Mardi Gras or NCL Breakaway May 2021?????

etravel

Looking at booking either a Carnival Mardi Gras Excel suite or NCL Breakaway Haven cabin....not all that different on price, actually Mardi Gras maybe a bit lower even once you add the drink pkg, the wifi, and a few specialty dining events like NCL would already include. They both have their nice areas like LOFT 19 on Mardi Gras or Haven Pool on Breakaway...both do an Eastern Caribbean itin....so just struggling which to do...we've done several Royal Caribbean (feel like they don't offer the private pool areas like Carnival or NCL!)..and NCL most recently, did Haven their Getaway....haven't taken Carnival for awhile, but the new ship looks pretty darn awesome! So any thoughts or recommendations? Posting this in the Carnival area, so maybe I'm leaning more that way!!! Thanks in advance....

The problem with deciding on the Mardi Gras is that it's a newclass of ship that no one's been on before, so no telling how it's going to be. Having said that The Haven has alot more private areas and a Private Dining Room. You'll have a more exclusive experience on the Breakaway.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

There may be no comparison NCL Haven vs Mardi Gras suites.

Absolutely different leagues.

Best Haven experience in NCL fleet is  NCL Bliss.

Happy cruising!

Nickel and dime vs the best new ship out.  Is the op in haven?  If not the Mardi Gras is way superior, as the Carnival advocate here on the boards, I would think you would be more supportive.  Did you even mention the loft?   Hmmmm , I think your title is going on probation and a written warning.  😎

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Nickel and dime vs the best new ship out.  Is the op in haven?  If not the Mardi Gras is way superior, as the Carnival advocate here on the boards, I would think you would be more supportive.  Did you even mention the loft?   Hmmmm , I think your title is going on probation and a written warning.  😎

Yes...I would be comparing the Spa Haven suite vs the Carnival Excel Suite...so they are pretty close in price if I ad the wifi, drink package, and do maybe a few specialty restaurants as well...They are both nice Eastern Caribbean itineraries...so that's similar....loved our other experience in the Haven, but it's also very inviting to try this new ship out!!! 

1 hour ago, etravel said:

Yes...I would be comparing the Spa Haven suite vs the Carnival Excel Suite...so they are pretty close in price if I ad the wifi, drink package, and do maybe a few specialty restaurants as well...They are both nice Eastern Caribbean itineraries...so that's similar....loved our other experience in the Haven, but it's also very inviting to try this new ship out!!! 

Looking at the MG's deck plans the spa on Breakaway is FAR superior than the spa on the MG. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I usually agree with most of what you say, but how can the Mardi Gras be way superior when no one has sailed on her yet?  I remember years ago everyone saying how great Vista was going to be. While I have enjoyed cruises on both Vista and Horizon, neither ship is even close to my favorite Carnival ship. Both Dream and Spirt class ships are far superior in my opinion.  And what does Odyssey of the Seas have to do with anything.(the best new ship out)? 😊

I wish I was in y'all's league but alas I am not.  I have never been in a suite, I am keeping hope alive that maybe one day it will happen.    OP- we are talking about a brand new ship, a one of a kind and it is cheaper what is there to think about?

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I usually agree with most of what you say, but how can the Mardi Gras be way superior when no one has sailed on her yet?  I remember years ago everyone saying how great Vista was going to be. While I have enjoyed cruises on both Vista and Horizon, neither ship is even close to my favorite Carnival ship. Both Dream and Spirt class ships are far superior in my opinion.  And what does Odyssey of the Seas have to do with anything.(the best new ship out)? 😊

Fair point, but also not a reason to ding her    I was more comparing overall product.   Not sure I get the O of the sea comment. 

1 hour ago, rs45thompson said:

I wish I was in y'all's league but alas I am not.  I have never been in a suite, I am keeping hope alive that maybe one day it will happen.    OP- we are talking about a brand new ship, a one of a kind and it is cheaper what is there to think about?

Any tone we sail together, you are more than welcome to come check ours out.  We are in an Excel aft suite on the 1/23 sailing of Mardi Gras (assuming she sails then).  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

well on the new ship the Excel Suite is cheaper, but then I need to add the wifi, beverage package, and some specialty dining credits to make the offerings comparable to NCL's "get 4 off" where they include those features...when I add those to the Carnvial quote then they are both pretty close in price..so it's now just deciding which ship!!! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Any tone we sail together, you are more than welcome to come check ours out.  We are in an Excel aft suite on the 1/23 sailing of Mardi Gras (assuming she sails then).  

thank you, wish we could go that early! Can't go till May...maybe you can let me know how it is! Wish I could get one of the Excel Aft...they are all sold out! 

27 minutes ago, etravel said:

thank you, wish we could go that early! Can't go till May...maybe you can let me know how it is! Wish I could get one of the Excel Aft...they are all sold out! 

Well assuming she sails, I will def be doing a review. 

11 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well assuming she sails, I will def be doing a review. 

yes..I hope so..wow what a crazy situation...hope all the cruise lines can get up and running again for the sake of their crew, employees, and cruisers! Thanks again...

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 11:17 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Thank you!  We will not be on the Mardi Gras until October 2021.  Enjoy your beautiful suite!

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2020 at 10:17 PM, jimbo5544 said:

• Like 1

Although still tough decision...between NCL Breakaway or Carnival Mardi Gras...leaning towards Mardi Gras...was able to get one more Excel Suite that I wanted for a family member as well...So strongly considering it....although I do know how nice the Haven is on the NCL ships, it seems Carnival is trying to copy some of the Haven features...both look great! 

On 4/19/2020 at 9:37 PM, rs45thompson said:

yeah i thought i was doing good on my last cruise when i upgraded to a standard balcony from an interior.

• Like 1