People Still Booking Cruises

tap_out

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think the numbers for 2021 are skewed because a lot of people are booking cruises next year based on the belief that cruising won’t resume this year, which includes cruises cancelled this year (by the cruise line or by the passenger) that are now being rebooked for next year. I am curious to see what the numbers will look like for all of 2021, assuming cruising (hopefully) resumes by then. 

I am not sure anyone knows the answer to those questions.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I think there might be some panic booking going on, because of fear that all the FCCs that will need to be used in 2021 will drive up prices.  I almost booked another one this morning for March 2021, but caught myself in the nick of time.  

Temptation is not always a bad thing....lol

Before I would consider booking a cruise within the next 4 or 5 months, there are a few things I'd want to know first. Since we fly to whichever home port we'll be cruising from, what (if any) restrictions will be in place with the airlines? Since we fly in a day early, will the hotels be open to accept guests? Will the restaurants be open for regular dining, and not just carryout or drive-through? Will the ports of call on our chosen itinerary be open for tourists? I love the ocean, but I don't want to go on a cruise that just sails around for a week without ever going to any ports. That's not my idea of a fun vacation. 

6 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

I love the ocean, but I don't want to go on a cruise that just sails around for a week without ever going to any ports. That's not my idea of a fun vacation. 

If I needed to fly to a port, I would probably feel the same way.  But we are retired and live within two hours of Tampa and Port Canaveral, so at this point I would be delighted to take that kind of a vacation.  I keep booking short, inexpensive cruises because sooner or later, one of them will actually sail.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 9:58 AM, jimbo5544 said:

I understand your view, we all have to make our own minds up.  Your dilemma (actually everybody’s) will not even go away once there is a vaccine, we just do not know when we will have one, how efficient it is in working, whether there will be variations to the virus (mutants), whether there is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th wave and when they occur.  

My view is to have balance with all those things.  As we all well know, there are no guarantees, so we have to decide when and where and how we are willing to mitigate those concerns (at least in our own minds).  To echo your first line, we have to be alive, but I also want to live the time I have left in this world, and doing that in a bubble will just not make the cut.

Yes - at some point quality of life is more important than quantity...

• Like 2

I read an article somewhere that Carnival was going to sail their first few post-virus cruises with the ships only partially full.  One of two actions was proposed: Either they leave all the inside rooms open and only allow passengers to book rooms with fresh air access or they only fill every other cabin.  They were also taking other measures like no longer allowing any self-serve food (including ice cream) and washing sheets and bedding on super hot water.  This may be why some of the more recent cruises have rooms go missing that appear to be booking up.

I will say, though, that the FCC people are booking up rooms for 2021 because I have been monitoring a few and have seen rooms disappear.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eli_6 said:

I read an article somewhere that Carnival was going to sail their first few post-virus cruises with the ships only partially full.  One of two actions was proposed: Either they leave all the inside rooms open and only allow passengers to book rooms with fresh air access or they only fill every other cabin.  They were also taking other measures like no longer allowing any self-serve food (including ice cream) and washing sheets and bedding on super hot water.  This may be why some of the more recent cruises have rooms go missing that appear to be booking up.

I will say, though, that the FCC people are booking up rooms for 2021 because I have been monitoring a few and have seen rooms disappear.  

Well, maybe they're booking every other inside room because that's what we booked for our September 2020 4 day cruise. I read a similar report as well, indicating partially full cruises.  It will be interesting to find out, if this cruise happens🤞

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Well, maybe they're booking every other inside room because that's what we booked for our September 2020 4 day cruise. I read a similar report as well, indicating partially full cruises.  It will be interesting to find out, if this cruise happens🤞

I think a cruise with only half or 2/3rds capacity of passengers would be quite enjoyable.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

I think a cruise with only half or 2/3rds capacity of passengers would be quite enjoyable.  

Yes, and I bet there will be protocols added, like at least a seat between people that aren't traveling together in the theater and space between chairs on lido. I've never been a big fan of the free ice cream  or buffet, considering norovirus and other bad germs that dirty hands can bring.

On 4/18/2020 at 10:24 PM, tap_out said:

With all the doom and gloom on the board and comments that I read on Youtube I wouldn't think anybody would be booking cruises. Does not seem to be the case though. I have my eye on a couple Horizon cruises this August "Don't worry I know it is a slim chance that they will happen" specifically looking for Havana interior rooms and over the last week or so they have all but disappeared on all 3 Horizon 6 day sailings in August. Just an observation that I thought I would point out. Plenty of people still willing to roll the dice when things get going again. 

I can't imagine booking a cruise at this time.  I think there is a very good chance that many Cruise lines will not make it through this without going into bankruptcy.  If they go bankrupt you don't get your money back.  I am not going to be stepping onto a cruise ship for quite a while.  It doesn't seem like the wisest decision based on the last couple of months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Carnival Panorama has 7 day sailings to Mexico in July & August for $189!

I know these are going to end up being canceled but a week cruise for $27 per day!

Oh I wish! 😥

So... When my May Panorama cruise was cancelled I chose the $600 OBC and rebooked for July 11. Curious when they cancel that one will they offer even more OBC??

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 7:23 AM, beachbum53 said:

Before I would consider booking a cruise within the next 4 or 5 months, there are a few things I'd want to know first. Since we fly to whichever home port we'll be cruising from, what (if any) restrictions will be in place with the airlines? Since we fly in a day early, will the hotels be open to accept guests? Will the restaurants be open for regular dining, and not just carryout or drive-through? Will the ports of call on our chosen itinerary be open for tourists? I love the ocean, but I don't want to go on a cruise that just sails around for a week without ever going to any ports. That's not my idea of a fun vacation. 

Since I drive to the port to board the PANORAMA August 15th, several of your concerns don't play. I'm not flying, Don't need a hotel, Don't need a restaurant to be open. If the beautiful ports on the Mexican Riviera itinerary are closed I'll just have to be content to cruise around the fantastic Pacific for a week. I'll be a little disappointed, but since I essentially cruise for the sea, I'll be fine. (and that price of $239 will certainly help) 😁

The only thing that could ruin that dream is a Carnival bankruptcy.

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, glrounds said:

Since I drive to the port to board the PANORAMA August 15th, several of your concerns don't play. I'm not flying, Don't need a hotel, Don't need a restaurant to be open. If the beautiful ports on the Mexican Riviera itinerary are closed I'll just have to be content to cruise around the fantastic Pacific for a week. I'll be a little disappointed, but since I essentially cruise for the sea, I'll be fine. (and that price of $239 will certainly help) 😁

The only thing that could ruin that dream is a Carnival bankruptcy.

There is no bankruptcy coming.  I am not sure when the Panorama is due back, but def by then.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

There is no bankruptcy coming.  I am not sure when the Panorama is due back, but def by then.  Have a great cruise.

Agreed.

People still want to cruise and money is still coming in for future cruises. Carnival won't declare bankruptcy. It would be ridiculous. 

They would declare> another company could buy all their ships> and make all the same money Carnival would have made.

Doesn't make any sense. The ships will still be full next year. Maybe at slightly lower prices. All is well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

How can you say there is no bankruptcy coming.  Only someone that has a time machine could say that with any level of confidence.

18 hours ago, skridge said:

I can't imagine booking a cruise at this time.  I think there is a very good chance that many Cruise lines will not make it through this without going into bankruptcy.  If they go bankrupt you don't get your money back.  I am not going to be stepping onto a cruise ship for quite a while.  It doesn't seem like the wisest decision based on the last couple of months.

Your opinion on "there is a very good chance that many Cruise lines will not make it through this without going into bankruptcy" is based on what? a gut feeling? or some sort of facts that you would like to share?

• Like 1

I will say this though, I am desperate to cruise again but.........I dont want my cruise experience to be completely different then what I am use to. I understand things need to change for the safety of us all. But I dont want to cruise if were all wearing mask, bars cant operate because we have to be 6 feet apart, no entertainment. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, skridge said:

How can you say there is no bankruptcy coming.  Only someone that has a time machine could say that with any level of confidence.

Saudis had done their homework and declared with their wallets there will be no bankruptcy.