Did anyone actually benefit from their cruise getting canceled?

Saukkey1

I had purchased several thousands of dollars in gift cards.  For that reason, I had already applied them to my balance, but I hadn’t paid the Cruise total yet. If my TA is correct, I will get my $5600 as a FCC and double my deposit, so another $5600!   I already booked for next summer, and yes, the cruise fare is higher, but with my extra $5600 FCC, I’m happy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saukkey1 said:

I had purchased several thousands of dollars in gift cards.  For that reason, I had already applied them to my balance, but I hadn’t paid the Cruise total yet. If my TA is correct, I will get my $5600 as a FCC and double my deposit, so another $5600!   I already booked for next summer, and yes, the cruise fare is higher, but with my extra $5600 FCC, I’m happy.

The total of what you applied + the extra for taking the FCC option cannot exceed the base cruise fare.

So if the base cruise fare (does not include those additional taxes) totaled $11,200 or more, you will get the full extra $5600 FCC.

But if, for example, the base cruise fare totaled $8000, then the extra FCC would be limited to $2400.

• Like 4

I had 3 cruises cancelled.  (1) refunded 100% + FCC (2) Paid 3277 total for 7 day coastal in OF room, received 4858 FCC + 434.32 which I used to pay for a 15 day TA (put down $300 but have a credit of 226) + 10 day Alaska cruise fare in B4 room (3) just had a 14 day September TA cancelled and I'm getting that refunded back to cover non-fare items on Alaska. Then will have 2k + 500 FCC left over plus traded 21 days for 25 days. So I think I'm ahead

My sister had paid quite a bit towards her European cruise. She does get double her deposit which is more than just her deposit (her payments) She benefitted more than if she had paid off the cruise as then it would have been only 125%. 

I don't think she has booked a replacement cruise so not fully sure how much she will come out ahead with many cruise prices up. 

She ended up with more than I got when my cruise was cancelled a month out. Here she had a good feeling it would be cancelled as her cruise is in August.

My benefit was” peace of mind “ being able to cancel my cruise the day before sailing. There were 2 reported positive cases of the virus in S Florida at that time. 
No bonus, but 100 percent of my cruise fare as FCC I consider fair. The ship sailed without me. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dog said:

No bonus, but 100 percent of my cruise fare as FCC I consider fair. The ship sailed without me. 

'dog' - hang in there and just ignore posters ...

as far as the ship sailed without me - did it have any 'problems' with cornteen, or missed ports ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, voljeep said:

'dog' - hang in there and just ignore posters ...

as far as the ship sailed without me - did it have any 'problems' with cornteen, or missed ports ?

Yeah, thanks, you saw duplicate thread I got quite the whipping on?

I heard from 3. Who got virus symptoms after cruise 

One other praised cruise even though they missed 3 of their 5 ports. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dog said:

Yeah, thanks, you saw duplicate thread I got quite the whipping on?

yeah, and I've also got quite the set of "admirers / followers" … 😉🦄🍷

I also make good use of the ignore function … as i'm sure many have also hovered over my profile ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🤑

I had to drive to Staples (4 miles) to fax my last brokerage statement + booking confirmation from the Alaska cruise I booked today to Shareholder Services. 100 OBC was in my account by the time I got home. Looking forward to 537 FCC for later in the year (will ask to have deadline extended) +$2000+ after 2 cruises are replaced with 2 cruises. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

🤑

I had to drive to Staples (4 miles) to fax my last brokerage statement + booking confirmation from the Alaska cruise I booked today to Shareholder Services. 100 OBC was in my account by the time I got home. Looking forward to 537 FCC for later in the year (will ask to have deadline extended) +$2000+ after 2 cruises are replaced with 2 cruises. 

I use FaxZero online. It's free and easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! Bookmarked that. Most online services had a 'trial period' and I'll rarely need to send one

FWIW: didn't mind an 'excuse' to get outside other than grocery stores. Wandered about a bit but didn't need anything other than the fax & printing a pic of my son / his kids / getting frame for his birthday

If/when we ever get our money back and no more of our cruises canceled, I guess you could say we will come out a wee bit ahead because of the FCCs that are in our account.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that we get our refunds and values applied back to our gift cards before my next final payment date.  If not, they get no more cash from me ... I will just cancel the sailings I have booked.  

If not, why don't you ask them to transfer the refunds? My Princess Planner is transferring the $434.32 refund still due for fees / taxes / port expenses / insurance to the Alaska August 2021 cruise as my deposit in full. I'd owe that anyway as that cannot be covered by FCC. 

Edited by Ombud

How can anyone benefit from a cancelled cruise...?  You lost out on experiences which are priceless, at least that is what master card  tells us...🤪Anyway...IMHO no amount of money can replace opportunity lost...Never could understand why people would accept move overs for a future cruise. I have accepted a downgrade, but having to replace an existing cruise with a possible free future cruise....not appealing to me as one never knows what the future holds.....

Edited by land lover
  • Like 2

I guess I'm weird because I view it differently.

Princess and I had an agreement (could it be called a contract?) for 3 cruises at a total of $10,675. Through no fault of theirs, they are unable to fulfill their agreement.  They offered 2 options and we reached a new agreement on replacing those 3 cruises with 2 cruises paid for with 7005 FCC + $434.32 transferred, $3085 credit card refund received, and $4315 pending refund (cancelled last Tuesday). In effect, I 'lost' 28 cruise days @ $10,675 but am compensated 25 cruise days plus $7400 ($3085 already received and $4315 due). Its easier for me to think of it as 1 cancelled, trading 2 for 2 but the above is a more accurate accounting. 

If I think of this as a business transaction I'm fine. What I lost was the emotional investment that I put into planning my days and several ports; a time investment that I must now redo.

But I have plenty of time as we are now under Shelter in Place

Side note :: I wonder how many people are really just angrily expressing frustration that their entire lives have been upended / suspended by Covid-19. Sort of a loss of control 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, voljeep said:

yeah, and I've also got quite the set of "admirers / followers" … 😉🦄🍷

I also make good use of the ignore function … as i'm sure many have also hovered over my profile ...

Good thing about it on cc. We can say “ Their ship has sailed”. Gone since. 

9 hours ago, land lover said:

Never could understand why people would accept move overs for a future cruise. I have accepted a downgrade, but having to replace an existing cruise with a possible free future cruise....not appealing to me as one never knows what the future holds.....

We accepted a move-over, where the replacement cruise offered was 2 weeks later, same ship, same itinerary.

Princess gave us a full suite, and all our money back ... directly to our credit card.  No FCCs, no giftcards...

That offer was at about 4:30PM the day before the cruise was to leave.  I had the feeling that they were rather

anxious for us to accept.

• Like 2

Number one benefit.....My DH and I stopped arguing about a future cruise in August...go versus no go.  Also pay final payment vs. cancel.....no fun because neither of us would budge.  Forty eight hours before the final payment was due, Princess cancelled.   There was disappointment for sure, but the relief that our difference of opinion was settled....DIVINE.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2