Italy Closed to Tourism for the rest of 2020?

Hlitner

A group of legislators are demanding that Minister Franceschini deny those rumors that appeared in the foreign press.  Not clear what's happening.:

https://www.iltempo.it/news-adn-kronos/2020/04/28/news/coronavirus-fdi-franceschini-smentisca-chiusura-confini-fino-a-dicembre-1321169/

In another article of April 25, Franceschini says they intend to reopen museums and tourist sites in May.

https://www.iltempo.it/italpress/2020/04/25/news/coronavirus-franceschini-a-maggio-riapriremo-siti-e-musei-1320297/

Opening up the tourist sites (museums and more) in May indeed is only for the Italians.

But I haven´t read anything about a closure for all foreign tourists til the end of the year in any of the German media and as Italy next to Spain, Turkey or Greece is one of the main countries for vacations for us Germans this would have made it in the media. The Spanish rumors made it too (no Mallorca for this summer! Mallorca is regardad as the 17th state of Germany). Actually going skiing in South Tyrol (Italy) and Tyrol (Austria) in February did cause the higher infection rate here in Bavaria.

steamboats

• Like 1

There is plenty of headline fodder these days. I would suggest doing what responsible journalists do. Verify.  Look at multiple sources and also find out where the info is coming from. It's a bit different to say "Italy's foreign minister says borders will be closed until 2021" and "Italy today issued an emergency declaration closing its borders to foreign tourists until 2021".

A pronouncement by one government official does not a policy make. (See our own country for ample evidence daily....).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, tbh I can’t see European borders opening for a long time. The lockdowns are being more lenient, but social distancing is going to be with us for a long time.

Countries will start opening up, but for the time being it will only be for the national population. I don’t think tourists will be coming to Europe until 2021.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Only if @Hlitner asks

LOL!  Actually it is good to find something worth a small laugh during a time when there is little humor.  But I have no problem with a question mark vs my original exclamation mark.   The truth is that the entire travel and cruise industries are just one huge question mark.  DW and I are luckier then most because we are happily retired, can control our own schedule, and still have the means to travel.  But we are also in the so-called high risk group with COVID-19.  We are also pretty adventurous folks so cancelling a few cruises and simply flying off to wherever is fine.  But now, we do have to weigh the risk-benefit.  

Our next cruise is still booked and its a longer voyage that is scheduled to embark from Civitavecchia in October.  We had planned to fly into Italy a few days early (we have traveled extensively throughout Italy for over 30 years) to enjoy some quality time in Rome.  My own hunch is that Italy will be open for business by October, but our cruise will likely be cancelled (by either Princess or me) because too many of the scheduled ports will remain closed to cruise ships.   As to Italy reopening, even when it happens they are going to have problems attracting tourists for the remainder of the year.  Many folks have simply given up on the idea of travel this year, and others who are willing to roll the dice will likely avoid Italy because of all the negative COVID-19 publicity.  

My own healthcare background keeps nagging me with the following internal question.  Why would this COVID-19 virus disappear or even wane in the next few months (or even years)?  I really do not have an answer because, barring some kind of miracle where the virus morphs into something less harmful, there is no reason it will soon disappear.  Sure, many of us will adjust to the risk and resume our lives.  But does that translate to going on a cruise ship where we are packed into a relatively tight space with thousands of others?   Let us be honest with each other.  It is hard to imagine a worse place to be then a cruise ship...as long as this virus is an issue.

Hank

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, bennybear said:

Sadly I agree with you Hank!  Wish it wasn’t so but it won’t be business as usual for the foreseeable  future.   And to add to the concerns will insurance ever cover this virus?   

I think there are plans to have a former guest return to help answer some of those questions, I don't have an update yet on when that will happen. Our own crew has been adjusted this week unfortunately and so like everything else, we are figuring things out as we go. But, keep up with news and information on the industry remains a priority and so as we get information, the more solid it is the better, we will roll it out.

The insurance might be slowest of all. I'm not sure why it surprised me, but it did, when I learned in one of my university economics courses that insurance companies had more money than any other financial institution AND, they were in business mostly to make money, not pay it out. Based on constantly changing statistics and the laws–seemingly written in their favor, they're good at it.

That's where the advice or smart representatives who understand all of these variables can be invaluable. The person who was a  guest last year has a background as a certified financial planner (CFP). They must pass an exam demonstrating mastery in multiple disciplines in order to legally advise clients.

Do you need to be a CFP to talk about insurance? No. It's kind of like buying a used car. You can get one anywhere, they're not all the same...for a certain price; it might look/seem the same as a car someone got somewhere else, but is it? Some people will say these are the same cars when they definitely aren't.

Some people will charge more money, lie, mislead, not explain things, etc etc, on and on. But it's your money, and if you're thinking about protecting it, then you want to do the very best you can to really protect it by understanding fully how everything works, why, how. Ask every question you've got, and then ask what question you should ask but didn't think of asking!

If the advice is clever, and it's free, grab it. Here is the topic from when Steve visited last year:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2479-qa-with-insuremytrip/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Bonjour said:

The insurance might be slowest of all. I'm not sure why it surprised me, but it did, when I learned in one of my university economics courses that insurance companies had more money than any other financial institution AND, they were in business mostly to make money, not pay it out. Based on constantly changing statistics and the laws–seemingly written in their favor, they're good at it.

That's why I try to buy insurance whenever possible from mutual companies [New York Life and State Farm] or non-profit associations [Alliance of Nonprofits for Insurance].  But none of them offer Travel Insurance.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 9:08 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

That's why I try to buy insurance whenever possible from mutual companies [New York Life and State Farm] or non-profit associations [Alliance of Nonprofits for Insurance].  But none of them offer Travel Insurance.

Perhaps they are trying to tell us something (by not offering any travel insurance).  I am guilty of being a contrarian where trip insurance is concerned.  Despite traveling up to 6 months a year (and we have been doing this for a long time), DW and I do not buy so-called trip insurance.  Accordingly, I once calculated that we are "up" over $100,000 which represents the money we havesaved by NOT buying trip insurance.  We do purchase an annual Travel Medical policy that is relatively inexpensive but gives us up to $250,000 of medical coverage that is good for all the trips we take over an entire year.  We have chosen to "self insure" both cancellation and interruption (this means we do not buy that kind of insurance) although we do take advantage of the credit card cancellation/interruption benefits offered as part of the higher end Chase credit cards.  And before anyone scoffs at the credit card offerings (which do not cost anything other then the cost of the credit card) we actually collected $10,000 from Chase when DW got injured in Asia and we had to interrupt a long trip to get her back to the USA.

Folks need to actually read the details of multiple policies and decide what works best for them based on their own financial situation and risk tolerance.  There is no such thing as a one policy fits all travel policy.  And by the way, many policies now specifically EXCLUDE claims related to pandemics...which is another reason folks need to carefully read policies (and the fine print) before making a decision.  Another option is to call a very knowledgeable insurance broker (they deal with many different insurance companies and policies) and discuss your needs.  One expert that has received some good coverage here on CC is Steve Dasseos from the "Trip Insurance Store."  I have never personally used Steve's services, but we have quite a few friends who have been more then pleased with his advice.  There are also a few web sites (Insuremytrip.com, Squaremouth.com, etc) that let you compare various policies 

One warning.  Having spent a lifetime in the Medical Insurance (government) industry I have some very strong thoughts about most policies sold by cruise lines.  Just about all the cruise line policies offer medical coverage that is INADEQUATE for most folks...although many cruisers do not even think about this issue.  $10,000 or $20,000 in Medical coverage is just not sufficient in the event that you have a major medical event.  One should be looking for policies that offer at least $100,000 of medical coverage.  Keep in mind that if you must cancel a trip the most you lose is the cost of that trip which you were going to spend anyway.  But your potential liability for medical issues is truly unlimited and can quickly bankrupt most folks.  When I had to medically evacuate my wife home from Asia we were lucky to be able to fly her on a commercial flight.  But that single ticket (she needed a lay flat seat) cost us about $10,000 since it was booked at the last minute.  Fortunately, our medical/trip evacuation insurance paid for that ticket.

Hank

• Like 1

Medical insurance is exactly my concern.  I have very good coverage for travelling but with the pandemic we were notified that coverage was ending in March for it.  So who knows how this will resolve?  I think insurance companies will wait and see how this resolves, or if it does?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps they are trying to tell us something (by not offering any travel insurance).

I dunno, 'everybody' says these policies are a gold mine for the companies.  And the one way they might have lost big was this pandemic, but they are citing the fine print to get out of it.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am guilty of being a contrarian where trip insurance is concerned.  Despite traveling up to 6 months a year (and we have been doing this for a long time), DW and I do not buy so-called trip insurance.  Accordingly, I once calculated that we are "up" over $100,000 which represents the money we havesaved by NOT buying trip insurance.  We do purchase an annual Travel Medical policy that is relatively inexpensive but gives us up to $250,000 of medical coverage that is good for all the trips we take over an entire year.  We have chosen to "self insure" both cancellation and interruption (this means we do not buy that kind of insurance) although we do take advantage of the credit card cancellation/interruption benefits offered as part of the higher end Chase credit cards.  And before anyone scoffs at the credit card offerings (which do not cost anything other then the cost of the credit card) we actually collected $10,000 from Chase when DW got injured in Asia and we had to interrupt a long trip to get her back to the USA.

Hank

This is an intriguing approach, but when I have researched it I couldn't find the right coverage.  Could you give the details of the policy you have?  It sounds like a very good one.

• Like 1

Another type of coverage that people should add to the mix:  MedJet evacuation.  MedJet Assist is a mutual company that only offers evacuation insurance.  The cost is very low compared to other trip insurance – and it's even cheaper if bought through AARP.

Before you say 'I already have evacuation coverage as part of my trip insurance,' know this:  trip insurance evacuation coverage lets the insurance company decide whether you need to be evacuated and they also decide where to send you.  They first consult with the local doctor to determine if you can get adequate care where you are – and what doctor is going to say s/he's not up to the job?  Then they send you to the nearest hospital that is 'adequate.'  Is 'adequate' good enough for you?

MedJet Assist, on the other hand, puts you in control.  Once you have been admitted to a hospital 150 miles from your home [in any country, even your own – works for snow birds!], you can tell them to get you out of there – and you tell them which hospital to send you to.  The Covid-19 caveat is that neither they nor anybody else can transport patients while they are actively infected with COVID. But in Hlitner's example above it would have transported his injured wife and himself back to the US.

The combination of a travel medical-only policy, credit card trip coverage [such as it is] and MedJetAssist would be ideal for frequent travelers who are willing to bear a small self-insurance cost, IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is an intriguing approach, but when I have researched it I couldn't find the right coverage.  Could you give the details of the policy you have?  It sounds like a very good one.

Happy to oblige.  For the past few years we have bought the GeoBlue Multi-Trip Trekker policy.  I should mention that this policy is not available in a few States because of typical licensing issues (generally having to do with turf battles).  This policy provides health coverage for the first 70 days of every trip throughout the policy year.  Because of their 70 day limit we actually limit our trips to 70 days which would rule out some trips like a full world cruise.

A couple of years ago DW injured her leg (severely) in Vietnam and we found ourselves relying on this policy.  Our experience, working with their case managers, was very good and once we filed the written claim with lots of back-up documentation we were reimbursed within 3 weeks.  I actually wrote about this episode, in detail, on CC under the Cruise/Travel insurance blog.  Prior to having the GeoBlue policy we used to get an annual policy issued by AMEX (only available to their card holders) which was similar.  But a few years ago AMEX stopped offering the policy which is what drove us to the GeoBlue option.  I would also mention that since CC has featured Steve Dasseos (Trip Insurance Store) his company actually sells this policy or one can simply buy it direct...online.

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Happy to oblige.  For the past few years we have bought the GeoBlue Multi-Trip Trekker policy.  I should mention that this policy is not available in a few States because of typical licensing issues (generally having to do with turf battles).

And there it is:  we live in New York, so GeoBlue says we are not eligible.

24 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

And there it is:  we live in New York, so GeoBlue says we are not eligible.

That is a bummer.  Until about 2 years ago you could buy it in New York but we heard there was some kind of dispute between New York BC/BS and the GeoBlue folks (also part of the BC/BS Network).  In the industry some call it turf battles but it is about some plans wanting to limit competition.   Perhaps it's time to move out of New York State (my birth State) and seek out a place with lower taxes and GeoBlue :).

Hank