Will you have to take off your mask to get your picture taken for your cruise card?

ontheweb

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It is attitudes like this that require harsh enforcement measures to be applied.  One reason why civilized societies thrive is because a significant portion of the population behave in a cooperative fashion without compulsion.   Would you prefer having police monitoring everyone - and paying the necessary higher taxes to support such enforcement?  Or, do you really believe NO community effort is required to contain contagion?

Your post reminds me of something one of my professors at college said. He said the 2 worst laws ever were speeding and alternate side of the street parking. The reason these laws were bad was everybody broke them without consequences. And once you first broke a law without consequences, the next time was easier.

15 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Your post reminds me of something one of my professors at college said. He said the 2 worst laws ever were speeding and alternate side of the street parking. The reason these laws were bad was everybody broke them without consequences. And once you first broke a law without consequences, the next time was easier.

I wonder what that professor’s field was.  I suppose he never heard of parking tickets or speeding stops.  I am also inclined to think he did not drive too much in Connecticut or park his car in Manhattan.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

The 30-35% of the virus that cloth masks lets escape provides more than enough virus material to infect anyone in the area

How could you know that?  How do you know the viral load that managed to escape the mask? Or how far it managed to travel? Or how much, if any, managed to get through the other person's mask?.  No one that I am aware of has stated that cloth masks are a perfect protection. But they can provide SOME protection. Properly worn, in combination with the other recommended measures, they are better than nothing at all. But if you prefer to subject everyone around you to unnecessary risk,  then on your head be it. Oh, and AFAIK, no one has proven they haven't saved lives either. 

30 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

The 30-35% of the virus that cloth masks lets escape provides more than enough virus material to infect anyone in the area. That’s why these masks cannot he used by health employees, they are poor at protection, this is nothing similar to your comparison on lifeboats. No one can prove any cloth masks have saved any lives.

The CDC recommends the wearing of masks .Any kind except paper masks are better than not wearing anything .

37 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

The 30-35% of the virus that cloth masks lets escape provides more than enough virus material to infect anyone in the area. That’s why these masks cannot he used by health employees, they are poor at protection, this is nothing similar to your comparison on lifeboats. No one can prove any cloth masks have saved any lives.

Do you really believe that reducing contagious virus spread by more than 50% does not do anything to reduce infections which are proven to kill?

THINK!

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

What year was this ? Colleges have changed dramatically over the years.When I was an undergraduate it was possible to get a doctorate in certain subjects without having a masters degree.

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

Just google it, it has been verified. But wear your mask and feel good. And  be sure to get you flu shot for type A snd B flu every year since you  want to protect everyone. 50% do not every year. 

I've seen nothing from either WHO or CDC to suggest not wearing masks. Our country's leading public health experts recommend it, and the majority of people in our area appear to comply. I will continue to do so until told otherwise by those experts I find credible.

I have gotten the flu vaccine every year for as long as I can remember,  and will continue to do so. I'm also up to date on all of the immunizations recommended by my health care provider.

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I wonder what that professor’s field was.  I suppose he never heard of parking tickets or speeding stops.  I am also inclined to think he did not drive too much in Connecticut or park his car in Manhattan.

His field was Government.

And yes, people do get speeding tickets but compared to the percentage of time they are over the speed limit it is very small. The point he was making was a lot easier to break laws once you were in the habit of breaking laws.

The second part may very well be true as this was upstate in NY.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

What year was this ? Colleges have changed dramatically over the years.When I was an undergraduate it was possible to get a doctorate in certain subjects without having a masters degree.

Late in the 1960s.

51 minutes ago, mom says said:

I've seen nothing from either WHO or CDC to suggest not wearing masks. Our country's leading public health experts recommend it, and the majority of people in our area appear to comply. I will continue to do so until told otherwise by those experts I find credible.

I have gotten the flu vaccine every year for as long as I can remember,  and will continue to do so. I'm also up to date on all of the immunizations recommended by my health care provider.

Besides, it is kind of self-evident that ANY material over your mouth and nose must have SOME effect in reducing your intake of droplets exhaled by others.  Only absurd pettifogges will argue that if something is less than highly effective it is useless.

You have to wonder why so many seem to argue that point.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Law schools now award doctorates without a prior masters degree.

The masks are being required in many areas of the U.S..   The masks lessen the spread of virus from you to others in the vicinity.   You wear it to protect others, not to protect you.    The N95 respirator masks do not protect those around you.   Medical personnel wear these and they have been tested and are negative for COVID 19. 

1 hour ago, mom says said:

WOW,we finally agree on something.😀

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Yep, wearing masks in my county hasn't been a recommendation, it is an order.  Everyone wears one as required, though I do see some being worn improperly.  Fortunately our results have been good and we are starting to see some opening of things, but masks are still required.  There was another thread with posts about "one-way" aisles in grocery stores.  Some of ours have them and some don't.  However all retail establishments must have the 6 foot marks for lining up at the register.  

I did not start getting the flu shot until I was in my 60's.  Before, I would get sick with the flu every year.  Mrs Ldubs says I was like a bug attractor.  Since starting up the annual flu vaccines, I have not had a single flu.  

So, wear a mask,  because it stops you spreading CV19 if you have it. Totally agree with that especially  if you are in a confined area.

Wearing a mask because you think it may protect you - OK,  but only if you wear a face shield as well. 

If you spend 15 minutes talking to someone,  with less than 2 metres separation  you could spread or get the  virus. But seriously,  how many of us will do that?.

5 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

The WSJ today in an article on the need for masks while exercising outside quoted Richard Martinello, associate professor of infectious disease at the Yale School of Medicine saying studies on the effectiveness of non medical grade masks have proven  to be of little beneficial use.

Thanks, I don't have the time or energy to review the study referenced by the newspaper and probably am not qualified anyway.  My preference is to continue to follow what my local health professionals say.   

Kind of like seat belts or air bags.   Preventive steps.    

14 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

The WSJ today in an article on the need for masks while exercising outside quoted Richard Martinello, associate professor of infectious disease at the Yale School of Medicine saying studies on the effectiveness of non medical grade masks have proven  to be of little beneficial use.

And  a “little beneficial use” is worthless?  How much beneficial use  would you recognize as being worth trying for?   Does it have to be 98% — or would 88% make the threshold?

Are you aware that now 19 states are now seeing upticks in COVID infection?  And that Virginia is one of them?  

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

And  a “little beneficial use” is worthless?  How much beneficial use  would you recognize as being worth trying for?   Does it have to be 98% — or would 88% make the threshold?

Are you aware that now 19 states are now seeing upticks in COVID infection?  And that Virginia is one of them?  

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Every US state and every country on the planet who had residents who looted the past 10 days or protesters not wearing masks and or not socially distancing are very likely to find that the virus is increasing.The looters have no concern for other people.

Those in the two other categories should have been socially responsible.

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Little beneficial Use means exactly that - of no value added. Seems pretty obvious. I live here in Virginia  and the virus rate has been going down steadily and we are in phase 2. In our county of 80,000 we have had 202 cases in three months, few hospitalization and 15 deaths mostly from Senior care facilities, not the general public. The rest of the Tidewater area with few million is similar. Only Northern  Virginia Had an issue and they are rapidly declining. The number of cases is irrelevant, as that is function of testing not severity of the illness. But wear what gives you comfort. 

How can you say “Little beneficial use” is of “no value added”?   “Little” means some small amount “no” means none.  

The rate in Virginia had been going down, but it is now on an up tick.  I suggest you check statistics — as well as the meanings of the words you use.