time. 

He has had a much easier time than you . His surgery was done manually , no general anesthesia and in and out of the hospital within 8 hours .  

Good luck to you and always let us know how you are doing and the best to Linda . 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, NHProud said:

It is with sadness that I read your latest news about your knee . I am so sorry to learn of the condition of your 2nd knee and that your only recourse is surgery. I know how much you wanted to avoid it . 
I hope , it will be less stressful for you physically .  

My husband is 2 months post surgery and walking around without a cane for weeks  . He’s not doing marathons but gets around just fine . Our next cruise is at the end of September and we’ve requested wheelchair assist on and off the ship just so he doesn’t have to stand for a long time. 

He has had a much easier time than you . His surgery was done manually , no general anesthesia and in and out of the hospital within 8 hours .  

Good luck to you and always let us know how you are doing and the best to Linda . 

Thank you Judy so much. I’m glad that your husband is doing well post surgery. If nothing else if I have surgery in November maybe by the time our flight boards before our April Celebrity cruise I can get pre boarding status on Southwest Airlines.

• Like 1

@Sea Dog  Just getting caught up on the board.  So sorry about your knee and not being able to go with the bone marrow transplant.  Hopefully, you'll have an easier time with this one and have a full and speedy recovery.   Wishing the same for Linda and her hand.  Glad you are not canceling your October cruise.  Tortola is a great place. The painkillers are the best!  Wish we could join all of you for this one.

@dani negreanu  So glad you'll be able to join us on the cruise.  I'm excited to finally meet you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1