Detour from covid and refunds-what’s the funniest thing you’ve seen on a cruise

iggyc

A long, long time ago I work on the Cunard / NAC Sagafjord. A new guy on the 'night gang' was told to clean the lifts. So, he called the lifts on verandah deck and cleaned and hoovered them thoroughly. Then, he walked down the stairs one deck, called the lifts - and cleaned and hoovered them thoroughly. Then, he walked down the stairs again - called the lifts ..............

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

People do what is customary for them in their culture.  Rinsing  hands in a stream of water isn't bad compared to some other behavior.  Now, if she took out her soap...that would have been really funny.

BUT she was on a cruise ship, for other people's sake!

If it had been a year later - or nowadays, the staff would have closed that area for deep sanitizing and cleansing. 

God knew what her hands had been before she used the foundation water to wash her hands!

DH did mention her to some officers.

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

If it had been a year later - or nowadays, the staff would have closed that area for deep sanitizing and cleansing. 

God knew what her hands had been before she used the foundation water to wash her hands!

I understand...but she wasn't touching the tap and the water wasn't being recycled into drinking water.  Really....no harm and she must have thought that was the purpose.  I remember when I went to Paris...about 55 years ago....and I had no idea what the bidet was for or how to use it.

3 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I understand...but she wasn't touching the tap and the water wasn't being recycled into drinking water.  

Water splashing on her dirty hands sprayed onto other aspects of the area, plus she touched the button ....

Of course, it's a common sense, this is a big no-no on cruise ships with thousands of people.

Edited by bluesea777

3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Water splashing on her dirty hands sprayed onto other aspects of the area, plus she touched the button ....

Of course, it's a common sense, this is a big no-no on cruise ships with thousands of people.

Her hands were probably no dirtier than anyone else's hands..... probably even cleaner because she knew to wash them.   The nice thing to do is point out to her that it's not allowed.  

Cat fight at a formal wedding in the atrium...evidently someone slept with someone they weren't supposed to.  

I wasn't personally there but a friend of mine who was a Glacier Bay park ranger got assigned to a nude cruise.  The rangers pretty much spent the day looking at the ground...

Sea day afternoon, pool deck on a Carnival cruise.  The cruise director called for volunteers, 5 men and 5 women, without telling them what they had to do.   When he had the brave volunteers, he told them each team had a short period to time to put together a water ballet, and the rest of us would pick the winning team.   The men won by a landslide (loud applause), doing a number to the Titanic theme song.   They started at the top of the stairs on the deck above the pool, descended with much drama, and continued the hilarious movements upon jumping into the pool and doing their synchronized cavorting in the water.   We laughed harder at that than we have at any of the onboard comedy shows.  

• Haha 2

On 5/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, bluesea777 said:

You sound like a delightful couple.  im surprised you didnt have the lady arrested, karen 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

You sound like a delightful couple.  im surprised you didnt have the lady arrested, karen 

On 5/9/2020 at 7:45 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

Her hands were probably no dirtier than anyone else's hands..... probably even cleaner because she knew to wash them.   The nice thing to do is point out to her that it's not allowed.  

Well, it was quite comical seeing the lady using the water out of the DRINK foundation to wash her hands with rather than going to the rest room to do so. Yes, we KNEW about the chinese culture but still it was interesting seeing her doing so like that out in the western world. The water out of the foundation was for drinking, not for washing hands, period. 

The Officer that DH spoke to (with humour), related the story to his staff and they all thought it was amusing.

Now that the Spirit has undergone dry dock ... they installed washing basins at entrance to the Garden Cafe. We saw the officer again 2 months ago and he remembered the story.

Ms Tabby Kats: I think you need to realize her hands were dirtier than anyone else's hands before she used the foundation water to clean her hands .... this was why I said so:

On 5/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, bluesea777 said:

seaman11: sorry to say (to you) we are delightful couple - and we do have sense of humour.

🤷‍♀️✌️😎👌🙃

Lighten up people. The point of this topic is to spread humor and happy thoughts. There is so much negativity let’s spread some joy

i have so many great cruise memories and I’m sure you do too. Let’s share them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2020 at 1:12 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

People do what is customary for them in their culture.  Rinsing  hands in a stream of water isn't bad compared to some other behavior.  Now, if she took out her soap...that would have been really funny.

Yes, I'm sure some of the things we did in China gave the locals something to puzzle over a time or two.  Example - it took us a few tries to realize we were supposed to peel the outer layer off watermelon seeds before trying to chew them.  Also, when we offered bananas to people in Eastern Europe years ago they had never had one and tried to eat it with the peel still on. 

We were not actually on a ship but I had a humorous conversation on the phone once while trying to book one.  The website was very glitchy that day.  I was wanting to book a cruise for October but all it would show was the dates for that particular cruise in the summer.  I knew the sail date existed and the website was just being flakey so I called.  The call center rep was having trouble too.  Her solution was to ask me, "Well, can't you just go in the summer instead?" 

• Like 2

One of the most hilarious moments for me was at the love and marriage/newlywed game. There was a couple that had been married for 60 years, had kids and grand kids in the audience along with other family members. They were hilarious from start to finish and also got to pick on some of the family in attendance. 

I cannot fathom hearing my grandparents talk about all the different places they "made whoopie" (they had to list multiple spots due to how long they had been married)

• Like 1

On the Pearl a few years ago. We were on the upper deck overlooking the pool. DW spotted a woman with the cover they place on the foot of the bed for luggage wrapped around her bathing suit.

Not seen but experienced: I was in the cigar lounge on the Dawn. Struck up a conversation with an older woman who chain-smoked and had a never empty wineglass. Her husband made one appearance early then disappeared. As we talked she would reach out and touch my knee periodically.  She made a point of telling me she had a bottle of very fine Port in her stateroom. When I Went back to my cabin, I told DW that I just met someone who wanted me to be her third husband.

On the last night I was once again in the cigar lounge and she was there. She told me she had seen me in the spa  and Cagney's  several times without my wife. I told her that my wife had always been in attendance. She then said "I've had my eyes on you."  Gulp!!

It's hard to narrow down to the best.

We were on Oasis and favor the forward Solarium.  It too hot, we'd go to the starboard side and get 2 loungers backed up to the shade for a couple of hours and actually would nap for an hour (I also would have a good Bloody Mary beforehand).  Day after day, the same, as well as 3 couples from Toronto, who we then enjoyed.  

One day, while "reclined," I hear my name being jibed by a couple of the Toronto guys.  So, I sat up and opened my eyes.  In front of the lounger directly next to me, a 70+ year old lady (European), tall and 'healthy, was bending over after taking off her pants and underwear to put on her swimwear.

Seriously.  She was totally bent over while standing and reaching towards her feet to get her swimwear started.

I didn't need to see that.  😲😁

My wife and the Toronto "trio" had towels over their faces laughing to the point of tears.

I had to go get another Bloody Mary. 😳

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

It's hard to narrow down to the best.

We were on Oasis and favor the forward Solarium.  It too hot, we'd go to the starboard side and get 2 loungers backed up to the shade for a couple of hours and actually would nap for an hour (I also would have a good Bloody Mary beforehand).  Day after day, the same, as well as 3 couples from Toronto, who we then enjoyed.  

One day, while "reclined," I hear my name being jibed by a couple of the Toronto guys.  So, I sat up and opened my eyes.  In front of the lounger directly next to me, a 70+ year old lady (European), tall and 'healthy, was bending over after taking off her pants and underwear to put on her swimwear.

Seriously.  She was totally bent over while standing and reaching towards her feet to get her swimwear started.

I didn't need to see that.  😲😁

My wife and the Toronto "trio" had towels over their faces laughing to the point of tears.

I had to go get another Bloody Mary. 😳

I think your story wins the prize!  Also liked the one about the couple closing the elevator door to escape their kids.  My DH and I have a big family and we used to have a little ritual on boarding day.  We would look for our "secret hiding spot"  that we'd use for the rest of the cruise to have some "just us" time.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:41 PM, krittykat said:

My husband went to a conference at a hotel that was also having a furry convention. It was an eye opening for him...lol. He certainly got an education

I seen them on a tv show once.  I looked it up on the internet because I didn't believe that they were actually true.   Yes, it is!

7 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

I think your story wins the prize!  Also liked the one about the couple closing the elevator door to escape their kids.  My DH and I have a big family and we used to have a little ritual on boarding day.  We would look for our "secret hiding spot"  that we'd use for the rest of the cruise to have some "just us" time.

Thank you.  There are more that are more typical.

On that exact cruise (a B2B), for those familiar with the automatic doors that open to that side of forward near the Solarium, there is a two-sided glass windscreen - forward facing section and starboard facing section.

It is maintained spotlessly by the crew.  And that could have been the problem.

A couple, about in their 50's, came out through the automatic doors at a pretty good pace, holding drinks, she was leading and talking to him.  She walked "full gait" into the starboard facing glass, hit face first hard and went down.

Her husband quickly picked her up and she regained her composure (quickly looking around to see if anyone saw what happened).  Once we saw she was OK, the towels went up over our faces to hide the giggles.

Of note, she did not spill her drink.  😲😁

We didn't think it was her first drink of the day. 🤣

They must have complained as the next day there was a blue tape large "X" in the middle of the glass.

One cruise while waiting to board I was reading the Freestyle and it said there was going to be a service dog on our sailing which I hadn't seen before. It was providing various warning that it was a service animal and shouldn't be interfered with. After I boarded I noticed a woman pushing a baby carriage with a tiny dog in it. Obviously this dog was more in the comfort animal category. Later in the cruise I was looking at pictures from formal night and there on display was a photo of the woman and the dog. The dog had a diamond necklace on. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 3:14 AM, cruisequeen4ever said:

We were by the pool on a Med cruise when we saw an elderly, obese lady start to disrobe outside the hot tub. She left her see-through white bra and granny panties on and got in the hot tub. 🤦‍♀️

Luckily she kept her underwear on.

• Like 1