Now for something completely different

Here is a basic fritter recipe: 

1 egg

1/2 cup.milk

2/3 cup plain flour

Salt and pepper

Whisk the egg and blend with the milk. Sift flour, salt and pepper into a bowl. Stir in the liquid to make a smooth batter.

This can be used for whitebait, sweet corn, or anything else you can think of. If using fresh sweetcorn blanch it for a minute or two before cutting off the cob. Frozen sweetcorn should be thawed.

Mix in enough batter into your chosen ingredient to bind it together. With sweetcorn you can get away with more batter than with whitebait.

Heat oil in a skillet until hot. Drop spoonfuls of mixture into oil and cook until golden, then turn and cook the other side.

Sweetcorn fritters go well with bacon, avocado or guacamole, a rich tomato chutney or relish, sour cream - not necessarily all at once though.

I was just reading with interest about the flight refund thread. I will add some comments as my own quest for airfare refunds moves forward. It will be interesting if what the agent at that center that likes flights said actually comes to fruition. I was told the fare was refundable with a $100.00 cancellation fee per person.

I've enjoyed whitebait fritters in NZ.  In Queensland, we enjoy banana fritters, as well as corn meat fritters.  We also have potato scallops, but I hadn't thought of them as fritters, because they are just fried in hot oil, like chips.

Apple fritters make a nice dessert, ie slices of apple dipped in batter and deep or shallow fried. Dust with icing sugar or cinnamon sugar and serve with cream or ice cream.

Stonefruit would also probably work.

I like to grill peaches, Start with them cut side down to get some grill marks, flip them over and put a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on the cut side leave them long enough for the skin to release. Peel the peach and serve with some good ice cream.

The frying pan will get hot for the fritters, it's a pretty high end grill. If I have to I can put the pan right on the burner baffles.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh yes, you can buy pineapple fritters.

Pineapple fritters were often available at the takeaways in Sydney, not so much these days. Now an old feed I liked was chicken maryland, crumbed chicken, crumbed pineapple and crumbed banana, retro. Rarely seen these days. anyone remember Cahills restaurants in Sydney cbd, they did a good one in the 1970’s.

Edited by NSWP

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Pineapple fritters were often available at the takeaways in Sydney, not so much these days. Now an old feed I liked was chicken maryland, crumbed chicken, crumbed pineapple and crumbed banana, retro. Rarely seen these days. anyone remember Cahills restaurants in Sydney cbd, they did a good one in the 1970’s.

No, I've never eaten crumbed pineapple nor crumbed banana.  

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I've enjoyed whitebait fritters in NZ.  In Queensland, we enjoy banana fritters, as well as corn meat fritters.  We also have potato scallops, but I hadn't thought of them as fritters, because they are just fried in hot oil, like chips.

But they have batter on them just like fritters do Marion.

Leigh

3 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

Do you call them potato fritters, potato cakes or potato scallops in VIC Leigh?

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Thanks, potato cakes down here at batemans bay, but in Sydney I knew them as potato scallops or potato scollops. strange that.

I thought they were potato scallops all over NSW. I found this link which you might find interesting Les -

https://lingroadshow.com/all-about-language/englishes-in-australia/vocabulary/mapping-words-around-australia/

Leigh

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

We regularly buy battered fish and a scallop.  We only say potato scallop to differentiate from seafood scallops, both sold from fish and chip shops.  I'll check whether they have batter next time, Leigh. 

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

One stall at the fritter festival had a slab of meat lettuce and tomato with fritters instead of bread, it looked interesting. I liked the look of the corn fritters. Another segment of the show had the manuka honey.

That sounds like an interesting festival, worth a visit.  I often have corn fritters when I eat out for breakfast.  NZ is famous for its Manuka honey.

I love coming across a local festival, when I'm travelling.  

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

Must be Nsw dish, very popular in the seventies, you must be too young.

I wish!  It is interesting the different foods and different names for things between the States.

Sometimes, it is just the town, e.g. Balmain Bugs vs Moreton Bay Bugs. Other times it is completely different, e.g. blue swimmers vs sand crabs.