Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

36 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa said I could share her second paint by numbers. It took her a few weeks to complete. Lots pretty amazing. 

She did an amazing job.  Looks lovely.  I love your video and music selection.

Where are you hanging her masterpiece?

53 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa said I could share her second paint by numbers. It took her a few weeks to complete. Lots pretty amazing. 

That's beautiful, and your video is fascinating.  How big is the painting?

3 hours ago, Sheal said:

Don’t gag but after going to the Netherlands I acquired a taste for Mayo on my fries.  Not here at home though, I stick with vinegar and sometimes ketchup.

Yes, we spent some time in Bruges, Belgium and we have occassionally afterwards found the mayo sauce overseas and brought a bottle home.  I have had fries that way in NZ too.  It is not my go to since, mayo has fat and catsup doesn’t, but it is really good.  Belgium is known for their waffles, and they are good, but the fries with mayo sauce is even better.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Personally, I wouldn't gag... Having lived in Brussels for 5 years, and traveling frequently to the Netherlands, I had my share of their excellent French fries with Mayo.

BTW, they serve mussels with a side of fries too.... I wish I was facing a big pot of mussels + fries right now 😁

Yes, one of my favorite meals.  A long time ago, we did a company trip and took several hundred people to Atlantis in Nassau Bahamas, and one night we went with another couple to dinner in town, and there was this tiny Belgium bar, and we had that exact meal for 4 with PEI mussels, a nice bottle of wine, it was simply delightful.  So, the next night I took a couple of really good customers there, and we repeated.  So, that was in 2008... so on one of our Oasis cruises in the mid 2010s the DW and I figured we could have lunch there, we couldn’t remember exactly where it was, so finally I started searching, and it had gone out business because we went to the address and the small bar/restaurant was gone. Very sad moment.  

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Tried them...not bad.   But have you tried the Oscar Mayer turkey bacon?  We have tried many other brands and none compared.   The so called "Turkey Bacon" on the ship, especially in the Solarium Cafe on Oasis class ship...uggh...disgusting!  Not all Turkey Bacon is created equal. 😉 

I don’t know that I have seen it in our stores, but I will look.  I know the ones we have tried in the past sucked.  The chicken sausage is really good... I mean almost pork good.

• Like 1

Here are the chicken sausages, we like, we found another brand while we were in Key West at Publix in March, and they were good, but not as good.

We find these occassionally at the super Walmart, but usually at their smaller grocery stores, called Neighborhood Market in the freezer section.

534B6168-2F0F-4F24-A5CD-92D1FB2F3555.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

or malt vinegar.  Finding regular/white/clear vinegar in the states can be hard. 

Malt vinegar is a must on fish and chips or chips on their own.

Pauline puts salt on hers too but I never put salt on anything.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not my cup of tea.

Sure, you can tell me it's tasty, just like I told everyone that grape jelly on a grilled cheese sandwich is tasty. No problem insulting me though😇

See how that works😉

Oh John, you know by now I was just messing with you. 😉 Molly's statement about dipping them in gravy made me think of the food stands along the waterfront in Halifax.  Had never seen or heard of Poutine before.   Apparently a popular dish there.  

Agree...not something I would like either.  But each taste is unique...even jelly heads.  😄 

• Like 3

I keep referring to my wife as "my wife", so I'll start using her name...Micheline.  It's pronounced Michael-een.  She was named after her father's friend Michael.  Her family and friends often just call her Mike.

So I was all ready yesterday morning to say that we had very little in the way of second Moderna shot side effects (we got the shot at 7:00pm Wed).  My arm soreness Thursday morning was less than after the first shot.  Micheline's soreness had spread to her shoulder and back, and by noon the next day she had fatigue and some chills.  A few hours later, I also had some mild chills and body aches, which got a little worse.  We dressed in sweats and watched TV while covered in blankets and went to bed early.  Thankfully, everything's back to normal this morning.

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That does look delicious

It was...though we thought to ourselves...huh? 🤨 We saw a lot of signs advertising it.   Dish was very popular there, and you know we just had to try it.  Amazingly good, and with a local Dry Rose' from Provence....fantastic!  And not expensive at all, even right along the waterfront district.  

• Like 3

Now I am craving french fries.  These are yummy too!

We saw them, but alas did not try them.  Guess I need to sometimes, though two of our NE/Canadian cruises were cancelled.  😞   

I do like my French Fries very crisp...not soggy as they would be with all that gravy.  😮  But eh...will still give them a try once anyway.  😉 

10 hours ago, dbancroft said:

depends on where the double vision came from...lol

I am afraid I was giving it to everyone on this thread when those posts doubled up...frustrating.  Rather indeed have double vision from something more fun.  😉 

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I don’t know that I have seen it in our stores, but I will look.  I know the ones we have tried in the past sucked.  The chicken sausage is really good... I mean almost pork good.

Funny thing about the ship too.  The turkey bacon is really...really awful!!  But they have a turkey link sausage I thought was quite good, and had no idea what brand it was.  Haven't been able to find anything close to that in the stores.  

Maybe I need to sneak into the galley next time to check it out.  😄 

13 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

or malt vinegar.  Finding regular/white/clear vinegar in the states can be hard. 

I see a lot of Malt Vinegar for the traditional Fish and Chips...guessing Graham likes it that way.  😉  

I like it on the fish, but not the chips.  

• Like 1

Mussels with fries sounds good.  Do they serve both together in a sauce or separate?

Separate.  Fries would get soggy. 

The "sauce" for the mussels is a simple white wine they steam them in.  They heat up the large deep pan with a little olive oil, some garlic and shallots, then add the white wine until hot..add the mussels to steam. 

The dish is soooo simple, fresh and good.  🙂 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Yes, we spent some time in Bruges, Belgium and we have occassionally afterwards found the mayo sauce overseas and brought a bottle home.  I have had fries that way in NZ too.  It is not my go to since, mayo has fat and catsup doesn’t, but it is really good.  Belgium is known for their waffles, and they are good, but the fries with mayo sauce is even better.

Oh yes...love..love the food in NZ!!  Frustrating that we were supposed to be down there right now.  😞 

But the one thing I tried that I almost gagged on...the Vegemite.  Ughh...  Must be an acquired taste.  😜

• Like 1