Now for something completely different

On 8/15/2020 at 8:03 PM, NSWP said:

Thanks, potato cakes down here at batemans bay, but in Sydney I knew them as potato scallops or potato scollops. strange that.

My nearest fish and chippery made delicious butternut pumpkin scollops. That was a few years ago. It changed hands and the new owner went to frozen chips so I no longer go there. They also did cheese and garlic potato scollops.

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

Nice bit of kit. 2002?

I'm not sure but I think so. There are some very interesting wheels over there just now. Besides the 3-300 SL gull wings there are 4-300 SL roadsters, a couple of the mid to late 60s "Pagoda" SLs. There is even a 2000ish Bentley (nice car but really low end of what was in that shop)

41 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Adrian, the cruise ends in Sydney on the 28th of January 2022 and we will be there a couple of days. We will be booking accommodation as early as possible. I just now finished cancelling all the accommodation we had booked for the now cancelled trip. All that was around different places in Victoria, we will try to re-book most of the same places for the new adventure. The Sydney to Phillip Island part is where we need to find new places to stay. 

Both NSW and Victoria schools return on January 28th 2022, so you will probably find the traffic and towns will not be as busy as during the previous week Lyle.

Leigh

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

The islands were inhabited but the Maori, as they are now known, eliminated them. My information comes from a very large exhibition in the Te Papa museum in Wellington, which is definitely worth a visit and is worth more time than you can normally spend when on a cruise. 

I another google with if there were people before Maori and found what you guys were taking about 😁. It turns out the story is a historical myth not backed up by any evidence. No wonder I couldn't find it before, I was looking for anthropology not myths and legends😆. Museums aren't always accurate. When I visited the lighthouse at St Simons Island in America their museum had a display explaining how great it was to be a slave in St Simons😳

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I another google with if there were people before Maori and found what you guys were taking about 😁. It turns out the story is a historical myth not backed up by any evidence. No wonder I couldn't find it before, I was looking for anthropology not myths and legends😆. Museums aren't always accurate. When I visited the lighthouse at St Simons Island in America their museum had a display explaining how great it was to be a slave in St Simons😳

This myth BS has been thrown at me when I've passed on this information on another forum. It is fact and the rumour that it is myth is propagated by certain ethnic people who wish to show what barbarians white people are but everyone else, especially them, are pure as the driven snow.

Check Check Check everyone. The question was do the Maori people call their language "Maori" or something else. This was in reference to the narration in a language (not English) on the show Kai Safari which has English sub titles.

I really didn't think I would start an angry historical debate. I seem to recall stories of Polynesian "explorers" let's call them travelling in large canoes all over the Pacific. Perhaps they found the Islands that are now New Zealand uninhabited perhaps not, does anyone really know other than by verbal accounts? That have been told down through the generations of what we know as Maori people today. We all know how accurate such accounts are over the course of a few days let alone several centuries.

So do the Maori people speak Maori or do they call it something else?

Edited by Blackduck59

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Te reo ('the language'), is an Eastern Polynesian language spoken by the Māori people, the indigenous population of New Zealand.

But generally referred to as Maori.

Leigh

• Thanks 1

Well I cancelled all our booked accommodations for the 2021 trip. We will probably re-book most of them for the 2022 trip once the booking window is open. We may change the Melbourne and Sydney hotels with input from locals. I mentioned several times that we had booked Craigs Royal Hotel in Ballarat and no one said, "wow POSH" or Great Hotel or what an overpriced dump. A little input would be appreciated. Also we are not arriving by ship to Melbourne so close to the cruise ship terminal is not important. We are arriving in Sydney by ship however so close to the cruise ship terminal may be a consideration.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

This myth BS has been thrown at me when I've passed on this information on another forum. It is fact and the rumour that it is myth is propagated by certain ethnic people who wish to show what barbarians white people are but everyone else, especially them, are pure as the driven snow.

I wasn't looking to stir up anything but everything I read has stated there is no evidence of habitation before the Maori settlement. As long as there is no evidence I see no reason to consider stories as fact otherwise we may as well be adding dragons to the list of reptiles 😂. Anthropologicaly from archaeological evidence Maori must be the indigenous people of New Zealand regardless of your own personal feelings towards the Maori.

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I cancelled all our booked accommodations for the 2021 trip. We will probably re-book most of them for the 2022 trip once the booking window is open. 

That will probably depend on what is still operating by 2022😳. It wouldn't surprise me if some of these places disappear😔. I wouldn't get too attached to any accommodations a lot can change by 2022.

10 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I wasn't looking to stir up anything but everything I read has stated there is no evidence of habitation before the Maori settlement. As long as there is no evidence I see no reason to consider stories as fact otherwise we may as well be adding dragons to the list of reptiles 😂. Anthropologicaly from archaeological evidence Maori must be the indigenous people of New Zealand regardless of your own personal feelings towards the Maori.

Brief history of the people of NZ - Maori people came across the ocean from modern-day French Polynesia (possibly from Raiatea) in the 1200s. They had peaceful times in their history and later times of inter-tribal wars. In the 1500s a group of Polynesians probably from NZ, but maybe from Polynesia itself, settled on the Chatham Islands. They are called the Moriori. As a result of the inter-tribal wars in NZ, a large group of Maori decided to settle on the Chatham Islands that was the home of the peaceful Moriori. Large numbers of Moriori were slaughtered and women were taken as wives.

In the early and mid 2th century it was claimed that the Moriori lived on the NZ 'mainland' and that they were wiped out by Maori. That has been proven incorrect.

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I cancelled all our booked accommodations for the 2021 trip. We will probably re-book most of them for the 2022 trip once the booking window is open. We may change the Melbourne and Sydney hotels with input from locals. I mentioned several times that we had booked Craigs Royal Hotel in Ballarat and no one said, "wow POSH" or Great Hotel or what an overpriced dump. A little input would be appreciated. Also we are not arriving by ship to Melbourne so close to the cruise ship terminal is not important. We are arriving in Sydney by ship however so close to the cruise ship terminal may be a consideration.

Craigs Royal.

Posh. Beautiful. Upper price range for Ballarat, but worth it.

Just now, Docker123 said:

Craigs Royal.

Posh. Beautiful. Upper price range for Ballarat, but worth it.

Thanks Adrian, Just as I hoped. That was our "splurge" one night for the trip. We will be looking to re-book there in the new itinerary. It will be closer to the end of our adventure now as we will be flying out of Melbourne instead of Sydney. There are direct flights Melbourne to Auckland yes? We are still hoping to fly Air New Zealand direct Vancouver to Auckland and back.

54 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Check out the Marriott near Circular Quay Lyle.  100m from the overseas terminal. We stayed there last year pre Noordam to Honolulu. Wonderful hotel.  Just roll the bags down the hill and plenty of eatieries around to avoid expensive hotel food, i.e. 'City Extra' at the Quay, I like that place, they serve the Victoria Mixed Grill, Here it is, I have had it a couple of times. I always ask for pepper sauce or mushroom sauce on the side. Lubbly Jubbly.

Mixed-Grill-b-300x288.jpg

Edited by NSWP

56 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Then why does the Te Papa Museum, the place totally devoted to Maori and New Zealand, have such a great exhibition regarding this matter? Just because you read differently on the damned internet does not make it fact.

As for my feelings toward the Maori what you are implying is a serious mistake.

Edited by Russell21

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Cheers Les, the original Sydney hotel was Park Regis City Center

Like chalk and cheese Lyle, I have stayed in both. Go to Marriott website closer to your travel and check out any deals and/or join their loyalty club. I am just about in every hotel loyalty club going.  Like in a couple of weeks staying at Best Western Fairways Motel @ Pambula/Merimbula down south.  On Booking Com. Wotif etc, they wanted $170 a night.  Through their loyalty club I get it for $145 a night, that is my go, the $25 per night saved pays for my dinner at the golf club across the road.  Trust Uncle Les, I know I am not always right on here with my statements and opinions, but it pays to shop around re hotels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Then why does the Te Papa Museum, the place totally devoted to Maori and New Zealand, have such a great exhibition regarding this matter? Just because you read differently on the damned internet does not make it fact.

As I said museums make mistakes I have seen this first hand. Also are you sure you didn't misunderstand the exhibit? I went to a Mayan exhibit that has great displays of myths and legends. Maybe that was point of the display? Showcasing stories not historical facts. 

19 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

(With respect) what part of what I wrote do you feel in a serious mistake? I have been to Te Papa museum many times and even been privileged to be invited behind-the-scenes to where Maori cultures treasures are stored. (Very moving by the way)

What do you feel in what I wrote is different from what is on display in Te Papa?

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Brief history of the people of NZ - Maori people came across the ocean from modern-day French Polynesia (possibly from Raiatea) in the 1200s. 

Interestingly the guide I had on a Tahiti tour last year said that the Polynesians who actually went to NZ first then onto French Polynesia. 

I don't know if that has been definitively proved either way.

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Interestingly the guide I had on a Tahiti tour last year said that the Polynesians who actually went to NZ first then onto French Polynesia. 

I have never heard that claim before. Archaeological excavations indicate that people reached French Polynesia (as we know it today) 2,000 to 3,000 years ago. Similarly it is pretty clear that the first arrivals in NZ were in the 13th century.

19 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have never heard that claim before. Archaeological excavations indicate that people reached French Polynesia (as we know it today) 2,000 to 3,000 years ago. Similarly it is pretty clear that the first arrivals in NZ were in the 13th century.

It surprised me but I didn't know the timescales. 

37 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The oldest archaeological evidence in Marquesas 300AD. Tahiti Island they say 500AD. Tuamutus they found a marae about 1000AD. Mangareva they say about 10-1300 AD. It has to be remembered that migration waves were not linear. While there may have been inhabitants already in FP there could still have been early New Zealand inhabitants who decided to pack up and go to Tahiti🤗