Anthem Obstructed Balcony Rooms

Are there obstructed balconies on Anthem that are better than others?  Any guide of which ones to avoid?  

Or is the price difference for a regular balcony worth it?  We are looking at March or Dec so wouldn't be spending a ton of time out there but would be nice to see the water from our room and be able to get some fresh air.

Currently have regular balconies booked for December, but am looking at all alternative options.

Thanks.

Edited by LuCruise

1 minute ago, DaniDanielle said:

We have booked obstructed on several cruises but only if there is a big difference in price.  We have had 75% and found it okay.  We always saw the ocean😄

75% obstructed?  Or 75% unobstructed?  Do you remember the stateroom or location?

The obstructed balconies are obstructed by lifeboats. We booked the least expensive non obstructed balcony on deck 6. It was just below Jamie's Italian outside dining area and it was never used on a 9 day cruise. I would book this room 6264 again.

q657DEu0RKqB99m5zj3BPw.jpg

if1VJzOIQDWPWb+GAVzg0w.jpg

58161671297__40603A36-8F24-4783-8AA1-C9DA8EED78F6.JPG

Thanks for the replies.  And the picture helps .

4 hours ago, robtulipe said:

Below is a deck 6 plan I did showing Anthem's lifeboat davits. Definitely avoid balconies with the large arrows in front, especially if there are two, which are for the large davits. 

AnthemDavits.jpg

This is great too.  Thanks so much for sharing.

6 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

The obstructed balconies are obstructed by lifeboats. We booked the least expensive non obstructed balcony on deck 6. It was just below Jamie's Italian outside dining area and it was never used on a 9 day cruise. I would book this room 6264 again.

I had the opposite experience with Jamie's outside dining area and would not book near that again.  The area is lit up at night until 11pm or so making for lots of light on the balconies near it.  We like to sit on our balcony at night and have a drink, too much light ruined the ambiance.  There was also a large party out there one night, with children running in circles from the restaurant area, out onto the deck and around and around in circles.  Adults didn't care, we gave up and went inside.

4 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

75% obstructed.  Deck six about five cabins from aft.  It actually worked out well because we were close to the “secret” door going into 270 second floor.

I didn't realize that the door was a secret. Those on deck 6 probably use it the most. We spent a lot of time there at the bar and that's where we ate lunch. It was pretty quite and not crazy like Wind Jammer. 

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I had the opposite experience with Jamie's outside dining area and would not book near that again.  The area is lit up at night until 11pm or so making for lots of light on the balconies near it.  We like to sit on our balcony at night and have a drink, too much light ruined the ambiance.  There was also a large party out there one night, with children running in circles from the restaurant area, out onto the deck and around and around in circles.  Adults didn't care, we gave up and went inside.

I was gambling when I booked it but I didn't want a boat in front of us. Jamie's was dead the entire week. We were offered a 30% discount to eat there one night and we were the only 4 there. Another group came in just as we were finishing dessert. They offered us 50% off on the last night but we declined because we were a group of 5 and the 5th person didn't want to eat there and we didn't want to leave her stranded on the last night.  We sailed June 6th so there were hardly any kids on board. If it was a July sailing I may not have booked that room.

10 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I was gambling when I booked it but I didn't want a boat in front of us. Jamie's was dead the entire week. We were offered a 30% discount to eat there one night and we were the only 4 there. Another group came in just as we were finishing dessert. They offered us 50% off on the last night but we declined because we were a group of 5 and the 5th person didn't want to eat there and we didn't want to leave her stranded on the last night.  We sailed June 6th so there were hardly any kids on board. If it was a July sailing I may not have booked that room.

Surprised you didn't have many kids on board.  This particular sailing was in November and there were a decent amount of kids.  We have sailed Anthem five times, all sailings between September and February.  Haven't encountered thousands of kids, but many more than you would expect during the school year.

The light pollution was really the biggest issue, we like to watch ships and storms in the distance.

Edited by reallyitsmema

New Jersey has teachers week or some type of school holiday in November. I only know about this because of what I read here.  Late May and Early June has always worked out for us as far as kids go. New York, New Jersey schools let out mid to late June.

15 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

New Jersey has teachers week or some type of school holiday in November. I only know about this because of what I read here.  Late May and Early June has always worked out for us as far as kids go. New York, New Jersey schools let out mid to late June.

I avoid that week like the plague!  I always look up when that is and a few other group sailings that tend to sail Anthem. 😄 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NSnewcruiser said:

This was our view from cabin 6560.Clear view straight out and forward.Bit block by the davit looking to the right.

20191109_155740.jpg

What was the view looking downward toward the water?  We enjoy seeing the waves lap against the ship.

Sounds like being ontop of Jamie's is a hit and miss.  

NSnewcruiser, wow...great room.  But I"m looking at Anthem's deck plan and 6560 is not marked as obstructed.  Maybe it used to be and they realized it really isn't so they re-categorized it?

taglovestocruise, those are definitely pretty awful views.  Don't think you put the room numbers for those.

Mermion_Mom, thanks.  I have notes those.  It looks like they are on the ends so we would avoid unless they are the only ones left.

7 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Sounds like being ontop of Jamie's is a hit and miss.  

NSnewcruiser, wow...great room.  But I"m looking at Anthem's deck plan and 6560 is not marked as obstructed.  Maybe it used to be and they realized it really isn't so they re-categorized it?

taglovestocruise, those are definitely pretty awful views.  Don't think you put the room numbers for those.

Mermion_Mom, thanks.  I have notes those.  It looks like they are on the ends so we would avoid unless they are the only ones left.

It was for our cruise last Nov.I looked at the deck plans and see what you mean but then looked at the plans for Aril 2021-April 2022 and it's listed there as obstructed.Maybe it's a misprint,wouldn't hurt to check.We liked the location as it was really close to the forward elevators and stairs.

3 hours ago, NSnewcruiser said:

It was for our cruise last Nov.I looked at the deck plans and see what you mean but then looked at the plans for Aril 2021-April 2022 and it's listed there as obstructed.Maybe it's a misprint,wouldn't hurt to check.We liked the location as it was really close to the forward elevators and stairs.

I see what you mean.  The obstructed symbol shows on the Apr 25 plus link.  Wonder why as there are no changes in that time. 

We were in cabin 6704 right at the back.Liked being able to use the secret door. (It might not be so secret now )

We sailed in 2015.The room was very quiet no traffic you could see ok standing up and we enjoyed the fresh air. 

It was great for the price we paid.

IMG-20150601-WA0002.jpg

Edited by orla56
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mousy said:

We stayed in room #6658. Which is classed as obstructed.

Here is a YouTube video of the room from last November if you are interested.

Thanks so much for the video of your room.  Once you are sailing it doesn't seem too bad.  i.e. it looks better with the water in the background vs the port

21 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks so much for the video of your room.  Once you are sailing it doesn't seem too bad.  i.e. it looks better with the water in the background vs the port

We researched this room before we booked it. The Lifeboat in front of this room is a little shorter so it does not come up and block the balcony as much.

Also the room shape is a little different. more of a square instead of a long rectangle