Did anyone actually benefit from their cruise getting canceled?

Saukkey1

On 5/12/2020 at 10:45 PM, caribill said:

The total of what you applied + the extra for taking the FCC option cannot exceed the base cruise fare.

So if the base cruise fare (does not include those additional taxes) totaled $11,200 or more, you will get the full extra $5600 FCC.

But if, for example, the base cruise fare totaled $8000, then the extra FCC would be limited to $2400.

20200514_092702.jpg

I tried to get back to delete that but we had a minor 'explosion' here in the house.  I get it .... FCC can only be used on future cruise fare not incidentals 

My “win” was that my cruise was booked using a FCD, but on a non refundable fare, so I should be getting that returned, or worst case, refunded back to my credit card. 

I’ve learned my lesson and won’t be using a non refundable fare again, just to try and save a few hundred bucks. I tried to refare before this all blew up as I noticed a fare drop. Princess would not allow me to refare as there was no equivalent fare drop for the non refundable fare bucket, so I ended up with a fare that was non refundable and was $100pp more expensive than the new refundable fare.

The loss is that the same cruise next year is sold out of suites and a balcony costs pretty much what I was going to pay for a windows suite. No Alaska for me next year.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:29 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

If I ever received that refund. yes. Received our cruise cost in FCC in addition to the full refund.. That was $1,904.00 I booked and used the FCC for a 2021 cruise. Received the FCC weeks ago but not the refund.

I'm hearing that others on the Grand Princess March 29th cruise have received their full refund so it's beginning again. Now I really wonder if the refund pause was caused by everyone having to stay out of Seattle (accounting) and Santa Clarita offices. 

On 5/13/2020 at 11:53 AM, voljeep said:

'dog' - hang in there and just ignore posters ...

as far as the ship sailed without me - did it have any 'problems' with cornteen, or missed ports ?

I had regular insurance that only allowed me to cancel with a 25 per cent loss of money and future cruise credit. My cruise went out on February 25th out of Ft. Lauderdale. I cancelled on February 11th after seeing the news of China and the Diamond Princess. Other cruises that went out of Ft. Lauderdale that same date ended up with Corona Virus Cases - The Ruby Princess and Regal!  That same week 3 port workers who were contracted by Princess came down with Covid 19 their job was to greet passengers and handle luggage. We easily could have been exposed to them, and I highly doubt that that cruise had no passengers with Covid - it was the Crown Princess.   I have checked with Princess and only will give me what my insurance allowed on the basic insurance, future cruise credit only not cancel for any reason.  Husband has a form of leukemia and that was my main reason, his life and the possibility of quarantine.   I would love to know if passengers that were on that Crown Cruise later ended up with Covid.    Yet people who had a cruise going out the day mine returned had theirs cancelled and even with NO insurance they got 100 per cent future cruise credits since it was Princess that cancelled.   I have appealed this through my Princess agent, I had a Vista Suite so the penalty was $1500, and the cost of the insurance and I cannot get the $4000 back only as a future cruise credit and due to ongoing concerns I doubt we will ever use it.   So yes you all who had your cruises cancelled

did get a valuable option that I didn't get and even if you did not buy any kind of insurance. Thankfully you have your health and I hope you are young enough and in good enough health that you will be able to use those future cruise credits.

2 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I had regular insurance that only allowed me to cancel with a 25 per cent loss of money and future cruise credit. My cruise went out on February 25th out of Ft. Lauderdale. I cancelled on February 11th credits.

You might try completing the Pause 1 form requesting Option 2. I never had a link to it as I got it through my PVP. You'd be a 'pre-Pause 1' like my 2nd cancelled one. Just getting more FCC. Not positive how that works if you ask to surrender it for cash up to the initial cruise fare price

• Like 1

Kkmiausa:

sorry you did not get a better compensation and had to abide by the terms you booked your cruise under. 

stay safe, be kind

why did you direct this post to me? Dog

Edited by dog
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

You might try completing the Pause 1 form requesting Option 2. I never had a link to it as I got it through my PVP. You'd be a 'pre-Pause 1' like my 2nd cancelled one. Just getting more FCC. Not positive how that works if you ask to surrender it for cash up to the initial cruise fare price

I believe the cancellation pause 1 was based on Princess cancelling the cruise. Their cruise sailed like mine did. No bonus FCC or money refund 

29 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I had regular insurance that only allowed me to cancel with a 25 per cent loss of money and future cruise credit. My cruise went out on February 25th out of Ft. Lauderdale. I cancelled on February 11th after seeing the news of China and the Diamond Princess. Other cruises that went out of Ft. Lauderdale that same date ended up with Corona Virus Cases - The Ruby Princess and Regal!  That same week 3 port workers who were contracted by Princess came down with Covid 19 their job was to greet passengers and handle luggage. We easily could have been exposed to them, and I highly doubt that that cruise had no passengers with Covid - it was the Crown Princess.   I have checked with Princess and only will give me what my insurance allowed on the basic insurance, future cruise credit only not cancel for any reason.  Husband has a form of leukemia and that was my main reason, his life and the possibility of quarantine.   I would love to know if passengers that were on that Crown Cruise later ended up with Covid.    Yet people who had a cruise going out the day mine returned had theirs cancelled and even with NO insurance they got 100 per cent future cruise credits since it was Princess that cancelled.   I have appealed this through my Princess agent, I had a Vista Suite so the penalty was $1500, and the cost of the insurance and I cannot get the $4000 back only as a future cruise credit and due to ongoing concerns I doubt we will ever use it.   So yes you all who had your cruises cancelled

did get a valuable option that I didn't get and even if you did not buy any kind of insurance. Thankfully you have your health and I hope you are young enough and in good enough health that you will be able to use those future cruise credits.

My situation: Panama Canal cruise on Island March 7th.

Paid for flights to Ft Lauderdale (non refundable)

Paid for 3 nights pre cruise hotel (non refundable)

Princess email MARCH 6th  offering 100 % of my cruise fare as FCC or sail and get $200 OBC

Heard about 2 positive cases for virus in area March 5th.

Accepted offer to cancel.

Paid for hotels/expenses for remainder of the cruise.

So, I am very grateful with the offer I received from Princess. If I did have an issue I would take it up with the cruise line.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dog said:

My situation: Panama Canal cruise on Island March 7th.

Paid for flights to Ft Lauderdale (non refundable)

Paid for 3 nights pre cruise hotel (non refundable)

Princess email MARCH 6th  offering 100 % of my cruise fare as FCC or sail and get $200 OBC

Heard about 2 positive cases for virus in area March 5th.

Accepted offer to cancel.

Paid for hotels/expenses for remainder of the cruise.

So, I am very grateful with the offer I received from Princess. If I did have an issue I would take it up with the cruise line.

Yes Dog. You were lucky that yours was to go out the time mine would have returned and because Princess cancelled those people got full refunds and future cruise credit even if they did not have insurance which is what upsets me the most. February was only 28 days, so ours returned on a Sunday I believe the 5th or 6th of of March almost the date of yours. So sorry about your    flights and cruise hotels. Yes those cases were diagnosed at the port right after we sailed and we would have been helped by those 3 people as their job was to meet and greet and help with luggage. The company they worked for was contracted by Princess! So Covid was a real threat already at that time.  I feel like I did the responsible thing by cancelling.  I read the form and it was only for "affected cruises" like the ones that Princess cancelled like yours, so mine was not covered.    I have written to my cruise rep from Princess.

Edited by kkmiausa
left out info

11 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I read the form and it was only for "affected cruises" like the ones that Princess cancelled like yours, so mine was not covered.   

My cruise was not cancelled by Princess. It sailed without me.

Had your cruise sailed after March 6th & you cancelled you would have been included in getting 100% FCC for cruise fare, refund of taxes etc

I understand why you cancelled and am sorry for your situation.

I am also quite pleased to see the offer Princess has given to everyone else. No bitterness here.

Edited by dog

13 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

Yes Dog. You were lucky that yours was to go out the time mine would have returned and because Princess cancelled those people got full refunds and future cruise credit even if they did not have insurance which is what upsets me the most. February was only 28 days, so ours returned on a Sunday I believe the 5th or 6th of of March almost the date of yours. So sorry about your    flights and cruise hotels. Yes those cases were diagnosed at the port right after we sailed and we would have been helped by those 3 people as their job was to meet and greet and help with luggage. The company they worked for was contracted by Princess! So Covid was a real threat already at that time.  I feel like I did the responsible thing by cancelling.  I read the form and it was only for "affected cruises" like the ones that Princess cancelled like yours, so mine was not covered.    I have written to my cruise rep from Princess.

I'm confused. YOU cancelled not Princess and Princess upheld the terms of the booking contract? Have you received that compensation? How long did you wait for it? FWIW Princess cancelled mine March 8th & I'm still waiting for 1/2 my FCC but got all my $$s so I'm fine

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

No sorry if what I wrote was confusing. The cruise I had booked was not cancelled by Princess, but I took the precaution to cancel for any reason with penalty as I had the Princess standard insurance which allows that. So yes they are honoring the policy terms, I just feel that because Covid was found on other ships that sailed that same date out of the same port, that they could at least offer some additional credit to me since I acted responsibly. Easily the Crown could have had cases since the Grand Princess had cases on the cruise the week before mine and some of their crew was transferred to the Regal and Ruby who had been exposed to the virus. Luck would have it that none of them went to the Crown  Princess.  I believe people who were on those cruises got lots of special credits and future cruise offers for their inconvenience. For example, those on the Grand Princess who were quarantined in California the first week in March got their entire cost applied to future cruises whether they had insurance or not.

4 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

No sorry if what I wrote was confusing. The cruise I had booked was not cancelled by Princess, but I took the precaution to cancel for any reason with penalty as I had the Princess standard insurance which allows that. So yes they are honoring the policy terms, I just feel that because Covid was found on other ships that sailed that same date out of the same port, that they could at least offer some additional credit to me since I acted responsibly. Easily the Crown could have had cases since the Grand Princess had cases on the cruise the week before mine and some of their crew was transferred to the Regal and Ruby who had been exposed to the virus. Luck would have it that none of them went to the Crown  Princess.  I believe people who were on those cruises got lots of special credits and future cruise offers for their inconvenience. For example, those on the Grand Princess who were quarantined in California the first week in March got their entire cost applied to future cruises whether they had insurance or not.

I just want to make it clear:  My cruise sailed on March 7th.  I cancelled on March 6th.  I do not get extra FCC.

18 minutes ago, dog said:

I just want to make it clear:  My cruise sailed on March 7th.  I cancelled on March 6th.  I do not get extra FCC.

Thanks Dog. So your cruise was not cancelled by Princess?  But did you get 100 per cent toward another cruise even if you were the one that cancelled? I think I was more than fair as I cancelled on February 11th and they had options to book it to someone else, and also the insurance paid them for the suite. I had heard in the beginning that since I cancelled after first of February I would get 100 per cent but that was not the case.   But did you have insurance?  Sorry if I am a pest.

27 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

Thanks Dog. So your cruise was not cancelled by Princess?  But did you get 100 per cent toward another cruise even if you were the one that cancelled? I think I was more than fair as I cancelled on February 11th and they had options to book it to someone else, and also the insurance paid them for the suite. I had heard in the beginning that since I cancelled after first of February I would get 100 per cent but that was not the case.   But did you have insurance?  Sorry if I am a pest.

I cannot help you

you need to deal with Princess. 

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I'm confused. YOU cancelled not Princess and Princess upheld the terms of the booking contract? Have you received that compensation? How long did you wait for it? FWIW Princess cancelled mine March 8th & I'm still waiting for 1/2 my FCC but got all my $$s so I'm fine

My understanding is she cancelled a cruise that sailed in Feb.&  had to claim through Princess insurance “cancel for any reason “. She feels slighted because Princess let those without insurance cancel March 6 th for a FCC. 
sounds like an issue only Princess can deal with. Done here. 

• Thanks 1

If I ever get the full refund, waiting for $2,621.00. I already received $1,904.00 of the cost of the basic cruise in FCC which I used for a cruise in 2021. Cruise cost $2,199.00 less the FCC $1,904.00 leaving a balance of $14.00.  Plus the Port & Tax $281.00 So the cruise is costing me $295.00 Not bad at all. So we did benefit from the cancellation for sure.

• Like 2

Traded a 29 day for a 38 day Princess + cruise 432 fcc balance remains . Waiting patiently for 6000+ refund to pay port fees/ taxes/ez air final due November 23  btw cruise is set for March 2021 Hopefully we’ll sail 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, Ombud said:

The other half of your FCC likely went to your traveling companion. FCC are divided among all passengers on the booking, regardless of who paid. (I know. Separate issue.)

• Like 1