Carnival Corp. sued over COVID negligence

lagienomai

46 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Not fair. The little guy could never sue then,  for fear of losing.  People love to bash lawyers but when you need one they are there to represent you.  

I'm from a family of attorneys. People need to educate themselves when selecting representation.  A good lawyer will advise if a case is worth going forward.  There are too many frivolous lawsuits out there.  Think about the other side.  An unnecessary lawsuit can be devastating to a small business or eat up an individual's life savings and more to defend.  And you know what? Life is not fair.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I'm from a family of attorneys. People need to educate themselves when selecting representation.  A good lawyer will advise if a case is worth going forward.  There are too many frivolous lawsuits out there.  Think about the other side.  An unnecessary lawsuit can be devastating to a small business or eat up an individual's life savings and more to defend.  And you know what? Life is not fair.

Correct,  the system is not perfect.  Most lawyers don't want to waste their time on a pointless lawsuit. I know, my daughter is a lawyer.  The majority  of cases are settled out of court.  If life was fair, the horse would ride half of the time.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Correct,  the system is not perfect.  Most lawyers don't want to waste their time on a pointless lawsuit. I know, my daughter is a lawyer.  The majority  of cases are settled out of court.  If life was fair, the horse would ride half of the time.  

It seems like every other billboard for lawyers in south Florida advertises former cruise line attorney. I suspect many are willing to nickle and dime cruise lines into a decent income.

16 hours ago, lagienomai said:

All I can say is really. So much was unknown from what we know now. And to say the ships aren't cleaned between guests seems absurd to say the least. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/carnival-sued-by-passengers-alleging-negligence-over-covid-19/ar-BB14Wk85?li=BBnbfcN

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cruise-ships-set-sail-knowing-the-deadly-risk-to-passengers-and-crew-11588346502

3 hours ago, Florings said:

How did anyone NOT see that happening?   The deaths onboard were tragic, there will be those who look for recompense.

There are ambulance chasers everywhere. Today I saw on tv a lawyer ad for going after the Boy Scouts for sexual abuse that specifically said you don't have long because of potential bankruptcies. And I see ads for going after Johnson & Johnson. And I see ads for going after the Catholic Church. And probably we will all see ads for going after cruise lines.

• Like 1

Carnival (Corp) even mentioned having to defend lawsuits in the SEC filing, so they are well aware of human nature and knew it would be coming LOL 😉

In addition, we expect to incur ongoing selling and administrative expenses, and incremental COVID-related costs associated with sanitizing our ships and defending lawsuits, although we anticipate substantially reducing our advertising spend during the pause in operations.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/815097/000095014220000946/eh2000552_ex9901.htm

16 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Well said

9 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Carnival (Corp) even mentioned having to defend lawsuits in the SEC filing, so they are well aware of human nature and knew it would be coming LOL 😉

In addition, we expect to incur ongoing selling and administrative expenses, and incremental COVID-related costs associated with sanitizing our ships and defending lawsuits, although we anticipate substantially reducing our advertising spend during the pause in operations.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/815097/000095014220000946/eh2000552_ex9901.htm

If by human nature you meant greed I would agree.  The ONLY winners in a class action suit are the suits, period.

Can’t see why everyone is protecting the cruise industry.  They do what they want, and as long you are not sick it’s just doesn’t matter,   Every other place has stands not the cruise lines,

3 hours ago, jakeT said:

Can’t see why everyone is protecting the cruise industry.  They do what they want, and as long you are not sick it’s just doesn’t matter,   Every other place has stands not the cruise lines,

What, protecting the cruise industry. Your opinion only. If you ever owned a business and I have owned several. People will sue if you look at them or say something to them the wrong way. So give me a break. No business, cruise industry or any other will do whatever they can FOR the customer and do there very BEST to keep them happy and safe.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 8:53 PM, SeaHunt said:

Corporations, including Carnival, are require to disclose anything that might have an impact on earnings. One of many ways Carnival is being transparent.

3 hours ago, jakeT said:

Because only a few are unfairly making cruise lines out to be scapegoats does not mean the super majority is defending them.

4 hours ago, jakeT said:

Different motivations, some are super  fans and feel a Hard loyalty to them , some love cruising and are concerned it will raise fares , some are tied to the hip as they make money from the industry .. ta , insurance, providers and such .. Some just hate litigious society .. it’s Avery interesting time for the industry , all travel and leisure really 

5 hours ago, jakeT said:

Maybe because they think the cruise industry does what hey can.  Maybe because the industry is being held to a totally different standard than any other.  Maybe because they know the level that the industry goes to to ensure the safety of their guests.   Maybe because they enjoy the cruise experience above most others.  Lastly, maybe because they think the cruise lines are not the blame or the problem.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

What, protecting the cruise industry. Your opinion only. If you ever owned a business and I have owned several. People will sue if you look at them or say something to them the wrong way. So give me a break. No business, cruise industry or any other will do whatever they can FOR the customer and do there very BEST to keep them happy and safe.

Here's the disparity.  Someone looking at you the wrong way and someone dying.  One is not worth suing and one is. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

On 6/3/2020 at 12:52 AM, lagienomai said:

All I can say is really. So much was unknown from what we know now. And to say the ships aren't cleaned between guests seems absurd to say the least. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/carnival-sued-by-passengers-alleging-negligence-over-covid-19/ar-BB14Wk85?li=BBnbfcN

Someone trying to make a quick dollar.. like that woman who sued McDonald's after spilling her own coffee on herself then saying they didn't tell her it was hot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cscurlock said:

Here's the disparity.  Someone looking at you the wrong way and someone dying.  One is not worth suing and one is. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Let's not stretch it. Saying the cruise industry cares less about your health and does not do anything to do their very best to prevent this type of situation or any other dangerous situation. Really! ? Sue because a person died from the virus. Go ahead and spin your wheels.  The cruise industry did NOT MAKE anyone catch the virus. I am sure an ambulance chaser will be very happy to try to squeeze them so they can make a good chunk if they win. IF. First above all, the cruise industry MUST be at fault. They are NOT! They did not knowingly bring the virus onboard any ship. If a person thinks they did. They certainly have another guess coming.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Let's not stretch it. Saying the cruise industry cares less about your health and does not do anything to do their very best to prevent this type of situation or any other dangerous situation. Really! ? Sue because a person died from the virus. Go ahead and spin your wheels.  The cruise industry did NOT MAKE anyone catch the virus. I am sure an ambulance chaser will be very happy to try to squeeze them so they can make a good chunk if they win. IF. First above all, the cruise industry MUST be at fault. They are NOT! They did not knowingly bring the virus onboard any ship. If a person thinks they did. They certainly have another guess coming.

What did they do again to prevent this situation?  Oh yeah, nothing.

6 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

What did they do again to prevent this situation?  Oh yeah, nothing.

People die on cruise ships all the time. Sometimes on shore excursions.

It isn't the cruise line's job to keep obese people from eating, smokers from smoking (and second hand smoke), diabetics from a sugar coma, etc?

Why should cruise lines be held to a higher standard for covid-19 than a concert in an arena with more people than a fistful of cruises? Or even a barber shop?

The cruise line isn't your mother. If you look at some people the wrong way, you might die.

• Like 2

They are held to the same standard.  Trust me if someone contact traces the infection back to a barber shop they will get sued especially if they took no precautions which the cruise line did not.  The lawsuits are coming, don't worry about that.   Its even worse for the cruise ship because a lot of these people were stuck longer on the ship than the incubation period so it was caught on the ship.  Any lawyer worth their weight will be able to prove that.  I agree under normal circumstances the cruise lines do take very good care of the passengers.  But in this situation they should not have sailed.  It was about the money.

Seems a hard battle to prove Carnival has fault.  First, Carnival is incorporated in Panama -- I believe they have a different set of rules and laws when it come to lawsuits.  Second, it's hard to prove when and where a person got the covid.  The person bringing suit could be the perpetrator that brought covid onboard and spread the covid to begin with.

From this lay person's point of view, a lawsuit seem frivolous.  

• Like 1