Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

52 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

RCLH stock fell 14.42% today.

And a ton yesterday.....but the high was $26.86 and if you bought the last time we had this conversation you made over 200% easy. Don't worry, you will get another shot just maybe not too soon. It has moved out of its standard cycle. Now it is a race between clean cruising and the 2nd wave this Fall.

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

And a ton yesterday.....but the high was $26.86 and if you bought the last time we had this conversation you made over 200% easy. Don't worry, you will get another shot just maybe not too soon. It has moved out of its standard cycle. Now it is a race between clean cruising and the 2nd wave this Fall.

No thanks on the stock tip. 

2 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

No thanks on the stock tip. 

I didn't give you a tip but here is one just for you....don't buy stocks based on internet forums.

My Regent info is solid though. I will keep helping you out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The government of Canada has abruptly ended the possibility of a Canadian summer cruise season with the announcement that it is banning all large cruise ships that carry more than 100 people until Oct 31, 2020. The drastic measure is part of a series of travel bans that reflect Canada’s continued efforts to try to stop the spread of the coronavirus. I saw where Crystal has officially cancelled all of their Alaskan and New England/Canada cruises for 2020. Regent has their comparative cruises officially wait listed. Time for Regent to come clean and cancel these trips as well.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I didn't give you a tip but here is one just for you....don't buy stocks based on internet forums.

My Regent info is solid though. I will keep helping you out.

I would never buy stocks based on any non professional investment  person even if they were my friends. I sincerely hope you do well with NCLH, I really do. It’s a risk but with potentially  good returns if the cruise industry comes out of this within the next year. THE virus will have a lot to say about that. Unfortunately here in Texas we are hitting all time highs for positive cases and hospital stays. People are starting to get concerned about where this is going. if COVID comes back with a vengeance very few companies will do well from a stock market perspective. 
You have provided good info on Regent as far as their policy and operational thoughts. 

Thank you - currently holding 100 shares for OBC.

The easy pickings in the market over the past 3 months are over. Time to sit on cash and wait for it to adjust for real. The rally we just saw was, IMO, a bear trap.

Stay safe - I enjoy the discourse!

Pcardad - trying to get this back on topic...... I just read about the cruise lines  meeting with the CDC that is scheduled for "Thursday" (could be today - no date given).   The article does not know what the meeting will reveal and feels that it could be about repatriation of the crew rather than whether or not the "no sail" deadline will be extended.  Have you heard anything about this meeting?

Thanks much!

Crystal is selling NEW bargain basement Caribbean itineraries for as low as $1399 per week (for outside cabin, 412 sq ft penthouse is $1999).   That means that Silversea, Seabourn, and Crystal have all established schedules for individual ships that are not cookie cutter month at a time cancellations from their parent company.   When will Regent be able to act independently of the other two NCLH brands?  Regent needs to establish realistic schedules so they can start selling these new cruises.

What are you waiting for?!?!

Marc

edited to correct major error pointed out by the mighty Quinn.

Edited by mrlevin

3 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Crystal is selling NEW bargain basement Caribbean itineraries for as low as $1399 per week (I know they have inside cabins, 412 sq ft penthouse is $1999).  

Minor correction.  There are no insides on Crystal.
Outsides from $1399, balcony from $1599, PH from $1999

• Like 3

So what you're saying, Marc, is something I believe I've pointed out.  That at some point the cruise lines will have to scrub cruises and reinvent their schedule for the future.  But I'm sure they're very reluctant to do that, since it will anger customers, and cause a huge new wave of cancellations/fccs/refunds. Or am I missing your point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Crystal is selling NEW bargain basement Caribbean itineraries for as low as $1399 per week (for outside cabin, 412 sq ft penthouse is $1999).   That means that Silversea, Seabourn, and Crystal have all established schedules for individual ships that are not cookie cutter month at a time cancellations from their parent company.   When will Regent be able to act independently of the other two NCLH brands?  Regent needs to establish realistic schedules so they can start selling these new cruises.

What are you waiting for?!?!

Marc

edited to correct major error pointed out by the mighty Quinn.

Regent is selling new cruises.  They do not need to sell their suites for that price.  

In terms of realistic schedules, that is pretty much impossible until they know when cruising will resume.  This also plays into Regent cancelling one or two months at a time.  It doesn't make sense to officially cancel August or September cruises when they do not know if they will resume sailing.  Regent could redo some itineraries and offer them to passengers that are booked on that cruise at a real savings.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to jump the gun.  

In terms of other luxury cruise lines, Regent tends to be a leader - not a follower (they were the first to limit smoking on their ships and the first to relax the dress code - for example).  

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Regent is selling new cruises.  They do not need to sell their suites for that price.  

In terms of realistic schedules, that is pretty much impossible until they know when cruising will resume.  This also plays into Regent cancelling one or two months at a time.  It doesn't make sense to officially cancel August or September cruises when they do not know if they will resume sailing.  Regent could redo some itineraries and offer them to passengers that are booked on that cruise at a real savings.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to jump the gun.  

In terms of other luxury cruise lines, Regent tends to be a leader - not a follower (they were the first to limit smoking on their ships and the first to relax the dress code - for example).  

Whatever.  Aren't my opinions just as important to post as yours?  Why should you criticise me for posting my opinion regarding Regent's lack of initiative?

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Whatever.  Aren't my opinions just as important to post as yours?  Why should you criticise me for posting my opinion regarding Regent's lack of initiative?

I am not criticizing you - I have a different point of view that, as has been pointed out,  is just as important as yours (or visa versa)..  It is up to the people reading the posts look at both sides and determine which view is is closest to what they are thinking?  We are giving them different opinions, different views and different ways of looking at things.  To me this is a positive.  

Note:  I just looked up proposed sailing dates for other luxury lines.  It seems that Seabourn and Silversea are canceling cruises way in advance which is one way of handling things.  Crystal's two ocean going ships will resume in September and October so I assume that they have or will cancel August and one ship for September.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/

Edited by Travelcat2

23 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Sometimes it doesn't pay to jump the gun.

Crystal is not "jumping the gun."  The new Caribbean itineraries are replacing some fall sailings back and forth between NYC and Quebec.   Everyone knows those won't happen, and the fact that Crystal went ahead and cancelled them earlier than they have been speaks to their determination to sail in that time frame if at all possible. 

As for pricing, offering a great bargain also supports their determination to sail.  Regent can keep their prices high because they already/still have the itineraries at least half booked.  Crystal is starting from scratch on these itineraries with a short lead-in and a pandemic going on.  They are not offering anything resembling a bargain on their Med itineraries that already existed but are now offered as shorter segments.

Now that I have figured out how to monitor the vacant rooms, I have been following the occupancy for my Oct. 12 Mariner sailing.  It was 60% booked on 5/20 and 56% booked on 6/7.  Even though Regent already has bookings, it is no guarantee that they will keep them.  If enough people bail, that might tip the scales toward Regent cancelling the sailing, even if they are otherwise ready to go.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Note:  I just looked up proposed sailing dates for other luxury lines.  It seems that Seabourn and Silversea are canceling cruises way in advance which is one way of handling things.  Crystal's two ocean going ships will resume in September and October so I assume that they have or will cancel August and one ship for September.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5206/

So in this case is Regent leading from the rear?  Seabourn, Silversea, and Crystal, all with large Corporate Parents (CCL, RCL, and Genting, respectively) are being proactive in their scheduling of return to sailing whilst Regent tied to the inept management of NCLH is doing nothing.  

Just my two cents plain,

Marc

• Like 2

So, here we go again........ I am a Regent cheerleader, Marc dislikes NCLH and SusieQtf keeps defending Crystal.  Not sure what to do with all of this.

Firstly, it is my opinion that when a cruise line cancels cruises before knowing when cruising will resume, it is jumping the gun a bit.  The cruise lines could be missing out on revenue (or not) - we shall see.

Marc, Regent not canceling cruises through later in the year does not make the a follower.  Actually, they seem to be refusing to follow.  For better or worse, they are doing their own thing.  

Getting back to Crystal for a moment (just a moment as this is the Regent board - not the Crystal board.) They have a sailing in October where the very top suites (the one that we sailed in) is a real bargain.  The only problem for us is that it is Crystal - not Regent.  

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

So, here we go again........ I am a Regent cheerleader, Marc dislikes NCLH and SusieQtf keeps defending Crystal.  Not sure what to do with all of this.

Just accept it.  Everyone has their own viewpoint and you don't have to do anything about it.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

So, why would Regent not cancel Voyager in December? 3 itineraries in South Africa when that country is not allowing cruise ships until Dec. 31? I cancelled my B2B and received my deposits refunded within 3 weeks. I was pleased about that - but why would I pay final payment? It's awfully hard to change ports of call in that area.

• Like 2

TC, I only commented on Crystal because you made what I thought was an unfair remark.  If you continue to do that, I probably will also continue to "defend Crystal."  (I am biting my tongue now about your other new comments, in hopes that you will consider that the "last word" for a while on the subject here on the Regent forum.)

As I pointed out recently, I do think Regent is doing a much better job of processing refunds than Crystal is.  I think I got slammed a bit for that too, even though my remark was in favor of Regent.  

Edited by SusieQft
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

(I am biting my tongue now about your other new comments, in hopes that you will consider that the "last word" for a while on the subject here on the Regent forum.)

Don't bet on it. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Firstly, it is my opinion that when a cruise line cancels cruises before knowing when cruising will resume, it is jumping the gun a bit.  The cruise lines could be missing out on revenue (or not) - we shall see.

Getting back to Crystal for a moment (just a moment as this is the Regent board - not the Crystal board.) They have a sailing in October where the very top suites (the one that we sailed in) is a real bargain.  The only problem for us is that it is Crystal - not Regent.  

I will repeat ... The government of Canada has abruptly ended the possibility of a Canadian summer cruise season with the announcement that it is banning all large cruise ships that carry more than 100 people until Oct 31, 2020.

That means that there will be no Alaska Cruises or US/Canada fall cruises. I don't think it is jumping the gun to cancel these cruises by the cruise lines although Regent is still showing theirs as wait listed. We all know what is going on. I wouldn't call that leadership. That is cash flow management.

As far as Crystal, I enjoy their product very much and I would favorably compare them to Regent and yes, I have sailed on both of them. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either cruise line based on the itinerary that best suits my schedule and destination requirements.

• Like 3

I just received a Regent brochure in the snail mail that was selling Mediterranean cruises in October 2020.  Why waste the money on a brochure selling cruises that likely won't happen.  There are already at least two class action lawsuits against NCLH due to their sales practices earlier this year.  I believe the NCLH Annual Meeting is 18 June, high time that the board take some action to right this (sinking) ship.

Marc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

Just accept it.  Everyone has their own viewpoint and you don't have to do anything about it.

There are different viewpoints and those viewpoints can be debated.  I must admit that trying to discuss or debate Regent with posters from other cruise lines makes it more difficult.  Marc and I have debated the management of Regent for many years - he does not need defending.  Our Regent experiences go back many years (as do our differences) but we generally work it out.

SusieQft is new to the Regent board and is still learning.  It is somewhat like going onto a different cruise's ship.  When we first stepped onto a Silversea ship, we needed some time to learn the culture and how things were done (we went on to do 2 more Silversea cruises - really like that cruise line).  The same was true when we sailed on Crystal last year.   The culture and onboard experience was quite different than Regent.  It was a nice experience but we strongly prefer Regent.

Having said that, the Regent board is typically a safe place to comment on other cruise lines (positively or negatively) without harsh comments from anyone.  Obviously we would NOT go on another cruise lines board to point out negatives about their cruise lines.   Unless there is a specific topic (such as Regent vs. Crystal, Silversea or Seabourn), defending another cruise line rarely happens since this board is about the Regent Experience, Regent's management, Regent's ships, Regent's itineraries, Regent's refunds and everything else that is "Regent".  

Mahogany - one reason to not cancel the cruise is to wait for Regent to do so.  This is necessary if you want 125% OBC's or a cash refund (you can get a cash refund this far out but once November gets a bit closer, there would be a penalty to pay).

Edited by Travelcat2

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

I just received a Regent brochure in the snail mail that was selling Mediterranean cruises in October 2020.  Why waste the money on a brochure selling cruises that likely won't happen.  There are already at least two class action lawsuits against NCLH due to their sales practices earlier this year.  I believe the NCLH Annual Meeting is 18 June, high time that the board take some action to right this (sinking) ship.

Marc

I have no doubt that Mr. Del Rio will be commended for the great job that he has been doing under what is almost impossible circumstances.  Were it not for him, Regent could be a sinking ship.  However, at the moment, it is doing quite well!

• Haha 5