Now for something completely different

Good to hear your surgery went well Mic. Now you really have to resist the urge to be "Adventure Mic" until it heals properly this time 😇. I know it will be extremely hard for an active person like yourself; just keep saying to yourself "less strain no pain" until your physical therapist starts you on the rehab program.

Take care Mate, Lyle & Lynn

• Like 5

My son arrived home today from his SP cruise on RCI Ovation/

Enjoyed himself however there was COVID on board. He is ok ATM however the couple he went with have come down with it. He was to supposed to come home with them in their car but opted to take the train  instead. I picked him up from Cardiff station.

While driving to the station there was a news flash on the radio that an aircraft had crashed into Lake Macquarie. Tonight I learned it was a gyrocopter and it crashed right where I usually go winsurfing. It was, coincidently, the same one I saw on Saturday landing and taking off at Warners Bay.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-03/gyrocopter-crash-lake-macquarie-marmong-point/103662286

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

My son arrived home today from his SP cruise on RCI Ovation/

Enjoyed himself however there was COVID on board. He is ok ATM however the couple he went with have come down with it. He was to supposed to come home with them in their car but opted to take the train  instead. I picked him up from Cardiff station.

While driving to the station there was a news flash on the radio that an aircraft had crashed into Lake Macquarie. Tonight I learned it was a gyrocopter and it crashed right where I usually go winsurfing. It was, coincidently, the same one I saw on Saturday landing and taking off at Warners Bay.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-03/gyrocopter-crash-lake-macquarie-marmong-point/103662286

What an eventful day.  Firstly, hope your son escapes Covid, and glad to read (thanks for link) that the two passengers escaped injury.  Just as well you weren’t in the water.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of things going on in the Aussieflyer household - spending 'quality time' in ER with DH over Easter and last weekend but at least now has a referral to a proper cardiologist (sorry Canberra Hospital just doesn't cut it). DD has had surgery to remove a cyst on top of head (second time), had to change flights to SYD as DH won't be well enough for James Taylor (so I will need to to instead) and I have been trawling cruises for DS and I - booked  Singapore - Sydney for late next year and a short one in March. Hoping DH is well enough for Norway in early October. I am exhausted with all the work (and that doesn't include my paid work at DOHA)! So bad it was takeaway for dinner tonight.🤣

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Lots of things going on in the Aussieflyer household - spending 'quality time' in ER with DH over Easter and last weekend but at least now has a referral to a proper cardiologist (sorry Canberra Hospital just doesn't cut it). DD has had surgery to remove a cyst on top of head (second time), had to change flights to SYD as DH won't be well enough for James Taylor (so I will need to to instead) and I have been trawling cruises for DS and I - booked  Singapore - Sydney for late next year and a short one in March. Hoping DH is well enough for Norway in early October. I am exhausted with all the work (and that doesn't include my paid work at DOHA)! So bad it was takeaway for dinner tonight.🤣

It sounds like you need lots of these {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}.

Take care and look after yourself!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

Little wonder you’re exhausted.  Healing wishes to your family.  Our DD and DSIL also spend their days in DOHA.  We’re currently enjoying the Med with our Canberran friends on beautiful Oceania Vista.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Mic, thanks for asking. I have had a bit of enforced absence from here. Spring has sprung and all is abloom.

I had a bit of a spectacular fall last week and have had a few days of work. My ribs are sore but I hope to get back to work tomorrow.

I fell on Tuesday and didn't go to work since then. I already had Thursday and Friday booked off; Lynn's nephew came to be with us as we travelled to Vancouver to inter Granny's ashes as she had wanted. It was a sad reason for a good visit.

Lynn is still working through her grief, she is okay most of the time, but now and then she has a moment. As unfortunate as my fall was it has made it so I can be around for her a few extra days.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Mic, thanks for asking. I have had a bit of enforced absence from here. Spring has sprung and all is abloom.

I had a bit of a spectacular fall last week and have had a few days of work. My ribs are sore but I hope to get back to work tomorrow.

I fell on Tuesday and didn't go to work since then. I already had Thursday and Friday booked off; Lynn's nephew came to be with us as we travelled to Vancouver to inter Granny's ashes as she had wanted. It was a sad reason for a good visit.

Lynn is still working through her grief, she is okay most of the time, but now and then she has a moment. As unfortunate as my fall was it has made it so I can be around for her a few extra days.

Sorry to hear you had a fall Lyle and hope you are feeling better. I'm sure Lynn is appreciating you being around even if you do have sore ribs. I still have moments of grieving for my Mum, it is nearly two years since her death. It comes on unexpectedly and I shed a tear or two. I think it is all pretty normal to do so.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Sorry to hear you had a fall Lyle and hope you are feeling better. I'm sure Lynn is appreciating you being around even if you do have sore ribs. I still have moments of grieving for my Mum, it is nearly two years since her death. It comes on unexpectedly and I shed a tear or two. I think it is all pretty normal to do so.

Absolutely, Leigh. My son has been gone for six years and not a day goes by that I don't miss him dreadfully.

Hope you recover soon, Lyle. Please give Lynne my best.

CeeCee

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rob and I were given gift vouchers to the restaurant Meat & Wine Co so decided to have a night at Crown Promenade and use our gift vouchers for dinner which we did on Sunday night. The restaurant (at Southbank) is about a 400 metre walk from the hotel so it was perfect for us.

Dinner was amazing, we started with a small loaf of hot rye bread with butter and olive oil, we both had fillet steak with salad - I had chips and Rob had potato mash. Dessert was liquid - a Dom Pedro - vanilla bean ice cream blended with Baileys - so good. The steaks were cooked perfectly to our liking and overall, a wonderful meal. 

Yesterday morning we had a buffet breakfast which filled us to dinner. 

IMG_4343.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4345.jpeg

IMG_4346.jpeg

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about your fall, hope you recover fully.

Grief can be weird as it can hit you most unexpectedly and not necessarily when you think it might. Today would have been my mum's birthday, and yet it doesn't seem like a sad day (yet). That said a few weeks ago something I was watching triggered me.

All I can say is, grief is different for everyone and even about different people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So very sorry to learn of your accident, Lyle.  Falls, like moments of profound grief, happen suddenly and obviously when we least expect them.  Different effects for both of course, and  I’m sorry for your pain and discomfort, but relieved, as you and Lynn would patently be, that you didn’t suffer more severe injuries.  Healing wishes to you both, from us both.  Lynn’s grief will last longer;  I can tell she was very close to her mum.

Yesterday was a rather dramatic cruising day.  Our tour bus for our excursion to Aix-en-Provence suffered sudden engine failure on the highway, with the driver finally pulling to the side near a paddock, just as the bus filled with acrid smoke.  Tour Leader managed to get everyone off in an orderly manner and we were directed to quickly move away from the bus into the paddock.  To do this we had to straddle and swing over a concrete barrier.  One frailer gentleman chose to cross instead via the adjoining, lower metal road barrier.  He fell heavily and sustained deep gashes to his face and legs.  The edge was sharp.  We ended up being surrounded by two ambulances, a large fire truck and two police patrol cars, all with sirens blaring.  Finally, a replacement bus and driver arrived, and we continued our tour to beautiful Aix.

Fortunately, the injured passenger was back on board for sailaway, after treatment in  Vista’s medical centre.  He declined the offer of suturing at the Marseilles hospital, obviously because he wanted to ensure a timely return to our ship.

Oh dear Mareblu what a drama but glad that it came good in the end. Certainly an excursion to be remembered (though maybe for the wrong reasons). Glad that the injured passenger is back on board - he will be sore and sorry for a while but was very lucky he didn't hurt himself more seriously, 

I can imagine all the official vehicles attending. We once had a car accident in Devon when a motorbike rider ran into us at speed on a narrow road (Phil had seen him coming down the hill and had pulled off as far as possible and stopped). We ended up blocking the whole road and had police (including the senior officer of the area who was referred to as Ma'am), ambulance, air ambulance, fire brigade. Luckily we only had bruising and the bike rider did come off ok - how he wasn't killed I have no idea as the speed broke the bike into pieces.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Oh dear Mareblu what a drama but glad that it came good in the end. Certainly an excursion to be remembered (though maybe for the wrong reasons). Glad that the injured passenger is back on board - he will be sore and sorry for a while but was very lucky he didn't hurt himself more seriously, 

I can imagine all the official vehicles attending. We once had a car accident in Devon when a motorbike rider ran into us at speed on a narrow road (Phil had seen him coming down the hill and had pulled off as far as possible and stopped). We ended up blocking the whole road and had police (including the senior officer of the area who was referred to as Ma'am), ambulance, air ambulance, fire brigade. Luckily we only had bruising and the bike rider did come off ok - how he wasn't killed I have no idea as the speed broke the bike into pieces.

Oh goodness, Aussieflyer, that certainly trumps our drama.  Glad you weren’t more seriously injured, and yes, a miracle the motor cyclist survived.  We’ll be in Devon in a few weeks, after Scotland and Wales.  Devon will be a week’s stay.  I have ancestry, on my father’s side, from Devon and Cornwall.  Leigh’s Rob and I share ancestry a few centuries back.  Amazing who and what you discover on CC🥰

• Like 3

Glad all your incidents ended safely for you both.

I had an issue when I was younger that concerned Devon.

My son (3years old) really liked it but we couldn't get any in Adelaide as they call it Fritz there, unfortunately he wanted Devon not Fritz and couldn't be told.

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

My son (3years old) really liked it but we couldn't get any in Adelaide as they call it Fritz there, unfortunately he wanted Devon not Fritz and couldn't be told.

Couldn't get any Empire?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Probably in WW1 days, the move away from German sausage ended-up with it being called Empire around here. Some of the oldies still ask for Empire or Luncheon meat at Barb's deli, often with a bit of a sly grin when the young staff can't find any.

Take care everyone, and nurse those bumps & bruises.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Yesterday was a rather dramatic cruising day.  Our tour bus for our excursion to Aix-en-Provence suffered sudden engine failure on the highway, with the driver finally pulling to the side near a paddock, just as the bus filled with acrid smoke. 

Fortunately, the injured passenger was back on board for sailaway, after treatment in  Vista’s medical centre.  He declined the offer of suturing at the Marseilles hospital, obviously because he wanted to ensure a timely return to our ship.

10 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

Wow, you were all very fortunate with your respective accidents/incidents. The poor man who fell, I hope that his lacerations heal well. It just shows how easily a mishap can occur and how vital travel insurance is. 

Linda, enjoy your trip to Devon and Cornwall. 

• Like 2