Is Nautica Refurb June 2020 going ahead ?

I see from the current cruise schedule for next year that Nautica has sailings scheduled right through June and July.  While there are doubts as to when cruising will resume in Europe, this does suggest that the previously identified window in July 2021 for the 'NEXT' refit might no longer be the case.

8 hours ago, rialannah said:

I see from the current cruise schedule for next year that Nautica has sailings scheduled right through June and July.

The scheduled drydock will be from 18th July to 4th August.

Although there are sailings scheduled, but the two voyages in late July have all categories being waitlisted.

18 Jul - 28 Jul (10 nights), Lisbon to Rome

28 Jul - 04 Aug (7 nights), Rome to Monte Carlo

22 hours ago, Cruise Wonderland said:

The scheduled drydock will be from 18th July to 4th August.

Although there are sailings scheduled, but the two voyages in late July have all categories being waitlisted.

18 Jul - 28 Jul (10 nights), Lisbon to Rome

28 Jul - 04 Aug (7 nights), Rome to Monte Carlo

Good call.  I was reacting just on the basis of the cruises listed in the just received Oceania promotion for the Mediterranean and completely forgot to check the cabin status shown for those cruises.  I hope the indicator remains reliable and that the dry dock proceeeds.

• 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, ohmark said:

Any further updates on Next refit? Thanks

I’m supposed to be on an Oceania Webinar next week. I’ll see if I can ask the question; and if they will answer. 

Would be nice if Jancruz would find out for us and reveal the information.

Last update from O was it was happening this summer.

Last update was it was not scheduled yet.. Per Jancruz on 10 March...

Next "official" drydock is 2023 where people were notified of Nautica being disembarked in Barcelona on 6/19/23.  This would be its regular maintenance dry dock since last one was in 2020.

Three brochures that I received in the mail earlier this month all state that suites and staterooms are entirely new on all four smaller ships, including Nautica.  If they are not planning to do the refit on Nautica until 2023, it would be nice if they changed the wording in the brochures.

• Like 1

We are on the Nautica in October, I asked about the refit a couple of months ago and was informed that it would be done probably this June, and in plenty of time for our Cruise - I asked them again today and now informed that it has been put back to 2023 to which I expressed my disappointment as it was one of the reasons that we booked this ship, not to have a shower curtain on a supposedly five star ship like an old ferry.!

9 minutes ago, ARDXXX said:

I expressed my disappointment as it was one of the reasons that we booked this ship, not to have a shower curtain on a supposedly five star ship like an old ferry.!

I would not class the R ships as 5*   before or after the refurb

JMO

18 minutes ago, ARDXXX said:

We are on the Nautica in October, I asked about the refit a couple of months ago and was informed that it would be done probably this June, and in plenty of time for our Cruise - I asked them again today and now informed that it has been put back to 2023 to which I expressed my disappointment as it was one of the reasons that we booked this ship, not to have a shower curtain on a supposedly five star ship like an old ferry.!

Reviews of the refurb showers on the R-ships are mixed.  Nice not to have the shower curtain cling, but many bumped elbows :classic_ohmy:

53 minutes ago, ARDXXX said:

Nautica- hardly an old ferry. We were on its last cruise before the cruise industry came to a grinding halt. And she was in great shape.

17 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Perhaps they are hoping Azamara may want it for a 5th ship ?

They might, but Oceania has been saying adamantly that they are happy with all four of their R-ships.  I think Azamara's new owners are happy to have rounded out their R-ship fleet to match Oceania's; future expansion should be, again like Oceania, with new builds.

• Thanks 1

The delay in the refurb of Nautica is really disappointing.  2023 will be way past time.  It is interesting to note the (misleading) small print in the recent 'Delights of the Mediterranean' brochure where the pictures of Sirena and Nautica on page 39 are the NEXT version with a note at the bottom of the page "Nautica's Re-inspiration coming soon."  Obviously soon is subject to quite different understandings!

1 hour ago, rialannah said:

The delay in the refurb of Nautica is really disappointing.  2023 will be way past time.  It is interesting to note the (misleading) small print in the recent 'Delights of the Mediterranean' brochure where the pictures of Sirena and Nautica on page 39 are the NEXT version with a note at the bottom of the page "Nautica's Re-inspiration coming soon."  Obviously soon is subject to quite different understandings!

If you’re that unhappy, take advantage of the Travelers Assurance Program and transfer to a different ship.

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They might, but Oceania has been saying adamantly that they are happy with all four of their R-ships.  I think Azamara's new owners are happy to have rounded out their R-ship fleet to match Oceania's; future expansion should be, again like Oceania, with new builds.

Perhaps. 
Azamara’s new owners have zero experience in the maritime industry. And, even though they’re smart enough to figure it out (as they have with other varying operations), I don’t see them spending the kind of money a new build would take.

If anything, let them do their own NEXT makeovers and, once they’re tired of the new toys, O will be able to “cherry pick” the best of the bunch.
R ships have plenty of life left in them and they have a very strong following among O regulars (including us).

As for O builds past the two Allura class ships, I could see one or two expedition ships 👀

7 hours ago, Jancruz said:

ROTFL

Jancruz1

Jan

Your quality advice/information is always greatly respected and appreciated.  I know that you have commented on this previously, but are you able to to confirm the accuracy (or otherwise) of the 2023 date.  Our interest stems from an extended cruise booked on Nautica in 2022.  We are R ship fans.

Thanks   Mike

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Is Nautica staying in the Med this year ?

The website appears to show all Dubai & Africa cruises fully waitlisted.

We’re booked in Nov. Istanbul-Dubai. Waiting.

Oceania has announced that the Nautica will resume sailing after its Next upgrade, and if that is scheduled in June 2023, then there is your answer. 

OTH, how many cruises can NCLH cancel and continue to survive? If O cancels our November and January 22 cruises, along with ATW 22, we’re immediately canceling everything else and praying we get our money back. How long will fools keep sending in deposits to a cruise line with all their ships in cold storage? 

Sail or Perish is approaching with the hemorrhaging of cash. 

Will they sail? Only time will tell. Remember, ole Bernie Madoff keep his Ponzi scheme going for years until it didn’t. Come September, Gotta new ship you can only see computer graphics on. Want to send me money now to sail on her in two years? Forget about us not sailing now, just send money today. Right!!!

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

....Come September, Gotta new ship you can only see computer graphics on. Want to send me money now to sail on her in two years? Forget about us not sailing now, just send money today. Right!!!

FWIW, Fincantieri’s just issued 2020 annual report states that they’ve had no cancellations of new cruise ship build’s (which includes Vista).

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, the_travel_locks said:

I see that Nautica sailed to Piombino a couple of weeks back and has been docked there ever since. Wonder if it is undergoing a refurb  as we speak?

Much as I wish that were the case, Nautica has been in and out of Piombino since the beginning of May. She docks for a few days then leaves for a quick sail then returns.