Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Adding some Old Lahaina Luau pics from 2014

_CM_4259.thumb.jpg.05241993471a70b9ddcc7630982fd084.jpg

_CM_4267.thumb.jpg.3f77525335fc11c6f0a1dfafa8f822d1.jpg

If you want to sit really close to the stage, you're sitting on the ground on pillows

_CM_4271.thumb.jpg.d659a06158897d0f1d350aeecd5a352a.jpg

We preferred sitting in real chairs a little further back, but still close (it's a small venue)

_CM_4278.thumb.jpg.8aa4213a09b1128271dc7ef956dfc493.jpg

_CM_4303.thumb.jpg.f68ab77dfd95abe70dc9d8f95a55959a.jpg

_CM_4313.thumb.jpg.da71bcb3f297ce8a0f82dddd3d8fe768.jpg

_CM_4314.thumb.jpg.2b610b7c849e788249194f6a3033082b.jpg

_CM_4335.thumb.jpg.13c5b8a135986ae9dd6a2cb75d748ab4.jpg

_CM_4338.thumb.jpg.50057b859db63dff9dede89fda978d5a.jpg

_CM_4353.thumb.jpg.e640e7f577d6e4e0e1fd941d40b5a7eb.jpg

_CM_4351.thumb.jpg.46942cf68e87fc1c2eb510bb70520889.jpg

_CM_4273.jpg

Beautiful family and photos.  I have not yet been to Hawaii.  Someday I will get there!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Very pretty women your family!! I've been to Lahina of course, but haven't been to a tourist luau in ages, maybe 30 years. Though we did family luauas where I lived in the country at every excuse. In the country a luau success was on the kinds of raw fish they served. Lots of singing. I think maybe they are so good because they grow up with it. Pictures take me back in time.

Wasn't a fan of Poi though.  Ewww..purple goo!!  😉 

38 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

All the lots are on about an acre and half, some even back up to the gold course, our however doesn't but we are fine with that, makes it a little more private which we like.

We go out for a walk everyday about 3 miles around in and around the golf course.

Golf course.jpg

Golf course 2.jpg

Absolutely beautiful....postcard perfect!!   Actually a good thing not to be right on the golf course, the ones that are here in our community have plenty of "dings" in the siding and occasional broken windows from stray golf balls.  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Wasn't a fan of Poi though.  Ewww..purple goo!!  😉 

Me either, but I love taro chips. Kinda like sweet potatoe chips that way. Taro can be good or bad. Poi  I'm a nope. My bf used to tell me it's better to leave it out and let it ferment more. Seeing it bubble up, still a nope from me. The rest of the food I'm a fan of. They "made party" for kindergarten graduation, auntie birthday, hs graduation, any excuse. 

Roy rabanal is the brother of the guy I lived with and went to family parties with. Believe it or not at the time roy was a airline steward whose home back then was in the state of Washington, though hes moved back and I see on utube finding his roots and still singing. He had a song where he held a note longer than is possible and everyone would beg for that song and cheer him on. I never could see how he snuck breaths while he held that high note. Here is one of him on utube, bald now lol and retired. Hawaiian falsetto. 

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Beautiful, beautiful girls you've got there, Bob. Every one of them in her unique beauty.

And, thanks for the photos from other point of views. Funny, I don't even remember the band playing. We were still jet lagged (cousin arrived some 10 days before us to Honolulu), and the cruise was very intensive, no sea days to "recuperate" at all....

It was an once in a life time trip, but, oh so well worth it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, singinalot said:

wow.  LoL yeah I agree. No hotel.

We got the clear to close on Friday. Since we’re out of state, the title company sent the documents via Fedex and are supposed to be here Monday by noon. We’ll then go to the bank to do the wire transfer and notarize documents and then to Fedex to send documents back. 

The good news is the current tenant in the house wants to sign a new lease with us through next June which is when we’re moving! It all worked perfectly. Well, that part anyway. The hours of work I’ve put into this has been beyond exhausting. 

Wow great news. I did a remote closing and it just isnt the same as sitting there and having the numbers gone over, shake hands, give over the keys. I rushed my wire transfer a day ahead of time and switched title co and now there is a overage I need the title co to send me, and the owner seems to have lost keys to the pool area. 

I sure know what you mean about extra hours but hopefully things go perfect from now on! Glad things worked out perfect with the renter. Cant beat that luck. 

Well congrats tomorrow then if that's your official close date. We closed 2 weeks ago tomorrow, but I didnt get the congrats from title co until the next day. These remote closings must be all too common

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Very pretty women your family!! 

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Beautiful, beautiful girls you've got there, Bob. Every one of them in her unique beauty.

When it comes to Micheline, I outkicked my coverage (translation here Dani).  Fortunately, my daughters get their looks from their mother. 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Since I'm looking for anything to do other than prepare for our drive back to Ohio tomorrow, let me tell you about our day yesterday.  We almost got in a round of golf with our friends who live in Ponte Vedra Beach.  We've tried a couple of times to play with them but either weather or other reasons to cancel have gotten in our way.  We played the front nine in windy but otherwise fine weather.  Wind is good because it gives you an excuse for playing poor golf.

When we got to the 10th tee, the lightning siren went off, meaning that there is lightning in the area and you're supposed to take shelter immediately.  Since we were close, we went back to the clubhouse.  As soon as we got there, the skies opened up.  Torrential downpour.  We waited a bit and eventually the skies cleared and the lightning "all clear" signal was given, so we played the 10th hole.  The lightning siren went off again and we waited in a covered bathroom shelter area between 10 green and 11 tee.  Fortunately, we had enough supplies in the cart to keep us hydrated. 

Again, the rain stopped and the skies cleared up over us, but no all clear signal was given.  The skies north of us toward Georgia looked ominous but the skies south of us toward Jacksonville looked perfectly clear. We were right on the bottom edge a nasty storm.   With a little bit of vodka based courage/stupidity, we decided to keep playing and see if we could squeeze in a few more holes.  We reached our balls in the 11th fairway when we saw a lightning strike hit a couple of miles away.  The vodka courage disappeared immediately.  Time to pick up our balls and race back to the clubhouse as fast as possible.  Again, we got there just before another downpour happened.  Done for the day.

At least we were able to play some golf, hang out together a bit, and then enjoy a nice dinner.  Just a matter of time before we can actually play a full 18 holes together.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

_CM_4259.thumb.jpg.05241993471a70b9ddcc7630982fd084.jpg

_CM_4267.thumb.jpg.3f77525335fc11c6f0a1dfafa8f822d1.jpg

If you want to sit really close to the stage, you're sitting on the ground on pillows

_CM_4271.thumb.jpg.d659a06158897d0f1d350aeecd5a352a.jpg

We preferred sitting in real chairs a little further back, but still close (it's a small venue)

_CM_4278.thumb.jpg.8aa4213a09b1128271dc7ef956dfc493.jpg

_CM_4303.thumb.jpg.f68ab77dfd95abe70dc9d8f95a55959a.jpg

_CM_4313.thumb.jpg.da71bcb3f297ce8a0f82dddd3d8fe768.jpg

_CM_4314.thumb.jpg.2b610b7c849e788249194f6a3033082b.jpg

_CM_4335.thumb.jpg.13c5b8a135986ae9dd6a2cb75d748ab4.jpg

_CM_4338.thumb.jpg.50057b859db63dff9dede89fda978d5a.jpg

_CM_4353.thumb.jpg.e640e7f577d6e4e0e1fd941d40b5a7eb.jpg

_CM_4351.thumb.jpg.46942cf68e87fc1c2eb510bb70520889.jpg

_CM_4273.jpg

Great photos.

When we moved back to Fl,  my only requirement was that when we left Ct,  our house will be sold.  I saw too many houses close by that went for years, vacant and unsold. Lucky , we got am offer in 6 months and it was sold.

We called a realtor in Palm Beach Gardens, said we  wanted to rent a condo for one year, and he found us a place.  Of coarse, we had lived here before, for 23 years, so I knew exactly what I was getting into.  After 9 months, we started looking to buy, and ended up in our current home. 

Funny thing was, the folks who bought our Ct house, had a job change, the house came back on the market, and I think took about 3 years to sell.

And for the same price that they had  paid us.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

When I was in Jr. High (Middle School) girls were required to take home economics and boys had to take woodwork shop. How times changed!

I still have a hammer that I made in a shop class.I do not think that girls had to take home economics when I was in Jr.High.

My 12 year old grand daughter plays on her middle school basketball team and their soccer team.

My 17 year old grand daughter plays on her high school tennis and basketball teams.

When I was in HS I was the tallest student in the school.I had no interest in playing basketball.The coach wanted me on the team because of my height.I said no and he made gym classes very bad for me.

• Like 1

I took both....Home Ec. and Wood Shop.  I remember in Home Ec I made my mother a sewing/hamper bag and myself a skirt (never worn, the seams kept unraveling).  In Wood Shop I made her a chicken with spindles where she could keep spools of thread.  I did try to even out my chicken, so it was pretty skinny.

My junior high school had one period that was for home economics and shops.  We had a four quarter year, one quarter each of wood working, metal shop, sewing and cooking.  Cooking was done in pairs and I was stuck with a guy who liked to put extra ingredients in things, ie dish soap in the scrambled eggs, pepper in the snickerdoodles.  I made a pair of pants in sewing that I never wore as they were never finished.  In wood working, we weren't allowed to do as much as other classes got to do as the teacher had cut off a finger with a band saw the quarter before, so we had to nail together precut stuff.  Metal work was my favorite.  We made a candle sconce.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

@island ladyhow long do you let the roots get on pineapples before you transfer then to soil?  Here’s where ours is at.

79CA2773-7977-4DE0-9DB0-96892FF122B0.jpeg

I know you’re asking Pat, but I would let them grow a little longer. Also, pull off some of the lower leaves that have mold on them. You will see some very small roots squished up between the leaves at the base.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Put it in the soil now.  Actually waited too long.  I keep the Pineapple top in the bowl of water about 10 days, then transfer to fertilized soil in a pot.   That mold on the bottom may give you trouble with root rot.  

We have a dozen or more growing Pineapple plants outside right now, everyone of them has a tiny baby Pineapple popping up in the middle.  Not sure we will get back from Maine in time to harvest them.  Neighbor taking care of our house will score.  😉 

Funny how we do things so different and each have success. They are very forgiving. We have about 6 with small pineapples on them. They are so good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And we made nothing of any worth in that wood shop. You should see some of the amazing stuff our high school kids turn out in industrial arts these days.

I bet.  We made a dressy white lace hat in home eco.  The kind ladies wore with white gloves and pearls. Think of Lucy Ricardo. We were only 14. As if!

• Like 1

In Romania it was only wood work....😢

I kept breaking the sawing blades (??), until my parents declared that they are not buying me anymore... which led to me having a 5 note on wood work, whereas the other ones were 10. Second in my class, instead of first.

I survived.😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, island lady said:

Put it in the soil now.  Actually waited too long.  I keep the Pineapple top in the bowl of water about 10 days, then transfer to fertilized soil in a pot.   That mold on the bottom may give you trouble with root rot.  

We have a dozen or more growing Pineapple plants outside right now, everyone of them has a tiny baby Pineapple popping up in the middle.  Not sure we will get back from Maine in time to harvest them.  Neighbor taking care of our house will score.  😉 

I presume you need hot tropical weather to grow? Would it work in an unheated greenhouse in our temperate UK climate ?

I tried the avocado growing method you mentioned a few months ago but it didn't work for me 🙁