Will there be any further Regents cruises in 2020?

1 hour ago, greykitty said:

Sure - I'll bet the next round of cancellations will be announced within five working days.  I also suspect that NCLH and its subs will not follow the lead of lines like Disney and Cunard and announce several months' cancellation at a time.

They announcing August the beginning of the week...

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Thanks.  I see folks on the NCL board already discussing all the 'internet signs' of disappearing and fully booked sailings already.  I guess if I squint I can see NCLH's 'business reasons' for showing/selling/cancelling sailings as they have been, but it's still not quite 'doing the right thing by passengers' in my mind.   

22 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

The question is not when they cancel August (and the Canadian itineraries through October); rather, it is when they cancel the entire European season and start selling new itineraries in Caribbean.

Marc

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

The question is not when they cancel August (and the Canadian itineraries through October); rather, it is when they cancel the entire European season and start selling new itineraries in Caribbean.

Marc

If they cancel the European season (which is certainly possible), the Caribbean is not an option until around November due to hurricane season in the Caribbean.

• Like 1

Just now, Travelcat2 said:

If they cancel the European season (which is certainly possible), the Caribbean is not an option until around November due to hurricane season in the Caribbean.

Plenty of cruise ships, even Radisson/Regent, sail in Caribbean during hurricane season.  I was on Mariner last hurricane season.

Edited by mrlevin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

My personal feeling is that there is a lot more to be cancelled....and some new cruises to be added.

We will see, I have certainly been wrong before.

To be fair, the cruise lines, like all businesses, have to be reactive, as well as proactive, in the daily changing health and business environment.  Even my hair salon owner, who is scrupulous regarding meeting and exceeding all CDC, professional, and state recommendations, has been altering protocols weekly.  

That said, I do think most  cruise lines are not being very forthright about their scheduling and cancellation process.  But, I suppose they're leveraging their cash flow as best they can - especially since a lot of the funds the majors borrowed come with pretty hefty interest rates.  Certainly a balancing act.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Hey guys

Enough bashing! Let’s keep the postings civil. If you do not like a person’s opinion, write your own. 
sheila

I have no problem with ANYONE's "opinion", but when Tcat2 maligns a poster, that's reason for comment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Mahogany said:

I have no problem with ANYONE's "opinion", but when Tcat2 maligns a poster, that's reason for comment.

That poster maligned me three separate times (separate posts on different threads).  Rather than "malign" the poster, I reminded myself and others that the poster is new to the Regent board.  My favorite posters are generally newbies to Regent.  They are anxious to learn about the Regent Experience, ask questions, etc. while this poster keeps telling me what I can or cannot post.  This is not acceptable and I finally spoke out as I have a right to defend myself.

Edited by Travelcat2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Plenty of cruise ships, even Radisson/Regent, sail in Caribbean during hurricane season.  I was on Mariner last hurricane season.

Would you take a Caribbean cruise during hurricane season?  I know that Regent ships pass through the Caribbean on the way to the Amazon, for instance, but I do not recall them doing the types of cruises that are done in the late fall and winter.  Aside from the possibility of hurricanes, the weather is typically very unpleasant at this time of the year.

P.S.  Wendy, another alternative is to "ignore" the poster through the CC website so that you do not even see their posts.  It is working well so far!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Travelcat2 said:

Would you take a Caribbean cruise during hurricane season?  I know that Regent ships pass through the Caribbean on the way to the Amazon, for instance, but I do not recall them doing the types of cruises that are done in the late fall and winter.  Aside from the possibility of hurricanes, the weather is typically very unpleasant at this time of the year.

P.S.  Wendy, another alternative is to "ignore" the poster through the CC website so that you do not even see their posts.  It is working well so far!

Read my post you quoted; i took a Regent cruise in Caribbean during hurricane season just last year.  I have taken other Regent cruises in hurricane season to Caribbean from San Juan, Bermuda, and Montreal to Ft Lauderdale.

Marc

1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

Read my post you quoted; i took a Regent cruise in Caribbean during hurricane season just last year.  I have taken other Regent cruises in hurricane season to Caribbean from San Juan, Bermuda, and Montreal to Ft Lauderdale.

Marc

Sorry Marc - the rude and off-topic posts on this thread are distracting.  Would you mind telling us how the seas and weather was at that time of the year?  

We did go through the Caribbean and made a couple of stops in November 2018 and found the heat quite intense but no hurricanes (probably because it was the end of the hurricane season but I would hesitate to sail there in September).

I suspect the Regent cruises for the rest of 2020 will be a very different mix of passengers than usual; myself and others that have been loyal to other lines are being drawn to the Mariner sailings in October because we can minimize travel by driving to the port.  Likewise would not be surprised to see loyal Regent guests on Crystal or Seabourn as they sail from Florida in Oct/Nov. for the same reason.  Hopefully it gives people who have other loyalties a chance to experience what sounds on this board to be quite different cultures across these competing lines (FWIW, have not experienced a huge cultural difference in Crystal vs Seabourn).  Probably in 2021 people will settle back into their usual travel patterns.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

I suspect the Regent cruises for the rest of 2020 will be a very different mix of passengers than usual; myself and others that have been loyal to other lines are being drawn to the Mariner sailings in October because we can minimize travel by driving to the port.  Likewise would not be surprised to see loyal Regent guests on Crystal or Seabourn as they sail from Florida in Oct/Nov. for the same reason.  Hopefully it gives people who have other loyalties a chance to experience what sounds on this board to be quite different cultures across these competing lines (FWIW, have not experienced a huge cultural difference in Crystal vs Seabourn).  Probably in 2021 people will settle back into their usual travel patterns.  

Really interesting perspective.  Being a loyal Regent customer for years, I think that trying other luxury lines (Silversea and Crystal) made me appreciate Regent even more.  From a cultural difference standpoint, passengers on Silversea were the biggest difference (very formal) but the food, service and accommodations were about equal to Regent (there are pluses and minuses on both cruise lines when doing a comparison).  It is difficult for me to get past the small suites on Crystal  especially since some of Crystal's larger suites (that are still smaller than Regent) cost more than Regent on many itineraries.  We found the food in two dining venues to be excellent and two to be barely tolerable (acknowledging that food is subjective).  Still, I hope that you are right and that Regent cruisers will give other luxury lines a try.

blacksmith - thanks so much for your input on the seas in the Caribbean in the fall!

12 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

Probably in 2021 people will settle back into their usual travel patterns.  

Or maybe some will find new travel patterns.  Variety can be good, and having more choices of itineraries is a plus.  That is why I booked an October Mariner trip before the pandemic hit -- I wanted to expand my "travel patterns."

TC, since you brought up the dining options on Crystal, you did not try Waterside for dinner, their main dining room.  That is really my favorite dinner venue, in part because of the variety, but I do love Prego and Umi Uma as well.  I don't know if you had lunch or breakfast in Waterside, but it is not at its best for breakfast.

• Like 1

I would have no problem sailing to the Caribbean in October.

We were checking out the 7 day Crystal specials. But, we would have to fly to San Juan or do a back to back for 14 days. We will not fly in October.
To do the back to back would require us cancelling our November 28th 9 day sailing on Splendor. No way! So a chance to try Crystal, for less money,  is out. Prices were great, but won’t give up Regent. 
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

38 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

I may be late in the game here....has anyone seen this relaunch list?  Post #36

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2752396-ncl-announcement-friday/page/2/

Just wondering if there's any truth to this.

Wow, that's very interesting if true.  Not sure it's a good idea for the January WC to be the very first Mariner cruise, however.

Global pandemic.

Cities aflame.

Anarchy nipping at our heels.

Economy teetering on the brink...

But I can always count on this forum to stay consistent with the personal attacks.   🙂

Thank God for consistency in the world.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Wow, that's very interesting if true.  Not sure it's a good idea for the January WC to be the very first Mariner cruise, however.

I agree.  You would think they would want to get it up and running before the WC.  Even if catastrophe hits, it would be better to have it happen on a short cruise than on a world cruise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

I may be late in the game here....has anyone seen this relaunch list?  Post #36

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2752396-ncl-announcement-friday/page/2/

Just wondering if there's any truth to this.

It looks like a format that I’ve seen previously (on a Regent ship).  Very interesting.  Post #35 is also interesting.  I knew that there was a meeting with the CDC yesterday but am not aware of what was discussed.

I like the list but that is probably because it shows our cruise sailing in November.  That was a great catch Kwaj girl!

Bill - when you aren’t here things get boring - Definitely miss your sarcasm and wit😈

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Global pandemic.

Cities aflame.

But I can always count on this forum to stay consistent with the personal attacks.   🙂

We gotta get together.  I’m in Asheville and would love to buy you a Wicked Weed Beer.

We can Chill, talk about cruising and have a few laughs about our manic masked marauder…😉

8 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Global pandemic.

Cities aflame.

😁 I thought you were going to say I can  always count on this forum To be optimistic about cruising in the next few months!

• Like 1