Misty Fjords by plane, or by boat?

cat shepard

Hi all

I definitely want to visit Misty Fjords when I travel to Alaska next September. I am undecided between touring there by float plane with a landing on part of the fjord, or a boat that actually travels up through the fjords. Both seem to offer so much. My priorities for this visit are wildlife and nature.

Has anyone toured both ways? Did you enjoy one more than the other? Why?

If you only toured one way - was there anything that you were thrilled with? Or anything you wished was different?

I welcome any thoughts & opinions!

Stay well everyone.

Ann

We did the flight with Island Wings. We landed on a small alpine lake known as Lake Manzoni. The views were impossible to describe and better live than photographed. Michelle is an amazing host/owner. Here is a sample of what you will see from the air.

fRx3sdb.jpg

DRhjMog.jpg

otxgC8o.jpg

VAwXDyF.jpg

ZmOlbzb.jpg

perxBSC.jpg

nW5NeyJ.jpg

Btf9Pkq.jpg

• Like 3

I did a combo here where I flew and then landed and then took the boat back.

The scenery is far superior on the plane. The boat was beautiful during one small section and the rest reminded me of other parts of Alaska you see from the ship.

Most here agree the plane is superior. I do have to add, for some reason, everyone on our plane felt sick (thankfully didn't get sick) and we were all glad to land and take the boat back. I don't know if there was more turbulence that day or what but I am not anxious to get on a plane there again. I have flown small planes previously so it wasn't that. I seem to be in the minority here as many people do plane rides every time they go to Ketchikan.

I did see a bear when we landed.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

I've rebooked my canceled Holland America cruise for next year (we'd be in Ketchikan today, in fact), and while HAL had a flight in/boat back (or vice versa) combo excursion listed then, I don't see it now. I'm hesitant to book just the flight in case it gets canceled due to weather and I end up with no shore excursion at all. Plus my wife and mother in law will take the Misty Fjords cruise only since there's no way I'm convincing them to get on a floatplane. I'm thinking I might just go with them on that and save the flight for Juneau, but I hate the idea of missing out...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, masterdrago said:

We did the flight with Island Wings. We landed on a small alpine lake known as Lake Manzoni. The views were impossible to describe and better live than photographed. Michelle is an amazing host/owner. Here is a sample of what you will see from the air.

DRhjMog.jpg

Spectacular pictures, thank you for sharing!

Edited by cat shepard

27 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

In all honesty, with a September cruise, it would be a roll of the dice anyways if planes can fly or the boat can get in. 

Even early in September? - I think we are there around the 10th.

Edited by cat shepard

5 hours ago, strickerj said:

I've rebooked my canceled Holland America cruise for next year (we'd be in Ketchikan today, in fact), and while HAL had a flight in/boat back (or vice versa) combo excursion listed then, I don't see it now. I'm hesitant to book just the flight in case it gets canceled due to weather and I end up with no shore excursion at all. Plus my wife and mother in law will take the Misty Fjords cruise only since there's no way I'm convincing them to get on a floatplane. I'm thinking I might just go with them on that and save the flight for Juneau, but I hate the idea of missing out...

DW is the same way about flying. Totally white knuckled on the several commercials we took last year. She had the best time ever on the 2 we took in the 14 days. Best was around Denali - way spectacular. We did have to cancel one due to RCI screwing up our time. She had absolutely no issues with the float planes and ski-planes at all.

Qrohp05.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Even early in September? - I think we are there around the 10th.

I'm thinking you are going this year.... 105cruise may be referring to the issues with 'Rona. If it is for next year, otherwise.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

DW is the same way about flying. Totally white knuckled on the several commercials we took last year. She had the best time ever on the 2 we took in the 14 days. Best was around Denali - way spectacular. We did have to cancel one due to RCI screwing up our time. She had absolutely no issues with the float planes and ski-planes at all. ...

Thanks, that does look like fun! My parents had the glacier landing flight booked in Denali but it got canceled due to weather - much to my mom's relief, I think! On a spur of the moment, we've decided to book a cruise to Progreso and Cozumel this fall, and assuming it isn't canceled, I'm thinking taking the flight to Chichen Itza (on a lightweight but conventional-gear aircraft) might be a good stepping stone to the one in Alaska. (My wife was an anthropology major and really wants to see the Mayan sites, and you don't get much time there on the bus tour.)

Hands down, my best shore excursion anywhere was the Misty Fjords Float Plane trip where we landed on a lake and was helped out of the plane to stand on the plane's floats for awhile.  This was my first flight in such a small plane and I did have to "screw up my courage" to do it.  I was so glad that I did!  And, I have done other such small plane trips since.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

I'm thinking you are going this year.... 105cruise may be referring to the issues with 'Rona. If it is for next year, otherwise.

Thanks. I am talking about September 2021. @1025cruise, was your comment focused on the impact the virus might have? Or the climate in September? I am planning a trip for September 2021.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Hands down, my best shore excursion anywhere was the Misty Fjords Float Plane trip where we landed on a lake and was helped out of the plane to stand on the plane's floats for awhile.  This was my first flight in such a small plane and I did have to "screw up my courage" to do it.  I was so glad that I did!  And, I have done other such small plane trips since.

To go with Michelle of Island Wings is a true delight. We got to hang out on the alpine lake for about 15 minutes. It was pretty surreal for us Texans.

pDS7tqZ.jpg

UaJS1Qq.jpg

And hey bottom-dragger, I was always confused about that spelling also..... always want to spell it like on the topo🙃

fjord or fiord

(fyɔrd, fyoʊrd, fiˈɔrd, -ˈoʊrd)

n.

1. a long narrow arm of the sea bordered by steep cliffs usu. formed by glacial erosion.
2. (in Scandinavia) a bay.
[1670–80; < Norwegian; see firth]
fjord′ic, adj.

19 hours ago, masterdrago said:

fRx3sdb.jpg

DRhjMog.jpg

otxgC8o.jpg

VAwXDyF.jpg

ZmOlbzb.jpg

perxBSC.jpg

nW5NeyJ.jpg

Btf9Pkq.jpg

We also did the Island Wings with Michelle. It was far and away the best excursion we have ever taken. The complete seclusion when landing in the middle of nowhere was fantastic. We are going back to Alaska in May,2021 and are going to book with them again.

11 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

My comment is based on the climate. There's a reason the Alaska cruising season ends in September. Its extremely possible that the weather might make access to some spots difficult.

Thank you. I was hoping that early a September would be safe. But I will make sure that whatever I book comes with a great cancellation policy.

We did a tour that took us out by boat and brought us back by floatplane.  This was in June 2001 though, so not sure if still offered.  I much preferred the aerial views, though the Or a encounter when we were on the boat was amazing.  Best of both worlds.

2 minutes ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

We did a tour that took us out by boat and brought us back by floatplane.  This was in June 2001 though, so not sure if still offered.  I much preferred the aerial views, though the Or a encounter when we were on the boat was amazing.  Best of both worlds.

Thank you. I have started my search for a combo tour, but no luck yet.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, cat shepard said:

Thank you. I have started my search for a combo tour, but no luck yet.

Honestly  -the boat reviews have been mediocre. I would search them out before making a decision. I thought it was pretty/unique for about 15 minutes and then the rest was the same as what you see from a cruise ship.

• Thanks 1

We did the boat only cruise last week of May 2019.  Had originally booked a floatplane to Taku, but changed to the cruise when we boarded our ship in Seward. Weather that day turned out to be really cloudy, and while flights weren't cancelled, there is no way we would have gotten the photos above.  

That said, we both really enjoyed the cruise. Being up close to the walls of the fjord and being able to get right next to a waterfall made it worthwhile.  Then, the time spent at the glacier, where we saw lots of calving and heard a loud clap of glacial thunder (only time we heard it), plus being close to icbergs and having the luxury of the crew letting us stay at interesting sights without worrying about a tight schedule, made for a much different experience than the cruise ship. And we were able to watch a black bear eating mussels from the shore on the way out of the fjord!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blondie59 said:

We did the boat only cruise last week of May 2019.  Had originally booked a floatplane to Taku, but changed to the cruise when we boarded our ship in Seward. Weather that day turned out to be really cloudy, and while flights weren't cancelled, there is no way we would have gotten the photos above.  

That said, we both really enjoyed the cruise. Being up close to the walls of the fjord and being able to get right next to a waterfall made it worthwhile.  Then, the time spent at the glacier, where we saw lots of calving and heard a loud clap of glacial thunder (only time we heard it), plus being close to icbergs and having the luxury of the crew letting us stay at interesting sights without worrying about a tight schedule, made for a much different experience than the cruise ship. And we were able to watch a black bear eating mussels from the shore on the way out of the fjord!

Are you talking about Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm?

There were no glaciers on our Misty Fjord boat trip. Also Taku Lodge is out of Juneau and we are talking about Ketchikan. So if you cancelled the flight for Taku Lodge - that would have been a different port.

Edited by Coral

6 minutes ago, blondie59 said:

Yes, Coral, you are right, it was Tracy Arm.  Been one of those weeks, sorry!

Tried to delete, but too late.

Tracy Arm is spectacular in a small boat!

• Like 2