Cruising in 2021

Jancruz

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

I was thinking about it and was wondering if anyone will cruise before there is a vaccine..I know I would anyone else??

Jancruz1

Kind of up in the air.   Probably would cruise in the carib. but would have to think hard and long about going halfway around the world and then get stranded with no way to come home. 

Once properties of immunity are discovered and offer definite protection say at least 6-12 months ....that would be nice. And intense testing for those who have no immunity would also be nice. It's a lot to ask for but regular testing is imperative. If those are possible then I'd have no problem cruising. Have one for 4/21 and keeping fingers crossed.

We have not canceled our 10/16/2020 Riviera B2B yet but final payment is due on the 19MAY and we will probably cancel if Oceania does not extend their "Travelers Assurance Program" past 30SEP2020.  I think Oceania will see lots of cancelations for sailings in October, November and December, when final payment is due and there is no Travel Assurance Program coverage.  We have a July 2021 Baltic/Arctic B2B booked so can use the "administrative fee" voucher on that.

Insignia Montreal to NY --- payment is due on 22 May.

We have a Regent cruise in January 2021 -- still up in the air as to cancelling. Payment in August.

Crystal River cruise -- fully paid in December 2020.  I hope this goes as planned.  Have a retirement/Christmas party scheduled in Vienna for that time.  We will see if Europe opens up for large gatherings by then...

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

I was thinking about it and was wondering if anyone will cruise before there is a vaccine..I know I would anyone else??

Jancruz1

Yes.....not a problem  the risk is real but highly concentrated in specific areas  It is world wide  BUT  is not everywhere..   By practicing  avoiding high density places like Seattle, LA SF ,,NY     your going to  diminish the the risk exponential.   Alaska  will be great,  Just practice keeping distant and away from crowds and use a mask if you can not....    no big thing if you just be careful...... That is until the chinese release the next bio-hazard on the west

Edited by Hawaiidan

19 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

We have a cruise May 2021 and most likely unless there is a vaccine will cancel. I could not enjoy myself having to worry.  So answer is NO

I am in your camp.

I need ASSURANCES that it's safe to travel before I do. I am 70+ with several other co-morbidity factors that I truly cannot afford to get sick. Life is more important to me than travel.

Full stop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a Nautica cruise for April  21 and plan to cancel. Until they come up with a vaccine I won't be going that far (Japan) from home. Don't want to get sick or stuck on a Voyage of the Damned. Also there is the not so small logistical problems of airlines flying, ports and countries opening or not, hotels, excursions etc. Now that the whole world is shut down you can't just flip a switch and the whole thing comes back

1 hour ago, basor said:

We have not canceled our 10/16/2020 Riviera B2B yet but final payment is due on the 19MAY and we will probably cancel if Oceania does not extend their "Travelers Assurance Program" past 30SEP2020.  I think Oceania will see lots of cancelations for sailings in October, November and December, when final payment is due and there is no Travel Assurance Program coverage.  We have a July 2021 Baltic/Arctic B2B booked so can use the "administrative fee" voucher on that.

Basor - Agree with you.  We were on the 2nd half of your B2B...Rome to Miami.  At this point, as we were approaching the final payment date (and before that - the "admin fee" period), I had no "Assurance" at all whether the cruise would actually sail, and do NOT think that a FCC is the same thing, or equivalent to an actual cash refund.  I could not be sure how/if the "Riviera" would/will even be able to sail to Lisbon/Rome and to have picked us all up (after flying to Italy from the U.S.) and deliver us back to Miami on a "healthy" ship?

And how about France, Spain, Portugal, and Bermuda?  Our port stops along the way back to the U.S.  Would they have allowed (or would it even be safe) for us to get off the ship there?  And would we have all been "Stuck" (quarantined) on the ship before docking in Miami, if so much as one passenger showed signs of "illness"?  Just didn't want to gamble with it.

We've got another cruise (Regent) booked for December 2021.  I'm hoping that that cruise will be far enough away from the current conditions on the ground to make a more informed and educated decision about the safety of cruising.  O's "Customer Assurance Program" was not giving me enough leeway (assurance) to make that decision for the rest of this year, with the proviso of getting my CASH back, if I had decided to cancel (not just them).  Regards.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Once properties of immunity are discovered and offer definite protection say at least 6-12 months ....that would be nice. And intense testing for those who have no immunity would also be nice. It's a lot to ask for but regular testing is imperative. If those are possible then I'd have no problem cruising. Have one for 4/21 and keeping fingers crossed.

Petoonya, we also have scheduled Cruise 4/21. Actually, rescheduled from TA cancelled this Sept due to Cuba closure. Hoping we can at least do mass testing of immune status & know the significance of that by then, or we have vaccine, which may be pushing it. If neither happens I'll probably cancel. 

I will wait & see  how things go by the end of the year  & pray there is not another wave of  this/similar virus  next  winter

Even if there is  a vaccine  it may not work on the next virus  as they usually mutate  like the flu  & those making the vaccine make their best guess  with the Flu shots

53 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

Petoonya, we also have scheduled Cruise 4/21. Actually, rescheduled from TA cancelled this Sept due to Cuba closure. Hoping we can at least do mass testing of immune status & know the significance of that by then, or we have vaccine, which may be pushing it. If neither happens I'll probably cancel. 

We are in total agreement!

We moved our Japan April 2021 cruise to April 2022 with the hope that the vaccine is readily available to everyone (all countries) else, will cancel. Have a FCD Certificate that expires February 2021 so hoping to book a cruise for late 2021 or another in 2022.  

3 hours ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

If our August 2020 cruise is a go we will be on board.

Very courageous and maybe foolish?

After all, several ships sailed (Princess, HAL among others) that should not have and we know what happened to them.

My personal criteria for sailing is what vaccine/cure there is rather whether the ship sails or not.

Obviously YMMV.

As someone who sadly cancelled their July Oceania cruise, my question is WHY anyone, (particularly those over 65 or any other high risk group) would cruise before there is a vaccine? I love to travel but I can’t see risking getting a very painful disease for the sake of a vacation. And if you are younger and assume that the virus won’t kill you, doesn’t it concern you that you could be an asymptomatic carrier and potentially cause the death of others? I just don’t get it. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

Jancruz poses an interesting question. If all were ok (meaning an effective vaccine introduced) our answer is yes. But, those pictures of stranded cruise ships with illness will keep many off the seas. 

Since even Dr. Fauci has said absolute best case scenario 12-18 months for a vaccine, the way I do that math is late 2021. So good grief, no.

9 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

Just to clarify, I think Australia and New Zealand will have effectively eradicated the virus internally within a couple of months, so local cruises may be actually OK in 2021

You obviously base that on some thing. Please share.