Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

yes

Good move! If the internet is $17.99, three tender ports, two meals, carry on help.

A word about the tenders esp. Grand Cayman: They put you on priority line to board the tenders, but you have to wait in the tender till it gets filled up, which mutes the "priority" part, since you will be reaching shore at the same time as other fellow passengers. Waiting in line in the AC or waiting on the tender to fill up, I'll take the AC, but whatever one feels comfortable with.

We had the Key on one Anthem sailing , purchased because it was same as the internet price and made sense to have internet plus two meals. I did not make use of carry on luggage drop off, but DH did.. No tender ports on that one.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well I talked to my doctor brother who looked at my MRI of my left knee. His first comment was "wow, what in the hell did you do to your knee." He said the MRI showed him that I hade a extruded meniscus and is basically torn and beat to s%&t. He also thinks I may have a torn ligament plus bone spurs. I basically have no cartilage and basically a torn ACL. He's surprised I can even walk on it as it looks so bad. He then went on say a bone marrow transplant would not help me and that it might be better to just get another knee replacement. Needless to say I am very depressed but if it means doing something to get better I will do it.

Trouble is now Linda needs hand surgery to repair bone on bone by her thumb. so we need to try and schedule that before our October cruise. Then schedule me a knee replacement in November to hopefully make our April Celebrity cruise. Looks like the holidays may be a bummer around here. Thanks for letting me rant.

Greg, I'm so sorry to hear your knee situation is worse than you thought, requiring a knee replacement, and that Linda needs hand surgery as well.  I thought you were going to say she needs back surgery.  Is her back doing better?

Hugs to you both, and hoping that you will both find relief.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Oh my friend...so sorry to hear this news. If timing is spot on, you should be good-to-go in  April!

I sure hope so. Thank you .

8 hours ago, taznremmy said:

@Sea Dog Greg, I'm sorry to hear this disappointing news about your knee.  I know how much hope you were placing on the bone marrow transplant.  Rant all you want.

Yeah I’m not looking forward to the pain after surgery but at least I know what I’m getting into. Thank you Pat for your comments. I hope you are well. Can’t wait to see you again.

7 hours ago, sgmn said:

So sorry to hear its bad news re your knee Greg. Thank goodness we have the technology these days to repair/replace though I know you had a difficult time when you had the first knee done. 

I hope the Dr's can do some kind of temporary fix while you wait for the op to give you more movement 

I’ll probably get another gel injection in a couple of weeks and then meet with my surgeon in August. Thanks Sue.

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

That's disappointing Greg. But better to know, than not know. And it is wonderful to have a diagnosis and opinion from someone you trust implicitly. 

I love my orthopedic surgeon. I wanted to have hip resurfacing instead of a full hip replacement. He is young, and very engaged. He pursed his lips and shook his head, and said, "No can do. Not a candidate. You need a full replacement." ☺️ We don't always get what we want.

And maybe this one will go better. Ask @NHProud who her husband's surgeon was? 

I will say both my doctors my surgeon and the one who has been doing the injections are from the same group and are friends. They both have said they only want what’s best for me. I am really happy with their care, compassion and how much time they give to their patients. Thanks Patti for your comments.

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

My thought is that you need a total knee replacement and anything less will end up being a failure and a disappointment to you not to mention a waste of time and just a delay of the inevitable... but what do I know. I'm just some random dude on the internet.

Thank you doctor for your advice. You are my favorite random dude on the internet. I do value your opinion very much.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

UDP for Symphony in December is $373.99, and the Key is $41.99.  All the prices are crazy high.

Similar for my August Wonder cruise:$382 and $49.99. I saw the UDP come down to $168 couple of days, tried to click and it said NOT AVAILABLE. Called Royal and sent an email with pictures from my cruise planner asking if these prices can be honored. Executive office replied back giving some excuse, basically saying NO. Then they put some OBC in my account, which disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared. 😉.
We do have the three night pkg which we had purchased for $92 (something like that I think?), before that started appearing as NOT AVAILABLE too. The key is not worth purchasing at $49.99, so not doing that, unless it comes down to a price where it is comparable to the internet per day price. Currently Internet prices flips between $19 and $20. No drink package for us, since we are not drinkers, and the 5 per day per person suffices more than enough for us.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Coralc said:

Home2Suites and Hampton are in the same building/complex and have the same amenities, free breakfast, etc. It is kind of weird, they are in the same building. 

I wonder if this is a new trend in hotel construction, a hotel corporation putting in multiple brands into one building. When I was researching Tampa hotels last year, I was looking into  Hyatt Place & Hyatt House. When looking at pictures of the public spaces & amenities, I thought they looked very similar. That's because there were!  While they were advertised as two separate hotels, they shared the lobby, pool, bar, restaurants, etc.   The only difference was that the Hyatt Place (standard hotel room) was on the lower floors while the Hyatt House (suites with kitchens) was on the higher floors & cost more money.

A few years ago in Nashville we stayed in a new Marriott that had 3 different brands (Residence, Springhill & one other) in the same building sharing the same public space but each had it's own elevator bank.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Sorry to hear this Greg.  I know the recovery of your other knee was difficult.  The good news, I guess, is that full replacement is more likely a better long term answer??  I can't remember if bone marrow transplant was temporary (like a steroid shot but better) or intended to be a more permanent fix.

Studies have shown that over 70% of patients that had the bone marrow transplant have had no problems for over 10 years. It’s meant to be a lot better than a steroid shot. Thanks for your reply.

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your knee and how bad it actually is.

I hope you have a successful knee replacement Greg.

Best wishes and good luck.

Thank you Graham so much.

1 hour ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

HUGS, Greg.  I’m so sorry for this disappointing news.  You were so hoping for the bone marrow transplant.  We all dread the “S” word but sometimes that might be the best route to go.  Be hopeful.  Be optimistic that you will have a better time with recovery this time.  I wish you didn’t have to wait until November though but I understand scheduling.  

All your friends are here to support you and wish you and Linda all the best.  Big hug 🫂 again.

Thank you so much Helen. I may not be looking forward to surgery but I’ll do what I need to do. My other replacement knee is doing good. If I use that as my guide I think I can do it. I hope you are feeling better with your sciatica. Thank you for your concern.

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

@Sea Dog That is too bad about the disappointing news.  I hope you can get the replacement scheduled and be better quickly.  You will be running up and down the stairs on the ship before you know it. 

I hope so. I need to be able to get to the Schooner bar quickly. 😉

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

So sorry Greg I know you were not hoping for another knee replacement. 

But after hearing what your Brother said,torn ACL and all I think I would be canceling  the October Cruise now while you still have a chance before Final Payment.

Do you think somehow in the next 90 days your knee somehow is going to feel better?

If I was you after surgery and your feeling better just jump on a ship short notice at the end of the year,you might be able to find a sweet deal.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Im not going to cancel the October sailing only because it’s going to Tortola and that’s been on my list for along time. We had a cruise booked there in 2020 and then COVID hit and the cruise was cancelled. I think I’ll be ok. Maybe not 100% but hey that’s what the “Painkillers” are for at the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke. Thank you for your advice.

34 minutes ago, jmh2006 said:

@Sea Dog Well Greg sorry your news was not what you hoped for regarding your knee!  I know having another knee replacement wasn't in your plans at all and I am sorry Linda needs surgery too!  I am also putting off some hand surgery for a trigger finger that I have reached the steriod shot limit.  I don't want to do it till after golf season.  Anyway, I do hope you will not cancel our October cruise but understand if you must.  

No way I’m canceling Adventure in October. I wouldn’t miss it and miss you for anything.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

@Sea Dog
Greg, Sending best wishes for you (and Linda). You do what is best for you and do not worry. You have an army here, praying for your and sending you best wishes. It will be all good.

Thank you! I love all my friends here.

37 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Congratulations to all with the new additions, granbabies and furbabies.  Always nice to see the young ones.

@Sea Dog sorry to hear of your diagnosis but as others have said better to know and get it over with.  

I agree.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my knee situation. I hope I responded to everyone who commented.

You are all the best and I can’t tell you how much you all mean to me.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks to everyone who commented on my knee situation. I hope I responded to everyone who commented.

I was actually typing up a reply when you posted this, so instead I'll just echo 100% what everyone up above has said.

The only thing I would add is the few people I know that have gotten a 2nd knee or hip replacement have said the 2nd time around is easier & the recovery time is quicker.  I'm not sure if that is actually factual or just "seems" like it since they've experienced it once before.  But I guess there is some logic behind it as they are more active & have slimmed down so less stress on the new joints.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 8

Just now, HBE4 said:

I was actually typing up a reply when you posted this, so instead I'll just echo 100% what everyone up above has said.

The only thing I would add is the few people I know that have gotten a 2nd knee or hip replacement have said the 2nd time around is easier & the recovery time is quicker.  I'm not sure if that is actually factual or just "seems" like it since they've experienced it once before.  But I guess there is some logic behind it as they are more active & have slimmed down so let stress on the new joints.

I hope that’s the case. I belong to a knee replacement support group on that other face of a page and I’ve learned a lot of tips from others there that will help a second go around. Thanks for your comments.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You are all the best and I can’t tell you how much you all mean to me.

My wife had a torn meniscus that had her in so much pain she could barely walk (and ended up having surgery to repair)...can't imagine all the rest piled on.  

I'll lend a hand anyway I can on Adventure in October (especially sharing those Painkillers and Schooner OFs).

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Just now, Husky1987 said:

My wife had a torn meniscus that had her in so much pain she could barely walk (and ended up having surgery to repair)...can't imagine all the rest piled on.  

I'll lend a hand anyway I can on Adventure in October (especially sharing those Painkillers and Schooner OFs).

Yeah you might have to carry me back to the cabin. 😜😆😁

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Studies have shown that over 70% of patients that had the bone marrow transplant have had no problems for over 10 years. It’s meant to be a lot better than a steroid shot. Thanks for your reply.

Thank you Graham so much.

Thank you so much Helen. I may not be looking forward to surgery but I’ll do what I need to do. My other replacement knee is doing good. If I use that as my guide I think I can do it. I hope you are feeling better with your sciatica. Thank you for your concern.

I hope so. I need to be able to get to the Schooner bar quickly. 😉

Im not going to cancel the October sailing only because it’s going to Tortola and that’s been on my list for along time. We had a cruise booked there in 2020 and then COVID hit and the cruise was cancelled. I think I’ll be ok. Maybe not 100% but hey that’s what the “Painkillers” are for at the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke. Thank you for your advice.

No way I’m canceling Adventure in October. I wouldn’t miss it and miss you for anything.

Yes we must schedule our medical procedure so they don’t interfere with our cruises, good luck. July 4th we always host a pool party , ( this is also my wife’s birthday) in past I made margaritas in blender, but this year it will be pina coladas with kraken of course. 

• Like 4

Just now, George C said:

Yes we must schedule our medical procedure so they don’t interfere with our cruises, good luck. July 4th we always host a pool party , ( this is also my wife’s birthday) in past I made margaritas in blender, but this year it will be pina coladas with kraken of course. 

Yes social comes first. Pina Coladas sound good.

• Like 1

Now, for something random for iPhone users.   The magnet in the phone is evidently strong enough, that you can lay it on the roof of the car and drive around with it there. 

My daughter had driven the 3 or 4 miles from her house to ours, and while we were talking about taking my grandson’s iPad in for a screen repair, she suddenly remembered that her husband had laid his phone on the roof of her car while he was doing some work.  We were all shocked it was still on the roof when she got here. 

• Like 9

@Sea DogGreg, I know how much you were hoping to have the bone marrow transplant on your knee but here's hoping your 2nd experience with total knee replacement is a better one than the 1st one.  Remember every knee is different and you just might breeze through the next one.

My friend had total knee replacement 2 1/2 months ago, walks without a cane or rollator and her pain is minimal.  I wish the same for you!

Have no fear about ranting.   We all share life's experiences on here, the good and bad. We friends do that all the time.

And good luck with Linda's surgery.  Just keep thinking of all those wonderful cruises you have planned.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

@Sea DogGreg, I know how much you were hoping to have the bone marrow transplant on your knee but here's hoping your 2nd experience with total knee replacement is a better one than the 1st one.  Remember every knee is different and you just might breeze through the next one.

My friend had total knee replacement 2 1/2 months ago, walks without a cane or rollator and her pain is minimal.  I wish the same for you!

Have no fear about ranting.   We all share life's experiences on here, the good and bad. We friends do that all the time.

And good luck with Linda's surgery.  Just keep thinking of all those wonderful cruises you have planned.

Thank you Bonnie for your support. I’m hopeful that the second one will be a walk in the park (with a walker) and not as painful.

• Like 2

.... and, speaking of all the cruises planned, another cabin on deck 8 bites the dust 😉

In the hope that we'll combine a visit to our son in Netherlands (which opens much more opportunities for flying across the pond, shortening it to less than 11 hours instead of 14 hours) and Bella 2 😁

Thanks to Ken, we've got my fav location 👍

• Like 25

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Trouble is now Linda needs hand surgery to repair bone on bone by her thumb. so we need to try and schedule that before our October cruise. Then schedule me a knee replacement in November to hopefully make our April Celebrity cruise. Looks like the holidays may be a bummer around here. Thanks for letting me rant.

I'm so sorry. That's a lot of surgery and recovery. I'm really sorry that the bone marrow treatment isn't an option for you.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

.... and, speaking of all the cruises planned, another cabin on deck 8 bites the dust 😉

In the hope that we'll combine a visit to our son in Netherlands (which opens much more opportunities for flying across the pond, shortening it to less than 11 hours instead of 14 hours) and Bella 2 😁

Now THIS is great news!!!!!  How wonderful to finally meet the one who brought us all together! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I'm so sorry. That's a lot of surgery and recovery. I'm really sorry that the bone marrow treatment isn't an option for you.

Yes I was really hoping that would do the trick. At least I now know why even after the injections I was having pain. Looks like my knee was a real mess. Thank you for your reply.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Keksie said:

So what does your husband do on the last morning of the cruise.  The internet is finally fast since most people are still asleep and he has had all the pool time he can take.  

He looks at all the categories on Craigslist and now meet our newest family member.  Her name is Sabel and she is 9.5 weeks old.

Sabel1.thumb.jpeg.e95212e3c4a5d22aa2efcb1ec9bcc575.jpeg

SO FLUFFY!!! Wish I could hold her! ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

This is awesome news. 👏👏👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1