Now for something completely different

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, mr walker said:

My experience also. Seems, they often work on the theory that giving you a more expensive vehicle should make you happier.

I remember in Spain we get to the counter and they tell us all their small cars are booked out but they will give us a larger car for the same price. We were feeling really grateful while driving through the tiny narrow medieval streets of Granada😱😂

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I remember in Spain we get to the counter and they tell us all their small cars are booked out but they will give us a larger car for the same price. We were feeling really grateful while driving through the tiny narrow medieval streets of Granada😱😂

Good thing we aren't driving in any Medieval towns on this trip😉.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

hopefully we can get together with Julie and Rolf @OzKiwiJJ because we will have missed them on our first stop in Sydney, because they will just be finishing their cruise (on the ship Mic & Rosie will be boarding). Now that we know where we are going in Oz, I guess we think of some things to do while we are in these places.

We cancelled that cruise and are now joining Mic & Rosie on the Diamond repositioning cruise so will be in Sydney during your first stop there. 

• Like 1

Just now, ilikeanswers said:

I wouldn't get too set on the model and make of the cars. A lot of the times they are just suggested similar or example types. I have rented a lot of cars in many countries including here in Oz and only twice did I get the exact make and model that was suggested. 

We ended up with a Mercedes C  class in Melbourne once. That was fun! 

• Like 1

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

We cancelled that cruise and are now joining Mic & Rosie on the Diamond repositioning cruise so will be in Sydney during your first stop there. 

Cool, hopefully we can sort out a get together. Where is Diamond Princess repositioning to?

I guess we will have to find something to do on the turn around day. They are going to make us get off and back on, Probably get lunch ashore because it will be a gong show on the ship.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Cool, hopefully we can sort out a get together. Where is Diamond Princess repositioning to?

I guess we will have to find something to do on the turn around day. They are going to make us get off and back on, Probably get lunch ashore because it will be a gong show on the ship.

Diamond is going up to Japan. We switched because we ended up with heaps of FCC from the world cruise itinerary change.

Yes, easier to have a nice lunch ashore on turnaround day.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Good thing we aren't driving in any Medieval towns on this trip😉.

There are a few places where the town isn't that old but the people are very medieval.:classic_laugh:

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Perhaps that means you will catch up for Brunch?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

If you go for the MG, get the larger model,  HS rather than ZS, a friend has just bought one.

We traded in our Ford Territory on an MG ZS and I can't speak highly enough of this little car.  Our Territory was a brilliant vehicle for us when we bought it travelling to Perth several times a month, driving interstate and just generally doing quite a few kms a year (+20 000).  In the 9 years we had it the only thing we ever replaced were tyres and a battery.  Fantastic!  However, she was getting long in the tooth and since buying our motorhome during the dreaded COVID years we were doing less than 2000 kms a year - time to trade.  The MG is basically a shopping trolley, it goes locally to the shops and back, to the Drs on occasion and that's about it.  The only time it will go further is when we travel overseas and leave it at the airport.  Still it was a magic price and with 7 years warranty and capped servicing, we're pretty damn happy.  Just sharing.....

• Like 1

It looks like we may or may not get the vehicle mentioned in the listing. I guess we will try for the best price from an agency we recognize. We may ask our TA for help with this. Trying to understand what size the vehicles listed are. Like I said I know the X Trail (Rogue here), the Rav4 and Kluger (Highlander here). The X Trail seems to be the most affordable. We haven't seen Mitsubishi among the marks listed on the sites we have visited.

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Perhaps that means you will catch up for Brunch?

Brunch? Is that going to be on our embarkation day? If so, yes, that's a great idea.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

It looks like we may or may not get the vehicle mentioned in the listing. I guess we will try for the best price from an agency we recognize. We may ask our TA for help with this. Trying to understand what size the vehicles listed are. Like I said I know the X Trail (Rogue here), the Rav4 and Kluger (Highlander here). The X Trail seems to be the most affordable. We haven't seen Mitsubishi among the marks listed on the sites we have visited.

Lyle, we are currently in the UK and for perhaps the first time ever, were given the car we ordered, which is a Toyota C-HR.  Mario says slightly smaller than the X Trail, but works well for us, and we have a lot of luggage, as we’re travelling for just over 2 months.  We paid $AUD4,000 approximately, for 20 days, but that amount contains a relocation component, because we collected the car in Edinburgh, and will return it tomorrow in Southampton.  We are boarding Cunard’s “Queen Anne” on Friday, which will be a unique experience because we’ll be aboard for her naming ceremony in Liverpool on 3 June.  Anyway, back to the car:  Mario wouldn’t consider a sedan either, as comfort is as important as economy he thinks.  We shopped around extensively online, and yes, prices certainly vary.  We settled on Hertz even though it was slightly more expensive than a couple of others, because reviews weren’t great for those.  We have a Hertz gold card and the service has always been reliable.  Had we found a more reasonably priced option with good reviews though, we would have chosen that.  So, after all that, it seems a major factor worldwide is the relocation component.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

slightly more expensive than a couple of others, because reviews weren’t great for those.  

I have become pretty ambivalent towards car rental reviews. I have taken a punt on a few companies with bad reviews and so far none of them turned out bad🤷‍♀️. I also found it sometimes depends on the website you are looking at as the same company can be highly rated on one website but terribly rated on another. So far my only awful experience I ever had was with a highly rated one 😂

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have become pretty ambivalent towards car rental reviews. I have taken a punt on a few companies with bad reviews and so far none of them turned out bad🤷‍♀️. I also found it sometimes depends on the website you are looking at as the same company can be highly rated on one website but terribly rated on another. So far my only awful experience I ever had was with a highly rated one 😂

We’re usually the same about reviews, but on occasions a familiar thread through the complaints can cause us to be cautious.  Conversely, we don’t automatically accept good reviews, either, but look for consistency.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have become pretty ambivalent towards car rental reviews.

I tend to think that people who were satisfied rarely write reviews.  Those who were either delighted or disgusted tend to be the ones who take the time to express their feelings and detail their experience.  This very much skews the review process. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2024 at 4:41 PM, MicCanberra said:

There are a few places where the town isn't that old but the people are very medieval.:classic_laugh:

Especially if still going to Airds of Lochinvar to shop for an Akubra.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

I tend to think that people who were satisfied rarely write reviews.  Those who were either delighted or disgusted tend to be the ones who take the time to express their feelings and detail their experience.  This very much skews the review process. 

Good point.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 9:25 AM, Bubbeh said:

We traded in our Ford Territory on an MG ZS and I can't speak highly enough of this little car.  Our Territory was a brilliant vehicle for us when we bought it travelling to Perth several times a month, driving interstate and just generally doing quite a few kms a year (+20 000).  In the 9 years we had it the only thing we ever replaced were tyres and a battery.  Fantastic!  However, she was getting long in the tooth and since buying our motorhome during the dreaded COVID years we were doing less than 2000 kms a year - time to trade.  The MG is basically a shopping trolley, it goes locally to the shops and back, to the Drs on occasion and that's about it.  The only time it will go further is when we travel overseas and leave it at the airport.  Still it was a magic price and with 7 years warranty and capped servicing, we're pretty damn happy.  Just sharing.....

I bought a MG 3 earlier this year, smaller than your ZS but suitable for the driving I do. We have had a few longish trips down the south west coast and it has driven very well. My previous car was also nine years old and we only had to replace the battery and tyres on it. It was still running really well but was manual and with a crook left shoulder I need to drive an auto. My husband traded in his ute, no need for it now and bought a Renault Clio, another small car. I am very happy with my MG3. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I bought a MG 3 earlier this year, smaller than your ZS but suitable for the driving I do. We have had a few longish trips down the south west coast and it has driven very well. My previous car was also nine years old and we only had to replace the battery and tyres on it. It was still running really well but was manual and with a crook left shoulder I need to drive an auto. My husband traded in his ute, no need for it now and bought a Renault Clio, another small car. I am very happy with my MG3. 

I didn't get my license until I was 27 and the driving instructor advised me to get an Automatic License.  Before Grumpy was grumpy, I asked his advice and he couldn't see a time when we would ever buy a manual car so I got my auto license in just a few lessons.  I've never driven a manual, or needed to.  

Just out of interest, what was your previous car?

I received my manual licence back in 1970. There weren't many automatics around back then. Other than family size cars while our children were growing up, I've always had a small car. My previous one was a Mitsubishi Mirage sedan which is slightly bigger than the hatchback version. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2024 at 12:52 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks @vada_9 for your suggestion from 3 years ago. In the same post you mentioned the Sorento to Queenscliff Ferry. We will be taking that voyage, it will be interesting to experience that service. Also the Cape Otway Road for Koalas

Wow, I don't remember this post - but glad you can use it. I am not a regular contributor but a regular reader. 

Don't underestimate the drive along The Great Ocean Rd - it always takes longer than you think and there are lots of interesting things to see even before you get to the Apostles.

It was in 2013 when we were last there - we were staying in cabins at Bimbi Park just off the Cape Rd - here are a couple of photos we took in the trees near there and one of the lighthouse.

Enjoy your time here down under.

Tom mar13-jun13 089.jpg

Tom mar13-jun13 227.jpg

Tom mar13-jun13 157.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I received my manual licence back in 1970. There weren't many automatics around back then. Other than family size cars while our children were growing up, I've always had a small car. My previous one was a Mitsubishi Mirage sedan which is slightly bigger than the hatchback version. 

When I have a choice, I always buy a manual. Have had a couple of used cars that were auto, but I always go back to manual when I buy new. Current car is a manual Mazda 3 and I'm very happy with it. In some ways manual cars deter thieves. I read a lot of news stories where low lives have tried to steal/hijack a car only to discover it was a manual and they had no idea how to drive it.😆

• Like 3

Thanks for the photos @vada_9 the Koalas are much more interesting than the lighthouse. We have lots of lighthouses here 😉. I agree we may not have given enough time for The Great Ocean Road, but we Made the considered  decision to spend time with several of the friends we have made over the years on CC. Hopefully we can still find interesting things along the way even with the truncated time line.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

When I have a choice, I always buy a manual. Have had a couple of used cars that were auto, but I always go back to manual when I buy new. Current car is a manual Mazda 3 and I'm very happy with it. In some ways manual cars deter thieves. I read a lot of news stories where low lives have tried to steal/hijack a car only to discover it was a manual and they had no idea how to drive it.😆

I have only made the change due to a bad shoulder although I understand that not too many manual cars will be made in the future. 

• Like 1