Where do service animals go to the bathroom?

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

For real. If anyone needs emotional support from an animal, they should stay at home in the house with their pet.

Thanks for adding that, I forgot that important part.

Edited by L454S
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

True service animals use a box or something set up on deck. I don't believe emotional support animals are allowed on ship.

I was on a cruise on the Norwegian Dawn in October 2019.There was a passenger with an emotional support dog.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was on a cruise on the Norwegian Dawn in October 2019.There was a passenger with an emotional support dog.

Norwegian Cruise Line accepts service dogs that are trained to perform a specific task. A service dog may be needed for many different conditions, which would be acceptable under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines.

In accordance with the ADA, Norwegian Cruise Line does NOT accept “Emotional Support” dogs as service dogs, they CANNOT sail.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CCLNCLRCICRUISER said:

Norwegian Cruise Line accepts service dogs that are trained to perform a specific task. A service dog may be needed for many different conditions, which would be acceptable under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines.

In accordance with the ADA, Norwegian Cruise Line does NOT accept “Emotional Support” dogs as service dogs, they CANNOT sail.

That is what I always thought but there was a woman holding a tiny dog and her husband said it was an Emotional support dog.She seemed to be very friendly with many of the ships officers.

4 hours ago, johnjen said:

For real. If anyone needs emotional support from an animal, they should stay at home in the house with their pet.

wow... here is a person with no empathy for anyone whatsoever...this statement frankly is embarrassing. its a shame more people dont actually do the research on mental health. there is no different between a mental health issue and a physical health issue.. its like me saying 'all the people with wheelchairs get in my way so I wish they would just stay home with their wheelchair

I do agree people totally abuse the system and there is not a need in many cases but this statement above is callous and heartless.

(for the record I do not have an emotional support animal or know anyone that does. I do however do research and educate myself on mental health challenges)

Edited by hftmrock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CCLNCLRCICRUISER said:

As it should be. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, johnjen said:

Why do you believe that someone who has had a traumatic event in their life should only be relegated to their house?  Why don't you believe they have the right to go out and enjoy life also?  It is probably very therapeutic for them to go out and do stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hftmrock said:

wow... here is a person with no empathy for anyone whatsoever...this statement frankly is embarrassing. its a shame more people dont actually do the research on mental health. there is no different between a mental health issue and a physical health issue.. its like me saying 'all the people with wheelchairs get in my way so I wish they would just stay home with their wheelchair

I do agree people totally abuse the system and there is not a need in many cases but this statement above is callous and heartless.

(for the record I do not have an emotional support animal or know anyone that does. I do however do research and educate myself on mental health challenges)

Hftmrock, people like that are the reason I gave up emergency nursing.   A great majority of humanity has no empathy for anyone else. The greatest extreme I have seen was while we were working on a coded child, another (adult not related to the child) patient walked into the room, stated that the child was dead, and he was more important.  This happened twice in my career.  Each time that adult patient could have dropped dead right there, and I would have just stepped right over their body to continue doing what I was doing without a second thought.   Animals are better than people.

• Like 1

My daughter has to search out the litter box on every ship we have been on.  She has always been fascinated by this for some reason.  I think she is hoping one day she will see a dog there.  She always misses the pup when we travel.  We saw a "service" chihuahua once at Disney riding in the motorized scooter of the owner wearing a matching shirt with all the rest of the family with a magic band around it's neck like a collar.  🙂

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

FYI, Royal no longer allows emotional support animals aboard their ships.  Service animals only. 

Thank goodness.  No more little fluffys dressed in full outfits being pushed around in strollers.  And peeing and pooping in public spaces, not to mention the staterooms.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tljcruiser said:

My daughter has to search out the litter box on every ship we have been on.  She has always been fascinated by this for some reason.  I think she is hoping one day she will see a dog there.  She always misses the pup when we travel.  We saw a "service" chihuahua once at Disney riding in the motorized scooter of the owner wearing a matching shirt with all the rest of the family with a magic band around it's neck like a collar.  🙂

That's nice. I enjoy seeing dogs on a cruise ship too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Thank goodness.  No more little fluffys dressed in full outfits being pushed around in strollers.  And peeing and pooping in public spaces, not to mention the staterooms.

you will still have peeing and pooping for service animals.

Just now, voyager70 said:

Yes but in proper, designated areas.  Big difference.

if any animal did not go in the designated areas the owner would get a warning and risk getting fined or thrown off so generally speaking I dont see this as a huge issue. There have been stories here on CC about this

Just now, hftmrock said:

if any animal did not go in the designated areas the owner would get a warning and risk getting fined or thrown off so generally speaking I dont see this as a huge issue. There have been stories here on CC about this

Unfortunately the cruise lines, at least RC, tended to look the other way when an "emotional support animal" had an accident in a public space.  There are many posts reporting this

• Like 2

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

Unfortunately the cruise lines, at least RC, tended to look the other way when an "emotional support animal" had an accident in a public space.  There are many posts reporting this

I have been here and while I do read the occasion post (rare) about this. I read more about chair hogs, drink package sharing, smoking in the wrong places, etc that you will ever find about pee or poop. I wont say its not a thing... just not that prevalent. I hear about wheelchairs running into people too... should we stop people from coming on with wheelchairs?

1 hour ago, Tljcruiser said:

I love this story.  Now that I know about these spots, I will probably watch for dogs too.  I know I can't pet them while they are on duty, but it will make my day just to see them. 

The Magic Band as a collar is a cute idea.  My dogs are way too big to use it on them though.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hftmrock said:

I have been here and while I do read the occasion post (rare) about this. I read more about chair hogs, drink package sharing, smoking in the wrong places, etc that you will ever find about pee or poop. I wont say its not a thing... just not that prevalent. I hear about wheelchairs running into people too... should we stop people from coming on with wheelchairs?

Be careful what you ask.  Some people on here seem to be biased against those with disabilities.  You may be disappointed by the answer.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mallefiscent said:

Be careful what you ask.  Some people on here seem to be biased against those with disabilities.  You may be disappointed by the answer.  

I'm seeing that... unfortunately

4 minutes ago, hftmrock said:

Oh come on.  You're comparing apples to oranges now.  Of course wheel chairs should not be banned.  Stop it.

• Like 2