Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

I'm on the bridge cruise, and my husband does not play.  Mornings and afternoons are lessons and  playing.  Evenings some play or go to the entertainment .  I just checked,

our final payment is June 14th.  Restaurants the July date. 

We are scheduled for the Splendor in December.  If we don't get this cruise, I will have the money go toward the Dec. cruise.  I'm not sure if California want's the cruise ship.  They canceled state owned Univ and pro sports for the fall.  I will watch the virus numbers for Mexico.  I do have two tours I want to attend and not play bridge.

Do they do the bridge every day, even when in port?

I had been thinking that the October Mariner cruises have a 50-50 chance, but if California has already decided no sports in that time frame that is not a good sign.

Edited by SusieQft

Regent is like one of those iconic companies out there. I will never believe that they wil go out of business anytime soon. They have great routes, their cabins are nice and service is perfect. Also price-wise I think they are the one who's got the best prices and best deals out there. Please dont take Regent away from us, please!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, merlot101 said:

They canceled state owned Univ and pro sports for the fall.

8 hours ago, SusieQft said:

...but if California has already decided no sports in that time frame that is not a good sign.

I believe that New York, Texas and California have all called for the return of pro sports in early June.  However, in California at least, there probably won't be fans in the stands... at least at this point.  Things are changing daily it seems, with accelerated re-openings and relaxed restrictions.  Not sure about collegiate sports

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/29190501/gov-andrew-cuomo-encourages-ny-teams-reopen

Theme parks like Disneyland, Seaworld, Knots Berry Farm, Legoland, etc. are apparently working on reopening plans now and targeting sometime in June.

As for cruise ships in California ports, or anywhere in the country for that matter, it's my GUESS that there will be some sort of coordinated reopening for all (or most all) US ports - tied with the lifting of the no-sail order.  However, as I say, that's my guess.  We'll see what happens.

21 hours ago, mrlevin said:

You do realize that there is a large bridge group (Regional Tournament) scheduled to be on your cruise, correct?

Edited by jeb_bud
Never mind.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:00 PM, FrequentFloater333 said:

An additional benefit we received following the cancellation (by Regent) of a June cruise on Navigator was a Seven Seas Society credit for the 15 nights we would have accumulated had the cruise not been canceled.  Very classy on Regent's part, I believe.

Did you need to request this or did it just hit your account?  We were scheduled to be sailing today, actually, which of course didn’t happen.  I think it was just a 7 or 10 day cruise, but every night helps...

So I just got my latest promo by email from Regent, which touts Canadian dollars at par specials.

It's kind of laughable--those specials include (by the look of it), most August 2020 sailings.  The Med., northern Europe, and Alaska. September and October appear to be there too.

I doubt any of these will sail, especially August, so why are they promoting them?

23 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

So I just got my latest promo by email from Regent, which touts Canadian dollars at par specials.

It's kind of laughable--those specials include (by the look of it), most August 2020 sailings.  The Med., northern Europe, and Alaska. September and October appear to be there too.

I doubt any of these will sail, especially August, so why are they promoting them?

Another Canada at par!  DRATS!  Another time that my best price guarantee is worthless.

UUNetBill and Pcardad: 

Our experience as to credits for days not-sailed:  Regent canceled our March 14th Splendor San Diego-Miami cruise on the afternoon of March 13th.  We were at the Regent hotel when advised of this situation.  Our March 17th request (through our TA) for a full cash refund was honored on May 22nd. 

I just-checked my Regent account as to status of our--at this point--planned April, 2021 Tokyo-Vancouver Explorer cruise.  That shows being given credit for the 16 days not spent on Splendor.  Every day does count on the slow march to Titanium. 

GOARMY!

2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

What does that mean, Marc?

If you book onboard you get a best price guarantee; that if the price drops you can get the lower price.

EXCEPT

When the lower price is offered to foreigners INCLUDING Canada at par.  You (Canadians) get a 30 - 40% discount but the rest of us still pay the higher price.

Thus, DRATS!

Your friendly southerner,

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

30 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

UUNetBill and Pcardad: 

Our experience as to credits for days not-sailed:  Regent canceled our March 14th Splendor San Diego-Miami cruise on the afternoon of March 13th.  We were at the Regent hotel when advised of this situation.  Our March 17th request (through our TA) for a full cash refund was honored on May 22nd. 

I just-checked my Regent account as to status of our--at this point--planned April, 2021 Tokyo-Vancouver Explorer cruise.  That shows being given credit for the 16 days not spent on Splendor.  Every day does count on the slow march to Titanium. 

GOARMY!

There were a few cruises early on that got special compensation...

13 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

If you book onboard you get a best price guarantee; that if the price drops you can get the lower price.

EXCEPT

When the lower price is offered to foreigners INCLUDING Canada at par.  You (Canadians) get a 30 - 40% discount but the rest of us still pay the higher price.

Thus, DRATS!

Your friendly southerner,

Marc

Right, and right now, if we purchase a "normal" cruise, we pay a 30-40% premium. 

On 5/16/2020 at 8:26 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I just heard a federal cabinet minister (I believe it was transport minister, Marc Garneau), saying that the decision about opening up Canadian ports of cruise ships after June 30th will be discussed in cabinet soon, and a decision made in a timely manner so that cruise lines will have lead time to plan their summer routes.

Wendy, any update?  You posted this two weeks ago and I haven't seen anything on CBC or Vancouversun.  With Prime Minister spending his time trying to get on Security Council I wonder if he forgot about us cruisers.  😉

6 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Wendy, any update?  You posted this two weeks ago and I haven't seen anything on CBC or Vancouversun.  With Prime Minister spending his time trying to get on Security Council I wonder if he forgot about us cruisers.  😉

No Marc, nothing yet, although I admit I haven't been listening to Justin every day lately.  He didn't speak today at all, there's some kind of summit going on right now over the world economy.

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Another Canada at par!  DRATS!  Another time that my best price guarantee is worthless.

Don't get too envious.  Regent prices them in Canadian dollars, so you save the forex on the credit card, yes, but the prices are inflated 1.3-1.45%.  Here are a few examples from a  brochure that arrived in the mail, vs the CAD at par prices on the website:  (I used the lowest price in the brochure, and the "starting at" price on the website in order to compare apples to apples.  Other room categories might have different percentages.)

Dec 10  12 nights  USD4599   CA6049
Dec 14   7 nights  USD3799   CA4999
Jan 4  10 nights   USD5899   CA7749
Jan 5  14 nights   USD10899  CA15749

So it is misleading advertising if you were expecting to pay the US price with Canadian dollars - which is how we used to understand at par pricing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Speaking from the other side of the border, things are worsening - at least on the U.S. side (and I hear that Montreal is also having high numbers of cases).  If people do not start social distancing and wearing masks, I would not be surprised if the borders remained closed through the summer.  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Did you need to request this or did it just hit your account?  We were scheduled to be sailing today, actually, which of course didn’t happen.  I think it was just a 7 or 10 day cruise, but every night helps...

It hasn't yet hit my account, but the additional perk was announced in a broadcast email from Jason Montague (Regent CEO) a couple of weeks ago.  And yes, every night counts.

37 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Interesting interview with FdR:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/05/articles/disease/ncls-ceo-del-rio-cruise-restrictions-should-immediately-stop/

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Marc

I have to say I like his attitude as described here (from  the article) :

Remarkably Del Rio stated that “people are rushing to bars and restaurants as they reopen, they want to get back to their normal lives, and cruising is a part of their normal lives.” Del Rio seems to believe that disregarding the CDC’s guidelines for social distancing and the wearing of masks is a good thing rather than a major problem that needs to be discouraged. 

Editing to add: It sounds as if he recognizes that a cruising model centered on people wearing masks and shuddering in fear is not a winning one. But, who knows what they'll allow him to get away with

Edited by cruiseluv

1 minute ago, cruiseluv said:

I have to say I like his attitude as described here (from  the article) :

Remarkably Del Rio stated that “people are rushing to bars and restaurants as they reopen, they want to get back to their normal lives, and cruising is a part of their normal lives.” Del Rio seems to believe that disregarding the CDC’s guidelines for social distancing and the wearing of masks is a good thing rather than a major problem that needs to be discouraged. 

Does he believe it or "seem to believe it"  How would this ambulance chaser. know?