This too, Shall Pass

StanandJim

21 hours ago, clo said:

Our trick was carrying it all onto the ship 🙂

That is certainly an option, but then one is  honorbound to do all of the drinking  in the Stateroom-

What a Snoozetown. 😞

One of the few situations where I would actually rather pay the tax.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

That is certainly an option, but then one is  honorbound to do all of the drinking  in the Stateroom-

Or take a bottle of wine to dinner and pay corkage.

And we can certainly have the occasional cocktail at a bar.

On 4/27/2020 at 3:38 PM, pingpong1 said:

The problem (but just a "small one") with Cramer's/NBC "opinion/hit piece" article, is that virtually everything he alleges and tries to imply is basically false!  His ongoing hate for "all things Trump", continues.  No taxpayer money is being used in any way to "bail out" Carnival Cruise Lines.  And President Trump's alleged influence or friendship with the Cruise line's CEO played absolutely no part in the loosening up of private equity lending to Carnival.  That new loan, by the way, was able to keep 150,000 Carnival employees collecting a paycheck.  It was Actually Jerome Powell, Chairman of the FED (certainly no particular "friend" of the President), who enabled this private loan to actually happen.  But hey, let's not let facts get in the way of our biases and prejudices!   It's all private investor funded bonds that are keeping Carnival "afloat" (Yes - I know!) during this particularly difficult financial time.  With that new funding, Carnival is still having to pay 11.5% interest - vice the original 15% it would have been  without the Fed's help - still not exactly "bargain rates" .  But nice try, Cramer, keep up the good work! 

+ 100

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Got the word, yesterday, that Carnival, et al are re starting their sailing schedules beginning August 1, 2020.

I think they still have to get approval from the CDC  to sail  from US ports??

Maybe only Floridians will be able to cruise 😎

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think they still have to get approval from the CDC  to sail  from US ports??

Maybe only Floridians will be able to cruise 😎

The CDC has the power to recommend, but without the authority to enforce their suggestions, it all seems rather toothless.

The Federal Government of the United States (you look and I'll whistle) has handled this very poorly so far, and apparently wants to handle the  re-opening of the Economy on a State by State basis.   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

The CDC has the power to recommend, but without the authority to enforce their suggestions, it all seems rather toothless.

The Federal Government of the United States (you look and I'll whistle) has handled this very poorly so far, and apparently wants to handle the  re-opening of the Economy on a State by State basis.   

Wrong. The CDC has the authority to restrict cruise ship sailings.  It is not just a recommendation. I suggest you read the CDC No Sail Order  https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/04/15/2020-07930/no-sail-order-and-suspension-of-further-embarkation-notice-of-modification-and-extension-and-other

Note that I have intentionally used boldface type for the word "order " above. Further in the  order you'll see multiple mentions of cruise lines needing the approval of the Coast Guard in order to carry out activities. I can guarantee you that the Coast Guard is quite capable of enforcing the order .

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 3

I agree that this is the method that the Government  used to stop Cruise Ships from operating at the start of all this.

For the re-opening, though, it looks like nobody wants to be seen as  being "responsible" for making that decision.

I'm fairly certain that the States will be asked to decide for themselves when they wish to resume. 

56 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I agree that this is the method that the Government  used to stop Cruise Ships from operating at the start of all this.

For the re-opening, though, it looks like nobody wants to be seen as  being "responsible" for making that decision.

I'm fairly certain that the States will be asked to decide for themselves when they wish to resume. 

The CDC clearly has assumed the responsibility for setting the national standards. The No Sail Order includes the requirements that cruise lines must meet in order to be granted permission to resume operations in US waters.

That doesn't mean individual states still having a state of emergency declaration in effect can't take certain actions making it virtually impossible for a cruise ship to embark or disembark passengers in their ports, but some states are already in the process of loosening their restrictions. That's  why Carnival has announced they plan to resume some operations in Florida and Texas on August 1, but it's also why you're unlikely to see cruising resumed from New York, New Jersey, or California any time soon.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, njhorseman said: That's  why Carnival has announced they plan to resume some operations in Florida and Texas on August 1, but it's also why you're unlikely to see cruising resumed from New York, New Jersey, or California any time soon.

Another reason Carnival is sailing from Florida and Texas is those places can be driven to by a large customer base. There will be very few flights operating by Aug. 1 for those who need to fly to an embarkation port. Those cruises in August will be full of "locals".

58 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Another reason Carnival is sailing from Florida and Texas is those places can be driven to by a large customer base. There will be very few flights operating by Aug. 1 for those who need to fly to an embarkation port. Those cruises in August will be full of "locals".

Approximately 9 million people live within 150 miles of Galveston,  8.5 million within 150 miles of Miami, and 13 million within 150 miles of Orlando.

There's a bigger population base within a 150 mile radius of the NY/NJ ports,  about 40 million, but the cruise lines aren't going to spend 5 minutes thinking about cruising from NY in the immediate future despite a much larger population living within driving distance because they know it won't be allowed. 

They're planning to cruise from Florida and Texas because those are the only significant cruise markets where they're likely to be permitted to do so as early as August, not because those markets have the most people within a morning's drive of the ports.

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

They're planning to cruise from Florida and Texas because those are the only significant cruise markets where they're likely to be permitted to do so as early as August, not because those markets have the most people within a morning's drive of the ports.

I think Carnival is making a huge mistake if they go ahead with their plans.

Can you imagine one more Diamond or Grand Princess incident on any of their ships? It would surely end Carnival and possibly many other lines.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

+1

Just now, Paulchili said:

Can you imagine one more Diamond or Grand Princess incident? It would surely end Carnival and possibly many other lines.

It definitely could mean the end of cruising as we know it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Can you imagine one more Diamond or Grand Princess incident on any of their ships? It would surely end Carnival and possibly many other lines.

Princess, Holland America and Seabourn have announced suspension of all of their cruises until mid to late November....

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, basor said:

Princess, Holland America and Seabourn have announced suspension of all of their cruises until mid to late November....

The different demographics that are attracted to the different brands seems to be at play here-

There are already anti-distancing riots in some portions of the Country.  

2 hours ago, basor said:

What about Carnival itself?

It doesn't matter which ship gets into trouble - it stains the entire industry.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

What about Carnival itself?

It doesn't matter which ship gets into trouble - it stains the entire industry.

And just takes one passenger or crew member to test positive for the stain this time to become permanent.

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

And just takes one passenger or crew member to test positive for the stain this time to become permanent.

Yup, that is the problem.  One positive test will be the end.  No port will take that ship, either in the U.S. or overseas.  That will keep us from booking a cruise until this all shakes out.  Not fun to see. 

• Like 1