Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Being the giving person that I am 😁, I decided to donate some of my valuable time to resolve the great mayo vs. butter debate.  I made 2 grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch today, one spread with butter and one spread with mayo.  The details...both sandwiches used 100% whole wheat bread and provolone cheese.  For butter, I used Kerrygold Pure Irish salted butter.  For mayo, I used Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise.  (Japanese vs. American mayo)

IMG_6931.thumb.jpg.5ff7b894047b198846e727b250e29fc3.jpg

IMG_6932.thumb.jpg.ebad1d04e9970ca162b6a49a98d3b5f1.jpg

IMG_6934.thumb.jpg.f6a95120ca803efda9911fe9d1ab8e44.jpg

IMG_6935.thumb.jpg.d0de63a8c4091c3e84e993c9a445a8f5.jpg

I didn't see any difference in preparation or cooking.  We keep our butter on the counter at all times so it's always soft and spreadable. (Tried to convince my wife when we got married that butter should be in the fridge but she grew up with it on the counter and refused to change.  Happy wife...).  If you keep butter in the fridge (as I assume most normal people do...don't tell my wife), you may have a hard time spreading it to fully cover a piece of bread.  Mayo would then have an advantage for you in prep work.  I cooked both sandwiches in the same pan at the same heat level and they browned evenly.  Once cooked, if I hadn't keep track of which sandwich was which, I would not have been able to tell them apart visually.

The most important part though is the taste test.

IMG_6936.thumb.jpg.b662ac67cee7684fb3c1f245f42b1676.jpg

Verdict: The butter sandwich tasted better than the mayo sandwich.  The mayo sandwich was fine...perfectly edible, but it's hard to beat the taste of butter.  Disclaimer...the Japanese mayo probably influenced the results.  I learned about Japanese mayo from Sam the Cooking Guy.  It has a different taste than Hellman's Real Mayo that we otherwise use and I prefer the Japanese mayo in a deli sandwich.  Just to be sure that butter is really better, I'll need to try this again but with butter vs. Hellman's mayo.  The things that I do in the name of science to better humanity.

Yes!!  Score one for Butter!!   👍  And I won't tell your wife, but I am a "keep the butter in the Fridge" kind of gal also.  But we live in Florida, so I am not interested in a second curdling of butter in the heat.  😄 

Great job on the comparison...you should apply to "America's Test Kitchen" for that! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

So many good ways to dress up a grilled cheese sandwich, but bacon always makes things better.

Mmmm...Bacon.  🤗  When we splurge on the real stuff the rare times we eat out...naturally it goes right to our arteries...but oh so good! 

At home...it's turkey bacon.   Have tried many different brands, but it's Oscar Mayer that works the best for us.  OK...everyone can gag now.  😄 

54 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm having the same problem. Just started recently. It's not you. I thought perhaps my brave browser wasnt compatible with cc. I made the mistake of updating it yesterday and did a triple post. Ehhh. And I thought double posting was bad. 

It isnt us. If i only press post one time, it's nothing I'm doing. Its cc. 

I wish I could blame it on wine lol. Dont have any wine here hahahahaha. I'm on a tablet, not same as you but I'm having same issue.

OK...thanks.  Good to know I am not the only one with double vision.  😉  

Take that Dave!!  😄 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

You're going to hang onto that for a while, aren't you?  Our restaurant last night had a Monte Cristo sandwich on the menu.  I almost had to order it, but didn't because it was served with raspberry preserves.  

Mmm...love the Monte Cristo...just tell them to hold the jelly.  😉 

4 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

And your point?🤪

I knew one of you would chime in on that.  😄  Yeah, in the great words of Jimmy Buffett..."It's 5:00 somewhere" right?  😉 

Leaving for CA wine country next week.  Our 4:00 happy hour here in Florida would put us at 1:00 there.  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

My middle daughter puts potato chips in her sandwiches and also puts french  fries on her burgers & hot dogs.  She picked this up in college, at West Virginia University (if you know, you know).  

I love to dip my french fries into a vanilla milkshake.    Ummmm so good!

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Mmmm...Bacon.  🤗  When we splurge on the real stuff the rare times we eat out...naturally it goes right to our arteries...but oh so good! 

At home...it's turkey bacon.   Have tried many different brands, but it's Oscar Mayer that works the best for us.  OK...everyone can gag now.  😄 

So, my DW has alpha gal... and that means no bacon.  At first we were eating turkey bacon, it is edible but not good.  Then we went to turkey sausage links and they were better.  Now we are eating maple flavored chicken sausage links, and they are actually very good.  They come pre cooked and frozen, but we still cook them.  So, you might give those a try.  Way better than turkey bacon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I knew one of you would chime in on that.  😄  Yeah, in the great words of Jimmy Buffett..."It's 5:00 somewhere" right?  😉 

Leaving for CA wine country next week.  Our 4:00 happy hour here in Florida would put us at 1:00 there.  😆

Whatever makes you happy is Happy Hour!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Not kidding, it is delicious.    If you make nice crispy skinny french fries with a nice not so thick vanilla milkshake, perfect !    Must try 

33 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I knew people who would also dip their fries in their Wendy’s frosty. 

Oooooo kkkaaayyy.... at least, make it chocolate flavored ... That's the way I like my milk shake  😉

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, my DW has alpha gal... and that means no bacon.  At first we were eating turkey bacon, it is edible but not good.  Then we went to turkey sausage links and they were better.  Now we are eating maple flavored chicken sausage links, and they are actually very good.  They come pre cooked and frozen, but we still cook them.  So, you might give those a try.  Way better than turkey bacon.

Could you share the brand name?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Oooooo kkkaaayyy.... at least, make it chocolate flavored ... That's the way like my milk shake  😉

I prefer to dip my French fries or chunky chips into barbecue sauce or tomato ketchup.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Oooooo kkkaaayyy.... at least, make it chocolate flavored ... That's the way like my milk shake  😉

Sure you can do a chocolate shake too.  I prefer vanilla shakes.  Think of it as a sweet and salty treat.

Wendy's frosty works but I think a milkshake is better.

• Like 1