CCL Stock

Roberto256

I noticed this on motley fool:

"The COVID-19 pandemic has surely sunk Carnival Cruise Line (NYSE:CCL), right? There's no way the company could recover from the immense negative publicity and dockets filling with pending lawsuits, right?"

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/05/22/do-carnival-insiders-know-something-we-should.aspx

And, from a few days ago:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/05/17/will-cruise-stocks-ever-be-profitable-again.aspx

28 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Vaccine will be in  place by end of October … half-full 🥃

Vaccines are not the silver bullet many believe.  There's no reason to expect a COVID vaccine will be significantly more effective than the common flu vaccine which, in a good year is 50% effective and in a bad year 30% effective.  That said, the psychological impact of a vaccine may well trump its effectiveness and sound an "All Clear".

As for CCL stock.....  I've been following NCLH, but haven't bought any yet.  My thinking is that the return to cruising will likely be led by the young who are not as threatened by COVID.  Norwegian is more a pure play on the younger party boat demographic.  However, my prediction is that we will see another severe market drop in the fall as the reality of our economic situation becomes clearer.  For instance, I expect a large spike in unemployment as companies that are currently keeping staff onboard, due to restrictions tied to government loans, see those restrictions expire and move quickly to reduce staff.  I also expect we will be seeing a surge in bankruptcies - some of them being large corporations (airlines, cruise lines, etc.).  I'm sitting about 50% in cash waiting for an opportunity in the fall.  In the meantime I'm still making some money in the market as it continues this rally which I think is based more on hope than reason.

Bought 100 shares at $55ish many years ago.  Lost my shirt on that 🥴 but at least it was only 100 shares.
Bought 1,000 shares at just a little over $10 a share.  Have made a nice little bit on that already!  🙂  I plan to hang on to it for years and hope it will eventually get back up to the $55 a share mark or better.  Just a little fun investment.

• Like 4

LOL, in a falling tide the analysts will talk about the end of the world

When the tide is rising they find a reason to explain it.

The whole art of gambling is out guess, those trying to out guess the guessers/investors 

• Like 3

I have a related question to the topic of the thread. We recently purchased 100 shares not as an investment but as a means to get OBC. Now I cannot find any mention on Princess.com as to how to apply. Has this been discontinued?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Big Tiger Fan said:

I have a related question to the topic of the thread. We recently purchased 100 shares not as an investment but as a means to get OBC. Now I cannot find any mention on Princess.com as to how to apply. Has this been discontinued?

You bought Carnival Corporation stock, hopefully.  If you bought Princess stock, I have a bridge to sell you 😁

https://www.carnivalcorporation.com/

Look under  Investor Relations on the top row, then Shareholder Information again on the top row.

• Thanks 1

I bought in today.  Was hoping to buy at 14, but oh well, but glad to hear of some positive vaccine news.  Has anyone had trouble getting OBC?  There are some exclusions for reduced rate cruises..but not sure what that means exactly.. not many pay published prices.

Just now, BTfan said:

I bought in today.  Was hoping to buy at 14, but oh well, but glad to hear of some positive vaccine news.  Has anyone had trouble getting OBC?  There are some exclusions for reduced rate cruises..but not sure what that means exactly.. not many pay published prices.

The exclusions are generally if you were a TA and got a special rate to evaluate the vessels or you were getting a free trip etc.  It doesn't apply to bookings where you booked a good sale promotion.

• Like 3

In my infinite wisdom, I see 2 possibilities.....

1) Cruising resumes in late summer/early fall and demand is strong.  Reviews confirm that social distancing measures have not seriously degraded the cruise experience. There are no major COVID incidents. Cruise stocks soar and never look back.

2) Cruising resumes, but there are COVID incidents/port refusals etc.  Cruising is again suspended.  Cruise stocks crash to below recent lows.

Of course there's always the odd chance I'm wrong and something in between 1 & 2 occurs.  That's what makes a market🤪

I wish I had purchased some when it was under $9 a share. At least I have already made back the amount I spent 10 years ago in onboard credit and dividends. I suspect they'll suspend the latter soon, at least until ships start sailing again.

9 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I wish I had purchased some when it was under $9 a share. At least I have already made back the amount I spent 10 years ago in onboard credit and dividends. I suspect they'll suspend the latter soon, at least until ships start sailing again.

CCL suspended the dividend March 31st 

21 minutes ago, geoherb said:

Have no fear it will drop again, LOL

11 hours ago, chipmaster said:

Have no fear it will drop again, LOL

Who knows. Unless they don't sail for a very long time I don't see it going below the lowest price it's been the last few months (under $8/share).  Today the stock price reach $18.12 but it's since gone back to under $17/share.

41 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

I guess it depends on what flattening the curve means. CCL stock price certainly hasn't flattened any curve 😝

I was writing tongue in cheek.  Actually what I need is a nice sharp curve up.

• Like 1