Masks probably required

4 minutes ago, M&A said:

The ships are not registered in the US, they won't be sailing with rules mandated by federal policy.  The cruise line will have their own rules and can have their own security staff trying to handle customers but I doubt they will enforce things too much.

As has been discussed a few times how do you keep people apart on elevators?  only 2 people per elevator?  that's not going to happen.  Security making sure only 2 people in a hot tub?  Security make sure people in the pools stay 6 feet apart.

How do they handle the tenders?  to get people off the ships and into a port fast they pack them in.  Do they eliminate the tender ports?

I do believe that the CDC will have lots of say for ships sailing out of US ports. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

A lot of food stores have done this pattern of having everyone go in the same direction in the isle and force you to go up and down every isle no matter what.   Lucky enough the shoprite I go to on a regular basis has not done this pattern but the Giant and Weis in my area are doing that pattern.     Very strange if you ask me.   It takes you twice as long to get thru the store.     Food stores have signs and have asked for one family member to the grocery shopping to keep the amount of people in the store to a minimum but last weekend there was a Mother, 3 kids and grandma and they had 3 shopping carts and the kids were clueless how to move around the store then grandma would be stuck in the middle of an isle not knowing what to do.   I held back the urge to tell the Mother to live everyone at home.  Everyone in the store was getting annoyed with this family.    Sad that you cannot even enjoy going to the grocery store anymore.     I can see this happening on cruise ships as some people just cannot follow instructions.

Our ShopRite doesn’t do it but stop and shop does.

35 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I've read many guesses on what will happen on ships, but don't recall anyone suggesting one way directions anywhere in addition to existing places.

Portside to go forward and starboard to go aft. 

If you accidentally walk past your cabin, you'll just have walk around the entire ship.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hazence said:

RCCL knows full well that some people do not follow the rules they have now and they haven’t found the will or way to deal with them.

In the future, they may be sailing with rules mandated by federal policy.  How will they handle customers that refuse to comply?

And what will be their liability if they don’t?

And this is why cruising will be one of the last things to start up.

In the US we can't even get people to obey when to open, then when they open people demonstrate about the right to go in naked ( oops I meant somehow they are okay they have to wear clothes to hide their bodies but refuse to wear a mask ).

Once the world figures out planes/public transportation, return to work in office, back to schools with dorms/cafeterias and then country to country travel, the cruising will have all the answers and be able to cruise.  As you can see cruising is the last thing that will get to any sort of normal, the very very last.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M&A said:

The ships are not registered in the US, they won't be sailing with rules mandated by federal policy.  The cruise line will have their own rules and can have their own security staff trying to handle customers but I doubt they will enforce things too much.

As has been discussed a few times how do you keep people apart on elevators?  only 2 people per elevator?  that's not going to happen.  Security making sure only 2 people in a hot tub?  Security make sure people in the pools stay 6 feet apart.

How do they handle the tenders?  to get people off the ships and into a port fast they pack them in.  Do they eliminate the tender ports?

Foreign airlines are registered outside of the US, guess what, they have to in the end follow the common denominator of rules that will come back for this pandemic.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

If you accidentally walk past your cabin, you'll just have walk around the entire ship.

LOL, you have never been on a ship obviously, or just a little boat, but not a "ship!"

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

LOL, you have never been on a ship obviously, or just a little boat, but not a "ship!"

Well, that's what they make you do on the aircraft carrier during General Quarters. Sucks if you don't get off at the right place!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 20165 said:

for the record, you were responding to my post and i do not have any respiratory issues, or at least as of my last checkup last year.  I was simply stating how uncomfortable i felt in the mask and was feeling a little light headed toward the end of the day. Irregardless to the reason why, my point was wearing a mask would not make for an enjoyable cruise for me and i hope RCL figures out an alternative way of keeping everyone safe.

Thanks for responding.

I only brought it up because after many, many years of annual checkups with no indication of respiratory problems, I visited a pulmonologist for another issue who, after a full examination, said, "oh, by the way, you have Stage 1 CPOD and traces of emphysema."  I had no idea.  And even with that, I was able to hike 3 miles on Sunday in the mountains, wearing a mask the majority of time because there was activity on the trails, and had no instances of light headedness. 

And I totally agree.  Even though we are totally comfortable with masks when needed and believe they should be required,  that is here at the grocery story.  There is no way we are paying money to do that on a cruise ship.

53 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

That means the need for a lot of extra calories on the O class ships. That is why the buffet will have to stay.😊

• Haha 4

On 5/18/2020 at 2:58 PM, lenquixote66 said:

What if you happen to be standing or sitting next to a person who has the virus and just feels the same way as you ?

What does that matter? What if you step in front of a bus on the way to the cruise? What if questions are completely and utterly pointless. Whatever happens, happens and I for one will not shed a tear over living my life how I see fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

And this is why cruising will be one of the last things to start up.

In the US we can't even get people to obey when to open, then when they open people demonstrate about the right to go in naked ( oops I meant somehow they are okay they have to wear clothes to hide their bodies but refuse to wear a mask ).

Once the world figures out planes/public transportation, return to work in office, back to schools with dorms/cafeterias and then country to country travel, the cruising will have all the answers and be able to cruise.  As you can see cruising is the last thing that will get to any sort of normal, the very very last.

Obey what? Recommendations are not lawful orders.

30 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

What does that matter? What if you step in front of a bus on the way to the cruise? What if questions are completely and utterly pointless. Whatever happens, happens and I for one will not shed a tear over living my life how I see fit.

That your right,of course but you are contributing to the possible end of life by ignoring what Dr. Fauci is saying . I personally nearly died more than once and I am not going to do anything reckless. I will be as brief as poaaible.In 1997 I was mugged by a guy with a gun.He had the gun at my forehead,pulled the trigger and it jammed.If it had not I would be in a coffin.On Sept.11,2001 I was scheduled for a job interview at a company in Two World Trade Center at 9:30 AM.The interview was changed a few days before.My friend Barry who workeyd there and set up the appointment died that day.

Edited by lenquixote66

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I'm not an expert but dehydration,low blood pressure, heart disease or possibly inhaling to much carbon dioxide are worth getting checked for.

I wear a full face plastic visor and gloves plus long trousers,coat and shoes when I go to my local UK supermarket.

That will be the new formal wear on ships!  And skimpy String masks for the pool!!  Hehe

• Haha 1

Part of the reason we're in the predicament of this pandemic is the me-me-me mentality of "do what I want" regardless of the impact to others. Many of us see it every day.

While standing at social distance in line at a local landscaping store...one person started talking very loud to tell everyone that they were "idiots for wearing masks and following the instructions of this hoax".

I read about 2 such people just yesterday who were very vocal activists against the recommended protective measures of COVID-19. They're now both fatalities of it. A brutal lesson learned.

So perhaps the "know it all" advice by a few to disregard best practices and recommended travel safety measures will be prohibited to board cruise ships if they don't comply. Likely not 1 tear will be shed by all the the passengers.

There's little doubt that new measures will be taken to maximize the safety of the cruise passengers. So be it. Most folks will do the right thing, the smart thing, the safe thing.

• Like 1

One of the many reasons that requiring masks on cruise ships will be a nightmare.  Way too many nuts out there equating requests by private companies (like no shirt/no shoes/no service)  as anti-freedom.  This happened days ago in Colorado.  Wouldn't be a firearm on a ship but....

Waffle House Cook Shot in Colorado when customer told mask was required.

Edited by ECCruise

20 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

What is the criteria that causes you not being able to place an order ?

They are full and aren't accepting any orders.  Peapod is fulfilled by the Stop and Shop less than 1 mile from where I live.  I stopped going there because the shelves are always empty and it has nothing to do with hoarding or lack of supplies. It's been like that before the pandemic. I think the reason is because they can't restock fast enough do to filling the Peapod orders. Today I went to Guintas Meat Farm. It's more expensive but for the first time in 2 months I was able to get everything I needed in one store in one trip. Their  shelves were stocked even with paper goods so it looks like things are turning around.

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

They are full and aren't accepting any orders.  Peapod is fulfilled by the Stop and Shop less than 1 mile from where I live.  I stopped going there because the shelves are always empty and it has nothing to do with hoarding or lack of supplies. It's been like that before the pandemic. I think the reason is because they can't restock fast enough do to filling the Peapod orders. Today I went to Guintas Meat Farm. It's more expensive but for the first time in 2 months I was able to get everything I needed in one store in one trip. Their  shelves were stocked even with paper goods so it looks like things are turning around.

I thought that the food you order from Peapod comes from a warehouse and not the store where you shop.One of our daughters who also orders from Peapod lives 2 blocks away from the store she shops in.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

I thought that the food you order from Peapod comes from a warehouse and not the store where you shop.One of our daughters who also orders from Peapod lives 2 blocks away from the store she shops in.

Some Stop and Shop stores are designated for fulfillment. If it came from a warehouse there probably wouldn't be so many out of stock items and you would get your entire order.  Online orders from retailers like Walmart and Macy's are filled by the manufacturer if the store doesn't sell the item in the store and the individual branch stores.  Some items also come from a warehouse.  Last year I ordered 2 suits from Macys. The jackets and pants were sold as separates. The order was filled by 4 stores from around the country.  Nothing came from any of the many Macy's on Long Island or Herald Square. Now I know why I can never find my size when I actually go in the store. I just buy everything online now.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

Some Stop and Shop stores are designated for fulfillment. If it came from a warehouse there probably wouldn't be so many out of stock items and you would get your entire order.  Online orders from retailers like Walmart and Macy's are filled by the manufacturer if the store doesn't sell the item in the store and the individual branch stores.  Some items also come from a warehouse.  Last year I ordered 2 suits from Macys. The jackets and pants were sold as separates. The order was filled by 4 stores from around the country.  Nothing came from any of the many Macy's on Long Island or Herald Square. Now I know why I can never find my size when I actually go in the store. I just buy everything online now.

My wife has ordered clothes from Nordstrom’s but I never ordered clothes on line.

I have great difficulty in finding suits because I used to only buy from Tall Men’s stores and aside from one in Manhasset they are all gone. Some are now Big Men stores where a 36” length comes with a 54” waist and mine is 37”.

21 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That your right,of course but you are contributing to the possible end of life by ignoring what Dr. Fauci is saying . I personally nearly died more than once and I am not going to do anything reckless. I will be as brief as poaaible.In 1997 I was mugged by a guy with a gun.He had the gun at my forehead,pulled the trigger and it jammed.If it had not I would be in a coffin.On Sept.11,2001 I was scheduled for a job interview at a company in Two World Trade Center at 9:30 AM.The interview was changed a few days before.My friend Barry who workeyd there and set up the appointment died that day.

100,000 people die on a daily basis in this world for a multitude of reasons. One day it will be my turn and yours as well. IMO, seeing that you escaped almost certain death at one point in your life (and lost a friend as well) I would think you would want to ensure you live life to the fullest but that's just my point of view. There are so many ways one can be killed that it isn't even funny and there is no way to protect yourself from every danger in this world. I have no problem with you living your life the way you see fit without interference from others but I expect the same courtesy as well. When people (in general) start mocking others for not wearing a mask (or whatever) they are not showing that courtesy.

Edited by Computer Nerd
  • Like 6

Well, the CDC has quietly pulled back on another of its protocols. Remember when masks weren’t necessary...then they were. 

Well, now “infection from surfaces“ is being significantly downplayed. The more they learn, the less we seem to have to fear. 

But haven’t we had fun these months wiping down the mail, swabbing every canned vegetable with Lysol wipes and fearing every Amazon delivery! Good Times, CDC!  Good times! 

But bodes well for cruise lines. Constant sanitizing of surfaces by crew in hazmat suits may not be necessary after all.

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has updated its guidelines to stress that the coronavirus "does not spread easily" on contaminated surfaces. 

Yahoo News noted the updates on Tuesday and said health officials had previously warned, “The virus could be transmitted through infected respiratory droplets and by touching infected surfaces and then touching your nose, mouth, and possibly your eyes.” The CDC guidelines now say, "The virus spreads easily between people" but not "from touching surfaces or objects," "from animals to people," or "from people to animals."

The change comes after a German virologist leading the response to the country’s worst-hit areas said in April that he hadn't found evidence the virus could live on surfaces. Dr. Hendrik Streeck reported that a team investigated the home of an infected family and found that it "did not have any live virus on any surface." He told German TV, "There are no proven infections while shopping or at the hairdresser.”

"The virus spreads in other places: the party in Ischgl, the club in Berlin, the football game in Bergamo," he said. "We know it's not a smear infection that is transmitted by touching objects, but that close dancing and exuberant celebrations have led to infection

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hazence said:

Well, the CDC has quietly pulled back on another of its protocols. Remember when masks weren’t necessary...then they were. 

Well, now “infection from surfaces“ is being significantly downplayed. The more they learn, the less we seem to have to fear. 

But haven’t we had fun these months wiping down the mail, swabbing every canned vegetable with Lysol wipes and fearing every Amazon delivery! Good Times, CDC!  Good times! 

But bodes well for cruise lines. Constant sanitizing of surfaces by crew in hazmat suits may not be necessary after all.

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has updated its guidelines to stress that the coronavirus "does not spread easily" on contaminated surfaces. 

Yahoo News noted the updates on Tuesday and said health officials had previously warned, “The virus could be transmitted through infected respiratory droplets and by touching infected surfaces and then touching your nose, mouth, and possibly your eyes.” The CDC guidelines now say, "The virus spreads easily between people" but not "from touching surfaces or objects," "from animals to people," or "from people to animals."

The change comes after a German virologist leading the response to the country’s worst-hit areas said in April that he hadn't found evidence the virus could live on surfaces. Dr. Hendrik Streeck reported that a team investigated the home of an infected family and found that it "did not have any live virus on any surface." He told German TV, "There are no proven infections while shopping or at the hairdresser.”

"The virus spreads in other places: the party in Ischgl, the club in Berlin, the football game in Bergamo," he said. "We know it's not a smear infection that is transmitted by touching objects, but that close dancing and exuberant celebrations have led to infection

Interesting, especially checking the infected family’s home.  I wonder how they Would explain the numerous cases on say, the Diamond Princess, while the guests were isolated in their rooms?     I’m not disputing, just curious.