Now for something completely different

21 hours ago, NSWP said:

The dog is a Gordon Setter. Well behaved.

That is a seriously nice looking dog Les, and a great name. We are looking forward to meeting our Niece's new pup Bailey tomorrow. She is the offspring of a German Shepherd and Belgian Shepherd, I think the father is an RCMP K9 officer.

• Like 2

Something different...Did you see on the news today, some character, allegedly a cruise ship entertainer, labelled 'Herman the German' fell off the stage on some cruise ship in Turkey, injured himself and medivacced to UK?   Anyone heard of 'Herman the German?  Apparently he is a cabaret type artiste from South Australia.

Edited by NSWP

41 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Something different...Did you see on the news today, some character, allegedly a cruise ship entertainer, labelled 'Herman the German' fell off the stage on some cruise ship in Turkey, injured himself and medivacced to UK?   Anyone heard of 'Herman the German?  Apparently he is a cabaret type artiste from South Australia.

Hans,  Matt Gilbertson.

He is a pretty well known cabaret performer from Adelaide.

I presume he was a guest performer on the cruise ship.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Seems to have ignored, for comparison, the number of cargo ships cruising the oceans of the world taking NZ produce to buyers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Must be from Hansdorf?

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

AKA Hans the Entertainer. He is seen a fair bit on morning TV, mostly Studio 10 of late.

He must be good enough to get bookings overseas. He is the same entertainer that they were charging $25 tickets to see on P&O's first cruise back. Those that saw him thought he was rather entertaining.

@Blackduck59

I've been checking out hotels in Vancouver and found they are real OTT expensive. I looked at some in Victoria and the prices appear more reasonable for early June next year.

Do you have any local knowledge on recommendations?

ATM moment we are looking at 3 nights before boarding New Amsterdam on 4/6.

Thanks in advance.

14 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Seems to have ignored, for comparison, the number of cargo ships cruising the oceans of the world taking NZ produce to buyers.

And then of course the cargo ships coming to NZ with cheap and inferior produce for the local market, seeing as all the best of what we produce is exported overseas 🙁

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

@Blackduck59

I've been checking out hotels in Vancouver and found they are real OTT expensive. I looked at some in Victoria and the prices appear more reasonable for early June next year.

Thanks in advance.

Vancouver has always been very expensive because of all the ships which leave Vancouver.  Good idea to get combined bus, ferry ticket  from Vancouver Airport direct to Victoria, for less expensive accommodation.  Lovely place to stay 3 nights.  

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Vancouver has always been very expensive because of all the ships which leave Vancouver.  Good idea to get combined bus, ferry ticket  from Vancouver Airport direct to Victoria, for less expensive accommodation.  Lovely place to stay 3 nights.  

Planning to get ferry from Seattle to Victoria.

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

@Blackduck59

Thanks in advance.

We stayed in a Howard Johnson (HOJO) Hotel near Granville Island Bridge, some years ago. 3 star but ok.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

We have travelled a lot on Vancouver Island, usually by hire car, but not from Seattle. That will be a lovely trip to Victoria from Seattle.  We have arrived direct from Australia via Vancouver International Airport, as well as flying to Victoria domestically.  

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Hey Lyndon,  the clipper is apparently a nice trip but we haven't done it ourselves. You may find a spare bed at some friendly Canadian's house, maybe even a tour guide. I don't really have a good recommendation for Vancouver accommodation. We rarely stay there so it's usually a special occasion and we splurge on one night at the Pan Pacific.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Lyndon,  the clipper is apparently a nice trip but we haven't done it ourselves. You may find a spare bed at some friendly Canadian's house, maybe even a tour guide. I don't really have a good recommendation for Vancouver accommodation. We rarely stay there so it's usually a special occasion and we splurge on one night at the Pan Pacific.

Thanks for the kind offer Lyle however there will be four of us and we will  most likely get a rental car.

• Like 1

We have stayed at Century Plaza a couple of times, and it was a reasonable price for the comfort of the room. This hotel has been popular over the years with Australian travel wholesalers, and often used for a night or two between and Alaskan cruise and a coach tour of the Rockies. We have also stayed at the Wall Center Sheraton across the road.

I can't really speak about ease of getting around, as we had the coach for the touristy stuff through the day. However, I do recall a short walk to the IGA, where there were plenty of ready made meals or the option of getting something to nuke in the hotel microwave. As a stepping stone stop between cruise ship and Rockies, they were both very comfortable.

Well after careful deliberation and seen a price drop, I just now booked and paid for the 9 day Coral cruise on 13 Sept. Cancelled my Westerdam one scheduled for Nov and got my refund in 4 days.

Got my insurance with 1 cover after a load of assessment questions.   

Got my cabin number, balcony - mid Forward Cat B2.

Now I have to sort out a glitch with medallion did it on web but ticked all boxes except personal info, still in blue lane.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Well after careful deliberation and seen a price drop, I just now booked and paid for the 9 day Coral cruise on 13 Sept. Cancelled my Westerdam one scheduled for Nov and got my refund in 4 days.

Now I have to sort out a glitch with medallion did it on web but ticked all boxes except personal info, still in blue lane.

Anything to get out of White Bay, and to get a medallion hanging from your neck 😉

If you need it, take some time out to read through the medallion threads. There is one long one from a month or two back when everyone was stumbling through it - should be helpful. lots here to help with any specifics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Anything to get out of White Bay, and to get a medallion hanging from your neck 😉

If you need it, take some time out to read through the medallion threads. There is one long one from a month or two back when everyone was stumbling through it - should be helpful. lots here to help with any specifics.

Thanks Geoff are you on board?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

That’s exciting news from Batehaven, Les.  Well done

• Like 2