Now for something completely different

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

I am glad they have locked the thread. I am concerned that nobody has addressed the topic of what to do when you are on a relocation cruise between a clockwise country and an anti country.

Equator crossing day would be an absolute nightmare!!

😂

Screenshot_20240307_230731_Firefox.jpg.21e4210af536210b759a77463d1c588d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hi all, well after a hectic few weeks, I moved into my new digs last Thursday. Got NBN connected yesterday. All good so far. Ample room for Uncle Les and nice people thus far in other units/villas.

It was 40C when I moved last Thursday, nightmare but did it.  I think I need a cruise !!

Time for happy hour with my new neighbours.

Lyle, sorry to hear about Lyn's Mum.th.jpg.ec7de9a1297e93895033bdaf904f7884.jpg

Good to hear from you mate.

Bit of a lifestyle change, I'm sure you will settle in well & enjoy yourself in the new surroundings.

Hope to be down your way later in the year & hope to catch up then

Cheers Neil & Tracey

• Like 2

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

I am glad they have locked the thread. I am concerned that nobody has addressed the topic of what to do when you are on a relocation cruise between a clockwise country and an anti country.

Equator crossing day would be an absolute nightmare!!

Oddly enough people manage quite well on Princess. The Promenade deck on the Grand class ships doesn't go right around the ship. To get across the bow you have to go up an uncovered stairway then down another on the other side. A lot of people, including me after I slipped and nearly fell going down, just turn around on the Promenade deck and go back the other way. I've never seen any issues with that  at least in our region. Maybe Aus/NZ Princess cruisers are more flexible and polite.🤔😄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We're currently in Melbourne for a few days. Our eldest GD is doing a commercial cooking course at the William Angliss school. Part of their course includes running the kitchen at the Angliss Restaurant and yesterday was their first day. We went there for lunch and had an amazing meal. As good as any you'd get in a top rated restaurant at a fraction of the price. So for those of you who live in Melbourne, or are stopping there on a cruise, I recommend the Angliss Restaurant for great food, plus you'll be supporting these budding chefs in their efforts. The restaurant is in Little Lonsdale St just up from Southern Cross Station.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oddly enough people manage quite well on Princess. The Promenade deck on the Grand class ships doesn't go right around the ship. To get across the bow you have to go up an uncovered stairway then down another on the other side. A lot of people, including me after I slipped and nearly fell going down, just turn around on the Promenade deck and go back the other way. I've never seen any issues with that  at least in our region. Maybe Aus/NZ Princess cruisers are more flexible and polite.🤔😄

Previously some Princess ships would have a directional arrow on the wall on the Promenade deck. I usually walk anticlockwise and have been told I am going the wrong way.

1 minute ago, valantine80 said:

Previously some Princess ships would have a directional arrow on the wall on the Promenade deck. I usually walk anticlockwise and have been told I am going the wrong way.

Depends who's telling you😉.   I would always walk anti-clockwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

Yes, I recall seeing that on Sea Princess. The problem was it was only outside one set of doors so if you came out the other side it was easy to turn the wrong way to walk.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

On cruise ships it is always a dilemma of clockwise or anti clockwise (even counterclockwise) & walk on left or right. Perhaps they are inter-related?

I often think that I’m glad I’m on a ship & not on a road😁

And don’t get me started on shopping trolleys in supermarkets 😳

Edited by mr walker
Pressed button too soon
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mr walker said:

On cruise ships it is always a dilemma of clockwise or anti clockwise (even counterclockwise) & walk on left or right. Perhaps they are inter-related?

I often think that I’m glad I’m on a ship & not on a road 😳

Cruise ships travel on the wrong side of the water too, and it is a global thing. Keep to the right (starboard) of oncoming traffic. You may notice, ships normally keep to the right of Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour in either direction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arxcards said:

Cruise ships travel on the wrong side of the water too, and it is a global thing. Keep to the right (starboard) of oncoming traffic. You may notice, ships normally keep to the right of Fort Denison in Sydney Harbour in either direction.

Good point.  Oh oh, we’re beginning to sound like the HAL thread😂

i just posted a comment on the “How to Pronounce ‘Cunard’ thread”.  That’s a corker.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arxcards said:

But port and starboard buoys marking the entrance to harbours are not global. Here it's red (port buoy) to the left and green (starboard buoy) to the right when entering a harbour. In the US it's the opposite, known as "Red Right Returning". 

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But port and starboard buoys marking the entrance to harbours are not global. Here it's red (port buoy) to the left and green (starboard buoy) to the right when entering a harbour. In the US it's the opposite, known as "Red Right Returning". 

Well that's confusing! I wonder if they ever get stand-offs and the maritime equivalent of road rage 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Well that's confusing! I wonder if they ever get stand-offs and the maritime equivalent of road rage 🤣

Anyone who sails to and from multiple international ports would know but people who go on holiday then hire a small boat could run into strife. I think the other marine markers are the same regardless of where you are in the would, it's just the channel markers.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Anyone who sails to and from multiple international ports would know but people who go on holiday then hire a small boat could run into strife. I think the other marine markers are the same regardless of where you are in the would, it's just the channel markers.

Mario confirms that.  He has a boat licence.  Batemans Bay, with its channel sandbars, is always a bit tricky, because the markers move over time.

IMO, the Promenade is for ambling and walking only. Serious walkers or power walkers and definitely joggers should be up on the track which is specifically designed for exercise.

• Like 7

G'Day everyone, I'm out of purgatory.

First I have to thank everyone for your kind words of condolence for Lynn and I on the passing of her mother. She has been very touched by your kindness and asked me to pass on her thanks.

I also want to thank everyone for your support in regards to my recent absence from CC. 

While the promenade thread was at times quite entertaining, and some posts (including one of mine) were deleted, the reply from the OP and a rather blunt point by point take down of the OP's reply to my post was what got the thread locked and apparently deleted.

My comment that got me in trouble was on a different thread, simply pointing out that the OP had opened yet another thread on a subject that was recently discussed thoroughly on 2 other threads one that the OP had started. The strange thing is that my post was up for some time and had at least 5 likes and a thankyou on it. It would seem some members over on the HAL boards who are somehow sacred. I MUST remember to not take them off of ignore to read ANY of their posts. They are painful to read.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

G'Day everyone, I'm out of purgatory.

First I have to thank everyone for your kind words of condolence for Lynn and I on the passing of her mother. She has been very touched by your kindness and asked me to pass on her thanks.

I also want to thank everyone for your support in regards to my recent absence from CC. 

While the promenade thread was at times quite entertaining, and some posts (including one of mine) were deleted, the reply from the OP and a rather blunt point by point take down of the OP's reply to my post was what got the thread locked and apparently deleted.

My comment that got me in trouble was on a different thread, simply pointing out that the OP had opened yet another thread on a subject that was recently discussed thoroughly on 2 other threads one that the OP had started. The strange thing is that my post was up for some time and had at least 5 likes and a thankyou on it. It would seem some members over on the HAL boards who are somehow sacred. I MUST remember to not take them off of ignore to read ANY of their posts. They are painful to read.

Welcome back. 

Even when in the right, a post explaining why something has disappeared can be seen to be commenting on a moderation decision and outside the rules. It is likely that it wasn't even your post that was being reported but was spotted in a wider net.

For next time, this might come in handy:

Picture1.png.519f5dfb67a1790fcda8523b50917d0d.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Welcome back Lyle.

I'm up early this morning. Went to bed early last night sore and dog tired and woke up still sore - all over. Reason? I had a fantastic Sunday afternoon foiling on the lake. With an often gusty 15-18 knot ENE blowing it was almost perfect for my foil board hitting almost 20 knots at times,  but, unfortunately, a couple of the gusts got the better of me and I got slammed, hard, and now my 75 year old body is paying for it. Any how, I left the water grinning from ear to ear knowing I'd had a great time and I'm still alive.

Up until a week ago I had been suffering the effects of a recurrence of rhuematoid arthritis which was settled with a 5 day course of prednisone until I get another appointment with my rhuematologist.

Edited by lyndarra
repetition
  • Like 1

For those not familiar with foil sailing here is a short vid of the basics.

Generally, most of the time, I am moving at about the same speed as a cruise ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

For those not familiar with foil sailing here is a short vid of the basics.

Generally, most of the time, I am moving at about the same speed as a cruise ship.

Thanks.  I was about to ask you what foil sailing was.  Then I realised I often watch these on the Broadwater at the Gold Coast.  

• Like 1

Welcome back to your own thread, Lyle.  The past few weeks have been so challenging for you and Lynn.  I hope you can find some serenity in your lives now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I MUST remember to not take them off of ignore to read ANY of their posts. They are painful to read.

Just a word of warning but even with ignore if someone quotes the comment of someone you ignored you will see it displayed in the quote box. Unfortunately one of the downsides of a linear forum format is the ignore button can give you a bit of cheddar cheese effect in threads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Just a word of warning but even with ignore if someone quotes the comment of someone you ignored you will see it displayed in the quote box. Unfortunately one of the downsides of a linear forum format is the ignore button can give you a bit of cheddar cheese effect in threads. 

I am aware of that, fortunately the individual is rarely quoted, but there are often 3 or 4 "you've chosen to ignore this poster" with options to "show this post". I really have to stay away from that button.

• Like 1