Cruising in 2021

Jancruz

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

If cruise lines are cash poor why are there no two or three day 2021-2022 sales. Wouldn't even a 5% reduction off everything attract a little attention?

I am not in the know  but I would think  after  the dust settles & if the cruise lines are still afloat   there will be some incentives to fill the ships again

JMO

20 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I am not in the know  but I would think  after  the dust settles & if the cruise lines are still afloat   there will be some incentives to fill the ships again

JMO

Lyn,

I thought that the deposits alone, while not a lot, would help O with refunds. And also get some commitment for 2021-22. I have something iffy going for 4/2021, and I'd probably book for 2022 if there was just even a little incentive. Hard to part with deposit funds now, but 5-10% off might make me change my mind. A flash 48 hour sale.

It will take a h of a lot to make the 2021 cruise happen. Yet I'd like some hope. And think there are a lot of other cruisers who feel the same. Even if the gut says no way are things going to be any different in 2021.

Edited by Petoonya

14 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Lyn,

I thought that the deposits alone, while not a lot, would help O with refunds. And also get some commitment for 2021-22. I have something iffy going for 4/2021, and I'd probably book for 2022 if there was just even a little incentive. Hard to part with deposit funds now, but 5-10% off might make me change my mind. A flash 48 hour sale.

They might be just trying  survive for the present time 

I am not booking anything  too far ahead now  ..

It will be  a different World  when this is over 

Countries may rethink having cruise ships dock  there

JMO

• Like 1

There is talk in the UK, where we still have Government advice for over 70s not to cruise, that when lockdown restrictions are lifted the vulnerable "elderly" will be still asked to self isolate maybe up until Autumn 2021. 

Admittedly nothing official yet, but this is predicted on there maybe being a vaccine by then. 

So for us no we wouldn't cruise until some certainty on the risks. And as for avoiding large places and you will be OK, what about your fellow passengers some of whom will come from those large places?

• Like 2

There are 2 cruises on Marina that I've been eyeing in September, 2021 for a while.  The prices were definitely too high in my opinion.  Now I see the prices have just dropped $1250 per person for each.  I wasn't even thinking about booking anything.....but this is a pretty good savings.  Am I crazy to be considering booking a September 2021 cruise?! 

Edited by JVNYC

1 hour ago, JVNYC said:

There are 2 cruises on Marina that I've been eyeing in September, 2021 for a while.  The prices were definitely too high in my opinion.  Now I see the prices have just dropped $1250 per person for each.  I wasn't even thinking about booking anything.....but this is a pretty good savings.  Am I crazy to be considering booking a September 2021 cruise?! 

That's almost a year and a half away and you'd have plenty of time to cancel and get your deposit back. There might be a vaccine by then.

13 minutes ago, clo said:

That's almost a year and a half away and you'd have plenty of time to cancel and get your deposit back. There might be a vaccine by then.

I totally agree. Just more worried about if Oceania will be around. 

6 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

Oh, right. From what I've read here and I'm sure someone will correct me or expand, your credit card company would treat it like you bought something that you never received and would process a credit to your account.  Since you wrote what you did I did a little look-see and saw something interesting. But when I moved into the trip's site it was significantly more.  ???

15 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

If it will stress you out  then I would wait  & see how things  are  in several months  once the dust settles

JMO

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If it will stress you out  then I would wait  & see how things  are  in several months  once the dust settles

JMO

But was I right with what I wrote re credit card? TIA.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

But was I right with what I wrote re credit card? TIA.

Generally speaking yes although it's best to check with the specific card as the benefits vary from card to card.

If a dispute is made within 6 months of the purchase, it can be done on the phone; if more than 6 months then it has to be in writing (according to CITI's  CSR). There is no time limit on claims as such AFAIK.

6 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

True, unless the vendor is in bankruptcy. Then the bankruptcy judge decides how things are distributed. More FCC spread over a longer time frame?? 

That’s my fear.

2 hours ago, JVNYC said:

Thank you, thank you.  Because of what you wrote, I just checked on the May 2021 cruise we have booked, and the price for 2 of us just dropped almost 4k.

Again, thank you for posting this!!!!!!!!

Edited by Kate-AHF
oops, math error.

12 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Thank you, thank you.  Because of what you wrote, I just checked on the May 2021 cruise we have booked, and the price for 2 of us just dropped almost 6k.

Again, thank you for posting this!!!!!!!!

Congrats 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JVNYC said:

Me too! Thank you. Don't know if it'll ever be a go, but makes me feel great to have something on the books. 8% drop 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

True, unless the vendor is in bankruptcy. Then the bankruptcy judge decides how things are distributed. More FCC spread over a longer time frame?? 

If I file a dispute claim with my CC company do I get a credit to the card and they are then on the hook for the refund?

3 minutes ago, clo said:

If I file a dispute claim with my CC company do I get a credit to the card and they are then on the hook for the refund?

Not exactly. The key here is that the CC company is rarely on the hook - they are too smart and “lawyered up” for that.  Although they will cover illegal purchases on your card.

If you file a dispute, the CC will issue you a TEMPORARY credit for that charge (but not a refund). The dispute will be terminated if the vendor pays out. If the vendor does not pay out but is in business the CC company will pursue the matter with the vendor. If the vendor declares bankruptcy, you are SOL.

4 hours ago, JVNYC said:

I wasn't even thinking about booking anything.....but this is a pretty good savings. 

I looked at the cruise in '21 that we had canceled for Sept. '20. A 12 day Baltic/Scandinavian, deluxe oceanview was right at $2k/pp less. So I booked it knowing that if there's no vaccine and/or there's a wicked outbreak (or anything else that causes unease) this fall I have until May '21 to cancel and get deposit back. Evidently this 'sale' just began today. I booked with my wonderful O rep and will transfer to our TA. In addition we'll likely get gratuities from them. And we had a credit of $400pp  because of a price reduction last year after we'd made final payment.

Thanks JVNYC.

Just now, Paulchili said:

Not exactly. The key here is that the CC company is rarely on the hook - they are too smart and “lawyered up” for that.  Although they will cover illegal purchases on your card.

If you file a dispute, the CC will issue you a TEMPORARY credit for that charge (but not a refund). The dispute will be terminated if the vendor pays out. If the vendor does not pay out but is in business the CC company will pursue the matter with the vendor. If the vendor declares bankruptcy, you are SOL.

Thanks as always, sir.

8 minutes ago, clo said:

I looked at the cruise in '21 that we had canceled for Sept. '20. A 12 day Baltic/Scandinavian, deluxe oceanview was right at $2k/pp less. So I booked it knowing that if there's no vaccine and/or there's a wicked outbreak (or anything else that causes unease) this fall I have until May '21 to cancel and get deposit back. Evidently this 'sale' just began today. I booked with my wonderful O rep and will transfer to our TA. In addition we'll likely get gratuities from them. And we had a credit of $400pp  because of a price reduction last year after we'd made final payment.

Thanks JVNYC.

Glad that worked out for you! Is it the 9/8/21 Marina sailing? I’m looking at that one too. 

10 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

Glad that worked out for you! Is it the 9/8/21 Marina sailing? I’m looking at that one too. 

Sure is! It's almost identical to the one we canceled, two days shorter and two days in SPB rather than three. We found/find it appealing because I (a lot) and Bob (to a lesser extent cause he was stationed in Europe in the army) haven't been to many of these ports. And at our age we're not likely to tackle them all as DIYs. Maybe we'll see each other there 🙂

4 hours ago, JVNYC said:

I've been thinking about this and I think it might be hard for them to go under that quickly.  I said "think." That's not based on anything other than it seems to take things like that to take a good bit of time. We'll see.

If your insurance covers bankruptcy you won't have a problem.  That's why we've always made sure (since 9/11) that any trip insurance we buy includes coverage for bankruptcy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With all the gloom and doom, a bit of good news! Our tour operator in the Falklands says the government is planning on opening up for cruise ships by late November! Our Oceania Cruise isn’t scheduled there until early February. 

That’s their summer months and hopefully the rest of South America goes along! I fully realize that most here are purely only planning on remaining hunkered, but we have cruisers signing up for tours on our Roll Call!