Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 1/17/2023 at 5:51 PM, Luckynana said:

Can you share the snorkeling mask, brand name, etc. that you use, Mark?   TIA!

This is the newer version of the one I have had for a couple years. It looks like they made some more improvements and lowered the price. 

https://www.amazon.com/WSTOO-Advanced-Breathing-Snorkeling-Panoramic/dp/B07PSGDCDN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2BC8OYLCS18VP&keywords=w%2Bwstoo%2Bsnorkel%2Bmask%2Bwith%2Blatest%2Bdry%2Btop%2Bbreathing&qid=1674132765&sprefix=W%2BWst%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNDExRDBKTVNWNzQxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ2NjM1MTdERjI1RzNWVzFTVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODYyOTM3MVQwT0lPNTZVSktQVCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1&psc=1

It is a good idea to order someplace like Amazon that takes returns. Because of the shape of her face, near her eyes, Susan could not get a good seal.  We tested ours out in our hot tub after we got them.  I know, we probably looked a little silly, but we found out right away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Question for Dani (or anyone else who perhaps has any advice). I have an opportunity on an upcoming cruise to float in the Dead Sea. It takes place after an excursion to Masada. I've just been reading about the various precautions regarding being in the water, things like: wear an old swimsuit that you probably don't want anymore, do not get water in the eyes, be aware of the very caustic nature of the water, wearing closed water shoes, not shaving (even a few days) before going in, etc. Any advice or thoughts? Surely one of those (likely for me anyway) once-in-a-lifetime chances, but after reading more about it I have some reservations. Thanks....

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I want to thank you again to for the good wishes on the occasion of our double celebration 🙏

Dani, I know I sent you good wishes for your double celebration, but I wanted to send them again.  It looks like you found a wonderful way to celebrate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Looking forward to reading about cruises, travels, kitchen renovations,grandchildren and sunny beach days- all good things to lift the spirits.

Here are a couple grandkids pictures for you.  One of the reasons I was missing for a couple days, because they have been trading sickness, and we were watching them. Thankfully it was not Covid.  

So I have an AI app that will give them a movie star look, and you can even swap out backgrounds. 

Grandson tried his first. 

8EBBFB3A-FBC0-4130-BF5E-86822D78C00C.jpeg.a199564ad49e84c9b2eea0968f7bd81a.jpeg

Then granddaughter 

08974D87-D768-42CB-A4A3-55153B2D0BD4.jpeg.4cf632d280f81470145f32d539871c08.jpeg

We tried to do Ricky, but it said it couldn’t find a face. So he must not have a future in the movies. He just has to use his regular face. 

0DEEE175-A46A-40E2-93FB-669AFEBBE302.thumb.jpeg.863ff77904ddb82d1c10627cadea40a3.jpeg

The kids tried it on both of us, and we haven’t looked that good in years. 🤣

• Like 20
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Question for Dani (or anyone else who perhaps has any advice). I have an opportunity on an upcoming cruise to float in the Dead Sea. It takes place after an excursion to Masada. I've just been reading about the various precautions regarding being in the water, things like: wear an old swimsuit that you probably don't want anymore, do not get water in the eyes, be aware of the very caustic nature of the water, wearing closed water shoes, not shaving (even a few days) before going in, etc. Any advice or thoughts? Surely one of those (likely for me anyway) once-in-a-lifetime chances, but after reading more about it I have some reservations. Thanks....

https://stayclosetravelfar.com/10-dead-sea-tips/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We do the same with our riding mower during winter when not use.   We also put trickle/tender charger on my convertible and his challenger hellcat that get stored in garage for the winter.    Cost about $10 each and well worth it.

What is the itinerary on your upcoming Odyssey cruise?

I think I am now finally caught up.  I keep one of the trickle chargers on our boat battery, while it is stored for the winter.  I even hook it up after we take it out each time, spit is fully charged and ready to go. 

12 hours ago, Coralc said:

They are nice vehicles. IMO, there are just so many electronics in it, that I can see why battery drain might be an issue. ☺️ There are screens, and seat warmers and electronic lift gate and lane assist and cameras and OnStar and all kinds of stuff on the Limited. I kind of miss my basic Camry. But we need the all-wheel drive for the snow. 😃

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Most of those electronics are not active unless the car is running. I don't see why they should kill a battery. I do, however, wonder about cars that have auto stop engines where batteries are powering everything while cars are stopped at red lights, etc. 

When we got our car last year we didn't have much of a choice.  We got the Highlander Platinum. I normally don't get extras I don't need, just one more thing to break.  No battery problems yet. 

We have the auto stop.  Hasn't caused any problems yet but we are not in an area where we have to stop often.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

When we got our car last year we didn't have much of a choice.  We got the Highlander Platinum. I normally don't get extras I don't need, just one more thing to break.  No battery problems yet. 

We have the auto stop.  Hasn't caused any problems yet but we are not in an area where we have to stop often.  

Shouldn't there be a place on your car to Turn "off" the auto stop. There is on every car I have been in that has that feature.

15 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Here are a couple grandkids pictures for you.  One of the reasons I was missing for a couple days, because they have been trading sickness, and we were watching them. Thankfully it was not Covid.  

So I have an AI app that will give them a movie star look, and you can even swap out backgrounds. 

Then granddaughter 

We tried to do Ricky, but it said it couldn’t find a face. So he must not have a future in the movies. He just has to use his regular face. 

0DEEE175-A46A-40E2-93FB-669AFEBBE302.thumb.jpeg.863ff77904ddb82d1c10627cadea40a3.jpeg

These pictures are great! What was the AI app you used?

• Like 1

Jimbo...thanks. I've seen other sites like the one you suggest, but am also hoping for some feedback from someone who has actually done it. It's quite sad to see what's happening with the sea level recession and the thousands of sinkholes that have opened up. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I keep a battery tender hooked up to my lawn tractor as well as an old Ford Taurus station wagon that I occasionally use. They really extend battery life. I can't remember the last time I've had to buy a battery for either since I started using the tenders. They are very inexpensive, too. 

Since retiring 5 years ago I drive my Ford Ranger very little.  It sits outside so no way to charge it but the battery is still good. 

I drove it to my appointment yesterday in the rain.  I had to turn the key to start it, turn on the headlights, the wipers didn't automatically turn on when rain hit the windshield, no way to heat the seats, I had to shift the gears and there was no back up camera.  On the good side lane assist didn't beep and the truck didn't turn off at the stop light!   Then I had to park, there was no surrounding cameras to help me park!  A lot of difference in a basic 1996 truck and today's cars. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

A lot of difference in a basic 1996 truck and today's cars. 

To quote Scotty in one of the Star Trek movies, "the more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain"!  Being the owner of  '95 and '97 vehicles, I know exactly what you're talking about. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I also have Biloxi on reserve.

I'm in the middle of 22 Seconds. I listen to it when I run errands which are infrequent so it will take a while to get through. So far I like it. 

Is there a 23rd murder club out yet? I really like them.

22 Seconds was good.  The 23rd Midnight book comes out in March. Yes, I love them too.  I think the 23rd is the only book I might buy to read on the Bella cruise.  They really are wonderful reads.

41 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Then granddaughter 

Your grandkids, as always, are beautiful no matter how their pictures are posted.  Ricky is quite the handsome cat.

21 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Jimbo...thanks. I've seen other sites like the one you suggest, but am also hoping for some feedback from someone who has actually done it. It's quite sad to see what's happening with the sea level recession and the thousands of sinkholes that have opened up. 

While on a tour, I was in the dead sea years ago.  The only caution was not to go in if we had recent cuts and not to shave for a few days before. No mention of old bathing suits and I don't recall anything bad happening to mine.  I was fine.  Dani will probably have more info.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BonTexasNY said:

The only caution was not to go in if we had recent cuts and not to shave for a few days before.

Thanks...LOL on not shaving! Nothing like that 3-day old stubby growth...   Not sure if I want to do the float or not. Definitely agree on not going in if any open sores or cuts. 

2 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Dani will probably have more info.

I'm thinking so as well. 

53 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Then granddaughter 

Those kids are gorgeous and so is Ricky,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

22 Seconds was good.  The 23rd Midnight book comes out in March. Yes, I love them too.  I think the 23rd is the only book I might buy to read on the Bella cruise.  They really are wonderful reads.

Your grandkids, as always, are beautiful no matter how their pictures are posted.  Ricky is quite the handsome cat.

While on a tour, I was in the dead sea years ago.  The only caution was not to go in if we had recent cuts and not to shave for a few days before. No mention of old bathing suits and I don't recall anything bad happening to mine.  I was fine.  Dani will probably have more info.

Can't imagine going in and getting it in your eyes, going in the ocean is bad enough when doing that. The Dead Sea has 300 times the amount of salt in it then the ocean.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

Thanks...LOL on not shaving! Nothing like that 3-day old stubby growth...   Not sure if I want to do the float or not. Definitely agree on not going in if any open sores or cuts. 

I'm thinking so as well. 

Actually, I never went in, and the only visit I've done there was in January 2004, when it was too cold to float. The original plan for our golden anniversary was to spend there 2 nights, but our friends like to float and enjoy the Sea, so there were no "buyers"....

I've asked DH, though -- basically, all that was included in the link Jim @Jimbo provided. Very very salty, beware of your eyes, no cuts from shaving, water shoes, sun screen, etc. Wearing an old bathing suit relates to stains when "schmearing" yourself with mud (very recommended, that is, the mud....).

Enjoy !!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Great pics.  I showed my DD the pic of the suspended tree and she was confused.  She was asking why.  We both guessed art. 

14 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

@dani negreanu

Old Jaffo hold special places in my heart.  My favorite place to meander on our visits to Israel was always Old Jaffo.  

7 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@dani negreanu 

I was intrigued by the floating tree.  Apparently it was created by an Israeli artist and installed in 1993.  It’s a full size orange tree that bears fruit. Love the ideas that artist’s come up with.

It is a place full of art galleries. I was so happy to see many tourists meandering there. Those galleries were very hard hit during Covid, they're based mostly on foreign travel...

Here's another example of the interesting "art" there --

image.thumb.jpeg.7b2b0f425db2614f7dcee4726ce71cc3.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

sun screen,

Even in February?  I suppose so. It'd be one thing if we were staying at a resort, could slather on lotion, etc.  and then do the float and back out to shower, and back to the room (to perhaps wash up even more if still feeling sticky). But, this takes place after a 12-hour-long excursion to Masada, then however long a bus ride back to Ashdod and the ship. I'll have to think on this...I'm sure it's a cool experience, but not sure all the hassle is worth it for the sake of 10 minutes in the water. Thanks so much...

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

But, this takes place after a 12-hour-long excursion to Masada, then however long a bus ride back to Haifa and the ship.

Could you please describe your itinerary while in Israel?

Stands to reason to travel from Ashdod to Masada [and then only if you have an overnight there, better yet, spend the night in Jerusalem, and then travel back to ship via Masada]... but from Haifa???

The traffic here is horrendous. 

16 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

It is a place full of art galleries. I was so happy to see many tourists meandering there. Those galleries were very hard hit during Covid, they're based mostly on foreign travel...

Here's another example of the interesting "art" there --

image.thumb.jpeg.7b2b0f425db2614f7dcee4726ce71cc3.jpeg

I was able to find an article talking about the suspended tree. Art from  1993.  They say it is an orange tree.  I guess it doesn't bear fruit.  I haven't found a Pic showing oranges. 

The chairs look cool. 

• Like 1