Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, singinalot said:

oh yeah I was big time into Stampin Up about 10 years ago.  I finally let all of my stuff go...on a selling site

I think that was Micheline's brand also.  Several other women in our neighborhood were into it and I think there's only one woman left who still makes her own cards.  Micheline was on a first name basis with her distributor who I used to call her dealer.

• Like 1

Just now, singinalot said:

when I think about the money I spent.... 😞 

Hence "dealer". 

Dealer: Look at this pretty new stamp.  Perfect for such and such special occasion.  Do you want to buy it? 

Micheline: Yes please.

Dealer: You don't even want to know how much it costs?

If it made you happy though...

• Haha 1

Mom was heavily into hobbies- woodworking (she made very nice Danish modern furniture), stamp collecting, also stamp collecting, in the printing of stamps on paper, scrapbooking, photography, golf, reading, art, needle work, collecting music....She was good at everything. 

She left everything behind. It took some time to sort it out, but we have lovely momentos of her interests. And some stuff we haven’t been able to dispose of yet, because they were hers. 

However, the silver...she got tired of it, and I naively took it. Now I know why she didn’t want it!

• Like 1

I had to drop in and say YUM looking at food pictures makes my mouth water (especially the Hula pie above!).

Not pie, but I think it might be time for me to make this old time Royal favorite again 😄

Royal Caribbean Honey Stung Chicken Recipe

3- 4 boneless chicken breasts

1/2 cup honey

2 Tbs raspberry or cider vinegar

2/3 cup flour

2 Tbs fine dry bread crumbs

2 tsp ground cayenne pepper

2 eggs

1/4 cup buttermilk

1 cup vegetable oil

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Vegetable oil for frying

Preparation

Cut the tenders from the breast, and pound the breasts to flattens slightly. Stir the honey and vinegar together and pour over the chicken. Marinate for 2 hour to 4 hours in refrigerator, stirring occasionally.

In a bowl, combine flour, bread crumbs, and cayenne pepper; set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.

In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat to 300°, (higher temperatures could burn honey). Turn oven on to 200.

Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain on paper towels. Dip the chicken in beaten egg mixture, season with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour mixture, coating thoroughly. 

Add the chicken pieces two or three at a time. Don't overcrowd the pan. Fry on each side until golden brown. Remove to a rack on a sheet pan, lined with paper towels. Hold in the oven, while you fry the rest of the pieces. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The day that we've been dreading is rapidly approaching...the day that we need to go back to Cincinnati to sell our house there.  We leave here next Monday.  We are really NOT looking forward to leaving Amelia Island and definitely not looking forward to the whole house selling process.  We've got a week or 2 of clean-up and staging work to make the house sparkle for picture day.  Our realtor expects the house to sell very quickly (at list price or above) so I'm not too worried about that part.  We then though need to decide what to move/sell/donate.  I stay as far away from FB as possible but I think we'll be FB Marketplace regulars for a couple of weeks.  We also need to move my 23 year old daughter out of our house and into an apartment.  Then we have the actual move process itself for us.  Yuck.

I AM looking forward to simplifying everything down to one address and one set of bills (nice monthly savings), but that also means getting our daughters set up for their own car insurance, bank accounts, etc.  Hopefully, we'll be back here by end of June with everything behind us, except for maybe the closing itself.

Recently went thru selling my late Dad’s house and disposing (ie:dumpster) 50+ years worth of “treasures”.  But he did have a 3 bedroom house worth of furniture that I couldn’t just trash. One thing I will say is, if you’re not looking to get the max amount for your stuff and just want easy then a yard/garage sale may be the way to go.  We didn’t do this due to Covid so I put all the furniture items on fb marketplace.  What a P.I.T.A!  People will ask you a hundred questions (regardless of how detailed your description is), ask for additional pictures, set a time to come pickup and then never show.  Yard/garage sale is usually a one shot deal, or two if you do it over a weekend.  Anything that’s left you can donate.  I’m all about easy these days.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

If you are in Maui, you have to get the Hula Pie from Kimo's.  You can also get it from Dukes on Oahu.

It is Oh, so good!!!

IMG_0370.thumb.JPG.49dec2f4b7eb341c4a69015a05c854a7.JPG

Wow...decadent!  😄   I love Mamma's homemade coconut ice cream.  No picture to share, but wouldn't last long enough to snap a shot anyway.  😉 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Picture of a typical moules frites meal in Brussels.  You usually have a choice of a few broths in which the muscles cook.  I'm with Dani.  Simple white wine is best.  Yummy.

Moules et frites - Picture of Chez Leon, Brussels - Tripadvisor

Another vote for simple white wine to steam them in.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Have you tried this in an air fryer?  Would be interested to see how it worked.

No I haven't yet, wonder if the honey will burn? I will have to throw at least one in to see what happens.😊

I have to make a grocery run to get more honey - I just checked and my little honey bear bottle is almost empty with not nearly the 1/2 cup the recipe calls for. I'll need to get the Sams Club bulk pack so I can put this recipe back into rotation LOL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Micheline is struggling with 2 things, as to whether to move them or not.  First is the Wedgewood china set that we received when we got married.  We used to dust it off for holiday dinners but haven't even done that in a few years.  Looks nice in our dining room china cabinet in Ohio that matches our Mahogany dining room set.  Don't plan to move the dining room furniture and won't have a place to put the china.  Maybe we'll pass those "precious treasures" to our kids. 😁

Second is her extensive collection of stamping stuff.  This was her hobby back in the late 90s/early 00s.  She hosted stamping parties (think Tupperware party) and hand made all of her greeting cards.  Really nice cards with a personal touch.  She hasn't used any of it in almost 20 years and is trying to decide if she will REALLY pick up that hobby again or just give it up completely.  I think there's still a secondary market for that stuff.

I have a full and complete set of Christmas Spode that Bucky's Mommy gave us first year we were married.  Used it once in 25 years.  Takes up cabinet space in that "never used over the fridge cabinet".  

Hope Bucky's daughter will like them when we pass on.  She isn't going to get much money if we can get cruising back up and running again.  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

No I haven't yet, wonder if the honey will burn? I will have to throw at least one in to see what happens.😊

I have to make a grocery run to get more honey - I just checked and my little honey bear bottle is almost empty with not nearly the 1/2 cup the recipe calls for. I'll need to get the Sams Club bulk pack so I can put this recipe back into rotation LOL.  

That's what I was thinking too but is worth the experiment.  We haven't had our air fryer very long, so I am still learning.  I have learned to reduce all temperatures by at least 25 degrees and thinner is better on chicken.  Will let you know how my experiment goes, will try next week.  Thanks for the recipe.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Recently went thru selling my late Dad’s house and disposing (ie:dumpster) 50+ years worth of “treasures”.  But he did have a 3 bedroom house worth of furniture that I couldn’t just trash. One thing I will say is, if you’re not looking to get the max amount for your stuff and just want easy then a yard/garage sale may be the way to go.  We didn’t do this due to Covid so I put all the furniture items on fb marketplace.  What a P.I.T.A!  People will ask you a hundred questions (regardless of how detailed your description is), ask for additional pictures, set a time to come pickup and then never show.  Yard/garage sale is usually a one shot deal, or two if you do it over a weekend.  Anything that’s left you can donate.  I’m all about easy these days.

Best thing we ever did when Bucky's pack rat parents passed on was to hire a company to do an "estate sale".   Spent over a month up there cleaning stuff up and getting the house ready to sell.  They lived in Ohio, we live in Florida...needed to take care of it ASAP so we could go back home. 

It was a "one and done" day.  Company was smart, putting things in "lots"...all new to me since I have never been to one.  They told me the secret was to put the "good stuff" in the middle of each lot.  Buyer has to take the crap along with what they really wanted.  Boy did that clean the place out!!  😄 

• Like 6

Oh yes! We've done that. It was a lot of fun. I spent 3 weeks on Maui in college studying tropical marine biology. So I have been to most places on that particular island. The rest we have only visited as cruise stops. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, island lady said:

Did you do the Old Lahaina Luau?   Touristy....but we had a lot of fun.  And too many Mai Tais!  😉 🧉

18 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Oh yes! We've done that. It was a lot of fun. 

A very enjoyable evening 😁

DSC_1106.JPG

DSC_1114.JPG

DSC_1117.JPG

DSC_1146.JPG

DSC_1150.JPG

DSC_1170 (1280x701).jpg

DSC_1186.JPG

DSC_1192.JPG

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

On our way to New Jersey for our family dinner to celebrate 50 long years🥰Tomorrow is the actual day but we have been celebrating all week! Our friend is a Monsignor and pastor of our Church is coming along to bless our next 50🙏

Marietta

I hope you both have a wonderful 50th wedding anniversary tomorrow with your family.

Graham.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Picture of a typical moules frites meal in Brussels.  You usually have a choice of a few broths in which the muscles cook.  I'm with Dani.  Simple white wine is best.  Yummy.

Moules et frites - Picture of Chez Leon, Brussels - Tripadvisor

simple white wine (maybe some garlic) is exactly how I like them too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Best thing we ever did when Bucky's pack rat parents passed on was to hire a company to do an "estate sale".   Spent over a month up there cleaning stuff up and getting the house ready to sell.  They lived in Ohio, we live in Florida...needed to take care of it ASAP so we could go back home. 

It was a "one and done" day.  Company was smart, putting things in "lots"...all new to me since I have never been to one.  They told me the secret was to put the "good stuff" in the middle of each lot.  Buyer has to take the crap along with what they really wanted.  Boy did that clean the place out!!  😄 

Definitely the easiest and would’ve been my first choice.  Unfortunately we couldn’t get anyone around here to do it in the midst of Covid.  

• Like 1