Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

8 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I guess Bermuda doesn't want tourists.

Maybe they simply don’t want COVID?

Countries have every right to protect their borders - especially when other countries aren’t taking their responsibilities seriously 

• Like 5

My grandmother was Bermudian...I feel qualified to discuss the topic.

PS - Family and friends "on de rock" feel that this is a political move by the PLP to garner grassroots support.

Edited by Pcardad

2 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

My grandmother was Bermudian...I feel qualified to discuss the topic.

Clearly - you think so 

I didn’t realise that having an ancestor from a country qualified opinions In some way - using that rationale there’s there’s many millions of people qualified to comment on US policy then - is that what you’re suggesting?

All I’m saying is it’s Bermuda’s right to decide what is right for their country without interference from another state 

• Like 2

Yes, I do think so. I have family and friends there and I am in daily contact with them. With such a small population (65k?), you can get an idea of what is going on pretty easily.

Yes, I think anyone who is affected by the USA (most of the world) have a right to an opinion. Will be it be a well-informed opinion if they have no connection to the USA or will the population difference (65K vs 350M) make a difference?

Totally their right to decide....but I am not another state, just a guy with family and friends there.

• Like 3

I received a flyer for 2020 trips to South America on Mariner.  According to the list posted earlier, the Mariner isn't suppose to cruise until January 2021.  Is this a waist of money on advertising, or is there something wrong with the list!!!

4 minutes ago, merlot101 said:

I received a flyer for 2020 trips to South America on Mariner.  According to the list posted earlier, the Mariner isn't suppose to cruise until January 2021.  Is this a waist of money on advertising, or is there something wrong with the list!!!

No one has confirmed the provenance of that list, or even what it purported to show.   So we're in the realm of pure speculation. (Obsolete flyers notwithstanding.)

I frankly don't believe Mariner will cruise on January 5th, the world cruise.  The reason I think that is because NCL has cancelled its next winter season in New Zealand and Australia (they have some ships dedicated to that part of the world.)  It's looking very iffy as to whether either country will welcome international cruise ships by that time frame.

7 minutes ago, merlot101 said:

Perhaps marketing and operations not communicating or bulking up on cash flow??

Think that a little research on the part of posters would be helpful.  Communication (and marketing) issues are the same for all major cruise lines (cruise lines under Carnival, Royal Caribbean and NCLH).  I attended a "webinar" yesterday  where the CEO of Carnival was the head speaker.  He pretty much said what Frank Del Rio has stated in his interviews.  No one is "bulking up on cash flow" but rather the cruise lines do not have enough information to communicate to their passengers.  Which ports will be open (and when) is a big issue (after the CDC approval to resume cruising).  The CEO apologized for how long it was taking to get refunds out for all of their brands and noted that this is not something that has ever happened before and no one was prepared for it.

People that read travel newsletters - or even the news know that predictions cannot be made for any cruise line or airline at this point in time.  Canceling August is a particularly difficult decision for cruise lines to make since the CDC will not decide whether or not to allow cruising to resume until late July.  If cruising could resume in August, most cruise lines could be able get their crew, do some training and be running their first cruises.

Depending upon the cruise line, it may be wise for them to cancel the first half of August while we all await word from the CDC.  It is easy to jump to the conclusion that cruise lines are only doing things that serve themselves which I do not believe is true.  Cruise lines would like nothing more than to announce a firm date when they will resume cruising.  

IMO, Regent is doing considerably better than Celebrity (owned by Royal Caribbean) who are still sending invoices out for cruises cancelled two weeks ago.  I realize that some people think that luxury cruise lines should be better than this.  However, the four major luxury cruise lines are part of larger companies that include mainstream, premium, and premium plus.  It would be great to have Regent, Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea have separate departments, locations, etc., but this was done away with a while ago.  

Stickman - anyone can have an opinion and should be able to state it. Bermuda has every right to decide what is best for their country but you do not have to be from there to have an opinion.

• Haha 2

A little fully reading of posts would help a lot.  Clearly said in might be marketing and operations not communicating with each other an internal issue.  Plus there is no doubt cruise lines are looking to bulk up their cash flow no matter what is said publically.  Most of a long post above was off topic nothing to do with previous posts.

Considering the problems in Brazil, highly unlikely any cruise ship will be going to South America (Brazil) anytime in 2020

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 6

On 6/15/2020 at 7:53 AM, Pcardad said:

Today isn't over...and knowing them, it could change. But I still expect some news early in the week.

In ancient Hungarian culture Wednesday is the first day of the week; maybe NCLH has Magyar roots.

Marc

PS Have you wondered how Finnish and Hungarian are related and, in fact, along with Estonian the primary languages in the Finno-Ugric Language family?

7 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

In ancient Hungarian culture Wednesday is the first day of the week; maybe NCLH has Magyar roots.

Marc

PS Have you wondered how Finnish and Hungarian are related and, in fact, along with Estonian the primary languages in the Finno-Ugric Language family?

I haven't today, no. Been slammed with some paperwork....

I thought you all pored over every word I wrote?

I retired from my primary line of work and sold a side-business. That turned into another little business providing services to people who vacation extensively and have unique requirements. 

My hobbies include writing (bad at it), daytrading (OK at it) and competitive shooting (good at it). 

49 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Considering the problems in Brazil, highly unlikely any cruise ship will be going to South America (Brazil) anytime in 2020

If  you look back at very recent history, Italy had the highest number of Covid-19 cases.  Now, approximately 1 1/2 - 2 months later, they are opening borders within Europe.  There is no reason that the same thing cannot happen to Brazil over the next 2-3 months.  As I posted, in my strong opinion, no one can predict the future of Covid-19 and how it may (or may not) continue to affect cruising.

As an aside, like many things written on Cruise Critic, some things can be interrupted different ways.  I took your comment 

"Perhaps marketing and operations not communicating or bulking up on cash flow??" as how these departments are communicating in general - not specifically with each other.  It wasn't clear what marketing, operations, communication and bulking up cash flow have to do with each other (or what it had to do with the post that you were quoting)  Since you only wrote one sentence, it was open to interpretation.  

I feel that many posts on CC are open to misinterpretation due to the lack of specificity in the posts (including mine which is why I tend to write more than is necessary - an attempt at clarity).  While this is not a big deal, I find that you accuse me of not reading posts which is untrue.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Yes, I've been aware of that, and have some interest in linguistics.  Lithuanian is in there too, and is a very strange language, i.e., difficult for English-speakers to learn.  At least I found it so when I was there.

On 6/9/2020 at 11:41 AM, Travelcat2 said:

There is another way of looking at August being wait-listed.  If cruise ships can sail in August, Regent has stated that they will start out by not filling their ships and also will not start the entire fleet at once.  So, it is possible that some cruises are wait-listed because they have reached the occupancy level that Regent has decided is the limit for that cruise and other wait-lists could be due to the ships that will not be sailing in August.  

Just a thought from an eternal optimist!

Looks like you were wrong, AGAIN.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm guessing everyone saw this?  Also some rumors of additional layoffs on the NCL forum.  I do feel very sorry for the employees, if the rumors are true.  On the other hand, I hope anyone wishing for  refund on the affected cruises receives them on a timely basis.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-ltd-announces-extension-of-suspension-of-voyages-2020-06-16

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

Okay Marc. Tuesday isn't over til it's over. Perhaps give Picardad some credit. He got it right.

1 minute ago, CBWIR said:

Okay Marc. Tuesday isn't over til it's over. Perhaps give Picardad some credit. He got it right.

Although I was critical at first, pcardad is a very welcome addition to this forum; I really look forward to each and every post he makes; I have become a convert.

Marc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Looks like you were wrong, AGAIN.

Yes - just like about 99% of predictions on CC, I was wrong.  However, if Regent is going to limit passengers on early cruises, they are likely going to wait-list those cruises - even though they will be sailing.

I was also wrong when I booked cruises for May and September but am still optimiistic that we will sail in November.

P.S.  Glad read that you have changed your mind about Pcardad.  He is very generous with his time and is patient with the group on the Regent board.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Although I was critical at first, pcardad is a very welcome addition to this forum; I really look forward to each and every post he makes; I have become a convert.

Marc

<Bows in respect>

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

If  you look back at very recent history, Italy had the highest number of Covid-19 cases.  Now, approximately 1 1/2 - 2 months later, they are opening borders within Europe.  There is no reason that the same thing cannot happen to Brazil over the next 2-3 months.  As I posted, in my strong opinion, no one can predict the future of Covid-19 and how it may (or may not) continue to affect cruising.

As an aside, like many things written on Cruise Critic, some things can be interrupted different ways.  I took your comment 

"Perhaps marketing and operations not communicating or bulking up on cash flow??" as how these departments are communicating in general - not specifically with each other.  It wasn't clear what marketing, operations, communication and bulking up cash flow have to do with each other (or what it had to do with the post that you were quoting)  Since you only wrote one sentence, it was open to interpretation.  

I feel that many posts on CC are open to misinterpretation due to the lack of specificity in the posts (including mine which is why I tend to write more than is necessary - an attempt at clarity).  While this is not a big deal, I find that you accuse me of not reading posts which is untrue.  

I do agree that you cannot predict the future of the Covid virus. Italy may be doing well now, but no one knows what it will be like in a few months. China’s capital is experiencing a resurgence of the virus. Last month Carnival’s chairman thought Galveston might be a good port to begin its sailings in August. Today, the nearby Houston area is experiencing heightened virus levels.

My point  is that it is next to impossible to successfully operate a cruise line in this environment. How can an  itinerary be marketed when the future is so unknowable? Ships, crews, and port arrangements need to be made some time in advance. The required investment will be quite expensive. I just don’t know how or why Regent, or any other cruise line, would be willing to take that risk. It is just my opinion, but I believe management will decide to discontinue cruises until the picture is much much more certain. I do not believe that will be anytime soon.

Edited by Steve Q
Mistake made
  • Like 1