Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

55 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

SusieQft is new to the Regent board and is still learning.  It is somewhat like going onto a different cruise's ship.  When we first stepped onto a Silversea ship, we needed some time to learn the culture and how things were done (we went on to do 2 more Silversea cruises - really like that cruise line).  The same was true when we sailed on Crystal last year.   The culture and onboard experience was quite different than Regent.  It was a nice experience but we strongly prefer Regent.

Sounds condescending and totally unwarranted to me.  Might as well pat her on the head and tell her she will eventually learn something and be somebody someday.  

What difference does it make if she or anyone else new to the Regent board posts on this board?  It is one thing to disagree with specifics of a post, but trying to broadly undermine a poster's credibility simply because the poster is new to this board or hasn't sailed on Regent before is unwarranted. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

CruisetheCs-

What difference does it make if she or anyoneelse new to the Regent board posts on this board?”

Because there is only one opinion that matters on this board and it must be the “last word”.  (Hiding behind the mask)

Edited by pdaniel
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, CruisetheCs said:

Sounds condescending and totally unwarranted to me.  Might as well pat her on the head and tell her she will eventually learn something and be somebody someday.  

What difference does it make if she or anyone else new to the Regent board posts on this board?  It is one thing to disagree with specifics of a post, but trying to broadly undermine a poster's credibility simply because the poster is new to this board or hasn't sailed on Regent before is unwarranted. 

First, I am not virtually patting anyone on the head and waiting for them to "eventually learn something and be somebody someday".  That is rude!  However, for anyone to argue with any Regent passenger that has experience with Regent and has some understanding of how Regent works, makes no sense.  Prior to my cruise on Crystal (and other cruise lines), I did not jump in and act as if I knew everything about the cruise line.  I asked questions - tried to figure out why they were doing certain things. I did not assume to know anything.  

Just this past week our September cruise on Celebrity was canceled (for those that know me - we have been doing mini West Coast cruises on various cruise lines for the past 2 years.  We were hoping to return to Celebrity for a 5 night cruise out of Vancouver in a top suite.  We were not hearing anything from Celebrity so I asked questions on the Celebrity board (this can be verified by checking out Roll Call for the September 20 

I can't believe that after receiving a cancelation letter from Celebrity last week, we received a bill from them for final payment this week. I mention this because I did not express my displeasure on the Celebrity board as I know very little about how Celebrity works so it would not be fair to criticize.

The discussion that was interrupted was between "Mr. Levin" and myself.  It had to do with how the current CEO of NCLH was handling Regent.  "Mr. Levin" mentioned Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn and I responded to him.  Suddenly, we had three people from the Crystal board (I checked only because they do not typically post on the Regent board) in the middle of the discussion.  I'm not sure how to respond to posters that have never dealt with NCLH or Regent Corporate.  If their opinion was based on experience, of course it would make sense but, in this case it did not.

One poster indicated that they would continue to defend Crystal if it were brought up on this board.  Even you must admit that this is highly unusual.  It was that comment that precipitated my rant.  If there is anywhere where Regent posters should feel safe to discuss anything cruise related (including positive or negative experiences with other cruise lines), it should be here.  

Having said that, if posters would prefer that I respond only to specific posts, I will be happy to do so.  This does not change my opinion that people that have not sailed on Regent or have dealt with Corporate or top management of NCLH likely are not familiar with some of these discussions and are reacting to the poster rather than the what is being said.

Finally, I am not questioning the credibility of posters as it pertains to the cruise lines that they have sailed, I do question it when it comes to some topics being discussed here (obviously, some people that have not sailed Regent but were booked on a cruise that is now canceled do understand the issues that they have gone through in the refund process).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwaj girl said:

"Unsafe"? About what?  Posting on these boards... or going out in public...or going on a cruise?  I never felt "un"safe.

Sheila and Kwaj girl - this is just rhetoric - not worth responding to.  There is a reason why I formally "ignore" some posters ....... Most of  us post what we truly believe in and not to spite other posters.  Honesty and truth always wins out in the end.    

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sheila and Kwaj girl - this is just rhetoric - not worth responding to.  There is a reason why I formally "ignore" some posters ....... Most of  us post what we truly believe in and not to spite other posters.  Honesty and truth always wins out in the end.    

Like I said...confused as to what was meant by "unsafe."  Was not clear to me.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Like I said...confused as to what was meant by "unsafe."  Was not clear to me.

Sorry - I could not "see" that post.  Since the topic of this thread is 2020 cruises, are you booked on any cruises this year?  It was nice meeting you on our cruise last November but it was a really short introduction.  Would enjoy having a cup of coffee with you in the Coffee Connection!

1 hour ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Hey guys

Enough bashing! Let’s keep the postings civil. If you do not like a person’s opinion, write your own. 
sheila

Honesty, no bashing here.  I enjoy reading your posts.  You seem like good folks to cruise with and hope we do some day.  We love Regent and are Platinum with them.

Many of us are appalled by condescending, pretentious posts putting others down.  Treating others with dignity and respect is what we would like to see from everyone, including our most “privileged” poster. 

Just one person’s opinion...

Edited by pdaniel
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sorry - I could not "see" that post.  Since the topic of this thread is 2020 cruises, are you booked on any cruises this year?  It was nice meeting you on our cruise last November but it was a really short introduction.  Would enjoy having a cup of coffee with you in the Coffee Connection!

Our May B2B was of course cancelled. Our next one is '21 WC but if someone who is really "in the know" at Regent could tell me which ship will be the first in the water later this year so to speak, we are ready, willing, and able to jump on it!  My uninformed opinion is that it might be  Mariner .... just to work out the kinks with new procedures before the  WC.

Hope to catch up with you sometime soon.

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Getting back to Crystal for a moment (just a moment as this is the Regent board - not the Crystal board.) They have a sailing in October where the very top suites (the one that we sailed in) is a real bargain.  The only problem for us is that it is Crystal - not Regent.

TC, this was at least your third post about Crystal, and I think it is rather inflammatory.  Yes, you have said before that the top suite on Crystal is not good enough for you, and you are entitled to your opinion.  You often say that if someone posts something negative about Regent, you are compelled to respond and try to (in effect) set them straight.  Am I not allowed to defend Crystal when YOU bring it up, regardless of where you do it?  Perhaps not, since I do not expect to ever sail in the top suite on either line?

Although this Crystal offer is very tempting.  Maybe I should cancel my October Regent cruise and book the Crystal Penthouse in the Caribbean instead.  😉  I will not be doing that, though, if for no other reason than that I can drive to LA. 

Hopefully I will soon have the opportunity to sail on Regent and then perhaps I will be able to make valid posts here.  Meanwhile, as I said before, if you continue to bash Crystal on the Regent forum I will probably feel compelled to respond in the same place.  We can continue to discuss this at greater length if you wish, or not.  We are both like a dog with a bone, and it is hard to let go.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My only response to the last post is that I did not say that the Crystal Penthouse was not good enough for us.  You can do a search on the Crystal board if you are interested in our review.  You are making assumptions that are incorrect.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, pdaniel said:

“SusieQft is new to the Regent board and is still learning”  What a pretentious post!

LOL!!! I thought I was overreacting when I first read that, guess not as I felt the same as you. Anyway, what's there to "learn" ?  Whats the big deal about being new to this board? It's not as if the subject is astrophysics.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

This quote from you is what  they're referring to :

"If there is anywhere where Regent posters should feel safe to discuss anything cruise related (including positive or negative experiences with other cruise lines), it should be here.  "

Yes, it confuses me too... Who doesnt feel "safe" here? Who or what could they be afraid of? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

This quote from you is what  they're referring to :

"If there is anywhere where Regent posters should feel safe to discuss anything cruise related (including positive or negative experiences with other cruise lines), it should be here.  "

Yes, it confuses me too... Who doesnt feel "safe" here? Who or what could they be afraid of? 

Safe from harassment that occurred when I posted a couple of things about Crystal.  Marc and  I were having one of our debates about whether NCLH is doing a great job or a poor job.  He brought up Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn and how far in advance they have cancelled cruises.  I felt (and still feel) that these cruise lines could be losing revenue by jumping the gun (meaning they will be refunding cruises for months when the CDC may decide that it is okay to sail again).  

In the middle of the discussion, I was chastised for discussing Crystal and then posters showed up from the Crystal board and the thread became a mess.  That is it in a nutshell (your can see how this played out on the previous page.

The statement that you felt was condescending was actually a way of stating what I wanted to post in a nice way.  What I wanted to say was much harsher but I do not want to stoop to the level of people that attack posters on a personal level.  

The one lesson learned here is to ignore personal attacks rather than try to explain yourself as the same posters will continue the behavior - no matter what is posted (and I have taken pro-active steps to insure that I do not see and therefore do not react to these attacks).

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

@SusieQft, I thought your post was cogent and reasonable.  I was, sadly, not surprised when it received such a condescending, ad hominem response.  I hope to continue to read your takes on cruise travel wherever you choose to post.

And for those readers who may be bemused by various mentions of 'retirement'.  Even I, a lurker at the time, remember when a most prolific poster announced her 'retirement' from the Regent boards. I want to say it was in 2018/2019 or so?  

In any event, the 'retirement' apparently didn't stick.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, greykitty said:

@SusieQft, I thought your post was cogent and reasonable.  I was, sadly, not surprised when it received such a condescending, ad hominem response.  I hope to continue to read your takes on cruise travel wherever you choose to post.

And for those readers who may be bemused by various mentions of 'retirement'.  Even I, a lurker at the time, remember when a most prolific poster announced her 'retirement' from the Regent boards. I want to say it was in 2018/2019 or so?  

In any event, the 'retirement' apparently didn't stick.  

Can we all just get back to this forum's topic?  You remember, 2020 cruises with Regent?

• Thanks 1

Sure - I'll bet the next round of cancellations will be announced within five working days.  I also suspect that NCLH and its subs will not follow the lead of lines like Disney and Cunard and announce several months' cancellation at a time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Honesty and truth always wins out in the end.    

Truth is not the same as opinion and there are no winners or losers with opinions. There is only one truth but there are many opinions. No one person has the truth all the time but we all have opinions. We may not agree with an opinion but someone's opinion just needs to be accepted as that and not always countered. Everyone needs to pick their battles for a healthy debate and not engage on all opinions infinitum. Just my opinion.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1