Now for something completely different

4 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I’m sure Lynn’s prescription can be filled here.  We have in the past filled scripts in the UK, so I can’t see the difference.  I will enquire for hou with our local Pharmacy tomorrow (Monday).

She might have to see a local GP to get an insulin script filled here. If that's the case I suggest she gets a letter from her GP that she can give to a Sydney GP. 

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

She might have to see a local GP to get an insulin script filled here. If that's the case I suggest she gets a letter from her GP that she can give to a Sydney GP. 

Yes, Julie, that sounds sensible and reasonable.  I’ll  check with our local Pharmacist tomorrow morning.  She’s very switched on, and I’m sure will know the necessary steps.  I know our local GP would see Lynn too, if necessary, but as Lynn and Lyle are starting their journey in Sydney, they will need to know before they arrive, as you suggest.

19 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, Julie, that sounds sensible and reasonable.  I’ll  check with our local Pharmacist tomorrow morning.  She’s very switched on, and I’m sure will know the necessary steps.  I know our local GP would see Lynn too, if necessary, but as Lynn and Lyle are starting their journey in Sydney, they will need to know before they arrive, as you suggest.

I'll be seeing my GP on Wednesday. I'll ask him.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So we are now working out the logistics for Lynn's Insulin. A 9 week supply is difficult to travel with being it has to be kept cold. I am thinking it would be prudent to buy more in Australia or New Zealand. Unfortunately we are concerned about getting a valid prescription to use down there. We will of course have copies of all our prescriptions but of course they will likely not be valid outside of Canada. Any suggestions are welcome.

Insulin cannot be obtained without a prescription in Australia. You can access a GP to get an Australian prescription, though you will have to pay for the visit, not sure if your travel insurance will cover it so that would be something to check in your terms and conditions. Here is some information from the Department Of Health:

Travelling to or from Australia with medicines and medical devices

And here is information from Diabetes Australia that might be useful:

Visiting or Moving to Australia

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your excellent help with the insulin situation. Obviously this is a priority. Now the question is, if we were to see Linda's GP in Canberra to get the prescription, fully aware that we will have to pay for that visit. Would we be able to use that prescription in Melbourne? That way we can get enough to do the rest of the trip and we will have room for it in the insulin coolers until we get to the fridge at the hotel.

Posting here instead of writing to Lyle and Lynn, because we've all been following and commenting.  Just spoke to Veronica, our knowledgeable and efficient Pharmacist.  She confirms that Lynn will need a prescription issued here for insulin obtained here.  A word of caution is that it will not be inexpensive, because as she is not an Australian citizen, the insulin will not be subsidised.  She suggests that for economical reasons, bringing your own supply would be advantageous.  I'll write to you separately, Lyle, with info on seeing our GP here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

A word of caution is that it will not be inexpensive, because as she is not an Australian citizen, the insulin will not be subsidised.  

Any chance there is travel insurance that can cover the cost? A pity Australia doesn't have reciprocal health care agreement with Canada. 

Thanks Mic, we have ordered a similar device and it should be here in the next couple of days. If it works well we may get another one. the problem is I think for the 9 weeks she needs about 19 pens. We will have to have a fairly large carry on just for the meds. We should be able to plug the coolers in on the plane as well as have the one cold pack type cooler she already has that holds six pens. We can keep the electric ones plugged in while we are on the road trip either in the car or wherever we are staying. Thanks everyone for all your help, although we will probably get an Australian prescription just to have, in case something bad happens to the meds.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Mic, we have ordered a similar device and it should be here in the next couple of days. If it works well we may get another one. the problem is I think for the 9 weeks she needs about 19 pens. We will have to have a fairly large carry on just for the meds. We should be able to plug the coolers in on the plane as well as have the one cold pack type cooler she already has that holds six pens. We can keep the electric ones plugged in while we are on the road trip either in the car or wherever we are staying. Thanks everyone for all your help, although we will probably get an Australian prescription just to have, in case something bad happens to the meds.

Good work, I was going to suggest you could order one ( or I could) and have it delivered here in Australia, I could then deliver it to you when we meet up. Although you still have your flight to Auckland once here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Good work, I was going to suggest you could order one ( or I could) and have it delivered here in Australia, I could then deliver it to you when we meet up.

Thanks Mic, it will be interesting to see how many pens fit. if it works we will get another one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Mic, it will be interesting to see how many pens fit. if it works we will get another one.

I suppose you plenty of time to sort it out and it wouldn't just be used on this trip.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2024 at 9:09 PM, MicCanberra said:

Apparently the gate at the Egyptian  hotel is sound activated, as you approach you just need to Toot and Come in.

Groan:classic_biggrin:

Keep that up, and you will score a gig as a Princess comedian.

I'm afraid it is a rather sad day in the Lyle & Lynn Duck house. We have been aware that Lynn's mom's health has been failing for some time. When we visited yesterday, I definitely had the feeling that she was saying Goodbye to me. Lynn got a call this morning and went in right away, they spent some special time together and Lynn came home. We got a call in the afternoon that she was on her way. We went and sat with her until she passed at just after 5:00 pm. It is very sad but not unexpected, she was 91 years old and until about 10 months ago was quite robust and living in a nice assisted living facility. Then she had a fall and never recovered from that. She moved to a different level of care and it was down hill from there.

21 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm afraid it is a rather sad day in the Lyle & Lynn Duck house. We have been aware that Lynn's mom's health has been failing for some time. When we visited yesterday, I definitely had the feeling that she was saying Goodbye to me. Lynn got a call this morning and went in right away, they spent some special time together and Lynn came home. We got a call in the afternoon that she was on her way. We went and sat with her until she passed at just after 5:00 pm. It is very sad but not unexpected, she was 91 years old and until about 10 months ago was quite robust and living in a nice assisted living facility. Then she had a fall and never recovered from that. She moved to a different level of care and it was down hill from there.

Sincere condolences at the passing of Lynn's mother.  May you be comforted at this sad time, by memories of happy times spent together.  It is a relief that Lynn's mother didn't pass during your big trip Down Under.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear. Please pass on my condolences to Lynn.

I received an email from a mate of mine this morning to say his wife passed yesterday from myeloma and my friend Tony, who was with me in Canada, messaged me that her aunt in Queensland died, would have been 102 next month.

I'm  due for my annual (March) blood test for myeloma.

Our condolences for you and Lynn, even when expected, it can still come as a shock when it actually happens. I am sure the whole community here wish you and Lynn well during this time of grief.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hi Lyle.

So sorry to hear about Lynn's mom..hugs and thoughts to both of you.  May memories of mom put a smile on your heart at this time.

I was answering your question about insulin...

.I used Frio Cooling  Wallets for my insulin for my trip to Australia four years ago.. It was a 32 hour trip from my house to Sydney hotel.  The large wallet holds 4/6 pens and the xl holds 8 pens. Very easy to use.  Also you can ask the stewardess to put in refrig but not necessary .  They are "reactivated" by putting in cold water in sink, for 10 minutes, travelling from place to place is no problem. For extra protection in very hot weather you can put them in an insulated lunch bag in the inner pouch. You can get them for best price on Amazon.  I purchased one in every size for length of trips.  Hope  this helps.  

Caio..Chris

Edited by BRANDEE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BRANDEE said:

Hi Lyle..I used Frio Cooling  Wallets for my insulin for my trip to Australia four years ago.. It was a 32 hour trip from my house to Sydney hotel.  The large wallet holds 4/6 pens and the xl holds 8 pens. Very easy to use.  Also you can ask the stewardess to put in refrig but not necessary .  They are "reactivated" by putting in cold water in sink, for 10 minutes, travelling from place to place is no problem. For extra protection in very hot weather you can put them in an insulated lunch bag in the inner pouch. You can get them for best price on Amazon.  I purchased one in every size for length of trips.  Hope  this helps.  

Caio..Chris

Thanks Chris, we will have a look at that option as well

• Like 1