Juneau Harbor Webcam

3 hours ago, bellebaby said:

I wondered why the Wilderness Adventurer was in Juneau again this a.m. when I checked the webcam. Thanks for posting.  I guess a private yacht will be the tourist solution to cruising in Alaska in 2020.  I have seen a few yachts in Juneau harbor recently but I get concerned about quarantines when they hang around for several days.  I’m so looking forward to 2021 and hoping for a safe cruising environment in Alaska.

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It's not a mandatory 14-day quarantine.  It's EITHER that or a COVID test before arrival in Alaska and another one at the airport.  The passenger tested negative prior to departure.  The test at JNU was positive but it took 3 days to get the results.  The protocols Uncruise was using were similar to what is the case on the Alaska ferry system long haul routes.

https://www.uncruise.com/about-us/media/travel-alerts

The same thing could have happened had the person flown to a fishing lodge or anything else.  Time will tell if there was any transmission on the vessel.

Roy

Ah.  Yeah, you're right.  Thanks for the correction.  I was just up there a couple weeks ago, but on a critical infrastructure exemption, so I wasn't well versed on the testing procedure. 

7 hours ago, Himself said:

Thanks for the information.  Will other species be returning ?

Depends on the area of the state and the species.    Kings can run from May to July.  Reds June-July,  Pinks July (I think) Silvers July-August (some silvers in the Kenai river "trickle" run all winter)  and not sure about dogs.   This is just from Memory  and can really vary by the area of the state.  Was born and raised there but its been a few years since I moved to the "lower" 48.    AK department of Fish and Game has a nice chart of Salmon and Trout organized geographically.    Used to use this chart to plan my fishing trips 😉

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingSportFishingInforuntiming.main

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Himself said:

'I saw bears near the water falls but no fish.. "Where have the Salmon gone?"

Here is a salmon  for you from the river web cam at Brooks camp ..  Can any one tell me what kind it is?  I can't tell the difference. https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/underwater-bear-cam-brown-bear-salmon-cams

20200806T033049_1963410.ts.jpg

20200806T033435_1963523.ts.jpg

10 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Here is a salmon  for you from the river web cam at Brooks camp ..  Can any one tell me what kind it is?  I can't tell the difference. https://explore.org/livecams/brown-bears/underwater-bear-cam-brown-bear-salmon-cams

20200806T033049_1963410.ts.jpg

That looks more like a Rainbow Trout.  They follow the Salmon upstream looking for a free lunch.  

VERY fun to catch (and release)

1005483849_8-6-20207-38-05AM.jpg.fe3d52a75282ee3b828ffc9afe5c8d95.jpg

Edited by sfocruiser
typo

On 8/6/2020 at 9:40 AM, sfocruiser said:

That looks more like a Rainbow Trout.  They follow the Salmon upstream looking for a free lunch.  

VERY fun to catch (and release)

1005483849_8-6-20207-38-05AM.jpg.fe3d52a75282ee3b828ffc9afe5c8d95.jpg

Thank you for the info.  I did not know that they follow the salmon.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:40 AM, sfocruiser said:

5 hours ago, Himself said:

August 13th and the fish are jumping at the falls.  The Bears must be sleeping late.

Maybe too full of fish?  Time to take a bit of a rest?

Noticed yesterday that Wilderness Adventurer had sailed.  Not sure where her home berth is located, but I think her crew are still in their quarantine period.  

3 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Looks like a grey/rainy day in Juneau.  A lot of low clouds when I checked the web cam. 

Another one!  The residents of Juneau may be growing gills this Summer.   

I spoke with my Nephew who lives in a small community just North of Anchorage this afternoon and he said they have had one of the best Summers (weather wise) that they have had for several years.  When I mentioned all of the moisture I have been seeing on the Juneau Port Cam, his response was, "Well, South East Alaska gets a lot of rain."  So, it must not be all that unusual for those who live there.   

3 hours ago, Himself said:

August 19th.  Nice morning in Juneau!  This is the day the North bond ship to Seward would be docked in Juneau, had the Corona Virus not hit!,

We will be on that ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam on August 18th, 2021.   I hope we get such a beautiful day while we are in Juneau!  

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 1