Masks probably required

5 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Considering I see Mercedes and Lexus cars in our local food pantry lines (it stretches back to and onto the highway) I will never donate to them. No proof of need required to get the food and most of the people in line have seemingly made bad life choices (thousand dollar phones, tattoos all over the place, aforementioned fancy cars, etc...) and then are expecting others to provide for them (or they are just scammers).

There was an article in the Tampa Tribune about people going to multiple schools where they hand out free food that is supposedly for kids and they turn around and sell it for a profit instead of consuming it. Over 50 families caught doing this (Lord knows how many that haven't been caught and this is just in Tampa.....how many other places does this happen?).

I'm so glad I don't live in your view of the world.  I am certain some people are taking advantage. I am equally certain the vast majority are not. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Lol fair enough. I'll try and refrain tomorrow! 

The only Cuomo worth listening to.

Probably should  put this on the humor thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, broberts said:

Great reasoning, don't help the needy because a few people might be or appear to be taking advantage.

Good enough reason for me. Most people are so-called needy because they fail to prioritize the spending they do in life. They have cable, cell phones, plenty of alcohol, and tattoos galore but supposedly can't feed their own kids? That's there problem, not mine.

I wasn't asking for an affirmation of my beliefs. It doesn't matter who agrees with me or not. What I earn in life stays in my pocket where it belongs (as much as I can that is).

5 hours ago, broberts said:

An odd definition of tyrany: preventing people from harming others. 

Unless someone who knowingly has the virus (or any virus) actively tries to transmit that virus to someone else they are not harming people.

Tyranny is pretending everyone is a terrorist without proof and them treating them as such, again without proof.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I'm so glad I don't live in your view of the world.  I am certain some people are taking advantage. I am equally certain the vast majority are not. 

You are more than welcome to part with your hard earned cash to someone who you feel is deserving if you wish but just because you feel that way does not mean I have to feel that way nor should I have to part with what I have earned in life even just because you feel I should.

8 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

You are more than welcome to part with your hard earned cash to someone who you feel is deserving if you wish but just because you feel that way does not mean I have to feel that way nor should I have to part with what I have earned in life even just because you feel I should.

That must be the worst constructed sentence I have ever read.  In short you appear to be saying, very badly, that you never give to charity but you are happy for me to do so.  I hope you never have cause to regret your lack of compassion towards others.  One day you may need the help of others and they will still be willing to give it.

Edited by Dinglebert

3 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I hope you never have cause to regret your lack of compassion towards others.  One day you may need the help of others and they will still be willing to give it.

I am not picking a fight here, I don't know about the abuse in Scotland but here in the USA, it is rampant. I still give money to some organizations but not to others. Our society now has millions of people on assistance who spend frivolously. It rubbed me the wrong way not long ago when I saw a lady paying for CASES of crab legs with food stamps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

I used to hear that term “working poor” and had no idea what it really meant...till I volunteered at that school and met their children.

I  was the one who received an education.

I met a young man once...a single Dad...waiting for his turn at teacher conference. He was very happy that the school accommodated him having the two conferences on one day because he didn’t have enough gas to get to the school twice and still get back and forth to his job...couldn’t fill up till the next paycheck. He wasn’t complaining ...just expressing his gratitude to the school secretary.

Do you have to make calculations like that? Me neither.

We tried to keep lice kits on hand because they are an unexpected luxury when you live paycheck to paycheck. The school sends the children home, but they are back the next day...because the parent has no babysitter and has to work. There was a backpack program in place to send food home on weekends. Their parents work and often work hard...waiting tables, cleaning houses, doing yard work.

I met many of these parents,...for the most part they were not lazy grifters...this is an area where the good paying jobs went overseas. The mills closed.  They make do with the minimum wage service jobs to live where generations of their families have always lived.

We may not have much virus here now...but economically, many  working poor are really suffering. Please don’t generalize their situation. I used to do that...till I got out of my Bubble and got educated by their reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 8:08 AM, hazence said:

If...you believe in masks...and are going to call people “selfish” for not wearing them...you’d better consider their financial circumstances. Maybe just affording food...especially at this time...is burden ENOUGH! If essential businesses demand masks, then  they need to supply them for free.

In New York State,  it's not the business that require masks, it's state law.

In my community, about an hour outside NYC, there have been many charities, civic groups, community organizations that have been donating masks and organizing food drives for the less fortunate.  Delivering food to those that can't leave the house. High school students sewing masks.  One restaurant has been donating 300 meals a day - every day for the past 6 weeks - to front line workers at testing sites who don't have the time cook or shop.

Even cold and heartless NYC has 7 million masks to give to the poor.

Bottom line: Everyone has access to a mask, scarf or face covering of some kind. Those that don't have one, it's because of their choice.

Sad that in your area, one has to make a choice between eating and being healthy. I guess that is why South Carolina ranks #43 out of 50 in terms of healthy states.

6 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

That must be the worst constructed sentence I have ever read.  In short you appear to be saying, very badly, that you never give to charity but you are happy for me to do so.  I hope you never have cause to regret your lack of compassion towards others.  One day you may need the help of others and they will still be willing to give it.

If I were in an English class I might be worried but alas, the last English class I sat in was 40 years ago. 🙄

One day 🙄 I might be in need of help but would still never ask for or accept it. I prefer honor and integrity over begging and scamming.

1 hour ago, hazence said:

I used to hear that term “working poor” and had no idea what it really meant...till I volunteered at that school and met their children.

I  was the one who received an education.

I met a young man once...a single Dad...waiting for his turn at teacher conference. He was very happy that the school accommodated him having the two conferences on one day because he didn’t have enough gas to get to the school twice and still get back and forth to his job...couldn’t fill up till the next paycheck. He wasn’t complaining ...just expressing his gratitude to the school secretary.

Do you have to make calculations like that? Me neither.

We tried to keep lice kits on hand because they are an unexpected luxury when you live paycheck to paycheck. The school sends the children home, but they are back the next day...because the parent has no babysitter and has to work. There was a backpack program in place to send food home on weekends. Their parents work and often work hard...waiting tables, cleaning houses, doing yard work.

I met many of these parents,...for the most part they were not lazy grifters...this is an area where the good paying jobs went overseas. The mills closed.  They make do with the minimum wage service jobs to live where generations of their families have always lived.

We may not have much virus here now...but economically, many  working poor are really suffering. Please don’t generalize their situation. I used to do that...till I got out of my Bubble and got educated by their reality.

You are quoting the wrong person.  I'm the one in agreement that there really is need out there.  Not the one being blinkered by refusing to see it and calling them cheats.

• Like 1

A horrible outlook on cruises booked June 12th onward:
- Everyone MUST wear a mask while attending the pool. Even in the pool. No dunking below.
- 3 masks per person, stuffed in the door slot with your seapass cards
- No mask removal, even if you want to sip your lattes after buying (no, that's only allowed in your cabins)
- Masks being worn at dinner tables. You are permitted to slightly lift the mask away from your face to move the fork in your mouth
- Masks must be worn at gym while working out (or, the gyms are CLOSED)
- A demerit system for violators (grounded to your cabins for a 24 hr period)

I mean, WHO REALLY, in their right minds, would want any of that....we would rather just stay at home!

Edited by johnjen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

You are quoting the wrong person.  I'm the one in agreement that there really is need out there.  Not the one being blinkered by refusing to see it and calling them cheats.

I just love when people start name calling because someone disagrees with their "opinion".

For the record, I never said that some people didn't have a need. I stated that many people cheat the system (as also stated by others) and I simply don't give a damn about their needs. I didn't put them in their situation and it's not my job to get them out of their situation.

Edited by Computer Nerd

12 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I just love when people start name calling because someone disagrees with their "opinion".

For the record, I never said that some people didn't have a need. I stated that many people cheat the system (as also stated by others) and I simply don't give a damn about their needs. I didn't put them in their situation and it's not my job to get them out of their situation.

Which is why I'm glad I don't know you in person.   I find your lack of compassion for others to be truely sad.   I am equally sure you could not care less what I think.  As long as your alright the world is just fine and dandy.  I'm out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

In New York State,  it's not the business that require masks, it's state law.

In my community, about an hour outside NYC, there have been many charities, civic groups, community organizations that have been donating masks and organizing food drives for the less fortunate.  Delivering food to those that can't leave the house. High school students sewing masks.  One restaurant has been donating 300 meals a day - every day for the past 6 weeks - to front line workers at testing sites who don't have the time cook or shop.

Even cold and heartless NYC has 7 million masks to give to the poor.

Bottom line: Everyone has access to a mask, scarf or face covering of some kind. Those that don't have one, it's because of their choice.

Sad that in your area, one has to make a choice between eating and being healthy. I guess that is why South Carolina ranks #43 out of 50 in terms of healthy states.

We may rank #43 by some experts calculations, but we sure are healthier than most in this pandemic.   😊 Probably the reason our part time NY neighbors have all returned here to hunker down.

Please don’t generalize about what the needy in your area have access to be the needy in rural South Carolina...or what your media assumes about places they never visit. 

C7A06E70-EB6F-4391-8FAE-9FC43CD055F1.jpeg

Edited by hazence
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2020 at 12:46 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Just announced that masks will be required for crew and probably by guests initially and maybe until there is a vaccine. 

Fine with me. I will wear a speedo on my head if that will get me on a ship. 😷

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

A horrible outlook on cruises booked June 12th onward:
- Everyone MUST wear a mask while attending the pool. Even in the pool. No dunking below.
- 3 masks per person, stuffed in the door slot with your seapass cards
- No mask removal, even if you want to sip your lattes after buying (no, that's only allowed in your cabins)
- Masks being worn at dinner tables. You are permitted to slightly lift the mask away from your face to move the fork in your mouth
- Masks must be worn at gym while working out (or, the gyms are CLOSED)
- A demerit system for violators (grounded to your cabins for a 24 hr period)

I mean, WHO REALLY, in their right minds, would want any of that....we would rather just stay at home!

initially I think wearing masks are going to be a requirement to wear on a cruise, with likely exceptions if you are sitting at a restaurant or bar. Disney Springs is implementing a similar rule when they partially open this week. We plan to drive out there next weekend to see what the experience will be like, especially concerning masks and social distancing. 

• Like 1

Honestly, with every day that I visit Cruise Critic, I realize that there are a LOT of people I hope I never have to sail with.

Bad enough to have a less than optimum sailing but to do it with bad people?  I think not....

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

Honestly, with every day that I visit Cruise Critic, I realize that there are a LOT of people I hope I never have to sail with.

Bad enough to have a less than optimum sailing but to do it with bad people?  I think not....

Right. Best we all stay at home then.

35 minutes ago, hazence said:

Probably the reason our part time NY neighbors have all returned here to hunker down.

Could be for the lake views? 😇

36 minutes ago, hazence said:

Please don’t generalize about what the needy in your area have access to be the needy in rural South Carolina...or what your media assumes about places they never visit. 

I don't know what "my" media is. I don't own a news station. Thanks to the intenet, we all have access to the same information.  

I was just responding to your comments about how the needy in your area are faring vs my area. If I got something wrong, please let me know.  

5 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Right. Best we all stay at home then.

Agree.

If cruising returns with the same basic product we've enjoyed previously, with reasonable safety protocol,   I am there.

Otherwise, have enough memories of 1200+ days at sea, all 7 continents and dozens of close friendships to last a lifetime.  If we never are able to sail a day again, of absolutely no consequence.

• Like 1