Is Nautica Refurb June 2020 going ahead ?

On 5/10/2020 at 3:12 PM, Jancruz said:

Right now shipyards are closed no one to refurb

Jancruz1

The Fincantieri yards were starting to reopen as of late April, with expected full ramp-up by end of May / early June...  per this article.

https://www.defensenews.com/coronavirus/2020/04/22/fincantieri-reopens-shipyards-in-italy/

Not sure where the Nautica  refurb was scheduled to take place.

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Could  be  a number of reasons  she is on the move

Taking some crew home to India

getting out  since the number of cases of Covid  has spiked in the past  few weeks in Dubai

Less expensive  dockage fees  elsewhere

Only time will tell

The Canal area is a perfect location for flexible future deployment (as is Oakland for Regatta). Clearly, Oceania is repositioning the fleet for the most efficacious restart in the third and fourth quarters.

I was starting to get concerned about Nautica's extended Dubai stay (which started in early March after our disembarkation). Her next scheduled Dubai departure is in early December and we're on the two prior segments (Athens-Athens-Dubai). So, the move up to the Suez with a better shot at Piraeus is good news.

9 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

The Fincantieri yards were starting to reopen as of late April, with expected full ramp-up by end of May / early June...  per this article.

https://www.defensenews.com/coronavirus/2020/04/22/fincantieri-reopens-shipyards-in-italy/

Spain but I can't remember the Port.

12 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

They will probably  looking at finishing some of the Monster ships  so they can complete the contracts & get some cash flow

Though the refurb is  pricey  but in the grand scheme  probably  not  a big  money maker

JMO

40 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

I think it's more the lack of cash rather than docks that will delay the refurbishment IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I think it's more the lack of cash rather than docks that will delay the refurbishment IMO.

Not sure that is an accurate view.  Fincantieri is Governmentally subsidized with an eye to keeping Italian workers employed.

They likely dispense credit with a trowel rather than a teaspoon.  

Based on the Worldwide Situation, I would venture to say that they are likely begging Cruise Lines for their business.

Edited by StanandJim

46 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Not sure that is an accurate view.  Fincantieri is Governmentally subsidized with an eye to keeping Italian workers employed.

They likely dispense credit with a trowel rather than a teaspoon.  

Based on the Worldwide Situation, I would venture to say that they are likely begging Cruise Lines for their business.

Fincatieri isn't exactly begging for business. They have a large backlog of new ship orders. Per their 2019 annual report they have 98 vessels in their order book, with the backlog having a value of 32.7 billion euro. If you were to order a new ship today it wouldn't be completed for several years.

Note: Not all of the orders are for cruise ships, but we know that many are, including significant orders from NCLH for all three of its cruise lines, as well as MSC, Viking, Carnival Corp. and Ponant.

The real question is in light of the effect of the pandemic on cruise line profitability...even cruise line viability...for the foreseeable future, will many of those new ship orders be cancelled? I have to believe construction will at a minimum be postponed until the cruise lines have a better grasp of what the post-pandemic demand for their product will be.

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

I am sure that they are but what are the cruise lines going to use to pay with for this service?

One thing they seem to guard more than anything else is cash and acquiring more debt/loans until they have an actual income.

The Nautica OceaniaNEXT refit would have been scheduled well in advance and does not require a shipyard ‘dry-dock’.

The new cabin interiors and public area updates would also have been made prior to the shut-down and at least partially paid for well in advance ... perhaps as much as 70%.

IMO, everything is/will be there ... so just waiting for the ship ... and will go ahead.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, RJ2002 said:

When I talked to the boss last week he told me the ship yards are still closed..

Jancruz1

I understand plan was for Nautica to be refurbished at Marseille June 8-21 - possibly it's current location (heading into Red Sea)  after leaving Dubai suggests this may be going ahead. 

Nautica refurb Marseilles.jpg

Edited by the_travel_locks

We were on her last cruise and the plan still held, she was at anchor in Dubai due to sail for Rome 19th May. She left as planned early this morning, guess she will still be scheduled for refurb as this was already committed to by the company. I imagine there will be penalties to pay if they cancel. We are booked to sail on sierena July 30th but doubt this will go ahead as it is around Italy, flights too and from will be difficult, not to mention health insurance 

35 minutes ago, Flightpath2 said:

We were on her last cruise and the plan still held, she was at anchor in Dubai due to sail for Rome 19th May. She left as planned early this morning, guess she will still be scheduled for refurb as this was already committed to by the company. I imagine there will be penalties to pay if they cancel. We are booked to sail on sierena July 30th but doubt this will go ahead as it is around Italy, flights too and from will be difficult, not to mention health insurance 

We were on the February cruise that ended in Dubai too.

My understanding is that Nautica departed Dubai last week - repositioning to the Suez Canal, which would be a most advantageous location for flexible deployment depending on whatever.

FWIW, the CNDM yards in Marseille started ramping up back to work last week too.

Fingers crossed! We'll do two Nautica segments in November (Athens-Athens-Dubai). We're keeping our eye on Port of Piraeus.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen pictures of the color scheme being used for the cabins on the Nautica? Hope it isn’t  the cold modern gray colors that seem to be the current trend in home furnishings! We prefer more traditional  and warm colors

36 minutes ago, jeanine said:

Has anyone seen pictures of the color scheme being used for the cabins on the Nautica? Hope it isn’t  the cold modern gray colors that seem to be the current trend in home furnishings! We prefer more traditional  and warm colors

Google Oceania NEXT and search for the video that covers the entire decor. In the meantime, here's a look at an A/B Veranda cabin on the other R Ships (I doubt it will change for Nautica):

IMG_4816.JP2

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

25 minutes ago, jeanine said:

Thank you for the pic! Looks like a lot of gray! Not loving it. Too bad!

Actually, quite an improvement over the previous woodsy look IMO. But, more importantly, you'll find much more useful storage, device chargers, On Demand entertainment, shower doors(!) and the same heavenly beds!

We experienced the new look on Regatta this past year, and thought it was very nice.  Lots of hard work involved in the refurb.  The GM presented a very interested video of the transformation.

21 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

We experienced the new look on Regatta this past year, and thought it was very nice.  Lots of hard work involved in the refurb.  The GM presented a very interested video of the transformation.

*interesting* video

On 5/24/2020 at 5:03 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, quite an improvement over the previous woodsy look IMO. But, more importantly, you'll find much more useful storage, device chargers, On Demand entertainment, shower doors(!) and the same heavenly beds!

Looking forward to it.  From the pictures I think the light and airy blue/grey really brings the ocean feel right into the room too.

Fingers crossed Nautica is still going ahead with the planned June refurb .