Now for something completely different

On 11/30/2023 at 7:06 PM, Mareblu said:

Time for your cab ndmerlot.  I’m enjoying that single malt we discussed😂

My younger daughter said she'd like a red wine for Christmas.  Are these red?  If not, any recommendations   My eldest daughter said she doesn't want any wine.  She said she just takes them as gifts when she has a meal with friends.

My achilles tendon hasn't healed properly, only 20% attached, so I now need a reconstruction. This means surgery and then 8-10 weeks of rest and rehab with a boot and crutches. The surgeon couldn’t do it until late February, so we have put it off until late march, so we only have to cancel one trip.

It is the Royal Princess cruise to Japan and our South Korea visit after it. Unfortunately, we will  miss cruising with quite a few friends on that cruise but all things considered it is better than missing 2 or more trips prior.

I am still hobbling around but without the boot, the foot and leg  is a bit sore and swells up with a bit of use but it is manageable. No running, or stairs and ladders, they will be out for some time yet.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

My achilles tendon hasn't healed properly, only 20% attached, so I now need a reconstruction. This means surgery and then 8-10 weeks of rest and rehab with a boot and crutches. The surgeon couldn’t do it until late February, so we have put it off until late march, so we only have to cancel one trip.

It is the Royal Princess cruise to Japan and our South Korea visit after it. Unfortunately, we will  miss cruising with quite a few friends on that cruise but all things considered it is better than missing 2 or more trips prior.

I am still hobbling around but without the boot, the foot and leg  is a bit sore and swells up with a bit of use but it is manageable. No running, or stairs and ladders, they will be out for some time yet.

What a shame you will miss the Royal Princess cruise Mic but your wellbeing has to come first. i hope you can manage the pain ok until your surgery which I assume will be quite major.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery.  Be well and good luck, in the mean time enjoy your upcoming cruises.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 6:38 PM, NSWP said:

Massive volumes  of rain and big winds down here on Far South Coast. 280 mm of rain in Batemans bay in past 24 hrs, horrendous, big seas too.

A normal half hour drive to Moruya to see Oncologist takes half hr. Today an hour, dodging trees down, flooding, new pot holes etc. no doubt some of you out there are copping it too.

Wow - we had heavy rain on Wednesday but has been only off and on rain since then. Friends down the coast have had much more than us. Hopefully will have dried off a bit by now.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:33 AM, MicCanberra said:

Aww, Mic. What a pain in the err um .............. Wishing you all the very best for a successful op and speedy recovery. And I hope in the meantime that your discomfort is manageable.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, lyndarra said:

I remember the old Newcastle Stadium. It  housed the events you mentioned however it used to be where Marketown is now. I only went there a couple of times for ice skating. JOK performed at the stadium.

https://hunterlivinghistories.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/1957-10-02-LittleRichard-RJordan.pdf

After discussion with some old people that were there (my parents 😁), they did see concerts with the likes of JO'K, Col Joye, Judy Stone etc at the Century Theatre in Broadmeadow. Newcastle Stadium was still around into the 60's, but was no longer the preferred venue - Civic Theatre for the biggest shows and the Century as the #2 venue through much of the 60's.

Little Patti wasn't at the said concert, but talked with my parents to be on Broadmeadow station, as the car from radio 2HD that was meant to pick her up for a beach "stomp" hadn't arrived.

• Like 1

In Brisbane we had one venue - Festival Hall.  It was used for everything from the Roller Derby to the Beatles.  I liked the seats on the side for viewing, rather than the flat floor.

Brisbane had a lot of little amateur theatres and I went to them all. We all loved Barry Otto before he went on to grander things interstate.   I gave my girls birthday parties at the Brisbane Arts Theatre and gave them sample bags at interval.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

In Brisbane we had one venue - Festival Hall.  It was used for everything from the Roller Derby to the Beatles.  I liked the seats on the side for viewing, rather than the flat floor.

Brisbane had a lot of little amateur theatres and I went to them all. We all loved Barry Otto before he went on to grander things interstate.   I gave my girls birthday parties at the Brisbane Arts Theatre and gave them sample bags at interval.  

Festival Towers apartment/hotel is now on the Festival Hall site. The reception area has lots of photos and memorabilia from the old days.

On 12/4/2023 at 1:55 AM, MMDown Under said:

The BAT is still going strong.

At the Gold Palm Theatre Awards last night:

Category 18
BEST VOCAL DIRECTOR IN A
COMMUNITY THEATRE MUSICAL or MUSICAL REVUE

Jayke T-Hunt / Emma Parkinson
Brisbane Arts Theatre
"25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE"

Not bad, they were competing against 48 other theatres.

21 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

The BAT is still going strong.

At the Gold Palm Theatre Awards last night:

Category 18
BEST VOCAL DIRECTOR IN A
COMMUNITY THEATRE MUSICAL or MUSICAL REVUE

Jayke T-Hunt / Emma Parkinson
Brisbane Arts Theatre
"25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE"

Not bad, they were competing against 48 other theatres.

I always check  that it is still going strong whenever I go past.  It was my favourite little theatre.  (We all wanted to marry Barry Otto.)

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I always check  that it is still going strong whenever I go past.  It was my favourite little theatre.  (We all wanted to marry Barry Otto.)

Yes, I've performed there. It's quaint.

As a note to international sport between our nations. Team Canada came away with victories in both matches of a friendly  series played here in British Columbia. The first match was played in front of a sold out crowd about 4 km. from my house; it was the penultimate game in international play for Christine Sinclair. Canada won by a score of 5, nil. In the other match played tonight in BC Place Stadium (re-named Christine Sinclair Place for this event) to a sold out crowd of 45,000, Canada won again with a score of 1, nil. Christine has been a legendary competitor for team Canada. Her career spanned 24 years with 331 matches played and a world record (men and women) of 190 goals scored. She will be missed as she retires from international play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/2/2023 at 6:33 AM, MicCanberra said:

That really sucks!

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

As a note to international sport between our nations. Team Canada came away with victories in both matches of a friendly  series played here in British Columbia. The first match was played in front of a sold out crowd about 4 km. from my house; it was the penultimate game in international play for Christine Sinclair. Canada won by a score of 5, nil. In the other match played tonight in BC Place Stadium (re-named Christine Sinclair Place for this event) to a sold out crowd of 45,000, Canada won again with a score of 1, nil. Christine has been a legendary competitor for team Canada. Her career spanned 24 years with 331 matches played and a world record (men and women) of 190 goals scored. She will be missed as she retires from international play.

Christine is a legend of the game.  Congratulations, Team Canada👏

• Thanks 1