Now for something completely different

When I switched from 35 mm to digital I was a little skeptical. Then we went to Europe with the digital I was sold. I took 1400 images, some were crap so I deleted them. I had 2 Contax 35 mm bodies and 3 lenses it really was a heavy gadget bag. When I went digital I got a nice point and shoot that felt like my 35 mm i my hand. I chose the Panasonic Lumix because of the Leica lens. I have been looking at the Lumix FZ300, it has a very wide range of focal lengths and has a low F 2.8 aperture available throughout the 25-600 nominal lens range. It seems a very capable unit and not terribly expensive.

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I met Mr Gut one day.

He’s never been the same since.

Did you meat for a pie Adrian?  Like the Dog on the Tuckerbox cafe @ Gundagai or somewhere half way?

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I started off with a very basic Canon Powershot. The second one was a bit better. The third was a Canon SX500 which is often called a bridge camera - a compromose between a compact canera and a DSLR. It had an excellent zoom but I found the lack of a viewfinder was annoying in bright light when I couldn't see the screen properly. I now have an SX70, still a bridge camera but with viewfinder and an even better zoom, plus it connects to my phone via bluetooth so I can back up my photos easily.

I also use my phone camera quite a lot, especially in circumstances where I don't want to carry a heavy, bulky camera. Phone cameras are excellent these days although not as good for zooming in on a distant view.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I was quick to jump onto digital after getting to try it at photography course. The little window to preview your photo and being able to take so many photos I was hooked so a few days later I was at the electronics store and picked up an inexpensive Kodak (remember that company😂?). After that I upgraded to a Panasonic Lumix and for my third one I decided to go all out and get the Sony RX

7 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I also use my phone camera quite a lot, especially in circumstances where I don't want to carry a heavy, bulky camera. Phone cameras are excellent these days although not as good for zooming in on a distant view.

I have found phone cameras are generally good for low light shots. Last time I was at Vivid Festival I took all my photos on my phone. 

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

When I switched from 35 mm to digital I was a little skeptical. Then we went to Europe with the digital I was sold. I took 1400 images, some were crap so I deleted them. I had 2 Contax 35 mm bodies and 3 lenses it really was a heavy gadget bag. When I went digital I got a nice point and shoot that felt like my 35 mm i my hand. I chose the Panasonic Lumix because of the Leica lens. I have been looking at the Lumix FZ300, it has a very wide range of focal lengths and has a low F 2.8 aperture available throughout the 25-600 nominal lens range. It seems a very capable unit and not terribly expensive.

One big benefit of digital is you can feel free to shoot, a disadvantage is you can feel free to shoot but not pay attention to quality.

and yes they are a pretty nice lens.

I still tend to carry too much gear, but if I haven’t got it I know I will end up saying I wish I had it.

When I was young and traipsing around the world, I had a lovely Pentax 35mm. Still have bundles of slides I should convert to digital.

A couple of years back, I bought a Nikon D5600, and accumulated various lenses. Doing lots of birds flying, etc.

My neurosurgeon has told me I should photograph things that don’t move.  Much healthier for my spine.  In lockdown, been reading about the Fujifilm GFX 50R and the Hasselblad X1D II. Smaller medium formats for landscapes, seascapes, etc.

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I started off with a very basic Canon Powershot. The second one was a bit better. The third was a Canon SX500 which is often called a bridge camera - a compromose between a compact canera and a DSLR. It had an excellent zoom but I found the lack of a viewfinder was annoying in bright light when I couldn't see the screen properly. I now have an SX70, still a bridge camera but with viewfinder and an even better zoom, plus it connects to my phone via bluetooth so I can back up my photos easily.

I won’t buy it if it doesn’t have a viewfinder.

1 minute ago, Docker123 said:

When I was young and traipsing around the world, I had a lovely Pentax 35mm. Still have bundles of slides I should convert to digital.

A couple of years back, I bought a Nikon D5600, and accumulated various lenses. Doing lots of birds flying, etc.

My neurosurgeon has told me I should photograph things that don’t move.  Much healthier for my spine.  In lockdown, been reading about the Fujifilm GFX 50R and the Hasselblad X1D II. Smaller medium formats for landscapes, seascapes, etc.

That Blad is to die for, just m lotto numbers never seem to come out

18 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I met Mr Gut one day.

He’s never been the same since.

We were the only people who turned up for a meet and greet on QM2 On the Tassie route, before Uncle Les joined in Sydney.

We had a nice long chat. I even met the fabled Mrs Gut and Ms Gut. Poor souls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

We were the only people who turned up for a meet and greet on QM2 On the Tassie route, before Uncle Les joined in Sydney.

What a splendid M&G you had, table for 3?  Better than no M&G at all. The Poms are not into M&G's much, I found that out on Cunard and P&O UK. Too busy reading the Times and scoffing black pudding and kippers, washed down with Boddingtons.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

What a splendid M&G you head, table for 3?  Better than no M&G at all. The Poms are not into M&G's much, I found that out on Cunard and P&O UK. Too busy reading the Times and scoffing black pudding and kippers, washed down with Boddingtons.

No just a table for two

5 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Took a while to meet even then. Yep you and I were poor souls when them shemales wandered past.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

No just a table for two

But there was you and Mrs Gut and young Mr Docker, that makes 3.  You are not referring to a table for 2 @ dinner are you? Noooooooo, have table of 6 or 8, enjoy the conviviality and social interaction.

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But there was you and Mrs Gut and young Mr Docker, that makes 3.  You are not referring to a table for 2 @ dinner are you? Noooooooo, have table of 6 or 8, enjoy the conviviality and social interaction.

Mid-afternoon. The 2 of us in the Carinthia Lounge.

Mrs Gut and Ms Gut stopped by the table to exchange a few niceties. Then moved on. 

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Mrs Gut and Ms Gut stopped by the table to exchange a few niceties. Then moved on. 

And meeting the female Gut’s explains why Docker needed surgery.

34 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have found phone cameras are generally good for low light shots. Last time I was at Vivid Festival I took all my photos on my phone. 

Good for evening shots around cruise ships too. 😊

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

29 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Sort of mobile M&G, innovative.

Cameras    had an Olympus OM-1   from 1975  to 2010  started with slides then moved to prints

then finally took the plunge in 2010 to go to digital  with Olympus E-30  which is what i still use   favorite lense is an 9-18mm  

It we go before 1975 a kodak intermatic  and a canon 110 film....

I do tend to click away more freely than film  but till only took about 300-400 on a cruise

Cheers Don