Now for something completely different

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Gold class is pullman style ie bunks which convert into a sofa during the day.

So I guess it's platinum for us, I like the Queen sized bed and the bathroom. We had a sleeper on the night train from Brussels to Berlin, Guess who got the upper bunk?🥺

Edited by Blackduck59
typo

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

So I guess i't platinum for us, I like the Queen sized bed and the bathroom. We had a sleeper on the night train from Brussels to Berlin, Guess who got the upper bunk?🥺

Big bikkies Lyle, big bikkies.th.jpg.9ae487dd30d9cdd8d10da80783e8f596.jpgTry this Crown Lager on board,  drink as many as you like, all inclusive.

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Gold class is pullman style ie bunks which convert into a sofa during the day.

I know of an elderly couple in their 80s who bought gold class and the husband slept on the floor.  They thought platinum class was too expensive. 

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I know of an elderly couple in their 80s who bought gold class and the husband slept on the floor.  They thought platinum class was too expensive. 

Tight wads, I believe Great Southern Rail used to give pensioners a discount, but no longer as 90% of their customers are oldies.   They do have single cabins in Gold Class, but you don't have your own bathroom, down the end of the carriage, shared.  Maybe the old timers you mention booked a single cabin, well compartment should be the railway term I suppose.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Tight wads, I believe Great Southern Rail used to give pensioners a discount, but no longer.  They do have single cabins in Gold Class, but you don't have your own bathroom, down the end of the carriage, shared.  Maybe the old timers you mention booked a single cabin, well compartment should be the railway term I suppose.

No, they had bunks and were too old to get up on top bunk. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So I guess it's platinum for us, I like the Queen sized bed and the bathroom. We had a sleeper on the night train from Brussels to Berlin, Guess who got the upper bunk?🥺

I liked the upper bunks when I was younger and fitter but wouldn't like them now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

At the time of the show it was $4,500.00 (CAD) for platinum which is very nice, expensive but nice. Like I said after we retire, Maybe the train across and a cruise back🤔

A few years ago we looked at cruising to Perth and IP home, it was less $$$ to complete the cruise, another 17 days, and do the circumnavigation including South Island NZ.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

A few years ago we looked at cruising to Perth and IP home, it was less $$$ to complete the cruise, another 17 days, and do the circumnavigation including South Island NZ.

I'd heard that before.  I wonder why it is so expensive now?  Does the government own it?

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I'd heard that before.  I wonder why it is so expensive now?  Does the government own it?

Privately owned. From Mr Google.

"Journey Beyond Rail Expeditions, doing business as Journey Beyond, is an Australian interstate luxury train operator. Founded on 1 November 1997 as Great Southern Rail, it is currently owned by Quadrant Private Equity which acquired the business in 2016."

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

Privately owned. From Mr Google.

"Journey Beyond Rail Expeditions, doing business as Journey Beyond, is an Australian interstate luxury train operator. Founded on 1 November 1997 as Great Southern Rail, it is currently owned by Quadrant Private Equity which acquired the business in 2016."

Thanks.  That explains the reason.  It is not really priced for the Australian market.  It was not overly expensive when I went as a single.  I love train travel.  I used to travel on the Sunlander to Mackay in NQ annually.  

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder if the prices will drop if the Aussie borders open before the international ones do.

I am wondering how long they can last without being able to operate. The last paragraph looks like it was pinched from a Cruise company's policy when they sail different to what is expected. From their website.

"We can’t wait to welcome guests onboard The Ghan from 30 August 2020. We understand that you may have questions about how your journey may be impacted and what we’re doing to keep you safe. Please see more information regarding this and information about our rail journeys below.

The Indian Pacific is currently suspended due to Government enforced border restrictions, we will continue to monitor border restrictions in Western Australia and New South Wales. We hope that the Indian Pacific will be able to resume its transcontinental journey soon.

Great Southern is scheduled to commence its second season between Adelaide and Brisbane in December this year. We understand guests may be concerned about the Great Southern’s route through Victoria and New South Wales.  If Victoria and New South Wales, or parts of these states, continue to pose a danger to our guests, we will adapt either our route or our experiences to protect you.

Our team are currently working on alternative routes and experiences that will deliver an exceptional rail journey to the same high standard you’d expect from all our rail journeys."

Back in the day...

First time I went east, it was cheaper To go on the Indian Pacific than to fly. Even in a sleeper, not the sit ups. Those were the days of the very cosy TAA and Ansett duopoly.

Unfortunately, included a very uncomfortable overnight sit up from Adelaide and a Melbourne.

Great experience, but the Nullarbor Plain lives up to its name (Latin — no trees). I forget the Aboriginal name, but it means no water.

12 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Great experience, but the Nullarbor Plain lives up to its name (Latin — no trees). I forget the Aboriginal name, but it means no water.

Except for when we crossed it. We passed through a thunderstorm and for a few kms there was water everywhere.

102-0266_IMG.JPG

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Except for when we crossed it. We passed through a thunderstorm and for a few kms there was water everywhere.

102-0266_IMG.JPG

I had rain for part of a bus crossing many years ago, also in the centre, water flowing of the Rock, red mud that stuck to everything building up to a few inches thick in places.

45 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I forget the Aboriginal name, but it means no water.

Oondiri, ironically it is far from waterless there is so much of it underground, but you have to get special permission to dive the caves and most of it is unmapped