Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 7/5/2024 at 1:19 PM, mo&fran said:

We have made final payment for 5 cruises on Freedom , starting the end of September , and ending the beginning of November.  That is 35 days, my longest to be on a cruise. My first solo cruise ever. There will be friends on some of the cruises. I may have to start to frequent the lounges, which we didn't before, since Mo didn't like them.

The lounges can be a great way to meet people. If there aren’t any empty tables available and we see some open seats, we always ask if we can join them. Always works out and an easy way to start talking to others. 

• Like 9

Seems to me more cat pictures than dogs. I need more dog pictures. Sea dog and who else.

Just kidding but cats seem to be the favorites.

Tree skier that temperature sure looks good.

Helen PT is hard, hope your progress and pain improve. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm getting a education in more adventurous travel. I've mostly stuck to Caribbean. Though I've done alaska, but never done a TA. There was one from PC I thought great, signed up, then the next leg went to greece I wanted to see, signed up, then if I'm ending in rome see rome, signed up. I waited to lock in hotel until airfare came out. I was expecting $800ish rome to orlando. If I flew right home air2sea a mere $1090 lowest price, but to see rome a few day lowest price my TA said $1500. I probably wanted to book direct, but orlando isnt a international hub. Someone else said call direct, thinking that cant be the peice. Royal said lowest is $1510 goes up from there air2sea. 

I'd posted on roll call running into memorial weekend and a jubilee rome event. A smart aleck on my roll call who has done TAs a lot ho hum said news flash only Americans celebrate memorial day, this will be nothing special. Idk what else accounts for the price then to fly home. So I thought np book direct to miami and take bright rail high speed train to orlando, be home in a few hours right? Wrong. It's about the same as driving, 7 hours or longer, makes 16 stops. So now I'm spending a friday night memorial weekend at a miami airport hotel to shuttle to bright line the next day. I was thinking high speed train would be fast. 

I wasnt even that keen on seeing rome, except I will be there and getting older, my parents waited too long to travel. Things happen as we age, I thought better to see it now. It will be practice for bella3. It leaves from ft Lauderdale and I assumed bright rail would be the best way to go. Now idk. Are there better ways down to south florida? Amtrak? Coming back from rome, no car, cant drive. Got hotels, excursions and a flight to miami all booked. Seems I need a hotel in miami and figure what is best way to get up to PC from miami now. I'm sure going to be tired when I get home.

Although Brightline calls themselves "high speed", they don't come close to going as fast as high speed trains in other countries.  Still, Miami to Orlando should only be about 3.5 hours.  They typically make 3 or 4 stops in the busy part of Southern Florida (Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, West Palm Beach) and are then direct to Orlando.  Maybe you selected a very local train if it stops that many times and takes that long.  Try looking for another train later in the day??

• Like 5

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm getting a education in more adventurous travel. I've mostly stuck to Caribbean. Though I've done alaska, but never done a TA. There was one from PC I thought great, signed up, then the next leg went to greece I wanted to see, signed up, then if I'm ending in rome see rome, signed up. I waited to lock in hotel until airfare came out. I was expecting $800ish rome to orlando. If I flew right home air2sea a mere $1090 lowest price, but to see rome a few day lowest price my TA said $1500. I probably wanted to book direct, but orlando isnt a international hub. Someone else said call direct, thinking that cant be the peice. Royal said lowest is $1510 goes up from there air2sea. 

I'd posted on roll call running into memorial weekend and a jubilee rome event. A smart aleck on my roll call who has done TAs a lot ho hum said news flash only Americans celebrate memorial day, this will be nothing special. Idk what else accounts for the price then to fly home. So I thought np book direct to miami and take bright rail high speed train to orlando, be home in a few hours right? Wrong. It's about the same as driving, 7 hours or longer, makes 16 stops. So now I'm spending a friday night memorial weekend at a miami airport hotel to shuttle to bright line the next day. I was thinking high speed train would be fast. 

I wasnt even that keen on seeing rome, except I will be there and getting older, my parents waited too long to travel. Things happen as we age, I thought better to see it now. It will be practice for bella3. It leaves from ft Lauderdale and I assumed bright rail would be the best way to go. Now idk. Are there better ways down to south florida? Amtrak? Coming back from rome, no car, cant drive. Got hotels, excursions and a flight to miami all booked. Seems I need a hotel in miami and figure what is best way to get up to PC from miami now. I'm sure going to be tired when I get home.

Jane, MCO is an international hub. You may want to research more flight options and book direct. Also revisit the Bright Line times from Miami to MCO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ReneeFLL  Glad to hear you are doing well post TKR.  I worked at a physical therapy office for 5 years and in my opinion, it takes a good 4-6 months to feel better so, YAY!  

@firefly333  Jane, I took the Brightline from Orlando to FLL last spring and it took 2.5 hours.  It only goes "high speed" on the new tracks they built from Orlando to the coast, then it uses the existing Amtrack tracks and can't go as fast.  The trains are very comfortable and I would rather sit in a train than drive. JMHO

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jmh2006 said:

@ReneeFLL  Glad to hear you are doing well post TKR.  I worked at a physical therapy office for 5 years and in my opinion, it takes a good 4-6 months to feel better so, YAY!  

@firefly333  Jane, I took the Brightline from Orlando to FLL last spring and it took 2.5 hours.  It only goes "high speed" on the new tracks they built from Orlando to the coast, then it uses the existing Amtrack tracks and can't go as fast.  The trains are very comfortable and I would rather sit in a train than drive. JMHO

Brightline actually laid their own set of tracks parallel to the Florida East Coast railroad tracks. No passenger trains on FEC tracks.

Amtrack trains out of West Palm go northwest along the Beeline highway to Okeechobee (the city).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@firefly333 Arriving internationally at Miami can be very busy with long waits to clear Immigration/ customs .Have you considered flights with one stop? usually less expensive and you can clear customs in Charlotte or Atlanta and take a connecting flight to Orlando. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Although Brightline calls themselves "high speed", they don't come close to going as fast as high speed trains in other countries.  Still, Miami to Orlando should only be about 3.5 hours.  They typically make 3 or 4 stops in the busy part of Southern Florida (Ft. Lauderdale, Boca, West Palm Beach) and are then direct to Orlando.  Maybe you selected a very local train if it stops that many times and takes that long.  Try looking for another train later in the day??

12 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Jane, MCO is an international hub. You may want to research more flight options and book direct. Also revisit the Bright Line times from Miami to MCO.

10 minutes ago, jmh2006 said:

Yea I looked some more today. The 7 hours was from google. I looked at booking and lots of so called direct for 3 plus hours. I dont see any less than that. I dont know after looking at prices I think it's a good alternative to driving round trip. I'm not in orlando so I'd still need a shuttle to orlando and to the miami hub. For one way I will probably do it, but not round trip like bellas. 

Arzeena our TA who you probably know is the one who said orlando is not that easy or a international hub. He named off the airports that are hubs. Air2sea is indeed priced from $1510. I'm already locked in date wise. And now flying into miami friday night late, 11 pm. My hotel and 2 excursions in rome are refundable, the last excursion and airfare is not. Sisteen chappel skip the line i took a chance and airfare. Now i either take amtrak to Kissimmee or Brightline to orlando airport. Prices for brightline for the deluxe which includes luggage and snacks start $109 one way, and also can be cancelled for brightline credit but not refundable. None of the $109 rates are times I want, very late in the day. So do you all say wait for a sale or book, at least $119 one way, Saturday may 31, memorial weekend. Should I wait to book brightline? I googled discounts but none of the codes work. I'm not a teacher or anything they offer discounts for. No senior discounts. Amtrak is cheaper but I think kissimmee further to uber home from. My TA suggested booking airfare direct. Prices air2sea are high. We only priced to orlando, but he mentioned miami being a hub airport. 

I'm booked on the TA to barcelona, then the 10 day to rome stopped at greece. I wanted to see athens greece. Then of course its I've never been to rome, I should see rome. I'm not sure I will ever do this again, too much planning. I booked refundable a very central hotel near pantheon, tivoli and some other stuff. It's going to be a long walk to vatican stuff I booked. People on another board said HOHO buses in rome are often full and dont even stop at the busy stop where I am, bus 19 minutes to first excursion meeting point, 31 minutes to walk. And booked back to miami so gotta get home. It was either fly directly home after my cruise or see rome and run into jubilee event weekend and memorial day.

This cruise is way more complicated than jumping on a Caribbean cruise. Once and done I think. Anyway I'm up to how to get home from miami. Everything else is booked. Should I book brightline now or wait. It too is not refundable. Just can cancel for future credit. I spent time this morning looking at booking options not just general googling. 

I'm getting into miami past 11 pm, so I'm going to spend the night. Flight leaves rome 10:30 am. I didnt want a really early flight. You have to be there too early to check in for international flights. I will be tired. Getting a hotel, and coming to orlando and shuttle home Saturday. Wait or book now for brightline?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

@firefly333 Arriving internationally at Miami can be very busy with long waits to clear Immigration/ customs .Have you considered flights with one stop? usually less expensive and you can clear customs in Charlotte or Atlanta and take a connecting flight to Orlando. 

Well if it takes longer to get off the plane in miami it does. My TA suggested Miami. I'm trusting his judgement I should book to miami and I do have a short stop, change of planes in madrid. The flight is booked into miami already. I've even chosen my seats on the plane, aisle seats this time. I want to be able to get up and stretch during the long flight. It was $25 extra to chose my seats so i chose. Seemed reasonable but I'm already booked into miami late may 30, memorial weekend. I'm up to how to get home may 31, saturday from miami after i spend the night. Everything is booked to miami, 4 days in rome after I get off. Excursions booked etc. Just need to get home, and was googling bright line last night. 

59 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Maybe I used the wrong words. My TA suggested I book direct with the airlines. His cheapest fare to orlando memorial weekend, didnt matter which city I go thru, air2sea was over $1500. Direct meaning not booking air with royal, direct with airlines. Which is what I did. Royals other fares to orlando even higher that day. I booked direct with the airline not thru royal. Not a direct flight though my TA also suggested that. Thru royal didnt matter which usa city I connected thru it was costly. My TA suggested miami. Booked. Sorry if I confused anyone. .. now to get home from miami. Last step in planning.

I'm just looking now at brightline, do they have sales or better deals or book now. 

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I’m saddened to hear how the disease is progressing. It’s always such a joy to read your posts and see the pictures of your family, but this one really hurts my heart. I think of you often and am always hoping for the best. You have a wonderful family there to support you and we are here also. Stay strong and never give up. ❤️

Renee, I could not have said it better!

Happy Birthday to Mike

I've heard TKR is a long recuperation.  I hope yours goes smoothly.

All this talk about travel from Miami reminds me of driving out of Miami after finishing Bella 01 cruise.  Bumper to bumper for hours! It was worse than sitting in NYC traffic during rush hour.  Honest!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe I used the wrong words. My TA suggested I book direct with the airlines. His cheapest fare to orlando memorial weekend, didnt matter which city I go thru, air2sea was over $1500. Direct meaning not booking air with royal, direct with airlines. Which is what I did. Royals other fares to orlando even higher that day. I booked direct with the airline not thru royal. Not a direct flight though my TA also suggested that. Thru royal didnt matter which usa city I connected thru it was costly. My TA suggested miami. Booked. Sorry if I confused anyone. .. now to get home from miami. Last step in planning.

I'm just looking now at brightline, do they have sales or better deals or book now. 

The point they are making is instead of flying into Miami and trying to get home from there, fly direct from Rome to some city that has a flight that you can then take to Orlando to get home or even Melbourne that isn't far from you either.  Orlando is an international hub but it does not have non-stops to Rome, thus your TA's suggestion to fly through Miami which does have non-stops to Rome.  

As far as getting home from Miami, you could fly Miami to MCO and then uber or shuttle home from there.  Flights aren't that different than Brightline.  Don't trust what you are seeing in Google searches for Brightline information, get directly on the Brightline website and see which trains each day are the ones that are "express" compared to the ones you saw with lots of stops.  Also look into shuttle companies that might go from Miami to your home area, even if it is to Port Canaveral and then uber home from there.  Also ask your neighbors who they use for airport runs.  I know in the complex my Mom has a home in just south of you, there are locals that do airport runs for cheap or cruise transfers.  Her TA even did transfers himself for his clients.  I know your TA is not in your area but you get what I am saying.

As far as future flights for other trips, don't get yourself stuck on just looking at MCO.  You are close to MLB, Sanford, and a bunch of other airports.  MLB doesn't have a ton of flights but it is a great little airport to get in and out of and is about 30 minutes south of you.  American and Delta have flights out of there as well as others.  I used to fly BOS to ATL to MLB to see my Mom as it was easier for her to get me there than MCO.  Door to door for me was the same amount of time, it was just whether or not I wanted to have two flights or a longer drive.  Even though I hate flying, I did the two flights more often because of the convenience of MLB.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Yea I looked some more today. The 7 hours was from google. I looked at booking and lots of so called direct for 3 plus hours. I dont see any less than that. I dont know after looking at prices I think it's a good alternative to driving round trip. I'm not in orlando so I'd still need a shuttle to orlando and to the miami hub. For one way I will probably do it, but not round trip like bellas. 

Arzeena our TA who you probably know is the one who said orlando is not that easy or a international hub. He named off the airports that are hubs. Air2sea is indeed priced from $1510. I'm already locked in date wise. And now flying into miami friday night late, 11 pm. My hotel and 2 excursions in rome are refundable, the last excursion and airfare is not. Sisteen chappel skip the line i took a chance and airfare. Now i either take amtrak to Kissimmee or Brightline to orlando airport. Prices for brightline for the deluxe which includes luggage and snacks start $109 one way, and also can be cancelled for brightline credit but not refundable. None of the $109 rates are times I want, very late in the day. So do you all say wait for a sale or book, at least $119 one way, Saturday may 31, memorial weekend. Should I wait to book brightline? I googled discounts but none of the codes work. I'm not a teacher or anything they offer discounts for. No senior discounts. Amtrak is cheaper but I think kissimmee further to uber home from. My TA suggested booking airfare direct. Prices air2sea are high. We only priced to orlando, but he mentioned miami being a hub airport. 

I'm booked on the TA to barcelona, then the 10 day to rome stopped at greece. I wanted to see athens greece. Then of course its I've never been to rome, I should see rome. I'm not sure I will ever do this again, too much planning. I booked refundable a very central hotel near pantheon, tivoli and some other stuff. It's going to be a long walk to vatican stuff I booked. People on another board said HOHO buses in rome are often full and dont even stop at the busy stop where I am, bus 19 minutes to first excursion meeting point, 31 minutes to walk. And booked back to miami so gotta get home. It was either fly directly home after my cruise or see rome and run into jubilee event weekend and memorial day.

This cruise is way more complicated than jumping on a Caribbean cruise. Once and done I think. Anyway I'm up to how to get home from miami. Everything else is booked. Should I book brightline now or wait. It too is not refundable. Just can cancel for future credit. I spent time this morning looking at booking options not just general googling. 

I'm getting into miami past 11 pm, so I'm going to spend the night. Flight leaves rome 10:30 am. I didnt want a really early flight. You have to be there too early to check in for international flights. I will be tired. Getting a hotel, and coming to orlando and shuttle home Saturday. Wait or book now for brightline?

Sorry, tried to help. Will stay out of it.
Your TA is absolutely the best and excellent and he will guide you best. No need to post here, because others only try to help and more the suggestions more your confusion. Good Luck!

• Like 7

17 hours ago, NHProud said:

Discreet is right . How did that happen ? Rolex is probably the only product on display and that is the clock .  The Joker won at 37 yrs .  

Who will be in the Royal box for the finals? 

Ha, Emirates have their sponsorship fingers in all sorts of sporting events 

Cricket,  football (soccer), racing, golf and tennis. When I was there they sponsored the indoor championship at the O2 each year and we often had a draw for free corporate tickets. I think Wimbledon is new for this year 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Your TA is absolutely the best and excellent and he will guide you best. No need to post here, because others only try to help and more the suggestions more your confusion. Good Luck!

Oh I know. I tried to ask specifically about bright line from miami. Then got into explaining why I'm in miami memorial weekend. I didnt mean it to for you to take offense. I'm sorry if I offended you. I wouldn't choose a holiday weekend either. I priced air2sea Thursday and friday, same price thru royal. Airline too had the same price Thursday or Friday before the holiday weekend. I looked at it and compared it every way I could find. Unless i cut rome to only one full day the flights cost the same. Flight is booked.

That's why i asked ....about brightline. Nothing else. Then as you said people tried to help. Telling me to change a flight I'm locked into. Asked about how to get home from miami. I have no plans to ever do this again, and its bad timing it's a holiday weekend I'm flying back. Families are takijgnlomg weekends and maybe disney idk, but the flight decision is locked down. Just asked originally about brightline. .. then as you pointed out people are pointing out I should have or could have booked a different flight. But I didnt, I'm in miami a holiday weekend and want to get up near cape Canaveral. My TA looked at various dates and unless I dont see much of rome this is what seemed best. 

I didnt mean to offend you. I like you a lot and wouldnt do that on purpose. Sorry.

I'm not asking about airline help. As I say its booked. Just asked how best to get home from miami. A holiday weekend when families will be travelling to florida for various vacations. Woulda shoulda coulda on the flight, I'm past that, booked into  Miami. Have to get home.

I sure didnt mean to step on your toes. I truly am sorry. Love your posts. You are so nice and supportive. Telling me not to ask ... I asked about how to get home from miami ... I'll go away if no one knows if brightline has sales or info about brightline. Sorry 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

I'm really sorry.

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Oh I know. I tried to ask specifically about bright line from miami. Then got into explaining why I'm in miami memorial weekend. I didnt mean it to tske offense. I'm sorry if I offended you. I wouldn't choose a holiday weekend either. I priced air2sea Thursday and friday, same price thrj royal. Airline too had the same price Thursday or Friday before the holiday weekend. I looked at it and compared it every way I could find. Unless i cut rome to only one full day the flights cost the same. Flight is booked.

That's why i asked ....about brightline. Nothing else. Then as you said people tried to help. Telling me to change a flight I'm locked into. Asked about how to get home from miami. I have no plans to ever do this again, and its bad timing it's a holiday weekend I'm flying back. Families are takijgnlomg weekends and maybe disney idk, but the flight decision is locked down. Just asked originally about brightline. .. then as you pointed out people are pointing out I should have or could have booked a different flight. But I didnt, I'm in miami a holiday weekend and want to get up near cape Canaveral. My TA looked at various dates and unless I dont see much of rome this is what seemed best. 

I didnt mean to offend you. I like you a lot and wouldnt do that on purpose. Sorry.

I'm not asking about airline help. As I say its booked. Just asked how best to get home from miami. A holiday weekend when families will be travelling to florida for various vacations. Woulda shoulda coulda on the flight, I'm past that, booked into  Miami. Have to get home.

I sure didnt mean to step on your toes. I truly am sorry. Love your posts. You are so nice and supportive. 

No offense at all. Hence no apologies. 🥰
I just do not want to add to any confusion. You are in VERY capable hands of your TA. I know that he will help work it all out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm really sorry.

No no no. No need to feel that way. No apologies at all. 🥰
Now go enjoy your swim class !!!!!!😁 or bridge?

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

All this talk about travel from Miami reminds me of driving out of Miami after finishing Bella 01 cruise.  Bumper to bumper for hours! It was worse than sitting in NYC traffic during rush hour.  Honest!

Oh my, I can't imagine anything worse than the Cross Bronx Expressway during rush hour. Whoever named that road "Expressway" was doing drugs. 

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

For the New Yorkers who want to visit the 9/11 Memorial Museum, they have some free days for the locals to see the place.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news/11-museum-for-free-on-select-days-070524

That's so nice!  Thank you, Harry!  I just realized that Jim and I are no longer New York(ers) since moving to New Jersey.  LOL!  However, since Jim is retired FDNY and spent time at Ground Zero, he and I will be free whenever the time comes that he's ready.  Thank you again.🥰

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Oh my, I can't imagine anything worse than the Cross Bronx Expressway during rush hour. Whoever named that road "Expressway" was doing drugs. 

Well, what we've found worse than the Cross Bronx Expressway during rush hour, is sitting on I-95 in South Carolina, after a freak snowfall, heading South.  It took us over 8 hours to get through the State, which normally would take 3 and a half to 4 hours.  That was several years ago.  Since Covid, more people (Snow Birds, et al) drive along I-95, and all you need is one accident, and you sit.  SC is mostly just a two lane highway.  I believe we are now done with that drive.  We plan on flying from now on, and having our car shipped by truck to our Condo for the Winter.😉

• Like 7

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I sure didnt mean to step on your toes. 

If I were you I would be very careful about stepping on @Arzeena 's toes when her nails are freshly painted. She might not be as good natured about it.

• Haha 11

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

If I were you I would be very careful about stepping on @Arzeena 's toes when her nails are freshly painted. She might not be as good natured about it.

Just you wait till I meet you on a cruise with your fresh painted nails!😁😉😆

• Haha 10