Cruising in 2021

Jancruz

16 minutes ago, FolsomMike said:

As someone who sadly cancelled their July Oceania cruise, my question is WHY anyone, (particularly those over 65 or any other high risk group) would cruise before there is a vaccine? I love to travel but I can’t see risking getting a very painful disease for the sake of a vacation. And if you are younger and assume that the virus won’t kill you, doesn’t it concern you that you could be an asymptomatic carrier and potentially cause the death of others? I just don’t get it. 

Right, it's a vacation. Nothing more than that. And, yeah, a carrier. Maybe bring it home to my grands? Or anyone else. I consider it foolish and irresponsible. Self-serving. Sorry. Argue against that if you can...but you can't.

1 minute ago, clo said:

You obviously base that on some thing. Please share.

1. Well the numbers of new cases in each state in Australia is now <10/day with  a very big and effective testing regime (the key) and extensive contact tracing of each new case. 
  2. All arrivals into Australia (and only Australians can actually travel back) must go into supervised quarantine for 14 days
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:
  1. Well the numbers of new cases in each state in Australia is now <10/day with  a very big and effective testing regime (the key) and extensive contact tracing of each new case. 
  2. All arrivals into Australia (and only Australians can actually travel back) must go into supervised quarantine for 14 days

That is fantastic! I don't think "contact tracing" is getting the press that it ought to. And, yay, that you're keeping it to Australians.

Drkikat, we have a cruise booked for early January 2021 from Sydney to Auckland. Do you think Australia  and New Zealand  will be open to visitors by then?

Thanks for your thoughts!😀

I think that this is a multistep process: 

1. In Australia, currently only allowing Australians into Australia with 14 day quarantine
  2. I think that Australia and NZ will become a single quarantine entity at some point later in year
  3. Later they will allow foreigners in but with quarantine period
  4. Later a vaccine will be developed
  5. Then they will allow people in with verified immunity status.

They may be up to line 3 by January 2021 so may allow foreigners in with quarantine period but I actually doubt it. So no, do not think you will be cruising here...

The cruise may go ahead but with locals only (and verified quarantined staff)

Edited by drkitkat123
more to add
  • Like 1

As a couple of newly minted 70 year olds, we are not traveling, especially by cruise ship, until there is a vaccine.   In early March we moved our 28 day Nautica cruise from March 2021 to March 2022.   As much as we love to travel,  as others have said, we are not willing to risk getting this disease for the sake of a vacation.   

26 minutes ago, the mice said:

we are not willing to risk getting this disease for the sake of a vacation.   

It befuddles me that everyone doesn't think this way.. In all honesty I wonder if some 'therapy' might be in order.

11 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I was thinking about it and was wondering if anyone will cruise before there is a vaccine..I know I would anyone else??

Jancruz1

I've read this thread and since you're the OP I'd like to ask... why on earth would you? So you don't care if you kill yourself or your friends and family? Amazing IMneverHO 😞

• Like 1

Our November African cruise may be canceled but if not we would certainly not go due to the health risk. Besides there may be no flights from Australia by then.  Our next booked cruise is Europe in August 2021. Without a vaccine we probably would not go due to our age. Whenever we do cruise again we would look carefully at the fine print of our insurance policy. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

I've read this thread and since you're the OP I'd like to ask... why on earth would you? So you don't care if you kill yourself or your friends and family? Amazing IMneverHO 😞

That's a bit dramatic. The overall survival rate from Covid 19 is quite high really. The figures vary depending on which day you check them out but somewhere between 80% and 95% from memory. So contracting the virus does not mean you are going to die. In fact there is a good chance you will survive. Of course this differs a lot if you have co-morbidities.

If you self-isolate for 14 days when you return from travelling (as is mandated here in Australia) you have zero chance of passing on the virus (if you have contracted it) to any family or friends.

Edited by DeanoNorthPerth
Pedantic

8 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

If you self-isolate for 14 days when you return from travelling (as is mandated here in Australia) you have zero chance of passing on the virus (if you have contracted it) to any family or friends.

Do people self-isolate in hotels?

Otherwise family would be at risk in most cases.

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Do people self-isolate in hotels?

Otherwise family would be at risk in most cases.

Sorry, my bad. It's not "self-isolate". It's an enforced isolation at a hotel (not allowed to leave the room for any reason unless medical) for 14 days.

We recently had a case of someone leaving his hotel room to visit his girlfriend. He has been jailed for a month and fined $2000.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Sorry, my bad. It's not "self-isolate". It's an enforced isolation at a hotel (not allowed to leave the room for any reason unless medical) for 14 days.

We recently had a case of someone leaving his hotel room to visit his girlfriend. He has been jailed for a month and fined $2000.

and the government has actually been paying for this. 

25 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

That's the way to do it - wish it could be done here.

Kudos to your government for this - especially as they are willing to bear the cost..

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

That's the way to do it - wish it could be done here.

Kudos to your government for this - especially as they are willing to bear the cost..

Its actually quite clever. It's supporting the hotel industry and staff, catering etc which would otherwise be so quiet, while at the same time quarantining travellers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My question is what will the state of world wide economy be in the near future. Surely it will not just return to pre covid-19 status. It may not be possible to cruise to some places nor would it be advisable. We have a Silver Seas cruise in April 2021(paid for) and an Oceania cruise in Feb 2022. We will wait to see what happens but hopefully we will all start safely cruising again.

18 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I was thinking about it and was wondering if anyone will cruise before there is a vaccine..I know I would anyone else??

Jancruz1

No!  We won't be cruising, or maybe even travelling.   We will have endured lockdown for many months (we are in the over 70 bracket) just to have all the careful living to be undone.  When there is a vaccine maybe ...........................   J   

6 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

in the early days of this pandemic  our Government  took those from the Grand Princess  to the air base here  to isolate

then they were telling people arriving home   to self isolate

people were taking public transit home and shopping on the way home  DUH!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jay23 said:

No!  We won't be cruising, or maybe even travelling.   We will have endured lockdown for many months (we are in the over 70 bracket) just to have all the careful living to be undone.  When there is a vaccine maybe ...........................   J   

Jay, I'm from the US so I think I can say this. I think "Americans" are more than a tad arrogant. They don't like being told what to do. They think they're immune - word chosen deliberately - from the rules of doing the smart thing when they want to do the wrong thing. Like going to beaches. So congrats to you. We feel the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

Its actually quite clever. It's supporting the hotel industry and staff, catering etc which would otherwise be so quiet, while at the same time quarantining travellers

Agree.

Here they are doing the same thing with the homeless people who are quite vulnerable and effected in large numbers.

11 hours ago, clo said:

Really? By choosing to take a cruise or vacation I am killing people? I refuse to cower in fear locked in my house, never going out. I have a trip to Namibia in September and if the airline is flying, I am going. I have a Windstar Tahiti cruise for January 2021 and if the airlines are flying and the cruise its sailing, I am going. I moved this years Baltic cruise to August 2021 but would have gone this June if it was sailing. 

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Really? By choosing to take a cruise or vacation I am killing people?

Susie- you are an extremely bright woman judging from your eloquent posts on different threads. Respect to you for those.

But what does it take to convince you that you can be a carrier without symptoms and spread to a vulnerable person? You may not be killing people but you would be engaging in terribly irresponsible behavior. I really don't understand your unwillingness to accept this.

Leaving your home unprotected without a mask now is definitely unsafe for you and those you come in contact with. Your state is not COVID-19 free.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Really? By choosing to take a cruise or vacation I am killing people?

You may very well be killing someone. You may be asymptomatic or have mild symptoms but you can certainly pass it to others who may suffer terribly or even die.

Asymptomatic carriers are the most dangerous ones because they infect others without even knowing it; at least one would hope that a symptomatic person would be responsible enough to self-isolate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You may choose to cruise, the cruise line may choose to sail but that does not mean that countries have to let you ashore. Can you imagine a country that has worked incredibly hard to get things under control then allowing ships of 500-5000 passengers to dock and come ashore without a whole bunch of severe restrictions and criteria? This may take a long while and require long term demonstrated vaccine success.

• Like 1