What if we can’t get travel insurance

silversurf

We booked a cruise over 12 months before sailing and none of the travel insurance companies will quote unless you are within 12 months of your cruise.

we are now within that time frame and have tries lots of insurance companies, but because of our ages and medical conditions they have said they are unable to quote.

As P and O say you are unable to travel without insurance, what would our position be regarding getting our deposit back and TA waiving their cancellation fee?

I would have thought that we would be refused boarding if we just turned up, which we, of course wouldn’t without the proper cover.

3 minutes ago, silversurf said:

We booked a cruise over 12 months before sailing and none of the travel insurance companies will quote unless you are within 12 months of your cruise.

we are now within that time frame and have tries lots of insurance companies, but because of our ages and medical conditions they have said they are unable to quote.

As P and O say you are unable to travel without insurance, what would our position be regarding getting our deposit back and TA waiving their cancellation fee?

I would have thought that we would be refused boarding if we just turned up, which we, of course wouldn’t without the proper cover.

Try AGE UK.

They have excellent connections with many Brokers.

7 minutes ago, silversurf said:

Tried them PR. They stopped offering travel insurance in August 2019, but thanks for your suggestion.

Next, contact a local independent Insurance Broker, being a member of the British Insurance Brokers Association, governed by the FCA.

Or contact BiBA direct for their recommendation or suggestion

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

28 minutes ago, silversurf said:

After my heart attack Allclear insured us.

It’s really frustrating as my October cruise was covered by an annual policy taken out before the pandemic was known about. If I now move the cruise it won’t be covered. 
I think I’ll have to take a FCC for the deposit, I’m reluctant to go on it now although I think it will be cancelled. Haven’t got to pay the balance til July so I’ll wait and see nearer the time but looking like I’ll just take the deposit as FFC.

Like you we had annual insurance which prior to this crisis, specifically included pandemic in the details.  That has now gone.  We have two cruises booked for next year which were booked before the pandemic and the changed T&Cs but I guess that won't count for much especially since we have to renew before then when it will be very surprising if the new policy doesn't exclude it too. 

We have also moved a July cruise to next year.  Again, now unlikely to be covered unless perhaps a vaccine - and proof of having it - may persuade insurers to change their stance.  But we may be in danger of losing our deposit if there's no cover available.  I definitely wouldn't travel without adequate insurance, but this far out with only a low deposit involved we decided to risk re-booking. 

• Like 2

This article doesn’t make comforting reading

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-insurance-holiday-cancelled-coronavirus-premiums-payouts-a9480981.html

“Amid concerns over rising travel insurance premiums triggered by the coronavirus pandemic, a Lancashire couple have been told the cost of their annual policy has risen by 550 per cent.

David Hallam, from Todmorden, renewed his annual travel insurance with Aviva in May 2019 for £167, covering himself and his wife, Sheila.

But he has just received a renewal invitation from the company quoting a figure of £1,079, an increase of over £900.

“This is for exactly the same cover with no change in our circumstances apart from being one year older,“ he said

....”
etc

Here is what my company says

"Please note, our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against all or “all but essential” travel. Our policies will also not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. We also can not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses. This general exclusion applies to all sections of cover except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section."

Great!  So no cover for Covid, Sars, etc.  I won't be going anywhere.

56 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Here is what my company says

"Please note, our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against all or “all but essential” travel. Our policies will also not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. We also can not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses. This general exclusion applies to all sections of cover except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section."

Great!  So no cover for Covid, Sars, etc.  I won't be going anywhere.

No cover for Covid, SARS etc apart from under the emergency medical expenses section.

“ ..........any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above.”

Very widely drawn wording. If that’s standard across the piece it’s going to put an awful lot of people off going abroad, particularly as the current EHIC reciprocal arrangements with most of the rest of Europe end on 31 December.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Like you we had annual insurance which prior to this crisis, specifically included pandemic in the details.  That has now gone.  We have two cruises booked for next year which were booked before the pandemic and the changed T&Cs but I guess that won't count for much especially since we have to renew before then when it will be very surprising if the new policy doesn't exclude it too. 

We have also moved a July cruise to next year.  Again, now unlikely to be covered unless perhaps a vaccine - and proof of having it - may persuade insurers to change their stance.  But we may be in danger of losing our deposit if there's no cover available.  I definitely wouldn't travel without adequate insurance, but this far out with only a low deposit involved we decided to risk re-booking. 

I find myself in a similar situation.

I have 2 cruises booked this year and 3 next, in Jan May and Aug. All were booked before the covid-19 pandemic started. I am in the second year of an annual travel insurance policy, due for renewal at the end of Jan 2021. Last month my insurer informed me that I would not be covered for covid-19 for any future bookings, but would continue to be covered for existing ones. So I am covered for my cruises this year and in Jan next, but cover in respect of the later ones will depend on the basis on which they will renew the policy. Hopefully by next Jan cover for covid-19 will again be available at a price - what is the use of travel insurance without it - and if not I will argue that as both were booked in good faith whilst I was covered by my policy then cover should persist. But until I know the answer to these questions, my May and Aug 2021 cruises must remain in the balance.

Edited by Denarius

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

This article doesn’t make comforting reading

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-insurance-holiday-cancelled-coronavirus-premiums-payouts-a9480981.html

“Amid concerns over rising travel insurance premiums triggered by the coronavirus pandemic, a Lancashire couple have been told the cost of their annual policy has risen by 550 per cent.

David Hallam, from Todmorden, renewed his annual travel insurance with Aviva in May 2019 for £167, covering himself and his wife, Sheila.

But he has just received a renewal invitation from the company quoting a figure of £1,079, an increase of over £900.

“This is for exactly the same cover with no change in our circumstances apart from being one year older,“ he said

....”
etc

You do have to wonder sometimes what use insurance companies are!

I’m another one that won’t be able to go abroad until we’re properly covered.

It can’t go on indefinitely though as the cruise companies won’t have any passengers. Gutting as this year and next year I have cruises which would be going to special places for me.

• Like 2

Do you I understand it correctly that you can purchase additional insurance on top of the insurance already purchased with the cruise? I mean, there are plenty of insurance companies and logically there should be a possibility of them stacking up. I might be wrong, but it cant be like all the insurance companies are refusing you. Hope you found the right solution

28 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Do you I understand it correctly that you can purchase additional insurance on top of the insurance already purchased with the cruise? I mean, there are plenty of insurance companies and logically there should be a possibility of them stacking up. I might be wrong, but it cant be like all the insurance companies are refusing you. Hope you found the right solution

As far as I am aware, there is no element of insurance provided when a cruise is booked apart from statutory insurance P&O need to have such as company liability. Personal insurance policies covering the individual cruisers are a separate transaction.

Edited by pete14

23 minutes ago, pete14 said:

As far as I am aware, there is no element of insurance provided when a cruise is booked apart from statutory insurance P&O need to have such as company liability. Personal insurance policies covering the individual cruisers are a separate transaction.

Insurance including Coronavirus, or a Coronavirus add on WILL be available. The question is ,are you prepared to pay the premium. If it costs an extra,say,£1000 that is a price many will pay for a years travel, perhaps 5,or 6 overseas holidays and cruises .Cheer up folks it will end.😷

It’s not just money and not just insurance though, is it?

Remember those cruise ships where there has been virus on board.  All passengers are confined to their cabins.  It’s not simply that you won’t be able to dock, to see the sights, go to the beach - you will be confined to your (tiny, tiny) cabin, with meals delivered 3 times a day.  No room service, no bars, no theatre, no spa, no gym, no lectures.  Just you; your travelling companion(s); slow, unreliable, expensive wi-fi and a tiny TV screen with limited channels.  A floating prison cell. That’s no way to spend your money or your precious holiday time.

Add the worry of what happens when and after you get back to Southampton - how do you get home safely; how will you cope with 7/14 days quarantine at home etc etc

All that assumes that it’s some other passenger, not you, who actually gets the virus.  That’s a whole different scary scenario

The world will be very different once we start to get on top of this thing.  Changes to holidays won’t be the most significant difference, I’m sure.  However, I think the chance of cruising recommending in 2020 is zero and it’s probably slim for 2021 too.  
Who knows?  We didn’t really see this coming, did we?  Maybe there’s a brilliant solution waiting just round the corner

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s not just money and not just insurance though, is it?

Remember those cruise ships where there has been virus on board.  All passengers are confined to their cabins.  It’s not simply that you won’t be able to dock, to see the sights, go to the beach - you will be confined to your (tiny, tiny) cabin, with meals delivered 3 times a day.  No room service, no bars, no theatre, no spa, no gym, no lectures.  Just you; your travelling companion(s); slow, unreliable, expensive wi-fi and a tiny TV screen with limited channels.  A floating prison cell. That’s no way to spend your money or your precious holiday time.

Add the worry of what happens when and after you get back to Southampton - how do you get home safely; how will you cope with 7/14 days quarantine at home etc etc

All that assumes that it’s some other passenger, not you, who actually gets the virus.  That’s a whole different scary scenario

The world will be very different once we start to get on top of this thing.  Changes to holidays won’t be the most significant difference, I’m sure.  However, I think the chance of cruising recommending in 2020 is zero and it’s probably slim for 2021 too.  
Who knows?  We didn’t really see this coming, did we?  Maybe there’s a brilliant solution waiting just round the corner

Quite right of course, but it should be a choice. Some ships earlier this year had cases of covid, many did not. In the UK, our expert SAGE committee said they expected 80% of the population would be infected. That hasn't happened, but if 1 million do get infected that means 60m or so didn't. Will there be a second wave when we all come out of lockdown?, Who knows.Too early to do the statistics yet as the degree of confidence in any calculations would be massive, but also too early to say the World will be closed for the ever.

38 minutes ago, boogybaby said:

Hi, I have just booked an annual policy with Avanti for 15 months including Usa and it’s only increased by £100  we are happy, now I just need the ships to sail 

To me, that sounds a good result. If my company offered me £100 extra next year to include covid, I would bite their hand off. If one can do it, others may follow suit.

47 minutes ago, zap99 said:

To me, that sounds a good result. If my company offered me £100 extra next year to include covid, I would bite their hand off. If one can do it, others may follow suit.

Just got an online quote from them and it does not include Covid. Maybe this is just for new customers.