People Still Booking Cruises

tap_out

9 hours ago, NightOne said:

Your opinion on "there is a very good chance that many Cruise lines will not make it through this without going into bankruptcy" is based on what? a gut feeling? or some sort of facts that you would like to share?

Have you been looking at the news.  The world has been basically shut down for a month.  I don't think it is a long shot bet that one or more of the Cruise lines are not going to go bankrupt.  Feel free to book yourself a cheap cruise.  No one is stopping you.

9 hours ago, NightOne said:

Your opinion on "there is a very good chance that many Cruise lines will not make it through this without going into bankruptcy" is based on what? a gut feeling? or some sort of facts that you would like to share?

Not skridge here,  but even though I can't wait to cruise again, I agree with them that you have to at least entertain the possibility of bankruptcy across all the lines if they can't get going soon - look at what Carnival lists as "liquidity requirements" on the SEC filing:

"We estimate our liquidity requirements, which include our ongoing ship and administrative operating costs, cash refunds of customer deposits, debt maturities and interest, expected capital improvements, and new ship growth capital not addressed by committed export credit facilities, to be approximately, on average, $1.0 billion per month".

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/815097/000095014220000946/eh2000552_ex9901.htm

$1 BILLION per month, ugh. It makes me very sad that all the cruise lines are having to face these financial problems when everything was going so great industry-wise.

Hopefully the Saudis and the bond sale keeps them safe. Hang in there guys! Cruisers are very loyal and ready to get onboard ASAP.

1 minute ago, SeaHunt said:

Not skridge here,  but even though I can't wait to cruise again, I agree with them that you have to at least entertain the possibility of bankruptcy across all the lines if they can't get going soon - look at what Carnival lists as "liquidity requirements" on the SEC filing:

"We estimate our liquidity requirements, which include our ongoing ship and administrative operating costs, cash refunds of customer deposits, debt maturities and interest, expected capital improvements, and new ship growth capital not addressed by committed export credit facilities, to be approximately, on average, $1.0 billion per month".

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/815097/000095014220000946/eh2000552_ex9901.htm

$1 BILLION per month, ugh. It makes me very sad that all the cruise lines are having to face these financial problems when everything was going so great industry-wise.

Hopefully the Saudis and the bond sale keeps them safe. Hang in there guys! Cruisers are very loyal and ready to get onboard ASAP.

I very much hope all of the lines come out of this thing unscathed.  

I very much hope all of the lines come out of this thing unscathed.  

Sadly, regardless of when cruises sail again, none of them will come out unscathed. All of the major cruise lines have taken on massive debt that will have to be serviced over the coming years. At a minimum, I expect many refurbishments and new ships to be postponed or canceled when contractually possible.

If cruises do not sail for the rest of the year, I expect at least one of the major lines to have to file bankruptcy. Even if they begin sailing in July, the real impact will not be known for several years. It may be 3-4+ years to get annual passenger counts back to 2019 levels while trying pay huge debt payments.
  • Like 2

According to some statistics I saw on the internet, the total sum of booked cruises comes to a total of 10 billion dollars world wide. The data was taken from 21-22 bookings taken from various major cruising companies. People are waiting to start cruising. They are not going to start cruising this year, but they will definetly do so next year and the demand will be super high. I forecast that the majority of those cruisers will be overbooked 

13 hours ago, tap_out said:

I will say this though, I am desperate to cruise again but.........I dont want my cruise experience to be completely different then what I am use to. I understand things need to change for the safety of us all. But I dont want to cruise if were all wearing mask, bars cant operate because we have to be 6 feet apart, no entertainment. 

It is extremely hard to imagine social distancing on a cruise ship. How will that work in for instance the dining room or the theater?

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It is extremely hard to imagine social distancing on a cruise ship. How will that work in for instance the dining room or the theater?

If social distancing were to stay for the foreseeable future, it would make things cumbersome but certainly not unattainable.  I would not see the MDR as an issue, the main theater more of one.  The two things that come to mind for me is embarkation and muster drill.  But again, they can be mitigated.  

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

If social distancing were to stay for the foreseeable future, it would make things cumbersome but certainly not unattainable.  I would not see the MDR as an issue, the main theater more of one.  The two things that come to mind for me is embarkation and muster drill.  But again, they can be mitigated.  

I'd like to hear how you would make social distancing work for the muster drill. Whenever some poster has advocated making the muster drill less crowded or stressful, someone, I think Cheng but I am not sure, has posted the regulations involved and said it can't be done.

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

They are not going to start cruising this year, but they will definetly do so next year and the demand will be super high. I forecast that the majority of those cruisers will be overbooked 

Do you have a link? 

I would think carnival is trying limited capacity as they state. You say carnival is lying?

No one knows...what you state as fact is guesses. My ta thinks we might start cruising later this year. But no one knows. December is a long way off. 

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

According to some statistics I saw on the internet, the total sum of booked cruises comes to a total of 10 billion dollars world wide. The data was taken from 21-22 bookings taken from various major cruising companies. People are waiting to start cruising. They are not going to start cruising this year, but they will definetly do so next year and the demand will be super high. I forecast that the majority of those cruisers will be overbooked 

You're assuming that everyone that pre booked cruises before the pandemic will still want and/or can cruise. That's definitely a wrong assumption. remember you have tens of millions of people that are unemployed at the moment. Those 10 of millions definitely accounts for some of those pre booked cruises. You think they're going to still want to go on a cruise? I don't think so. Just yesterday the CEO of Delta Airlines said business won't be back to pre Covid business levels until 2-3 YEARS!!!!   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I'd like to hear how you would make social distancing work for the muster drill. Whenever some poster has advocated making the muster drill less crowded or stressful, someone, I think Cheng but I am not sure, has posted the regulations involved and said it can't be done.

It would be tough

23 hours ago, tap_out said:

I will say this though, I am desperate to cruise again but.........I dont want my cruise experience to be completely different then what I am use to. I understand things need to change for the safety of us all. But I dont want to cruise if were all wearing mask, bars cant operate because we have to be 6 feet apart, no entertainment. 

I might feel the same way eventually, but at this point all I want is to be on the water and eating food that I didn’t have to cook and clean up after.  The rest can return gradually, as far as I am concerned.  

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Reading these boards just makes me want to book tbh. Tempted, very tempted to book.

I did it (Aug 15th) and also tempted to add another one in October. So cheap, certainly worth the risk to me. 🙂

21 minutes ago, glrounds said:

I did it (Aug 15th) and also tempted to add another one in October. So cheap, certainly worth the risk to me. 🙂

I got june 28th, port hole cabin for 6 days on freedom. I'd have preferred 7 days but 6 is good. Total of 433 I think, solo. Couldnt resist the price. Seems like one cabin at each lower price, odd. 

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

And elevators ... ugh

1 hour ago, glrounds said:

I just booked a spa cabin on the Panorama for Aug 1st lol. You’re right, too cheap and worth the risk. I believe you were on our Jan 25th Panorama Cruise 😁

Edited by Szoyka

2 hours ago, Szoyka said:

I just booked a spa cabin on the Panorama for Aug 1st lol. You’re right, too cheap and worth the risk. I believe you were on our Jan 25th Panorama Cruise 😁

Close. Missed it by a week, Jan 18th. 😊

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I got june 28th, port hole cabin for 6 days on freedom. I'd have preferred 7 days but 6 is good. Total of 433 I think, solo. Couldnt resist the price. Seems like one cabin at each lower price, odd. 

Score !

12 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You're assuming that everyone that pre booked cruises before the pandemic will still want and/or can cruise. That's definitely a wrong assumption. remember you have tens of millions of people that are unemployed at the moment. Those 10 of millions definitely accounts for some of those pre booked cruises. You think they're going to still want to go on a cruise? I don't think so. Just yesterday the CEO of Delta Airlines said business won't be back to pre Covid business levels until 2-3 YEARS!!!!   

I am one of those unemployed.  Never have been unemployed ever and have been on 10+ cruises.  I cancelled a cruise for 2021 and didn't hold onto the deposit, my choice.  Not saying everyone will be like me and I have plenty of savings but just the thought of the job not coming back, don't feel good about planning trips.  Also cancelled a land based trip to Hawaii.  I figure being unemployed just saved me $10,000 in travel costs.