Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We booked flights today with Delta, using flight credits from March of last year for our Oasis March 2022 cruise. We are flying down Friday afternoon into Fort Lauderdale.  It was cheaper from there than MIA and flight times were slightly better.

We also booked 2 nights at The Margaritaville Beach Resort at Hollywood Beach.  It will be our home before heading to the port on Sunday. Seems a little surreal booking this considering no ships have sailed in over a year from Florida. 

Did I mention they have a Flowrider. 😁

• Like 6

12 hours ago, island lady said:

Hope all goes well, and you have a fantabulous time!  We also have our flights, rental car, and VRBO houses booked, but is for Maine this summer.  Will be strange not to drive the "land yacht" up there this year.  

Where in Maine do you stay?  I can’t imagine you going in that water, I don’t think it gets above 40 degrees.😀

12 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed!!  👍

And once the Pineapples start producing...the new ones get eaten and stuffed in dirt as well.  😄 

Sounds vicious and delicious.  I didn’t realize it was so easy, I just threw another top out last week.  Way easier than trying to grow an orchid.

• Like 1

We can grow the plants here in California, but there is no fruit, because they need really warm and humid. They are bromeliads and get moisture through their leaves. Think Hawaii or Florida, maybe Texas. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Adding some Old Lahaina Luau pics from 20

_CM_4303.thumb.jpg.f68ab77dfd95abe70dc9d8f95a55959a.jpg

I remember that Luau especially for one part

When they danced and sang the Hawaiian wedding song I always cried.  Been to Hawaii 9 times and every time it gets to me.

In fact We bought the CD of the wedding song done by the Beamer Brothers.  Well done.

Thanks for bringing back memories.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

When they danced and sang the Hawaiian wedding song I always cried.  Been to Hawaii 9 times and every time it gets to me.

The first time that we went was on our honeymoon.  We were one of the couples up dancing to that song.  It's a nice touch given the large number of honeymooners who travel to Hawaii.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Funny how we do things so different and each have success. They are very forgiving. We have about 6 with small pineapples on them. They are so good.

Agree...soooo good!  Very sweet, and juicy.  Not sure if it's just because of the loving care, or all the anticipation of our home grown.  🙂 

15 hours ago, sgmn said:

I presume you need hot tropical weather to grow? Would it work in an unheated greenhouse in our temperate UK climate ?

I tried the avocado growing method you mentioned a few months ago but it didn't work for me 🙁

We usually spend the summers in Maine in the "land yacht" AKA motor home.  I always took at least one favorite Pineapple plant with us.  (Bucky not happy about all the plants in the back of his Jeep we towed behind us, but he accepted it 😉 ).  

That Pineapple usually ended up as the biggest of the bunch, since it had constant care.  I transplanted one to a bigger pot up there several times.  

Soooo nope.  Doesn't need tropical weather, but can't have it out in the open for long should it freeze.  We had a record cold snap here a couple months ago, got down to freezing for a few hours, but didn't lose any Pineapples.  

Sorry about the Avocado.  I have had one failure, but most seem to make it.  This one is a first, as it is a Florida Avocado, not a Hass Avocado.  Thing is growing like a weed!!  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheal said:

Where in Maine do you stay?  I can’t imagine you going in that water, I don’t think it gets above 40 degrees.😀

LOL...we don't swim in the ocean.  😄   But we did kayak in it a few times.  

Prefer the many lakes to kayak in, and Bucky would swim in those a few times.  Much warmer than the ocean, but still a bit chilly for me.  😮 

Up until this year, our place to stay was in Harrington.  South of Machias, but north of Ellsworth/Bar Harbor.  Nice small RV park on the bay, owned by a couple we ended up being good friends with. Great views from our site, with lots of Hummingbirds and Finches that came to our feeders.  🤗

This year, flying up and renting an SUV.  Staying in Bar Harbor area, then north to Gouldsboro, then further north to Milbridge.  Those are all on the ocean. All near Acadia National Park.  Then two more homes just south of Bangor on two different lakes.  Will be buying Hummingbird feeders to tote along with us when I get there.  😉 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

We booked flights today with Delta, using flight credits from March of last year for our Oasis March 2022 cruise. We are flying down Friday afternoon into Fort Lauderdale.  It was cheaper from there than MIA and flight times were slightly better.

We also booked 2 nights at The Margaritaville Beach Resort at Hollywood Beach.  It will be our home before heading to the port on Sunday. Seems a little surreal booking this considering no ships have sailed in over a year from Florida. 

Did I mention they have a Flowrider. 😁

I hear 'ya on the credits!!  😮   

Used Delta credit for our flight to Spokane for next November, and AA for our flights to CA this Friday, and then again to Maine on 5/30.  Got them all used up now.  Whew!  🙂 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, island lady said:

I hear 'ya on the credits!!  😮   

Used Delta credit for our flight to Spokane for next November, and AA for our flights to CA this Friday, and then again to Maine on 5/30.  Got them all used up now.  Whew!  🙂 

I bet you have enough to use up. 

Air Canada changed their flight credits to refunds a couple weeks when they received government loans. It was part of their agreement. I received a nice refund last week for one set of flights already. Now I am waiting on the final one, four business seats from Toronto to Hawaii. It was going to take some time to use that credit up.  

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I bet you have enough to use up. 

Air Canada changed their flight credits to refunds a couple weeks when they received government loans. It was part of their agreement. I received a nice refund last week for one set of flights already. Now I am waiting on the final one, four business seats from Toronto to Hawaii. It was going to take some time to use that credit up.  

Luckily I received full cash refund on cancelled Aussie trip flight from United.  Big cha' ching $$   🤗 

Also AA gave me cash refund for flight to Barcelona, but credit from return from Miami (used already).  And refund for flight to San Juan.  

Just hoping the flights I have booked now all end up happening with no problems.  Tired of all the cancellations as we all are.  🤕

• Like 4

In our little "nursery" we have the Avocado growing well, including newcomers Southern Magnolia trees (really complicated to grow them from seed), two palms, and some Sea Grapes.  Shots of our jungle anyone has to climb through to get to courtyard (Bucky's doing), and some of the Pineapples.  Also have Sea Hibiscus that has not popped up yet.  

20210426_091719.jpg

20210426_091901.jpg

20210426_091800.jpg

20210426_091820.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 11

52 minutes ago, island lady said:

In our little "nursery" we have the Avocado growing well, including newcomers Southern Magnolia trees (really complicated to grow them from seed), two palms, and some Sea Grapes.  Shots of our jungle anyone has to climb through to get to courtyard (Bucky's doing), and some of the Pineapples.  Also have Sea Hibiscus that has not popped up yet.  

20210426_091719.jpg

20210426_091901.jpg

20210426_091800.jpg

20210426_091820.jpg

Great pictures Pat.

• Like 1

The car is fully packed for our trip back to Cincinnati.  And I mean FULLY packed.  It's amazing how many things we absolutely cannot live without for 2 months 🙄.  The biggest space hog is an under counter wine fridge that came with the house and that we're giving to a young couple that's getting married and is very much into wine.  Even though it's used, they are very excited to have a wine fridge in their house.  We'll do better with a regular under counter fridge in the same space that is more flexible.  Wine doesn't usually last long enough in our house anyway.

We're going halfway there tonight and staying overnight in Asheville.  Then the rest of the way there tomorrow.  We've made this trip several times and it's fairly easy when broken into two 6 hour drives.  Fortunately, weather looks good in Cincinnati for the next week.  That will help some with missing Florida.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Bucky does like his jungle atmosphere.  😵

Great pictures. How long before your plants shoot out pineapples?  How do you know when they're ready to harvest?  I'm assuming they need lots of sun?

@island lady I didn't realize how massive the pineapple plants got.  I've been to Hawaii twice as a teen but didn't get a good perspective from the back seat of the car as we drove by the fields.

@bobmaclibertySounds like the trips I made driving my mother back from FL to RI.  Car was jammed packed with barely enough room to see out the back window.  I'm sure it will be a busy two months for you but the relief of selling the house will be worth it.

• Like 2